Topic

Staff Topic

[Testing is CLOSED, thank you!] Cosma wants YOU to help test stuff (and earn rewards)

UPDATE: Thanks for testing! We've gotten all the data we need for now and the test is officially closed!

---

Glitches of Ur:

Cosma is evaluating new features in the game engine and would like your help in testing them. And naturally, you will be rewarded.

Please DO NOT use your computer AT ALL while the tests are running!
Please DO NOT report bugs for weird things you see while testing. (They're just the way Cosma wants them.)

If you're ready to enlist, head here: www.glitch.com/perf/

If you're not yet sold on the idea... It won't take *any* effort to participate (you don't even have to be at your computer), but it will take 5-15 minutes for most people. You will be rewarded for testing up to three times. And if you have multiple computers or web browsers, Cosma would be grateful if you run a test on each.

Now that you're ready to enlist, head to www.glitch.com/perf/

---
If you encounter any problems during the test, try again.
If you still have trouble, you should stop testing, and Cosma thanks you for trying.

Posted 12 years ago by Jono Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Too funny...the xp bumped me up a level...was wondering how I got those extra currants...thanks! :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Pink Flamingo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Awn no, now it's appearing this error: Flash Error: Error: Bad type in socket at com.tinyspeck.engine.business::NetDelegateSocket/getAndParseIncomingMessage()[/Volumes/TinySpeck/clean/clientNew/src/com/tinyspeck/engine/business/NetDelegateSocket.as:303] at com.tinyspeck.engine.business::NetDelegateSocket/checkIncomingData()[/Volumes/TinySpeck/clean/clientNew/src/com/tinyspeck/engine/business/NetDelegateSocket.as:262] at com.tinyspeck.engine.business::NetDelegateSocket/onSocketData()[/Volumes/TinySpeck/clean/clientNew/src/com/tinyspeck/engine/business/NetDelegateSocket.as:234] 
    Posted 12 years ago by Lila Clemenceau Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This was with firefox...with google chrome I just got the ack something went wrong message.

Flash Error: Error: Bad type in socket at com.tinyspeck.engine.business::NetDelegateSocket/getAndParseIncomingMessage()[/Volumes/TinySpeck/clean/clientNew/src/com/tinyspeck/engine/business/NetDelegateSocket.as:303] at com.tinyspeck.engine.business::NetDelegateSocket/checkIncomingData()[/Volumes/TinySpeck/clean/clientNew/src/com/tinyspeck/engine/business/NetDelegateSocket.as:262] at com.tinyspeck.engine.business::NetDelegateSocket/onSocketData()[/Volumes/TinySpeck/clean/clientNew/src/com/tinyspeck/engine/business/NetDelegateSocket.as:234]
    Posted 12 years ago by Cryztal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That was too funny! Thanks!
    Posted 12 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So many crabs and I couldn't play any of my musicboxes... that was torturous ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by Omnika Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oops we were supposed to screenshot errors? I got a failure in Safari that said something about null and problem storing something something. I went to preferences and turned off the thing for blocking pop-ups and tried again and was able to do the test. I know turning off pop-up blocking probably had NOTHING to do with ANYTHING but I like to think I brilliantly solved a technical problem. For once.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sirentist Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That was amazing fun!! All 5 tests completed without complications - earned xp and currants too!! Need to do this again once I am back at home later :DD
    Posted 12 years ago by Maruchan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Successful one time with FF, Flash crash second time, 3 unsuccessful runs with Safari, first one made it almost to the end.  Not so far with the other two. Another failure with Safari.  Error:  API error storing performance results: null  Two additional failures with Safari.  (Uncle, giving up)
    Posted 12 years ago by Tooth Fairy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • All done on Chrome, FF and Safari.

