Topic

Help for those of us stuck with Mac OS 10.5.8

So am I simply screwed now with no way to play since you all decided to switch to the newest version of flash?

I have a mac book pro, from 2009, I can't upgrade past OS X (10.5.8) Therefor I can't get the newest version of flash. I definitely can't afford a new computer at this point either...

So... yeah.. I guess you all think everyone can buy a new rig every five seconds but for those of us in the real world... we're just screwed... Thanks Glitch

Posted 13 years ago by Hideto Hayashi Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• (( hugs )) Hideto.  :`(
    I have nothing but consolation for you, I hope you can find a solution.
    Posted 13 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have a used Windows XP laptop with a 1 G of RAM if you need it. Similar can be found in a pawn shop, used computer store, or similar. Not only can such a simpler, cheaper machine be able to run Flash 11, but it can easily be switched to Linux and run it even better :) OS X is just a fancy shell on top of BSD Linux anyways. If you find a machine with a certain feature you can even run OS X on it. I even have a legal, distributable ISO of OS X that would do the trick there too. :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Fokian Fool Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can you Bootcamp into WinXP with your OS X? (Not that familiar with Mac, sadly.) If you can, try doing that.
    Posted 13 years ago by Elly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Good News! If you have a MBP from 2009, then you have a core 2 duo. You meet the requirements for Lion, or at least Snow Leopard.

I have a 2008 Macbook (not pro) that's running Lion fine.
    :)

I also have an iMac that I haven't gotten around to upgrading past 10.5.8 and glitch will run on chrome, but not firefox or safari. So give Chrome a try...
    Posted 13 years ago by Kungaloosh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My Macbook Pro from May 2006 (first gen MBP) runs snow leopard and Glitch great. 
    Posted 13 years ago by QueenKellee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If it's an Intel mac you can always install XP on it.

To clarify a technical matter (geek corner, others can skip):  There is no Linux in OS X.  There is also no Linux in BSD.  But there is a BSD userland (the utilities, daemons, etc.) that was ported to OSX.  OSX is an evolved version of NeXT Step, which Apple bought after they came to the realization that they couldn't write a multitasking OS on their own.  It runs a Mach kernel which has nothing at all to do with BSD or Linux.
    Posted 13 years ago by Parrow Gnolle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ahhh all this geek talk is making me all googly eyed.  ^_^*
    Posted 13 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have a mid-2009 MBP 15" runnin OSX 10.7.2.  I didn't do anything special, just upgraded to Lion when it launched.  I'm not sure why you think you can't run Lion.  Is there an Apple KB article about it?  I'm pretty sure you can install it on any 2007+ MBP.

Also, as mentioned, you can get a cheap copy of Windows and run Bootcamp if you must.  I run it, but not for Glitch.
    Posted 13 years ago by Xepherys Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm on an MBP running 10.6.8, haven't gone to Lion because I'm a Final Cut Pro user.

Glitch runs just fine on Chrome.
    Posted 13 years ago by TK-855 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • At a guess, the OP perhaps means he hasn't bought Snow Leopard or Lion, not that his computer isn't capable of running it.

As numerous people have pointed out, MBP laptops from 2009 were all Intel-based chipsets.  The Power PC chips were retired looooong before that.

I would also advise the OP to bite the bullet and just upgrade to at least Snow Leopard (10.6).  It will run fine on his laptop (I have a MBP of that vintage myself), and it's a lot cheaper than buying a new computer (or a Windows license *shudder*).
    Posted 13 years ago by Reika Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've got a 'regular' Macbook from 2008 (Penryn class) so your 2009 MBP is likely quite a bit more capable than mine.  Glitch runs just fine here (on Chrome, if it helps).

If you're on 10.5, you might consider the $29 Snow Leopard update - there's a lot of cool features in Snow Leopard and the price is right.  Otherwise, have you tried Chrome?  Seems like the consensus is that it works.

My wife's got a Mac Mini running 10.5, and I know she has Chrome, I'll give it a shot if you'd like.
    Posted 13 years ago by agent86 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm in same the boat with my iMac desktop that runs OSX v 10.5.8. So I ordered Snow Leopard for $29.99 and expect to install it over the weekend.
    Posted 13 years ago by GreyGoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Any Macbook Pro from 2007 or later can run Lion (10.7.x). You can buy a USB stick with Lion at the Apple online store to install it directly (this way you don't have to buy Snow Leopard, get the App store, and then buy Lion from the App store). http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD256Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA

I think you could even go into to an Apple retail store and tell them you want Lion and they will help you get it going.
    Posted 13 years ago by HeyHeyHolly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm still running Leopard, and I'm having tons of problems as well.
    I went into the Apple store recently to see about upgrading and the jump to Snow Leopard and then Lion totals something like $60. Not feasible for me at the moment, sadly, but it's definitely on my wishlist... until then I guess I'll just have to work around the bugs.
    Posted 13 years ago by Spaghetti Thompson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I also have 10.5.8.  Chrome is working with Glitch. I think it has it's own internal Flashv11.  Also, Safari is working.  Firefox is the only one having trouble, and that was FF8.0 (v7.0 was ok, so if you haven't updated, don't).
    Posted 13 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a 10.5.8. too, and Chrome works fine for me.
    Posted 13 years ago by ElleD Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Interesting thing, since using Chrome, I've noticed the 3D aspect of the graphics.  I didn't notice it will FF, so maybe it's something added with Flashv11.  Nice for Chrome to have their own little flash v11 plugin.  I wonder way Adobe will not allow 10.5.8 users to download v11 if it works ok through Chrome.  Must be something about it I don't understand. :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Macs, they just work.
    Posted 13 years ago by Johnny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ...I'm running Flash 10.3x, on a Mac with 10.5.8 and I'm fine? Still running firefox 7 so who knows. I haven't had an issue since I updated to the latest version of flash I was capable of.
    Posted 13 years ago by Saiai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yep, when you refuse to upgrade to the new version of an OS, programs you've relied on can stop working. Plugins too.  That's not really something the Glitch devs can do anything about, and isn't related to Mac vs PC.

Simple solution: grab a copy of Lion (you can upgrade past 10.5.8) & switch to Chrome.  There are even a number of (warningwarningwarning) free ways to obtain it.  I'm running both on my '09 MBP and it's sleeker and faster than ever, and I can play Glitch just fine!  

Drop an IM if you need a hand as I just went through this as well :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Sprockett Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Go out and get a cheap pc. (When my niece's mac went on fire - she bought a fridge, a cooker and a laptop all for the insurance cost of a replacement mac)
    Posted 13 years ago by Momo McGlitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What is preventing you from upgrading the OS?  My MBP from 2009 is running Snow Leopard and Glitch with no problem.
    Posted 13 years ago by mirth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree with Mirth. I have a MBP that is pre-2009 and running Lion. You have to upgrade to snow leopard first, and then you have the opportunity to upgrade to Lion.
    Posted 13 years ago by Yog-Sothoth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So you're telling us to spend $150 on a new OS? That's no solution. I can't and won't upgrade an older mac at home - spending $X thousand for a new computer because the programmers are inflexible? Seriously? - it's just a game. I've shown I'm willing to spend $10 a month to play, Glitch, you're going to lose me and a lot of people like me.
    People, stop telling other people to just upgrade, it's insulting and you don't know what's going on in anyone else's techno-life. Also Mirth, no one needs to justify their decision or reasons for not updating/upgrading/doing what you think is so simple.  That's none of your business, and you're just insulting people with the geez-it's-so-simple attitude. Obvs it's not just so simple.

I've found using Safari is alright; I still get the screen blocking delay of the UPDATE!NOTICE, which is a total PITA to acknowledge each and every time I log in, but I don't have the keyboard control problem in Firefox.  This is what you guys are noticing to? In Firefox if I can get the right/left arrow to instigate movement it won't stop without a mouse click somewhere.  ANNOYING and it has to be repairable by programming.

It is 100% bizarre and unrealistic to expect every one of your users to be using the absolutely latest and greatest everything.  And because this is a for-profit venture, it's asinine and suicidal, too.
    Posted 13 years ago by Wye Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i have an even earlier mac and i have to use another browser. (tenfourfox) PLUS the newest version of this browser doesn't load glitch, so i had to resort to the previous one. good luck!
    Posted 13 years ago by Edina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd move to 10.6 - it's faster than 10.5 on the same hardware. Don't worry about Lion for now, there's nothing in it worth the speed hit you'll get due to the increased RAM needed.
    Posted 13 years ago by Spong Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Snow Leopard (10.6) is only $29 to upgrade, you can buy a disk from any Best Buy or Apple Store; it's a seamless, easy upgrade and comes with a ton of features.  If you have an Intel Mac (anything post-2007) there's no reason *not* to upgrade.  Just like someone else said, you can't expect developers to program for end-of-life OSes, and Glitch relies not only on its own code, but also Flash -- and if Adobe isn't supporting 10.5.8 with Flash 11, then that will affect your ability to play unless you upgrade.
    Posted 13 years ago by Zimmi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have the same problem. Have same computer.  Take the debug off! seriously take it off!
    your computer works with the flash but not the Debugger that Glitch wants you to use.
    I am playing fine, except that Glitch keeps backing FlashPlayer and asking me to use the newer version every time I sign on.
    PS: chrome isn't going to help, that is my opinion, just more problems.
    Posted 13 years ago by Joy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had the same problem of not being able to use Flash 11 on my iMac with OS X v 10.5.8, at least with Safari and Firefox. Chrome works fine for me. But I have gone ahead and ordered Snow Leopard anyway. 
  • I found a combination that works on my G4 + 10.5.8, Firefox 3.5 and if it nips you about flash click on the link to Adobe then straight back - working for me at the moment on Flash 10.1 and on a setup a good eight years and a few generations old.
    Posted 13 years ago by Benzyl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If you follow the link I gave to the USB stick with Lion on it, it is $70 dollars. You don't need to buy Snow Leopard first, you can just buy that stick, pop it in a USB port and you got Lion. Or buy Snow Leopard ($29 - maybe even cheaper if you find a used copy?) and then grab Lion off the Mac App store ($29) and you are good to go for around $60.

