Topic

Staff Topic

How to Test the New Houses

OK! Now you can test some parts of the new housing system. We're concentrating here on furniture and decoration (later releases will add the ability to craft new furniture, expand houses, cultivate land and use imagination to grow your yard and home street).

To try it out, get in the game type "/home" in local chat (it is deliberately hard to do right now so that people don't get confused and think this is *the* permanent switchover — this house is just for your testing and customizations will eventually be reset). When you're at home, there will be a new button which takes you back to the regular game world.

Once you go inside, you'll see the new furniture tab by your inventory and a "decorate" button at the top-right of the game. Go crazy. Upgrading furniture is all free right now (in the future, some upgrades will be subscriber-only and some will cost credits).

You can't get any more furniture for now and you also can't give, trade or sell furniture until the next release (or maybe the one after that). However, you can bring your stuff over to the new house and not worry about it getting lost when we reset (we'll keep it all safe) — it is just the furniture customizations that you'll lose.

To move furniture around and place items on furniture, you need to be in "decoration mode", which will hide your avatar and allow you to use the arrow keys to pan around your house.

You'll be switched to decoration mode automatically when you drag something out of your furniture bag, but you can also hit the "decorate" button in the top right of the game window.

To change wallpaper, ceilings and floors, hit the "swatches" button which appears in the top bar when you're in decoration mode. You can stamp the patterns on or drag them into place. For wallpapers you can either to a single segment or the whole wall at once.

Finally, though the land outside your house is fixed for now (you can't expand it or add/remove resources yet) you do have a customizable signpost outside: you can use that to add up to five signs pointing to the home streets of people from your friends list.

Any questions? Thoughts? ;)

See also:  Blog post  •  Video Demo

Note: If you don't see any furniture (or just your trophies) inside your furniture bag when you enter your house, type "/home" again.

Note 2: You can type "/home" from wherever you are in the world, including other people's houses.

Note 3: We will give plenty of notice before the real switchover to the new housing system and, if you own a regular in-world house at that time, all of the items inside it will be moved over automatically. You don't have to move everything yourself.

Note 4: Many questions and answers have been summarized in this (unofficial!) FAQ

Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
  • "My other dolls lock to guests and keyholders, but yeti allows pickup option."If you put it on furniture, it's locked. If you put it on the floor, others can take it.Posted 9 hr ago by Bees! | Permalink
    I placed 3 dolls while in decorate mode. 2 on chairs and one on a couch. Only the one on the couch is locked!
    Posted 12 years ago by Addie Sparkhall Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wonder when we'll get to 16 pages on this thread.  This one maybe? :)

Edit: wow, this post was moved to the 16th page when I wasn't looking.  Cool. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • After reading about the suggestion for a fireplace in the house, a few ideas of my own hit me.

Inside:
    Other stuffed animals to go with the salmon...rook/rook heads maybe?
    Different styles of TVs...flat screen and old black/white with rabit ears
    Dart boards and gaming tables (pool, ping-pong, poker, etc)
    Mini Bar your glitch can go behind and fix drinks on...can function like a cupboard/table

Outside:
    Jacuzzi or sauna that could replenish mood or energy like meditating does
    Different ponds/streams with different bridges
    Fountains

After writing this, I think you have already thought about all of these suggestions but am posting anyway. Can't wait for the rest of it!!! :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Kernal Green Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bug? I received a key from a low level player who had not owned a house prior to the test houses becoming available. I have their key on my keyring. I am unable to enter their test house (says "player is not currently online"). If I try to teleport to their house, I can't (says "destination does not exist"). In my keyring menu, their address is only listed as " ,Ur". All other keys I have from players (all of whom had homes prior to the test house release) work fine. If this isn't a bug, how will this issue affect us when the test houses become our only houses?

Also, with the new player streets and houses, there doesn't seem to be a way to get to the Ur map. Will we only have the option of getting to the World via the last street we were on? Will we not have the option of teleporting from our homes (or streets) to TP destinations or script locations? If this is the case, could we have the option of putting at least one World Street on our signposts?
    Posted 12 years ago by foolbunny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ack! Just noticed the "not likely to have the option of a world street on signposts" note. Sorry :(
    Posted 12 years ago by foolbunny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You can teleport from your home street back out to Ur via the Rock.
    Posted 12 years ago by Moehr Ossum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • New Housing Aesthetics - A small change. Turn on the lights.I love the new housing. It is really beautiful and fun to play with.
    I have a great time decorating my home. 
    I would change something though:

I think that the house should look lit from inside when you are looking at it from the street. 
    As it is now, it looks rather dark and empty. Lit windows make it look very cheery.
    See my linked image for a visual.

i1077.photobucket.com/album...

Jope
    Posted 12 years ago by Jope Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Very nice Jope, I agree :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Princess Fi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Perhaps lights on when you are logged on and lights off when you are not on-line.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jope Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm really enjoying playing around with this and I have a couple comments:
    1) love the attic, its somehow much more exciting to see an attic chock full of bags than just have them tucked away in a closet (although I am sure I will use a closet type thing too if/when they are added) 
    2) somehow the computer just does not sit right on any of the desks at the moment (except the space age one I suppose) 
    Otherwise, I am really looking forward to adding more levels and expanding the garden (and outdoor furniture)! These are pretty awesome changes and I'm excited to see the rest! 

