Topic

0 Dongs

From the new blog post-
c1.glitch.bz/wp-uploads/mai...

Of course it's not in the game, but I thought it was funny. One of the devs having a laugh.

Posted 12 years ago by Avnas Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I see a potential upgrade card opportunity:
    "Say Hello to My Little Friend" - Unlocks a "special" new Hi sign

@Reirei
    In a topic that had similar discussion to this one, glum pointed out that it isn't the responsibility of TS to provide a "safe" place for people with triggers.
    (www.glitch.com/forum/ideas/...)

Rather, it is the responsibility of TS to cater to their target audience. Which is mostly adults that are okay with adult content. It's up to you to decide whether that includes you or not. Assuming there's only one thing in the game that offends you, you'd probably just do best to ignore it and enjoy the place anyway - one thing out of a many thousands of things that exist in the game isn't bad at all! The game's content still favors you by a wide margin.

Basically, if the "this piece of content may be offensive to some person" argument were to fly, Glitch would have no humor to it at all. I'm sorry if you or someone you know has had a bad life experience, but the answer isn't to create a censorship regime.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jus​tin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Haha, maybe it's because I'm from Europe, but I think 14-year olds have seen things WAY more dirty than that on the Internet. Oh dear Lord....

Anyway... I think it's funny.
    Posted 12 years ago by Waffle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Overt, obvious stuff like this, while funny to some, is indeed tacky and crude humor - pretty low brow, IMO.  Sure some like this type of humor...and that is fine to share among the players  because folks can choose to ignore it if they find it offensive by not being friends with those players.  They can't ignore something this overt should it be implemented in the game.  To imply crudeness is "adult" is pretty immature, IMO.  And why would you want to alienate a potential player base because you opted to cater to a vocal minority?

However, IMO, the game itself should remain more subtle and brilliant with a wink, wink, nudge, nudge type of innuendo humor.  If people want to read more into what is presented, that is one thing.  If they choose not to, and can still enjoy the experience, that is another.  

It's like the difference between your typical Adult Swim cartoons (which are just tacky and juvenile, IMO), and the brilliant multi-layered humor of the historical Bugs Bunny cartoons.  I find Bugs Bunny much more risque and funny now that I'm an adult, yet the humor is much more subtle.  I'd rather Glitch stay classy than take the tacky route.
    Posted 12 years ago by Holly Wolly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeh, I am pretty sure I dont know a single 14 yr old that would be offended by that. (Most 12 yr old boys would be laughing their butts off, btw)  Infact, I am not sure why anyone would be offended by a body part. We are all humans.......get over it already.  I hope if they put dongs, we get boobs, too.
    Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • But just one boob.
    Posted 12 years ago by Muncey Mango Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If people have a problem with dongs, they shouldn't be on the internet.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pickle Juice Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *reads pickle juice's comment*

/thread over
    Posted 12 years ago by jerk nugget Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well said, Justin. =)
    Posted 12 years ago by MyooKat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I want a Dong hi.
    This is awesome.
    Posted 12 years ago by Godiva Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dear TS...May I have a Ding to go with my Dong Please and thank you :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Misha Subscriber! | Permalink
  • And now I want a dong hi.
    Posted 12 years ago by nekomaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I want a "snatch" hi por favor!
    Posted 12 years ago by La Mariposa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Twigs and fishes.
    Posted 12 years ago by Cinnamon Petrichor Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There wasn't any possibility of this being in the game at all, it was clearly just a Dev joke, so why get worked up over whether or not it would be in the game? Have that argument AFTER you see a flying dong hi coming from your busy-body butler :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Kurtie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Been up since 4am and I'm at a work conference panel right now BUT I can't believe no one has posted this: Dong, where is grandpa's automobile?
    Posted 12 years ago by Dr. Tatanka Pie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Otto..mo...biiiiiil?
    Posted 12 years ago by Muncey Mango Subscriber! | Permalink
  •   To imply crudeness is "adult" is pretty immature, IMO. 

This game has a LOT of "immature crudeness,"  FYI.
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to dongs

...also, Pickle Juice just won the interwebz...

AND, MyooKat is a very wise person indeed...
    Posted 12 years ago by Chazerei Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to dongs and
    +1 more to matching dong bonuses
    Posted 12 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think the dong as an easter egg in a blog post is funny.  But I'd be unhappy if it were introduced in the game, because it would be a step on the way to the problems of sexualized environments described here: geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki... .  I would be unhappy about giving or receiving a dong hicon.

Similarly, I don't like the "hoe/ho" puns that are already in Glitch.  I think they have some of the sexualized environment problems, but that they also actually violate "Absolutely no personal attacks or hateful speech directed at others’ gender, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, ethnic background or anything else you should have the good sense not to hate on." from Glitch's own community guidelines.  The reason is that "whore" is a derogatory word for a group of people that we already have a more neutral term for ("sex worker").  It's not at all a value-neutral term, and is frequently used against all women (sex workers or not) as a way to invalidate their opinions and personhood.

