Topic

Cubimal Dangle Earrings - CLOSED

Hi everyone,

Cubimal charm orders are now closed. As of this edit, over US$450 was raised for charity, more than I would have been able to donate if I had gone it alone. Thank you to everyone who contributed, I had a great time making your charms! Special thanks to those who ordered multiple charms, donated more than I asked for, or donated multiple times: you know who you are, and you are awesome.

Happy New Year everybody, may 2013 bring you new adventures and fine company.

DOOMy Nutpuncher.

ps:  if you contacted me before 31 Dec 2012 and have not finalised your order, please get in touch with me as soon as you can so that I can get your charms out to you. Planks!
_________________________________________________________________________________
So I had this idea a long while ago, but schoolwork prevented me from going through with it. Now that I'm on vacation, I finally have the time to sit down and make these.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73331238@N08/sets/72157629491763589/

Designs so far:
Piggy (Mk II)
Musicblocks
The Rube
Firefly
Snocone Vendor
Squid
Uralia Street Spirit
Factory Defect Chick
Yeti
Chick
Emobear
Seasoned Eggs

Some of these are available by request once current stocks are exhausted. 

I am doing these as a fundraiser for the International Red Cross. Please send me an in-game mail telling me which charm you would like and I will send you my email address. Each charm needs a $10 (or the equivalent in your local currency) donation to their website at http://www.ifrc.org/en/get-involved/donate/ . For earrings, the donation is $20 a pair. Send me a copy of your donation receipt and your mailing address, and I will get to work!

Finally, as the real world and the necessity of finally getting a bloody job looms on the horizon, these charms will only be available until midnight, 31 Dec 2012 Australian Eastern Daylight Saving Time. However, all requests received for available charms before this time will be honoured.

Thank you so much everyone, devs and players alike, for making such an awesome game!

PS: Don't sue me Stoot! I'll remove the link if it's not kosher.

Posted 11 years ago by DOOMy Nutpuncher Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

Previous 1 2
  • Hehehe. Piggies. Not kosher. :P

But seriously, they are super cute.
    Posted 11 years ago by karibean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • See what I did there? ^^
  • Aw it's SO cute!
    Posted 11 years ago by Biohazard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My friend (who makes and sells polymer clay accessories) took one look at your prototype and says that she will copy and improve on it... maybe even mass produce it.

...she's also yelling at me right now to tell you guys that she plans on making Heli Kitties first.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wanna do this! But instead of earrings I want to make a charm necklace or bracelet (maybe series one and two will have their own set :P)
    Posted 11 years ago by Sweetum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, I love that. I definitely would buy them as earrings or phone dangly thingies or as a charm for a cubimal bracelet...
    Posted 11 years ago by Ninetails Subscriber! | Permalink
  • oh yeah i'd collect them to make charm bracelet!  give us the deets where/when to place orders!
    Posted 11 years ago by crème Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Again be warned these designs are not in the public domain.  Stoot has indicated he will allow personal use, but commercial ("mass") production is probably out of the question. Be sure to get authorization first.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, warned my friend about that. :)
  • Ooo.... a charm bracelet is a FANTASTIC idea.  A bracelet with all my favorite cubis :)
    Posted 11 years ago by ennuienta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Freakin' ADORABLE. Love them!

And yeah, you pretty much can't do anything with Glitch stuff that will make you money, as that would violate their copyrights. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Liathea Subscriber! | Permalink
  • omg!  A charm bracelet with all the cubimals would be amazing!!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Soooo cute. Love 'em!
    Posted 11 years ago by Georgia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • These are awesome!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Coke Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh gosh, that's adorable!  I'll have to try making some myself.
    Posted 11 years ago by Hirune Subscriber! | Permalink
  • LOVE the charm necklace idea!
    Posted 11 years ago by chilirlw Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the comments guys!

I have a germ of an idea for these, but I can only do so many charms in a day and in the simpler designs (they're fiddly to make!). However I do like to challenge myself, so here it is:

Send the International Red Cross a donation, and I will make and send you a cubi charm. I'm thinking maybe $10 per charm (or the same amount in your equivalent currency, double if you want a pair of earrings). To limit this to Glitchen only, send me an in game mail (because them deliveryfrogs are really cool guys) and I will send you my email address so I can see a copy of the receipt. I'll probably need to make a few more prototypes first, but what do you think guys?
  • Updated the link to point to whatever I've made so far. Musicblocks and the Rube!
  • Sounds good.  Would you take requests?
  • I will, but if the cubi is too complicated I might not be able to make it. Transparent ones like the firebog street spirit are also hard to make. What did you have in mind?
  • The firebog street spirit :P  LOL.  Yeah, I can see how that'd be really hard.  What about the crab, sno cone vendor, uralia street spirit, groddle street spirit, butler, firefly?  I imagine the butler would be hard, too... so stripe-y!   I can "buy" five.
  • If something flatter would be acceptable, you could make the firebog street spirit out of shrink plastic.