Now sure, $60 isn't peanuts. But you can't expect stuff to always run great, or at all, if you're 2 OS version numbers behind. It's not like anyone is telling the OP or anyone else still running Leopard to buy a whole new machine.
    Posted 13 years ago by HeyHeyHolly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The issue I experience with this is that I have one of the first intel core duo macs. This means that the max memory it can handle is 2 gigs. This means that the mac cannot handle running 10.6 even though it has 64-bit capable processors. This means that my mac is stuck at 10.5.8 until it breaks and I am forced to buy a new iMac (a few thousand dollars I do not want to spend until I have to since the iMac still does everything that I need it to). This is not a huge deal for me since I have 2 Windows machines and 1 Linux machine that run Glitch perfectly, but if anyone else has this issue and therefore is unable to use Flash 11, please post here so the devs have a better idea of usage statistics and can make a decision as to wether or not it is worth dedicating resources to allow people to play the game with Flash 10 with the caveat that it may not work right.
    Posted 13 years ago by Landar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Landar, first off your Mac will run *better* under 10.6 than 10.5, with the same hardware you have right now. I've done that with MacBooks and iMacs of that generation.
    Second, almost all the C2D Macs can actually handle 3-and-a-bit gig (it's the usual Intel motherboard limitations) or even four, look up your system at www.everymac.com/systems/by... and click through to the details page.
    Posted 13 years ago by Spong Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Apple lists my model as having a max capacity of 2 Gigs memory capacity.
  • Landar, you can download Flash 11 for Chrome. Try that, if you aren't already. I have 10.5.8 too, and I'm hoping to get a new laptop soon, so I don't want to spend money upgrading my current one. The only issue I've had this way is that Snapshotting doesn't seem to work, whereas it does if I go back to 10.3, but that's not such a big deal, at least for me. If necessary, you can always use Grab to take screenshots. :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Xacau Feera Blin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • fwiw, I bought Snow Leopard ($29.99) and installed it last night. I was then able to install Flash 11 and voila! I can now play glitch using Safari or Firefox!
  • Wow. OP and Wye,  if you don't want to upgrade, don't, but why the anger? 

If Glitch is 'just a game' then all that anger and talk of 'being screwed' is you exaggerating.

There are programmes that run on newer systems that don't run on older systems, it's always been like that. Otherwise I'd still be using Win98. 

BTW, Glitch runs fine on my 2006 (sic) macbook. I have OSX 10.6.8, and you know what? That's not even the latest one.  If you're still on Tiger, or even Leopard, you're willingly using an outdated system that no current program developer has any obligation to support. 

ESPECIALLY if remaining compatible with the older system means the developers can't work with the latest standards. Are you seriously demanding that TS limit their possibility to develop the game further just so you, with your outdated system, are still able to play?

In short: your own choice. And don't bother saying 'it's too expensive to upgrade' because that still doesn't make it Tiny Speck's fault.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • you really ought to upgrade to at least snow leopard.

not for glitch, moreso because for 30 bucks you're going to significantly increase your computer's overall performance.

plus technically it is free if you borrow a copy since hint-hint no registration is required.

some people have very good reasons not to upgrade to Lion, since there are software dependency issues with that particular transition .. but moving to Snow Leopard is something your really ought to do anyway.
    Posted 13 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you, dev team, for adding a "Continue at my own risk" button.  It was very kind of you. :)
  • Yep, I just upgraded my 2009 macbook from 10.5 straight to Lion.  It was no big deal and only $30. The apple store person very kindly did it for me.

HOWEVER, BACK UP YOUR COMPUTER FIRST.

Sorry for the capslock, but some friends of mine upgraded without a back up and some of their stuff is now gone or not properly accessible.  I had some word documents go all wonky, but that's not a big deal since I backed them up to an external hard drive. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Feylin Subscriber! | Permalink