(I see a large difference between this and the wood trees, because the trees are punning on the general theory of sexual arousal- not making jokes based on a word that's used to denigrate a group of people.)
    Posted 12 years ago by freerangefatty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I understand where you're coming from (except that article; to me it basically reads "sex is bad, mmkay?"; and I respect people who have that opinion... as long as they don't try to push it on me or anyone else), but I still don't think that demands that a change be made. It's funny; the vast majority of people think so (I for one decorated one of the streets in Uralia with High-Class Hoes in celebration of Valentine's Day). As long as the number of people who think it's funny outnumber the people who think it's offensive, it is in the best interests of Tiny Speck to preserve the unique, edgy style of humor that makes Glitch so awesome (and not just for that reason - it makes me happy when I see them fulfill their vision for the game; and I don't want to see them water it down for anyone).
  • "Team Dong" has a nice ring to it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Goddess Freya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The blog post dong was hilarious! Obviously this won't go into the game. It's not their style.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Not their style? Maybe you don't know Kukubee well enough! =P
    There's nothing he'd love more than to slam a huge dong right into the game.

www.glitch.com/snaps/PIF115...
  • This made me giggle(:

But then the huge argument made me sad. A penis is a part of the human body, and shows no offense towards anyone whatsoever when it is simply displayed as what it is. This picture had a cartoon 'dong' (slang for penis) and in no way was being offensive towards anyone. You can find more crude pictures of penises on the Discovery Channel, mind you. So yes, it would be a bit much to actually include this in the game, but I see nothing wrong or offensive with it in the simple screenshot posted.

But still...it is really funny...he he.
    Posted 12 years ago by Shrimpables Subscriber! | Permalink
  • They aren't saying anything bad about hoes, btw, just that this is a particularly high-class hoe. It doesn't say it's bad, or good, or calls you a ho. In fact, I thought they included that joke and were very clear that it is just a tool. If you're offended by the name of a farming implement?... I mean, it never says anything about sex work. That's all in your head.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lady Cailia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What Shrimpables said.
    Posted 12 years ago by Impspindle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Man, I'd imagine there'd be a lot of penis envy if this were to be implemented. "Aww, you got dongs? I only have stupid pigs today"
    Posted 12 years ago by Liathea Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Besides, its nothing new. Look at Pompeii and Herculaneum, Dongs everywhere.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kiruu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • eeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhh...................NO
    Posted 12 years ago by Yuki Aiko Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How'd that work out for them, Kiruu?
    Posted 12 years ago by E D D I E Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm not sure the people who are +1ing this idea  are thinking about what that "joke" could be used for (unless I'm not in on the joke and should be also +1ing that). It might be funny for some people among themselves, but it could get nasty when used the wrong way (a certain kind of harassment..... AHEM). Not everyone's going to be amused you know. God bless that this community is not filled with those people, but it could happen, and really upset/make them uncomfortable someone. I personally wouldn't be upset if I got one from someone else, but I think we should be considerate of others. 
    (And just to be clear, I have no problems  with the gardening hoe and tree jokes.).
  • Its clear that it wouldn't be included....actually including it WOULD be stepping over the line. As for innuendo and ANYTHING in game named odd.....PLEASE keep those types of things! Its what makes this place unique... and fun....and well....Glitch!
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @LyricalDejaVu Exactly. It was just a gag. And those jokes are harmless. THIS one could get people upset.
  • ANYTHING can get people upset
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Recently a bunch of Roman winged penises were found in the UK.  

www.livescience.com/24298-r...

True story.
    Posted 12 years ago by Captain Daisy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Captain Daisy That's kind of a weird coincidence... And hilarious.
    Posted 12 years ago by Shrimpables Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Shrimables - I know :) Maybe this is evidence that Kukubee has Roman ancestry?
    Posted 12 years ago by Captain Daisy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think it's pretty obvious that TS is not going to put "dong signs" in the game. (Am I the only one thinking of MST3k and "We've got DONG SIGN!" instead of "movie sign"?) It was a one off joke, it was amusing, and it's not even there anymore from what I can see.

If it was included in the game I would think that was pushing it too far. But it's NOT. We're arguing about a thing that isn't even a potential thing!
    Posted 12 years ago by Aliera Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Outrunning a Dong Hi would be kinda funny.
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Annie~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Captain Daisy The Romans never shared the Christian's aversion to sex, and used the male penis liberally as a symbol of fertility. I'm not sure why most people don't seem to know this - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priapus [NSFW]
    Posted 12 years ago by Boom and Bust Subscriber! | Permalink
  • #occupydongs
    Posted 12 years ago by awesome sauce01 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • DING DONG Merrily on high, in Heaven the Giants were singing.
    DING DONG merrily on low in Hell the Trisor bellowed.
    FAAAA lalalalala LAAA falalalalala fa lalalalalaaa laaa laa laaaa in Ur the glitch are happy.
    Posted 12 years ago by jiva Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 2x Megadong = swordfighting
    Posted 12 years ago by Osiris χ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • here is a dong:
    www.glitch.com/snaps/PHV1M2...
    Posted 12 years ago by lolol Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 3x dong = awkward :-S
    Posted 12 years ago by awesome sauce01 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hilarious.  Comments above mine. MORE hilarious. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If Kukubee is allowed to make dong Hi's I will be getting the Motorboat badge really soon... gotta run away from the dongs.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Roman's also viewed it as a good luck symbol and had it often engraved or drawn on their buildings.....but i dont really think the history of symbols is exactly common knowledge however.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • More dongs in-your-endo!
    Posted 12 years ago by Benzyl Subscriber! | Permalink