Edit: Also, I love the idea of lit up windows when you are home and not lit when you are not. And light switches in general (with some way of setting which lights are on which switch) would be really awesome. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Rosa Boo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to house windows lighting up.  And +1 to holiday decorative lights for the house windows (I'm sure someone has mentioned it somewhere).
  • I took a no-no powder, and then went into decoration mode. And then I died even though I never left decoration mode.
    Posted 12 years ago by Vera Mars Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If items placed on furniture but not the floor are locked, then does that mean someone can take my trophy that I placed on the floor while in decoration mode, if they come to visit? D:>
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • yes!
    Posted 12 years ago by ugli Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah!!!! New tweet we don't lose energy/mood while decorating.  Will have to try it out.
  • Haha, I didn't even realise losing mood/energy whilst decorating was a "thing".  Glad they fixed it.  =)
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh yes, people have died!!!  Well, Glitchen, anyway. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Spockian Subscriber! | Permalink
  • BUG: I changed my name and when I enter my house it still shows my previous name.
    Posted 12 years ago by Electric Wizard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My question, regarding this:
    "when we reset you will lose trees and anything planted in your new house's gardens"

So we're only going to lose stuff planted in the NEW garden?  The old garden plots and crops will be transferred? ... or are we going to lose all crops in the update?
    Posted 12 years ago by Genkicoll Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd think the crops, if sitting in the plots, will be lost to the winds of the universe.
  • So if we don't lose energy/mood in Deco Mode, that means that if we want to go AFK at home, we should just switch modes! Schweet!
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bug Report

I can now drag bags off of shelves without triggering Decorate mode.  However, when I do this, the shelf drags with the bag.   It does not go into inventory though, it just springs back into place.  The bag itself goes into inventory.  
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Many of my trophies are now unavailable for decorating the test house... no idea why.

Also, when "placing" multiples, it would be helpful to get a dialog box asking "How many?" Currently, I have to "drop" the amount I wish to place first, then drag them where I want them to go.
  • Pascale, go to your "old" house and move your displayed trophies back to the inside of the cabinet.  They should now be available in your new house :)
  • @Genkicoll The irony is that it's my UNDISPLAYED trophies that aren't available. Whereas previously they were available. Something is bugstered.
  • Genkicoll, I assume that when the old housing ceases to exist, the patches, plots, trees, and growing crops therein will also cease to exist.

The reset of the new housing may well happen at a different time than the disappearance of the old housing.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fnibbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Butterfly Stick in my house doesn't seem to work as advertised. (Trying to decorate one area with butterflies!)
  • Pascale, we're actually working on a bug with regard to trophies right now.

And, for the Butterfly Stick, would you mind going to that spot in game, clicking the bug icon and giving us the full description of your observation please?
    Posted 12 years ago by kevbob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't remember seeing below my home's floor before. Is that new? And if so, why? It's not so attractive. (And for some reason the butterflies LIKE IT down there.)
  • @KevBob, I've filed a bug. You're also welcome to stop by and see for yourself!
  • "Perhaps lights on when you are logged on and lights off when you are not on-line."
    I LOVE this idea!
    Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • IDEAS FOR HOUSING:

Kitchens:  I love the idea of being able to create a kitchen area, complete with cupboards for my ingredients and the ability to place my hardware (blenders, grills, frying pan, etc) and use them from where they're placed.  Ooo, we could even craft a stove by combining our upcoming ability and the frying pan & grill.

Basement:  It would be great to have the ability to add a "basement", much like the bog housing, and complete with spawning fireflies and dark spots ;)  Of course, others might have a different idea of how the basements might look, but this would seem like the basement had been hewn right out of the earth, and it's a fun idea to me.

Cubimals: I'd love to have a compartmentalized cubimal display case

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OBSERVATIONS:

I feel that every home street & house should be accessible to every Glitch, but that every item in someone's home should be LOCKED except to the home owner and to those with "keys".
  • I agree with Genkicoll about the home streets - they should be accessible to all, but homeowners should be able to lock down things like feeders/collectors if they want to.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aurora Dellaterra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow, fantastic!!!!  I'm very impressed. I don't know if staff-types are still reading but I was wishing for a "snap to grid" or "align items" sort of option.  My sense of order suffers when my awesome Andy Warhol cubimal poster isn't squarely over my rook's nest bed.  In my real house I use a tape measure to get pictures centered.  :-)

I noticed I could wallpaper sections of wall, but only do the whole floor or ceiling. I would love to do corresponding sections of floor and ceiling.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • BUG: dropping items by dragging from bags sometimes deposits items across the room near the backyard door. does not allow you to input amount of items to drop either.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fur Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Learned new skills and quests did not work correctly in new street/home.
    Seed the Scythe (not sure why it appeared) would pop up but not allow further dialogue with Mr. Rock.

