Topic

Offline Mini Glitch - UPDATED

[UPDATE] Deus Marionette is working on putting together an offline version of Glitch... see their thread here: http://www.glitch.com/forum/general/29703/

I had an idea - maybe not a very good one.

But...

Wouldn't it be great if we could have a tiny-mini offline version of Glitch?  It doesn't need to do all the things Glitch does.  It doesn't need to be the game that Glitch is.  Just something we could all keep and play ten years from now so we can think back on how wonderful this game was.

Something that is just maybe one street big.  With some animals and rocks and trees.  So we can pet and harvest and mine.  And just run around and remember.  We don't even need inventories.  No point in collecting things.  Just to be able to DO the things we once did again would be neat.  It doesn't have to save your progress.  The piggies don't need to get old.  It's just a little window into what Glitch once was.

So, again.  I'm not sure that this is a very feasible idea - or a very good one.  Maybe it could be something the community could build in memory of the game.  I know that if I could do this I would.

Because: of all the things that make me sad about Glitch closing - one of the things is the idea of never being able to set foot in Ur ever again...

So maybe, just maybe some other people think this is a good idea... and are amazing people that can make this idea come to life.  maybe?

Posted 11 years ago by Dissonance Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I want to take my street and house with me!
    Posted 11 years ago by Kip Konner Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really do wish there was a small part of Ur I could always keep with me - something more than my Rube ringtone.
    Posted 11 years ago by La Mariposa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was thinking the same thing last night. I'd love something where I could skip around Groddle Meadow or leap through Aranna when I needed a fix. No clue if it's possible, but what a lovely thing it would be.
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Coco Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It would be a lovely thing, yes.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like it
    Posted 11 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • they could give us a stand-alone version of this xD
    http://www.glitch.com/items/collectibles/game/
    a bit glitchy but nice as memorial
    Posted 11 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't think I could take a ofline mini version it would just depress me how empty it would be.
    Posted 11 years ago by koolaroo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I support this idea! My heart hurts when I think of everything being gone for good.

I think, it could even be sold for a few bucks (we would all buy it, wouldn't we?), if that would help in any way.

By the way, I'm really, really sad.
    So sad for Tiny Speck, for all the glitchens, and for myself.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kuki, very sad. Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've spoken with my friend here at work... he's a Flash programmer. I'm a wanna be - but I'm actually a designer.  We could make this - or at least we could try.

it would be helpful if we could somehow get the assets (images) - I'm sure there's a way to do this to some degree as so many sites and user created apps have used art from the game (through the API perhaps?).

Maybe there are more cleverer people out there that would like to do this... maybe a collaborative effort?

Also:  if this would infringe on copyrights or other legalities we would give credit and ask for none.  if this would cause big problems maybe someone could let me know...

just more thoughts!
  • I love this idea. It would be a fun thing to spend our votes on, voting on what few items we would like to keep in Mini Commemorative Glitch. If I had five votes, I would vote for a GNG musicblock, the Rube-Shaped Potato, a paper tree, a chunk of sparkly, and a pet piggy.

Sniff.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pii Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just want my cubimals. =(
    Posted 11 years ago by Evallia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh man, I might have to change one of my votes to keep a cubimal. :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Pii Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't think I'd play a mini-version either.   Just wouldn't be the same.
    Posted 11 years ago by Treesa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would totally play a mini version! Just having the soundtrack and a bit of bopping around, like just a few of the different areas.
    Posted 11 years ago by Calais Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like this, but I think to do it right would be a bigger project than is feasible for TS right now.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lady Cailia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Lady Cailia - which is why I suggested that maybe we... we the players could build this?  maybe...
  • Though one part of me wants it so badly, it would never ever be the same. :( 
    Posted 11 years ago by Lila Clemenceau Subscriber! | Permalink
  • this would make me so so so happy, and i would pay for it gladly. not ever being able to pet a piggy or tree or squeeze a chicken ever again is making me so sad. a mini version of glitch that i could just walk around in offline would soften the blow a little bit. we would all get to take a piece of ur with us. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by porcelina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would love this. If I could pick five things, I'd want a bubble tree, a butterfly, a fruit tree, an egg plant, and a piggy. Part of what I love about the game is how meditative and relaxing it is, and I think being able to open up a program or an app and massage a butterfly (and have it tell me "thnx bigthing!"), or pet a tree, or nibble a piggy or something would be lovely. Not as lovely as Glitch itself, but still lovely.
    Posted 11 years ago by Curiona Subscriber! | Permalink
  • www.glitch.com/forum/genera...
    Posted 11 years ago by Deus Marionette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A sort of screensaver where animals start to furtively creep onto the screen and trees sprout from random places. When you move the pointer they all scuttle away only to start again.
    Posted 11 years ago by Benzyl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had a very similar thought myself, but I wasn't sure it would be possible, either. It would be wonderful to be able to keep a little bit of Ur as a memory. I was wondering... since flash is in decline and mobile apps are on the rise (as Stoot pointed out in the announcement post), if it wouldn't be a more feasible idea for someone to develop a simpler version of Glitch for iPad/tablets a/o smartphones. There was a developer tool created by David Wilkinson called Glitch Run, a small experimental app based on Glitch (using the Glitch API) here: Glitch Run video. With this in mind, could this be a possibility for the future?

The only real problem I see with this is that the Glitch API will not be available after a time, so anything that is built would need to have all of the basic elements (images, sound, etc.) independent from the current Glitch servers and database. So I am guessing that Tiny Speck would need to sanction this endeavour and release the required art to the potential developers.

I really hope something comes of this, though! There is no limit to creativity :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Zaeirra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Anything is possible!

All of the objects in the game are available in the Encyclopedia - if you take a close look at at an image of an item you will notice that it's actually a Flash file and not a static image (SWF file).  If you download the SWF it's possible to decompile it into a source Flash file (FLA) where you can see the entire timeline which includes all the animation associated with the item (so if it's the Piggy SWF for example, all the Pig animations are included in that file).  

This would basically give you access to all the assets in the game, minus the various landscape elements.  These backdrop elements can either be screenshots (but they're flat), the assets that they provided here (PSD versions): developer.glitch.com/resour... , or it is also possible to grab SWF's out of the game itself - though I'm not sure that we technically SHOULD be doing this or not - not to mention that each backdrop is made up of lots and LOTS of individual bits and bobs which translates into hundreds of SWFs which need to be decompiled... and this is a bit of a nightmare to sort through.  

Hypothetically though,  this would let us recreate any street backdrop (or create new ones) which could be used in any sort of game... whether it be a distance running type thing, an animated screen saver, a point and click adventure (i love this idea!) or a side scrolling shooter!
  • open source it .... if only!!!!!
    Posted 11 years ago by lizzard Subscriber! | Permalink