Topic

Arctic Region - with Wild Yeti Friends

The Arctic Land
A new region with a Wintery Theme located in the North on our World Map. The entire region(s) has the "Wintry Place" debuff (-1 energy per second unless a Hearty Meal is eaten).

The Resources here require a much cooler climate than is available on home streets. As such, they can't be domesticated and are world-only.

Resources:

Birch Tree: Can be harvested for Birch Sap. Birch Sap can be boiled down into Birch Syrup using a Saucepan.

Oat Plant: Functions as a tree; Arborology skills and upgrades affect the harvest. Can be harvested for Oats. Less common than Birch Trees.

Ice Rocks: Can be mined with a pick to produce Ice Cubes.

Snow Piles: Can be shoveled to produce Piles of Snow.
- Snow can be mixed with Hooch and Butterfly Milk in a Cocktail Shaker to make White Russians.
-
Snow can be mixed with Hooch and Oats in a Cocktail Shaker to make Beer.
- Snow can be mixed with Meat using a Blender to make Frosty Meat.

Yeti Caves:
The Arctic Region is home to Wild Yeti's. The resources in this land will periodically have a "Hey you, talk to me..." moment. If the player speaks to the resource they will describe the Abominable Snowmen who haunt the region. After listening to such a story the player is flagged to find Yeti Tracks.

Yeti Tracks spawn randomly, and can appear on any street in the Arctic Region. When they appear, they are visible only to the Player they spawned for, similar to a Rube or a Ghost. If the player clicks/interacts with the Yeti Tracks a Follow option appears.

Following the tracks transports the Player to an instanced Yeti Cave. There are random events that can occur inside a Yeti Cave:

No one home: the Cave is empty, but there a plethora of coins. 60% Chance.

A Yeti is Here: a Yeti is inside the cave. The Yeti is frightening, and the Player is paralyzed with fear. If the Player remains Paralyzed for too long, the Yeti will approach, steal an item, and kick the player out of the cave. Drinking a White Russian bestows the Liquid Courage buff, and prevents paralysis by Fear. If the player has liquid courage, they must feed the Yeti Frosty Meat to pacify it. Once Pacified, the player earns a Badge (Pacified a Yeti) and the player can brush the Yeti like a Fox to produce Fiber. 30% Chance.

There's an Abandoned Abominable Here: A Baby Yeti is in the Cave, in a basket, with a Note that reads "to a good home." The Player can pick up the Baby Yeti and bring it home. All Baby Yeti's have the same graphic. 10% Chance.

Yeti as House Pet
The Baby Yeti needs to be fed Frosty Meat to grow up into a Yeti Pet. This is akin to petting a tree-seedling. Once the Baby has eaten enough, it will fall alseep. When the player leaves their Home Street and then returns the Baby will have grown up into a Yeti Pet, which is smaller than the adult Yeti found in caves.

There are different Yeti Pet graphics, but which one you get is random, ranging from the standard all white to brown to spotted, etc.

The Yeti behaves as a hybrid Garden Gnome/Butler. You can teach it Phrases to repeat to visitors, and it walks around your Home Street (or back yard).

Yeti's must be fed Frosty Meat and Played with or else they will get Grumpy. A Grumpy Yeti will sit down and pout until it's no longer hungry and sad.

A Yeti's Lifespan is about the same as a Tree. If you apply an Animal Youth potion, the Yeti turns back into a Baby - but will retain the Graphic it had as a grown up Pet. Players can then trade Baby Yeti's to get the desired graphic.

There is a limit of 1 Yeti Pet per home street.

Posted 12 years ago by Godiva Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Interesting ideas - I like them.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mocha Maid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • this will eventually come, good thing starting to think now what there will be inside those regions, to don't have other new regions with nothing inside except quoins..

totally agree with finding an harvestable source for some of the vendor only food and ingredients

about the ice and snow, there could be a way to craft snow from ice blocks in a similar way flour gets chopped from grains
    or maybe crushed like for rocks
    Posted 12 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I completely agree!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Finley Linker Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 I would really really really like to own a yeti that would be sooooooooo cute. Please please please make yetis that can be tamed. I can actually picture it now cuddled in it's basket with a note hanging off it. . .
    Posted 12 years ago by Posie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't think it should be called a White Russian.

Perhaps a White Arannan?
    Posted 12 years ago by Seeen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ++++1111 trillion cool! *pun intended*
    Posted 12 years ago by Misty Power Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's obvious you haven't put much thought into this idea.

No but seriously... Great ideas! I do hope a frosty cold region is to come. And I love the idea of region specific plants we can't grow at home. ,
    Posted 12 years ago by sporks Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 this would be so cool!!

...is what i wanted to say, but someone already got there...
    Posted 12 years ago by jerk nugget Subscriber! | Permalink
  • plus +1million I love the idea of a wintry land, i know how you say not to have them on home streets but maybe subscribers as we already have the wintry background and house so like what if you could only use them on home streets if you had certain requirements but couldn't use the other resources there.
    Posted 12 years ago by Santa Clause Subscriber! | Permalink
  • plus +1 billion! Especially for yeti pets!
    Posted 12 years ago by Twinkle Star Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is well thought out. I support it.
    And being a Lebowski fan, anything that gets a White Russian into Ur is a good thing.
    But that's just, like, my opinion, man.
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • NICE!!! I want to go sledding!!  :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Muffett Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to all of that!  ...Except maybe the steal an item could be restricted to staples or something so you don't accidentally lose something super rare you were carrying around.  But I love the rest of it!!
    Posted 12 years ago by roler Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Would love an Arctic region
    Posted 12 years ago by The Mog Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1, as usual for your ideas, Godiva!

However, I agree with the above that they shouldn't be a White Russian, since there is no Russia in Ur.  White Aranna sounds good to me.  ;)

Also, oats don't really seem like a good fit for the area.  I do like all the other suggestions, though!
    Posted 12 years ago by Kadi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ermergerd ah wernt a bayber yeter.
    Posted 12 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink