Topic

Who are you? What do glitches do outslide of Glitch?

I'm just curious about the approximate age group of the people who play this game. Everyone seems a bit older than the usual crowd, but I'm not positive if that's true or not. I guess I'll start.

I'm Sam, I'm 21, currently an undergraduate for Economics and Psychology. I like to socialize and party, but love to get wrapped up in video games. I heard of Glitch because I heard the creator of Katamari Damacy was actually helping out on this Glitch thing and I wanted to play ever since. And I'm glad I got into it during beta!

How 'bout you?

Posted 13 years ago by Leumas Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I'm a 31-year-old PhD student in Medieval History (specifically social/gender history, historiography, and monasticism...well, nuns.) I knit, and I also spin an awful lot, far more than I knit, and I'm also married to a spectacular guy who is a musician and audio producer and all around fantastic man who sings me silly songs when we wake up in the morning <3 We're a strange couple: he's a funk musician, while I'm into Industrial and New Wave; I'm covered in piercings and tattoos, and he's still proud that he got his ear pierced at a shopping mall when he was eighteen. And yet despite these differences, somehow James Brown has found his way onto my iPod, and my husband is now shopping around for his first tattoo. Funny how that works!

I got sucked into this game by my bff Ms. Voluptua Sneezelips, the very same lady who introduced me to the world of knitting. The woman is a terrible influence. Terrible, and brilliant.
    Posted 13 years ago by Drumroll Please Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Jeff Buckley; thank you! : )
    Posted 13 years ago by Joy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a 25 year old female/ Multimedia Designer (Full time in a company not an excuse to not really work)/ Single/ Loves Games, Anime, Star Wars (& trek), computers/ Is a follower of tech news and adores nerdy things.
    Posted 13 years ago by Tiny Dylan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @JeffBuckley, thanks! We'll see what you think at GlitchCon ;) Wow, I just looked at my reply again and it's friggin' long compared to everyone else's...megalomania, oops.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Cefeida, will be looking forward to seeing more of your stuff. It's not too long. Mine is short because I'm really quite boring, haha.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Tiny Dylan: I know plenty of freelance designers who work really hard. Usually it's more work than a standard office job!
    Posted 13 years ago by Sheepy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Holy crap, there is enough library people out there. I thought I was alone.. 
    Yea!
    Anyway, I'm a library tech living in Small Town, Ontario. Love love love adore books. And movies

I'm 2 weeks away from entering my 4th decade
    Posted 13 years ago by Tenebrae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Cefeida, thank you for a peek of your work. How beautiful it is, how intriqueing your are, and Lovely you are!
    Posted 13 years ago by Joy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow! I should have read this thread long ago! I think I love you all!

I'm a rocker chick who loves good music of any genre. I'm a stay at home mom of 13 year old twins and a non-practicing Civil Engineer. I'm in the process of trying to get into graduate school for a degree in History. My true love has always been history - I just didn't realize I could make a non-teaching career out of it before.

I'm an avid photographer. I love portraiture, but have also been getting into landscapes of late. I love to hike, camp, fish, and generally spend time in the outdoors. If I could live my life travelling, I would not hesitate. I love to see new places and experience new people and cultures. I eat books...well, not literally, but they do nourish my soul and I read every chance I get. And...I also knit, crochet, and do all kinds of crafts.

So, no wonder this community feels like home!
    Posted 13 years ago by Audaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Sheepy : Not where I live. Here a freelancer is someone who does a random commission every couple of months and is free the rest of the time. And I hate when people think of me like that. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Tiny Dylan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Tiny Dylan Ha, well, that's the case with me, except the random commissions don't always pay the bills. My last big one was a year ago, and I've had to go into debt because nothing came up in six months. Now I'm catching up with small stuff...but it's hard work! Because instead of working all year for eight hours, you work for a month or three for ten, twelve, fourteen hours. Sure, you earn more money, but it's not always enough to let you take a long holiday afterwards. And the periods in between jobs aren't supposed to be holidays- they're spent frantically looking for a new source of income. Because freelancers don't have job security, so they always need to be on the lookout. Oh, and no employment benefits, either, you know. 

And don't get me started on what happens when your client doesn't pay you. This is notorious in freelancing- it's quite normal to wait over a month for your money, and sometimes longer. The client doesn't care- they have their product! I'm currently waiting for a payment that is more than ONE YEAR overdue. I've got a lawyer calling the client, but they're still giving us the runaround. They know I can't afford to go to court over the sum- which is small to them but large for me.

That's my little rant at those who think freelancing is easy. So not true. What I will say is that it's a matter of what you prefer- some people like job security, some (me) go stir crazy if they're stuck in one job too long. Both ways have their pros and cons...
    Posted 13 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hm..I'm a new graduate in Southern California with a degree in Biology, a minor in Film, and a hobby in something new every week. Last week it was crocheting. This week seems to be interpretive dance to commercials. I love to write, and I hate that I can't do very much with it right now. Still looking for a job. If full time, great. And if part-time, then I will be saving up to take my prereqs to maybe go into nursing. Or into something environmental. Or into becoming a Power Ranger. Lately, I consider raising chickens in Glitch as practicing for some kind of future. What kind of future? I don't know. But I'm hoping to find something soon, because I'm beginning to watch way too much TV.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jia-pop Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a 26 year old gardening proof-reader (so I plant seeds and grow things all day at work, then come home, play Glitch and continue planting seeds and growing things XD If only real seeds grew as fast as Glitch ones do). I've been playing video games since... For a long, long time. Mostly RPGS with the occasional RTS when I feel like blowing things up. I also draw and collect things in my spare time (BJD, MLP, anime/game/movie figures, etc.).
    Posted 13 years ago by Serilyn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a student. My heritage is Vietnamese, but I was born in France and raised in Australia. The MBTI consistently categorises me as an INTP. I play games, read a lot and unicycle. I also collect sticks. I tend to be nicer online than in real life, where I am fairly cynical. My school does not offer photography, which frustrates me to no end. My sense of humour alternates between lame (you know what else is lame? A man with a limp!) and esoteric (inside jokes with myself). My goal in life is to have the largest vocabulary of anyone in the room at any given time.
    Posted 13 years ago by Frederik Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There are definitely a few common interest arising in this thread

@Audaria, best of luck getting into grad school!! History is so darn fun. Do you prefer modern of ancient?

@Frederik, that is an awesome life goal :)
  • Very tempted to quote my theme song
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iv...

Other than the above - I'm a professional visual artist, and a professional improv artist (think Whose Line is it Anyway).  I am happily married and thrilled to be a non-parent.  However, I am an animal lover and companion to the Wizards of Fuzz (two dogs named Merlin and Gandalf)  and a dragon named Mr. Rupert.

I can dance, I cannot spell, I can sing, I cannot keep from tripping over stuff.  I am very loyal and fiercely honest.  My only prejudice is against stupid people.  (not learning disabled people, and not people who are ignorant through no fault of their own)  I just cannot abide people who choose not to think.

My husband is a lung transplant recipient, which influences my life as well. 

I am addicted to audiobooks and have listened to over 700 of them in the last 4 years.  I started listening to them when my husband was waiting for his transplant, in an effort to keep my brain too busy to obsess.  Since then I listen to them almost constantly - while working in my studio, playing Glitch, driving, shopping or cleaning house.  I love books but I'm severely dyslexic and read very slowly - so audiobooks have been a real blessing.  God Bless the LIBRARY that makes them available.

I am very aware of my spiritual connection to the Universe and all of it's beings.  I have studied many religions, though most of the western ones would not accept me as one of their members. 

I love the ocean and hate the desert. 

I've been clean and sober for 22 years.

My name is Sarah and in FaunaSphere I was called ArtOfHands.

Thanks to everyone who answered this.  It's great to know you better and I look forward to referring back to this thread when I meet new peeps.
    Posted 13 years ago by ArtOfHands RoboGirl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hi, I'm Emily (also known as Diamondflamer elsewhere).

I have a partner of nearly 6 years, a 4yr old daughter, 4 cats and 2 housemates. I'm 30 years old and a full time student. I'm doing a degree in Applied Animal Studies at Northampton Uni. I live in Northampton UK, but am originally from just outside Birmingham.

I hang around online when I am not busy doing other things. I keep a journal on okcupid.com. I am into amateur photography, entomology and sciency geeky things in general. I also love cooking, art and design and music.

StumbleUpon forwarded me to this game a few months back and it looked quirky and cool so I signed up for beta. What sealed the deal was finding out that Katamari developers were on board. I love Katamari, but don't get to play these days as I am a Nintendo girl and only own a Wii. I was so gutted when the port of Katamari to the Wii fell through :(. I still don't know what happened there. Fingers crossed that will change when the Wii U is launched!

It's been so great playing with everyone so far and lovely to read more about the people behind the players. Hopefully I can keep playing for a while yet, but may have to stop when I start back at Uni and get bogged down with assignments
    Posted 13 years ago by Lucretia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hi Bonnie here I am 49 have 4 kids 29 girl, 23 boy, 14 girl, 7 boy...and 6grands...I have a tendency to take in strays I have 3 cats and 1 dog....I am VERY biased about animal abuse as my dog is a pit/boxer mix..she was found in a van with the rest of her litter mates which were being trained to fight she is the only survivor who fell into my DD hands and I got her second hand
    I am a cook in real life and work at a seafood rest. but I am having some health issues due to my diabetes not being controlled since I couldn't afford the meds...not stupid about the fact that I am suffering because of my actions just had a family to feed and no help...so I might have to retire on disability....
    I played faunasphere when it was in beta and played for a bit when it went live....just had too many problems when it went live....this is the type of game I like a community spirit for a common goal...I love that you can own a home and plant in your garden and such to chat with a few people (I am usually very quiet unless I get to know you then watch out!!!)I have a wicked sense of humor and even though I am an American I have been told I have a british dry sense of humor...not a big fan of love stories...horror gets me going either books...movies...games...etc...
    I am married to my current hubby for 8 1/2 yrs before that I had been married for 16 yrs ex had a life changing accident (head injury) He left when the youngest was 4 months old no worries it was bad for a while but I have since then realized it was for the best cuz he had some issues to work out and he really couldn't do it then...I am a very lucky lady to be married to a sweet heart who comes in each day after working all night with a big smile and a LARGE cup of coffee every morning
    Posted 13 years ago by SookieYaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hallo, I'm Katherine. I'm a 39 year-old grad student, grinding out a PhD in chemistry. My work is theoretical/computational so I find it very difficult to step away from the keyboard, and especially difficult to stay away from Glitch.

Like so many here, I knit. I play. My politics tend towards compassionate revolutionary. I used to go to Burning Man when it was all about making unique art to share with the world. And now I'm here.
    Posted 13 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Munchma...do you design knitted things? I seem to recall there's a chemistry-person/knitwear designer somewhere around Chicago...you're not her, are you? ...?
    Posted 13 years ago by Voluptua Sneezelips Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm 52, my name's Joanne and I'm English but have lived in Italy for most of my life. 
    I'm a  Humanist, I'm divorced, have three incredibly awesome children ages 32, 25 and 18 and three incredibly awesome dogs: an ancient blind labrador and two czechoslovakian wolfdogs. And a cat. Who arrived by accident and rules everyone. 
    I've been a translator, a teacher and a milion things in between and now have a book/dvdstore in a small country town. Most of my free time is dedicated to the  dogs; one of them works with my daughter in search and rescue and we spend a lot of time at the training camp. 
    I knit and crochet, but not as much as I used to because of a carpal tunnel I keep putting off operating. I love making amigurumi. 
    I'm a gamer, and have played most MMO's and tested loads of them. At the moment I'm only playing Glitch but I often go back to City of Heroes, Lord of the Rings Online and Warhammer Online... my favourites.
    I love progressive and old school rock, jazz and blues but will listen to almost anything. 
    I cook a lot, write poetry and cultivate the vegetable garden as much as I can. 

I just read back; dammit I have a boring life.. I really should make some changes around here!
    Posted 13 years ago by Zira Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Zira, don't give up your "boring" life. I envy your ability to spend time in the garden.Re: Carpal tunnel: I had surgery to repair torn cartilage in my wrist last summer, which came with a much longer recovery time than CT surgery usually does. And it was absolutely 100% worth it to be rid of the chronic pain. Find a good plastic/hand surgeon and doooooo it!
  • Sheepy thanks for the advice. I know I should have it operated but unfortunately I have a disability caused by surgery that went wrong and vowed to never have anything but life saving surgery again. 
    Paranoid - yes, but I'll keep my Carpal Tunnel and just do less knitting (and drop a few frying pans) and consider myself lucky anyway :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Zira Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Voluptua Sneezelips (love your name!) I'm not the Chicago chemist. I guess I'm not the special unique snowflake I thought I was. Good thing too, because I live in California :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry to hear that, Zira -- I understand the reluctance.
  • Hello, everyone!  I'm late to this party, but want to introduce myself anyway. ^_^

I'm a gamer, aspiring writer, computer geek, and an artist.  I spend a lot of time in my own imagination.  I'm also a late nighter, as I'm currently on third shift (CST-Texas), but my computer schedule tends to be pretty random most of the time.  I'm 36, happily married to my soul mate, and have a shelter-adopted senior black cat who is the sweetest thing ever.

I'm very open-minded and generally laid back.  I like to live and let live, and am always pursuing that which makes me (and others) happy.  In MMOs, I like to both group up, and also solo play, as I find doing one or the other all the time starts to get a bit dull.  Although, I do tend to solo more than group, so don't be offended if I'm soloing and just want to run around quietly all night.

See ya in Glitch!
    Posted 13 years ago by Gant Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Any other new glitchers wanna get a biography before the thread dies?
    Posted 13 years ago by Leumas Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh my giants thanks for bumping the thread Leumas! I have lived reading it!

Tene, happy birthday!

Now my turn I guess :) I live with a roommate and my pup that I recently rescued. It breaks my heart that she was a stray then was shuffled between shelters for months but I love watching her come out of her shell. I graduated with a degree in Theatre and another in Comparative Relgions. The theatre because its what I want to do with my life and the religions because I am fascinated by other cultures.

I'm an actor first and foremost but also work scenic construction, direct and sew. I've worked at a zoo, ran a waterpark, was a camp counsellor, was an extra (Contagion) and a body double (playboy club), have been a standardized patient (fake patient for med students to practice both exams and interpersonal communication with as well as being a tool for evaluating them), wrote press releases for a college, updated voter registrations, worked at a bakery run by a chef that appears occassionally on food network challenges, and now run a dog walking company.

I like to joke that I'm a 12 year old boy because I like motorcycles and LOVE dinosaurs. I'm the luckiest unlucky person I know because I get in potentially awful situations but always seem to walk away (I've lived through a riot in Cairo, been bit in the face by a dog --you'd never notice the scars, & been in too many bicycle accidents). I love baking, crafting, thursdays, camping, travelling and reading. I'm very sarcastic and pretty darn honest but always smile.

