Topic

Minecraft Server

Hey all,

Saw the closing announcement a few days back and as soon as I got an invite into the game I knew I'd played it before, maybe a year or two ago and I've managed to get in touch with a few of my old friends who're wanting an MC server and say a lot of you guys here do too.

So here's the deal, I'm tied to a server contract for another 15 months even though the business I was using it for failed almost 6 months ago - since it isn't being used for anything right now I'm willing to host an MC server if anyone is interested?

Edit: Seems we have a lot of interest! I will have the server up on November 26th, it should handle quite a lot of people simultaneously since it's a dual core dedicated server. I will post details of how to connect on that day, so watch this space!

Posted 11 years ago by Monotoko Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I play minecraft with my hub and son, so would definitely be interested.  I'm icatchm0nkeys on there too. 
    Posted 11 years ago by icatchm0nkeys Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i'd like to play too :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Oranges Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would love to participate. I bet this community will be able to build great things!
    I don't play minecraft much but I definitely will for this. My minecraft username is Azlen
    Posted 11 years ago by drakodood Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am pretty clueless about most of what you guys are talking about and have never heard of Minecraft, but if there is a way to recreate some of the (peaceful) Ur world and community somewhere some how and you guys who know what you are talking about don't mind a noob/clueless person joining in, I would be so happy to be a part of this. Just please explain to me (in words of one syllable or less) what I need to do. Thanks bunches.
    Posted 11 years ago by Axa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is there any way of making home streets in minecraft? I would love to recreate my home street. And build my tower as high as it can go. I really think this is a good idea.
    Posted 11 years ago by drakodood Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We can re-create Jal too:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADh...

I'm so excited. I've only been playing minecraft for a day, but it's a wonderful game :) Nothing will come close to replace glitch, but a glitchy minecraft can come close
    Posted 11 years ago by purple goldfish Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am clueless about how to play minecraft, but willing to give it a shot :) anything to keep this wonderful community and fantastic spirit :)
    Is someone capable of doing a wiki perhaps? To explain stuff in glitchy terms? ;)
    Posted 11 years ago by Hen vla Ham Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, it doesn't explain things in terms of Glitch, but the Minecraft Wiki has just about everything that one could wish to know about the game. I'd suggest keeping the crafting section up while playing because learning the recipes is probably one of the most complicated things about the game.
    Posted 11 years ago by Vexia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is an extremely interesting game and I've been on the Minecraft Wiki to check it all out & watched some beginner's videos on the Minecraft site. I see that you pay x amount and download the program which you can then play as a single player or in a multiplayer group. Not sure how to connect to a server, though, and it's a bit of a frustration at the moment. If somebody could give me that info, then I'd definitely play.
    Posted 11 years ago by Moz Art Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Let's do it!
    Posted 11 years ago by Coke Subscriber! | Permalink
  • can't you use WorldGuard to create peaceful and non-peaceful areas so that veteran minecrafters like myself can keep the creatures at bay on their own?

also i definitely want in on this
    Posted 11 years ago by Beru Subscriber! | Permalink
  • there's also Multiworlds which would let us have a creative map and a not-creative map that are completely separate from each other~
  • If we do a Minecraft server can it be Tekkit? Tekkit has sooooo much more to do than normal Minecraft.
    Posted 11 years ago by koolaroo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm so interested in this!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Eror Subscriber! | Permalink
  • AH! I am so excited! Minecraft is on the list of games I absolutely love! Glitchery fun on minecraft would be so amazing!
    Posted 11 years ago by Ascerie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, I love minecraft, but I've never played on a server with others before. I think taking the plunge with my fellow Glitchen sounds lovely. I also agree that no PVP seems to keep in the spirit of Glitch. 

"We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers."
    Posted 11 years ago by Drakani Subscriber! | Permalink
  •  köô┘αròô, i'd rather not use Tekkit, as it is somewhat not legal. Feed The Beast is almost the same thing, and it is legal, so....
    i think our fellow glitchen would love apiarying and.... trampolines.... hehehe
  • Ah ok feed the beast looks pretty good too.
  • For those that want to practice on a world that has been populated a bit, I've got a server that I host at my house that can be played on. I jump on with my spouse and have been having fun.

IP: mc.w3k.id.au
    Player Limit: 10
    Dynmap: mc.w3k.id.au
    Plugins: Bukkit, Worldguard Dynmap
    Backups: Hourly

I've made it public under good faith, so don't take things or wreck things that aren't yours otherwise I might just have to pull it down :)
    Posted 11 years ago by WaLLy3K Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Okay so I've been looking into it a bit, looked at the wiki and a load of YouTube tutorials, which give a lot of info about basic gameplay.

