Topic

Encourage trees in native climes.

I had an idea about how trees now are growing all over the place. Now this in itself is totally natural, invasive species and all, but in the end it does take away a little from the uniqueness of each region. So I had an idea:

Give each tree a primary region, where its lifespan and harvest yields are higher. The further away they are planted, the less they yield and their total lifespan is also shorter. You can still have spice trees all over the place, but Ix would still have the most fruitful and luscious ones, for example. Or cherry trees in Groddle Meadow. And so on.

This could eventually be expanded to the home streets, so that what landscape you choose for your home street influences the trees there as well, to a lesser degree. If you want a spice plantation, choose a landscape background that fits.

Sure, this adds another level of complexity, but this can be all hidden from view, only visible if you care about such things.

Good? Bad?

Posted 12 years ago by Saint Fnordius Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Thats not so bad, it would also get folks away from personal streets and into Ur more, which is good.

Just have to make sure there is a decent amount of trees, there were an *awful* lot of trees being whacked in Ix during the spice/gas wars.  I made a thread in here about adding a gas street but nothing came of it..
    Posted 12 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for Ur
    -1 for Home Streets
    In Ur i have no problem with this....it seems to make sense. However I don't like restrictions on style for housing or yards, I don't think its a good idea to have to change ones whole street or have certain resources deleted or blocked because, they aren't allowed with certain backgrounds, when i chose to have a certain street style. On top of that routes have been set up for quite a while and this would throw that system into turmoil. Also it might help if the Transformation Potions were tweaked  so the randomness depends on the region  the trees are in when you use the potion.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love this idea!  I think it's fantastic for Ur, and I like it for home streets too.  People can still grow whatever they want, but a bonus for native habitat makes a lot of sense to me.  If you INSIST on having 15 bean trees on your Uralia-themed street, more power to you, but why should the harvests be at max?
    Posted 12 years ago by Pale Queen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for Ur.

-1 for home streets... not all styles have a corresponding region in Ur. So, no matter what people have on the street, they would be penalized. My street is an example of this. Sure, I chose it for the aesthetics and because, I thought, It looked the best for my fuel route stuffs (even better than the bog styles!). The aesthetics definitely mean more to me than any harvesting or img I get from the stuff on my street (those things are just bonus), but it seems wrong that I should be penalized for it. 

(and, well, some of my favorite street styles don't have a corresponding region in Ur. I'd hate for fewer folks to use them because of this...)

One thing that I could definitely get behind is smaller harvests, in general, for home streets. Perhaps based on the number of specific resources you have. Maybe no penalty for 2 or 3 fruit trees (or metal rocks or whatever) but a small penalty for each additional one that you have. I don't think the penalty should be huge... it shouldn't completely negate routes and whatnots. But it should be big enough that you might consider, you know, going out into *gasp* Ur for stuff. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Vera Strange Subscriber! | Permalink