ETA - you could also try that clear resin? I keep seeing people make jewelry with things trapped inside out of it so that could be a viable option
    Posted 11 years ago by Fern Connelly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Clear resin is the only alternative to making some cubis like Gwendolyn, the Phantom and firebog street spirits. Transcluscent, transparent and liquid polymer clays won't give the same effect.
  • @ennuienta - the sno-cone vendor and firefly are definitely ok to make. I may have to experiment with the crab. the street spirit ones might be a bit fiddly but I'll see what I can do. The butler does look complicated, but not impossible with paint and a steady hand.

@Fern - I must check that clear resin out! Transparent designs are the bane of crafters who work in polymer clay. Thanks!
  • You're welcome! I've not tried the clear resin myself but it looks like it'd work out pretty well. You could also look try sculpting them and then using mold-making compound to cast them (although I've not tried that method with resin so I don't know if you'd have release issues)
    Posted 11 years ago by Fern Connelly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You are very clever, they look great!
    Posted 11 years ago by onelittlebird Subscriber! | Permalink
  • DOOMy, I would totally go for that! But no idea how to send in-game emails yet. :( I was planning on making cubimals for my soon-to-be-sewn Glitch doll to play with, but probably just out of cloth and cardboard, because I can sort of sew but that's the extent of my crafty skills... :) A cubi pendent like these for him would be much more cool.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lorian Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lorian, go to your butler... click on them and choose "mailbox."  You can send mail there.  Also at the top right of your screen, where it lists your credits, account, etc, there's a picture of an envelope.  You can send mail from there, too, without having to be in-game.
  • ennuienta, thanks! :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Lorian Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Also, OMG, you made a weighted companion cube! I love you even more now. I'll email you in-game -- I must have me a piggy. 
  • (Do I have to have you as a contact before I can send you mail? I think I do.)
  • Yes, you do :)
  • FYI, a couple of people who are sewing butler plushies did get Stoot's approval, so I'd write him if I were you. It sounds like he'll be cool with it just as long as you aren't selling it as official Glitch merchandise. That would make the process much easier, I think, and you'd at least be able to cover the cost of your materials. :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Liathea Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow, the music blocks look amazing!
    Posted 11 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This looks amazing! I would *love* to have a yeti charm made. Would you be able to do a Glitchmas yeti? If not, the cubimal would be great too.
    Posted 11 years ago by Yeti Spaghetti Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Those are awesome! Well done!
    Posted 11 years ago by Hen vla Ham Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Yeti - not sure if I can do the Glitchmas Yeti, but the yeti cubimal is a possibility.
  • DOOMy, what about the factory defect chick cubimal?
  • DOOMy, just saw the firefly.... it's adorable. :)  I left a comment on that page, but will leave it here, too.. not sure if you are aware there are larger pictures of the cubis on the wiki!
  • Wow! I love these :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Llewella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey, there are a couple of spots that have bigger fireflies you can see up close.  Here are a couple of snaps:
    Seela Latta in Kalavana has some in a jar: lem.to/p/imXh

Maybe Marsh in Shimla Mirch has some wild ones that are larger: lem.to/p/xxPL

-- Botia, aka The Glitch Naturalist :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Botia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How much do they cost?  I might just to have one! ^-^
    Posted 11 years ago by Fullmetal Geek Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @chilirlw - know where I can see a pic?

@Botia and Fullmetal Geek - Post updated with details on how to get a charm ^^
  • http://www.glitch.com/items/collectibles/npc-cubimal-factorydefect-chick/
  • Updated with a list of available designs!
  • *face-palm* My original in-game mail went astray and I've been away. I've sent you an in-game mail, but with your note that you'll be away, I'm not sure you'll see it before close. Please let me know if you receive it? I'll keep an eye on this thread.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kiachan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't know whether it's too late to ask for one of these now...
    Posted 11 years ago by Existential Doubt Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was wondering the same thing, Existential. Knock, knock: are you there, DOOMy?
    Posted 11 years ago by Lilycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, I hope not! I just found these and I *have* to have the musicblock earrings! ;-;
    Posted 11 years ago by Kestin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is a Uralia Street Spirit or Squid still available? T_T
    Posted 11 years ago by Drakani Subscriber! | Permalink
Previous 1 2