Block Party quest would not "Tell More"

All worked correctly on/in old street/house.
    Posted 12 years ago by Darby Shaw Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hate to be a pest about this, but I have to ask staff again: why can't we see the world map in our houses, and will we be able to do so in the future?  It's not visible from home streets, either.
    Posted 12 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • glum, this post partly answers your question: http://www.glitch.com/forum/general/17340/page11/#reply-178692
    Posted 12 years ago by TomC Subscriber! | Permalink
  • glum, the reasons why we don't have it are complicated. However, you probably will be able to in the future (but not until we finish a large UI overhaul which is just getting started).
    Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok - so I just read through all 16 pages. By the way 'Staff' - thanks - you have done an amazing job answering everyones questions and concerns. Wow! And thanks for the link to the video - I had to watch it a couple of times (OK more than a couple) but there were alot of things in the video that people may or may not have caught. Such as expanding a floor horizontally. More than one floor. There were curtains, so I'm guessing windows. There was a cabinet. And a statue or award maybe. Anyone else see something I missed?
    Posted 12 years ago by Couper Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Couper

You missed a few things

Here's what I noticed

Some sort of patch creation thingy in the garden

a fruit bag in the inventory,
    a new potion (EOH or FOH) also in the inventory
    Wine of the dead (not new but not now seen in game)
    A new cystal in game and in inventory
    A fish mobile ( new fishes!! )
    A tan/brown standard lamp.

Bet there's moar but i have to go work for now . . . boo

also sugarQb has very few currants!! awwww :'(
    Posted 12 years ago by Faereluth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The video was made on a dev server, so technically each staff have multiple states of currant status, maybe sugarQb is a billionaire in the production server! In addition to what Fae described above:
    :: A DP Potion
    :: Some kind of disintegrating object; looks like a wooden pen eaten by termites (probably not though)
    :: Multiple colored crystals (dark, blue, green etc)
    :: Two kinds of food (one looks like either cornucopia or sushi?)

There was also a starry wallpaper in a picture of E-yon's house.
  • Perhaps lights on when you are logged on and lights off when you are not on-line. 

Posted 25 hr ago by Jope

{ I LOVE this idea too..ty Jope I hope they take you up on it } .. :D x

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w467/joecerutti/JopesHouse-LightsOn.jpg
    Posted 12 years ago by Cryztal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I saw something unofficial that claimed that the next release wasn't until next month...is this true?

Thank you so much for all of the question answering staff!
    Posted 12 years ago by Pickle Bob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Pickle Bob, that was actually in the official Video Demo. (Near the end)
  • That was also this reply in a thread from stoot about possible mini releases during the month (no promises)
  • I'm loving the update so far, & I was nervous about it because I adore my current Bortola treehouse & wasn't looking forward to having to move, but now I can't wait for more updates.  I've had so much fun decorating & I'm really looking forward to being able to craft our own stuff & see what possibilities there'll be in house/garden/street choices, etc.  

Thanks so much for all the hard work & answers to stuff!  (& thanks to fellow Glitchens for all the great ideas & bug observations too! <3)

Something I noticed today, which related to this on page 1:
    "There seems to be no particular logic behind which items of furniture come to the front when more than one item is placed in the same place"
    Click on something to bring it to the front. Although there are a few groups which are ordered within themselves - against wall, behind player and on front of player

The Cosma screen used to go against the wall & behind the bed if i clicked on the bed (I was using the screen like a headboard), but today the screen won't go against the wall & will only go in front of the bed.  When I stand on the bed though, I'm also standing in front of the screen which looks weird.  Is there any way I can get it the screen to go behind the bed again?

before (with screen behnd the bed): http://i.imgur.com/WOabH.png
    today: (with screen in front of the bed): http://i.imgur.com/CnDU1.png

Sorry in advance if any of the following have been addressed already, this thread is a lot to take in..

Might there be any options to select what type of wood or colour a piece of furniture is in later on?  I'm currently finding the mixture of colours of wood a bit of a mishmash & it would be nice to be able to change the colour of furniture, even if it's a small selection of different choices - it would make coordinating a room SO much easier.  Having all types of furniture pieces in each style is fine, but I think it will be more interesting to be able to mix & match & if there were options for different colours this would be much more possible.

It'd be great if we could have an attic with just enough headspace for us to fit in & pull down stairs so we can access any items/bags we put up there more easily.

Some of the cooking/drinks making tools are HUGE when placed out of bags, will there be any changes to the scale of them so that they will be placeable & look normal in future updates?  It'd be nice to be able to accessorise a kitchen with cooking/drinks making tools. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Errata Stigmata Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for clearing it up guys :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Pickle Bob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I went back to watch the video, and finally noted all the things mentioned above, but also noticed that cool multi-colored tile like wall covering for a kitchen area.  Nice...tile...now to get some tile floors too... :)
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Pink Flamingo~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It would  be nice if the floor could be sectioned off, like the wall can. I'd like tiles for the kitchen and carpets for the office/living room and bedroom. =)
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19