Apparently I can also be a bit long-winded :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Avery♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I SAW Contagion! I'll just pretend that it means I recognized you! But that's so cool that you're an actor. What else have you been in, Avery? You sound like you've got some crazy stories. <3
  • haha I don't even know if I made it on screen in Contagion (if I am its a crowd scene and I might not even catch myself. Ha!). I've yet to see it. I'm a wealth of crazy stories :) Most of my acting is on stage but I've done a few independent films and things too. Working on getting an agent now and hopefully more (paying) work beyond that.
  • Hey I'm Kari. I'm 27 years old and work in a library. I'm a part time college student and a full time lover of 'cozy' things. Animals, knitting, SF-ish TV shows, autumn, hot drinks, etc. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Karellen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Avery, you are totally gettibg an ingame IM one of these days for stories!
  • Can't delete double post from my phone!!!
  • @Avery, you sound like a well interesting person!

@Karellen, another librarian!! Maybe there should be a group for all the glitcher librarians, haha.
  • Do it Jia! I've got too many! lol.

@Kari you had me at Cozy!

@Jeff Thanks! :D
  • I am a game player. Much else needs to be said? I'm 30 currently unemployed and seeking work. I'm trained in the IT field but my passions lie in Hospitality/Theme Park work. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Githern Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Jeff Buckley, there is
    Posted 13 years ago by Varekai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a graduate student in the humanities with a giant fuzzy black rescue cat (part Maine Coon, I think).  I also crochet (seems like a common hobby around here). I want some people to wander to the far edge of the Glitch world with, so feel free to contact me in-game. Bonus points for literary or arty name!
    Posted 13 years ago by Susan Sontag Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Varekai, NO WAY!! haha, that's pretty cool.

@Susan, I want a giant fuzzy black cat!!
  • I'm a video editor in television news. In my spare time, I've also been a planetarium lecturer, museum docent, and gamemaster for another multiplayer game (text-based, so you have an idea of when this was) . Been gaming since the original D&D in the 1970's.
    Posted 13 years ago by TK-855 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm Tiara, just turned 26 (it'd be cool if Glitch could map out your birthday to the ingame calendar and give you cake. Mmm cake.), originally from Malaysia of Bangladeshi heritage but currently based in Brisbane, Australia. I'm actually writing this from Malaysia since I'm here a little while to finish up RL Bureaucratic Arts. damn papers.

When people ask me what I do I say I'm a performance artist (burlesque/improv/performance art/theatre type things) and an artsworker (community arts, stage management, events) but most of that time is spent trying to find things to do. I tend to be busy in spurts - for example, I spent the past summer in San Francisco in an arts residency working on a one-woman show and checking out the local queer, sex-positive, creative, social justice scenes. I write, blog, rant a great deal and co-produce/co-present a feminist radio show on our local community radio station. Basically if it looks interesting I sign up for it - which has sent me on some fun adventures!

I am a MASSIVE Darren Hayes fan, have been for half my lifetime now, and since his new album is almost out the past few months have been Darren overload musically. I love travelling, been doing so since I was a baby, I'd much rather co-own a private plane that I can use when needed than buy a house. I read like a maniac and go INTERNETS FOREVER. I have a weakness for anything cute and fuzzy, especially cats (LOLcats in particular). Yes I have a huge case of the squee.

I've added some of you that seem interesting but you all have such rich stories :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Creatrix Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm Julian. 20. I used to do a radio show for my university's radio station(FIU) before I got sucked up with my school work. I book artists and musicians on the side and trying really hard to make it something more of a freelance job working with venues and galleries since I like to help creative folks share their nifty works to the world.

I live in Miami. I have a best friend who's vegetarian and who tempers my meat eating habits so that I'm not totally destroying my body. I like to offset it with alcohol and nights on the town and then watch a bunch of netflix and eat peanut butter.

I like to run on sentences and I'm looking for awesome neighbors so if you have a home in groddle meadow and need a neighbor to shoot the breeze and eat peanut butter with, I am yours!
    Posted 13 years ago by Inspector Spacetime Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm Bain. I'm 28. I'm in the UK and I drive a van for a living. I am Cal's slightly younger and more attractive brother.