There's another tiny spirit at the right side of GCW, cute!
    Posted 12 years ago by WeavingTheWeb Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mostly I was kind of fixated on the birch candies. 
  • Ran test several times with main and alt on Desktop and Laptop:
    Desktop (Alienware, Windows 7):
    100% successful end with both IE and Firefox every time
    Laptop: (Dell, Windows Vista):
    100% successful end with Firefox every time;
    Several failed attempts with IE, only one succesful end of test. IE Errors: Flash Error - null, and Connection Timed Out.
    Posted 12 years ago by Rowan Croft Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Seems my avatar gets stuck and keeps walking back and forth in the same spot until it says test failed. I've tried a few times will try again.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was able to convince the crabs to let me play for them...I got 4k + the 1k is 5k for testing! X 3 = 15k for free!!!:D
    Posted 12 years ago by gracerigney Subscriber! | Permalink
  • gracerigney -- We asked that you not interact with the game while the test is running. Cosma is sad for it.
  • Not having much luck with this.  I am getting to 1 test left or even the last test once and then I gt the Flash Null mistake.  :(  Have tried 4 or 5 times...
    Posted 12 years ago by Cabinwood Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 2 successful runs with Firefox, 1 flash crash in between
    6 unsuccessful runs with Safari (didn't touch anything, keyboard, mouse, I didn't even breathe and yes just to be sure I rebooted my machine and did try again even tho notes said probably should stop.)
    Posted 12 years ago by AlmostSilver Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i was wondering.. the soul part made me think of heaven. maybe are we getting heaven and a animal farm? ( i want foxes NOW! )
    Posted 12 years ago by GiaTori Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How would you drop stuff there? I saw a bean on the ground...Oh sorry. I didnt do it on the last 2 tests just the first one..Sorry bout that. 
    Posted 12 years ago by gracerigney Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I only use one computer and one browser, so I ran two sessions in succession, and then before I ran the last one I did a bunch of stuff on my browser first, visiting my most memory intensive sites, and then I entered the world and took a tour of the most memory intensive places in UR.  The idea being that maybe I should get Flash to leak into the memory a bunch (as it seems to do) before running that last session.  I did succeed in making it slow down some, it seems.  The screen saver popped up before the last test was done.

But, I didn't use my computer in any way during the tests.
    Posted 12 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The best part was having 56 fake friends follow me around. I love my fake friends. SO MUCH.
  • The crabs did not ask for me to play my music for them the third time around. Also, I found that some other glitchen left some graves: Metra in Soulless and image415 in Animal Farm. Are these supposed to be there? And may I ask if "the more the merrier" when it comes to these tests, or are the latter 2 (with rewards) for our benefit and amusement? Thank you for the testing. It was fun!
    Posted 12 years ago by usterka Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Because they don't hug you, Sirentist?
    Posted 12 years ago by Shepherdmoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Tried 7 times..getting the flash null error...I will keep trying for a little while...
    Posted 12 years ago by GarthBnut Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I tried for over an hour ..3 different browsers, half way through I ran my crap cleaner...Still no luck... I get to the final test..with all browsers, then I get the  Flash Error - null, and Connection Timed Out. I didn't touch anything...  infact like Almost silver..I didn't breath either, its a wonder i'm still alive to tell this tail..LOL :D...
    I don't know if im more sad at not getting to see the end of the test or failing to receive the prize for not completing the test... :( lol
    Posted 12 years ago by Cryztal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Done with the test. TY! That was interesting. The real test was NOT to interact with things. Best to just unplug your mouse.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • GarthBnut MD -- Thanks for trying, but you should probably give up. This test is only temporary and we won't be able to look into every issue. We're just trying to get results from those whom it works for.

To everyone else: Please don't try to interact with the game while it's running. I can't stop you from trying... but I can ask that you respect what we're asking you to do especially since you're well-rewarded for it (and it will make the game better if you do!).
  • *skinnies eyes at Shepherdmoon*

The worst part was someone IMing me to laugh at something I'd said before I started the test (or maybe he was just laughing at me in general; it happens) and I COULDN'T RESPOND. I had a brilliant spontaneous response, too, that will now be forever lost in the bowels of Soulless. 

Edited to add: I saw the bean, too. But the birch candy was gone this time around. 
  • I did get an "unexpected disconnect" popup box, but my glitch was walking around for a minute after that, and it even started another test. Now he's just frozen there in the hellish street next to a piggy that's walking in place, and it hasn't changed in a few minutes.. Can I safely assume it's failed now, or is it still running in the background?