I really like how you can get really creative with building and landscaping and think it could be really addictive.

I do have some questions that I hope you guys can help with:

- how do I get started?
    Do I need to download something / install stuff / patches / mods?
    I have no idea.

- Do we have to pay £19.99 to even get started? (not that I'm opposed to paying but it's a steep entry fee IMO)

- Is there an open chat for us? Cause the vids I've been watching have been single player.

I'd really like a click by click, that way all newbies can follow along :)
    I think I'm not the only one here who mostly dabbled in flash / browser based games.
  • I  know NOTHING about Minecraft, , but what I've read in this thread makes me very interested in joining.
    Posted 11 years ago by caley dunn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hen: The price on the Minecraft.net site is the one off payment for the game (which isn't too bad for a game) and in Multiplayer, there is a world chat (T) to talk to everyone else.
  • If you want to try it out there is a free demo game on the site.  I kept exiting before the end and starting again about four times, so was really able to see if I liked it.  Was slightly hesitant about downloading, etc. but it has caused no problems and it was cheap at under £18.

These videos on youtube are linked to through the site and are an easier place to start than the wiki, as it is a bit overwhelming.

I have the monsters and whatnot turned off and am playing in peaceful mode, which is very easy. The main problem I have is getting lost - it's huge and no maps that I could find and remembering the ingredients to make things, it doesn't prompt you.  I did manage to set up base and build a chest, workbench and kiln within the first couple of hours.  The feeling of puzzling something out and creating it is actually more rewarding than glitch (for me) as it's more of a challenge.  I am even making glass and stone blocks now, so exciting :D

Just so as you know, I am not a gamer and found it easy to use, no real jumping, lots of fun, quite addictive and having it's own kind of beauty when you get used to the contrast to Glitch.    The music is lovely too.

I am RubyChard on there :)   
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wally and Parsley: good to know, I don't think £20 is pricey either and I'm totally up for paying for something I use (subscriber on glitch for about a year too) so I find it really useful to know I can dabble a good bit in the demo first. :)

I really speaks to my creative side as well as the exploratory side - big pluses!

I still would like help in basic setup - as in what do I need to download, and how to set it up pathes mods and all (and I do think I'm not the only one) and I'd love to help make a wiki just for us so everyone glitchy can jump in easily. I think this could be awesome!!

Just of the top of my head:
    Starter page: downloads, basic setup
    Beginners how to: links to vids, here you can get free ressourses we've gathered for you (just as the welcome wagon bags we used to make)
    Basic recipes
    Ect.

Oooh getting exited :)
  • I have been playing minecraft since September 2010, so if anyone needs help, just ask. I know basically everything, lol.
    Posted 11 years ago by Dr. Drizzle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've not played minecraft for about 12 months, but it would be great to start again on a server with likeminded people. I use to download and play minecraft adventures that other people had made, there was some really awesome ones which show there's almost no limit to what you can create yourself in minecraft.
    For those who haven't played minecraft before, here's one video that gives you an idea what can be achieved, look on youtube for more videos... www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4F...
    Posted 11 years ago by AlIitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • did someone say minecraft wiki?
  • Ah, minecraft.
    My former obsession :)
    I'd say it's just as good as Glitch in many ways - if the creative, building/decorating, exploring, collecting and hoarding aspects of Glitch appeal to you, then you'll love minecraft.
    I'm definitely in...username on MC is also CrypticEllipsis
    Posted 11 years ago by Cryptic Ellipsis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have heard of Minecraft, but never played it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i played the demo last night & checked the requirements for the game - all fine! its so much fun & i'm glad there is another game that interests me so i will download it next. thank you Monotoko for showing us Minecraft! i will try & use the same name - DaisyDiggory
    Posted 11 years ago by Daisy Diggory Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Minecraft is awesome I had a server but now it's outdated :(

Could we all be admins on creative???
    Posted 11 years ago by mango madness Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll play when I have free time ^_^
    Posted 11 years ago by Ctrl Alton Del Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Minecraft is my second favorite game! IGN: SmiVan (in case of whitelisting in future)

I can help you out with bukkit stuffs, and I'm pretty good with worldedit if you are going to install it.

When Mod API comes out, I can even try to recreate some Glitch items and blocks with autoinstalling mods.
    Posted 11 years ago by SmiVan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would play this! And maybe, if we have a Glitch or two with mod experience, they could make a mod to make the game more like glitch? Home street dimensions, etc?