I played GNE for about a week many many years ago, and then I played Flickr for several years. Then when TS started up I bugged my brother for a job. He wouldn't give me one so I bugged him for an alpha invite to Glitch instead.
    Posted 13 years ago by faitaru Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "I am Cal's slightly younger and more attractive brother."

:D

Classic sibling rivalry.
  • There's an outside?
    Posted 13 years ago by Lazy Cubimal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey Sam.  Great thread!
    My name is Diane (Poppie is my middle name)...could only fit Poppy with a "Y" in my user name. :-)

I'm 39 years old.  I live in Michigan.  I'm married and I have a 21 year-old daughter.  I own a pit-mix dog named Dweezil.  

I <3 Star Wars, Frank Zappa, my computer, movies, cigarettes and food...Mmmmmmm food!

I'm not a "gamer", but I play The Sims, some Wii games, and now...Glitch.  I used to play Farmville...but I got bored after about 9 months.  

Nice to meet all of you.  Glad to be a Glitchen!  :-)

EDIT:  I'm a hermit.  I like, NEVER, leave my house.  My husband is going to kill me if I don't get a job.  But...eh, whatever!  :-p
    Posted 13 years ago by Poppy of Detwoit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow... I love this thread. Everyone is so interesting!

I'm 25 and bi-lingual. Born in the states, spent childhood and teenager-dom in Japan. Spent a year after high-school backpacking around Europe with some buds, eating one meal of ritz crackers and yogurt a day (we were super poor!) before I came back to the states for college. Just graduated with a degree in English & creative writing. 

Love this game for some reason. I'm planning on being somewhere in rural Alaska next school year, teaching high-school english, and I should be working on my teacher certification stuff, but I find myself playing this instead :-)

Thanks for sharing, everyone. Gitchers are the coolest.
    Posted 13 years ago by J.A.Prufrock Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm 40, very happily married to Chester Todd who is also addicted to Glitch (yay). We typically move back and forth between NYC and either LA or SF every 5-6 years, when Che T gets a Job Offer One Does Not Refuse. Currently in NYC and will probably be here a good while.

I'm hopelessly overeducated, love costume, corsetry and crafts (currently learning how to make my own shoes and wigs!), cooking, our geriatric cats, and our rescue turtle Scooby. I kinda sorta hoard books *koff*. I do not know how to drive. I am passionate about social justice but I don't like to wave signs or get chained to fences so I do a fair amount of online activism (moderating communities, etc.). I am crap at gardening but I keep trying anyway.

In the past I've been a body piercer/piercing activist, then a graphic designer and production artist for major record labels and top-tier Hollywood DVD packaging (soooo muuuch Beyoncé in my work life) Currently I'm a freelance dressmaker/costume designer/copy editor/web designer/housewife (the housewife part is not freelance, obvi). 

Gamewise, I'm on and off. Sometimes I get obsessed with a game and play it nonstop for weeks. Then I won't game for years until another game grabs my brain and won't let go. I have a feeling Glitch will have its cuddly little suckers on me for quite a while. I've loved everyone I've met in game! Yay!
    Posted 13 years ago by Epilady Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a 15 year old gay teen male in America. I love theatre arts. Acting is basically my entire life along with singing, dancing, color guard, piano, and performing in front of audiences. I'm a nerd XD I like to read as well :) 
    Posted 13 years ago by Logith Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My name is David.. and.. I'm an alcohol. its been 5 years since my last binge.. 

Oh, not that sorta meet and greet eh? 

Seriously though, My names David, 17 years old and still a full time student. 
    Wish to become an Economist and work for the UN after I graduate. 
    I tend to be bitter and cynical, with an odd sense of humour, so if you meet me in game, that's what you can expect =) I like, Videogames and reading. I also love music. Bands like Kaizer's Orchestra and Sunset Rubdown are my favourite =)

Oh, and i'm Australian. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Toastman Subscriber! | Permalink