Edit: I'm going to go ahead and abort the test, since it's been more than ten minutes.
    Posted 12 years ago by dm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I use Opera and I keep getting this error: Hmm, something went wrong during testing: API error storing performance results: null
    Posted 12 years ago by Hana Firefly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • And this is where I apologize for playing music to some of the crabs for my first run. Thank you, Jono and others! 
    Posted 12 years ago by usterka Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Was neat to see so much stuff crammed into one street.  I finished three of my tests (thanks for the reward.  It helps on my grand quest to level 60)  The only feedback I have is on the final page that it brings you back to, there's a misspelling:

"You've now recieved all the prizes allowed for testing. You can run the tests again, but you wont get any further reward (besides a sense of accomplishment)."

If only we could change streets with all of those fake friends and get the glitch train badge  :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Super Jeebs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks Super Jeebs, I'll fix that.
  • Ran Chrome, IE and FF just fine on my laptop.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pirate Apples Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok, ran the test, it worked fine....but Cosma promised me onion rings.

And im hungry...
    Posted 12 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Do I win the Glitch Train Badge? XD
    Posted 12 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • had the imaginary friends in animal farm amd soulless, was whizzing along like a train in soulful using chrome, dunno whether to give firefox and my ubuntu setup a go later
    Posted 12 years ago by Myrtle Goodbody Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @elf: Cosma promised me root beer...
    Posted 12 years ago by Piratice Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My favorite part were a pair of minty crabs. screencast.com/t/P97zWPWX

There were also some blue pigs, but they didn't remind me of milk chocolate chip ice cream.
    Posted 12 years ago by Yeti Spaghetti Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow weirdness in the Construct: bit.ly/IO4KfN
    Posted 12 years ago by The Cat Face Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Minty crabs and blue sparkly and a new street spirit? That's the good stuff, right there.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Ack! Something went wrong..."

(browser: Sea Monkey, patched to current)

ETA same result with Firefox and with Chrome, both also current.

I guess I won't be getting any rewards :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Watson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • did anyone else see the torch at the top of the stairs of animal farm?  and the little fully formed spice trees.  I just wanted to grab one and take it home with me.

ETA:  but I was good and did not touch anything.

I am even wearing my Cosma clothes!
    Posted 12 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks! FAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAF........
    =)
    Posted 12 years ago by plou Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That was fun and interesting! Now I'm running it on my older, slower lappy (I need to know how sad Glitch will be when I'm in England- not that I'd be playing while I'm there) to see how it goes. 

I did it on Firefox and Chrome on this gaming laptop; I'll just be doing it on Firefox on my other one. Okay, glancing over at the other laptop... it looks very painful and laggy. *sigh* Curse you, 56 fake friends, for showing me how bad it really is. I guessed, but now I know.

Edit: Also, how did Cosma know that I was down to only 45c?
    Posted 12 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So much testing... Cosma = GLaDOS?
    Posted 12 years ago by Miri Tazapin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Kookaburra, that torch you saw looked like the guts of a fire bog street spirit to me. I wonder if I'm just morbidly bog-and-fire-obsessed.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bah, I was just about to say that Miri!

I had previously hypothesized that GOD = GlaDOS, which raises interesting questions.
    Posted 12 years ago by Hagbard Celine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ran IE three times and had no probems finishing each time. Success!
    Posted 12 years ago by Mollie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I did all my testing on Chrome. Didn't touch anything. No error messages at all. Hope whatever you got from me helps!
    Posted 12 years ago by Bexatious Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Chrome 18.0.1025.162/Win XP  - tested twice, seemingly no errors
    Firefox 9.0.1 /Win XP - tested once, seemingly no errors

Looks REALLY cool - both the Soulful and The Construct! I'll test anytime just to see some of the design ideas - also really fun to watch my glitch dancing Travolta style with 56 groupies ON top of sparkly! My my! 
    Posted 12 years ago by Hen vla Ham Subscriber! | Permalink