Username's Nhojemon.
    Posted 11 years ago by nhojemon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't feel like playing a game where I have to dig a hole in order to survive the night. I heard that it was possible to have villages?
    Posted 11 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mal'akh, villages are where villagers spawn, but besides having prebuilt shelters and friendly villagers (perhaps with iron golems to protect them, if there's enough of them) they follow the same rules as the rest of minecraft.

my favourite starting house is on top of a tree. cut down a tree, turn it into a crafting bench, ladders, trapdoor (optionally fences as well if you have a lot of trees) and pickaxe. keep some logs for making charcoal later, and keep some planks if you want to have a wood floor instead of a leaf floor later. dig through the dirt to get enough cobblestone for a stone pick and sword and a furnace (that's 13 stone), use the ladders to ladder up another tree and put your stuff up there. put the trapdoor on top of the ladders so that things can't climb up it. you can use the remaining wood planks you have if you have any to make a floor, and put fences around the perimeter so you don't fall off. then, if you have any logs left, you can put those in the furnace to make charcoal! if you put those on top of a stick it makes torches, and mobs don't spawn in lit areas. (you can also use charcoal to make more charcoal efficiently, and also cook meats)

1 log = 4 planks
    4 planks = 1 crafting bench
    2 planks = 4 sticks
    1 ladder = 7 sticks
    1 char/coal + 1 stick = 4 torches
    3 planks/cobblestone/iron/gold/diamond across the top + 2 sticks down the middle = pickaxe
    (this is all on the wiki, which you should probably read in depth before playing otherwise a lot of the physics (or not physics) may surprise you)

whoa i accidentally wrote a guide to how to establish your spawn area in minecraft 
    oops
  • Well we could always play without mobs off I'm fine with that.
  • I feel to start off with, it'd make more sense to set everything to creative mode where we get to build what we want with passive mobs and unlimited block spawning.

At least for the first month or two (?) until we have a big world set up and then we can set it to survival and live in the buildings we've created, without feeling like it's a world you "survive" in.
  • I've never played Minecraft but would love to be a part of building New Ur.  Can anyone tell me what graphics capability is needed?  I am on a not so great Lenovo laptop since my good computer bit the dust.  Tried playing around with Second Life but not having much an easy time due to my lack of graphic capabilities.
    Posted 11 years ago by Princess Fi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't actually know the figures, but I'd estimate that Second Life takes way, way more graphics power than Minecraft. Like, way more. Lots.
    Posted 11 years ago by Jokes Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm looking for glitch players to play minecraft with! 
    Glitch players are SO nice! As opposed to most regular minecraft servers -.-
     I'd love to join a server with only glitch players on it :D

By the way, tekkit is not illegal, it has it's own modded launcher and connects through mine craft.net  It may be harder to start out on tekkit but it offers so many more building possibilities that regular minecraft doesn't. Plus, there's all the extra plants (crops) in it, which are more similar to glitch's than those on vanilla. 

Well, if anyone is playing MC and would like to join a server I play on (although it's currently very low trafficked) Or has one I could join please skype me or poke me on FB, my usernames are the same as here. The server I'm playing on that you could all join is up 24/7, has 200 slots :)  and an awesome owner who is very involved since he plays there (and is not a kid, but an adult, a playful adult and a very fun, wise and fair one) Oh, and it's all free, no donations or rank buying. The server was just about to close since no one was using it, so, I'd really really love to see nice sweet players such as glitchens over.
    Posted 11 years ago by rasamalai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • rasamalai, some of the mods have been bundled into tekkit without the permission of the mod creators. :C
  • Do you mean forestry? Because that one's been removed long ago.
    By the way, I still want to play minecraft with other glitchens! :C
    Anyone? (on PC)
  • So will the server be today or tomorrow?
  • I really wanna play on this server, but what plugins will be on it and what type of server is it?
    Posted 11 years ago by Tour DeCanada Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Heh, we need a Minecraft mod to make pigs nibbleable for raw porkchops...
    Posted 11 years ago by Rednic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • And chickens squeezable for grain? :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Jokes Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sooooo.... Whats the IP?
    It's 26th over here.
    Posted 11 years ago by SmiVan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A glitch mod for minecraft sounds like it could happen! :D Plus a texture pack! X)
    I guess perhaps post a request for it on the official minecraft forums?
  • If I knew how to make mods, I would have made an animal harvest mod.

Instead, I've requested it on the Bukkit forums.