Topic

I need your help to make a new game for all us lost Glitchen.

I don't know how long it's going to take, and I don't know how long this site is staying up, but the first thing is almost certainly going to be longer than the second thing, so I made a post for it over at the Gathering of the Lost Glitchen.

In short, we've all (or most) been trying to find another game to migrate to, but we've been stopped by the fact that there are so many games out there that just aren't quite the right fit. Well, I want to try making one: a game that Glitchen will love because it is made with the love of Glitchen. And with luck, work, and some help from you guys, I might just be able to do it.

Let's make our dreams come true.

Update: We now have our very own game website, complete with a forum!

Posted 11 years ago by Jokes Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• There was a survey Lyrical did here that pretty much summed up what those that answered wanted. Here is a comment I posted on a group page that sums up my feelings.

Dear Cosma (or any other Giant who can respond),Please tell me what else there is to life if all the fun things are being taken away? I don't care to talk politics or war. I'm not interested in football or the latest report on Kate Middleton's pregnancy. All I want to do is escape from the tired redundancy that is called adult life and recall the fascination with surprise and discover the wonder of childhood yet again. I want to hold a doll. Pet a pig. Decorate a room or two and spin a wheel for a prize. I want things to drop out of the trees when I walk by. I want some joy in my life. If you (or anyone else) knows where to find some please let me know. Until then, I'll go watch Rudolph and wait for your reply. Sincerely, Holly
    Posted 11 years ago by Holly Waterfall Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ooh, thanks for the link. I hadn't considered that survey a resource, but now that I think about it, I bet it'll help.

What I'm really looking for, though, is things like your comment here. Numbers don't tell me nearly as much as feelings do.
  • Another resource that you might consider is what is happening on Facebook right now:

www.facebook.com/groups/307...
    Posted 11 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hope you have genius level database skills because, in the end, that's what it comes down to.
    Posted 11 years ago by Goddess Freya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I gave up on Facebook a year ago and am not touching it ever again, so anything that happens on Facebook is closed to me.
  • Jokes-if you are on G+ feel free to add me I am still Holly Waterfall there.
  • Thanks, Holly! But G+ never really caught me either.

By the way, for anyone who's interested, I have this up as a main site post on Gathering of the Lost Glitchen now and I've changed the links in the OP to reflect that.
  • Jokes-trying to get over the ending sadness here and watching the movie "Miracle on 34th Street" (the original version 1947 is the best). Anyway, the lesson to take away is if you believe then it must be so. Also, it is important to have imagination (okay typing that made me sad again). But the child-like visions and beliefs that all is right in the world is what I felt when I played this with all my friends. I believed that nothing else mattered. Watch the movie if you don't know it. See if you feel this way. That is what I want a game to be. Innocent.
  • A few months ago, another MMORPG I have been playing off and on for the past 7 years received notice it was being shut down. That game was City of Heroes (and linked sister games). Not only was the game being shut down, but so was the studio even though evidence existed that it was still earning significant profit. 

The last day the servers were up was at Midnight, December 1, 2012.

Since that time, like here, a number of us came together to rebuild a new game (within legal limits) that preserved what we had before. We have gone so far as starting to form an official corporation - Missing Worlds Medial, Inc. DBA and Federal tax ID already acquired. We heard about Gltch's plight. We have discussed it. And if we can lend aid in helping to recover Glitch's spirit too, I think we can help. We might even be able to put your under our umbrella if you'd like. We share the same basic goal - to recover the games we love. 

Our forums are at MissingWorldsMedia.com/phpbb/
    Please respect that it's not a Glitch forum, but it might open up a space just for that. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Fokian Fool Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Fokian - That'd be genius!

And hi! Been a long time :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes it has. I was just about to re-up my subscription to Glitch too. Even though I couldn't play as much as I liked I still wanted to support this wonderful, beautiful, crazy game.

I'm the primary moderator on that forum I linked and a company officer. I'm also the User Interface team lead and programmer. As a matter of fact I'm an officer with TWO game companies at the moment in startup and both look good to go. I'm also the person behind all the paperwork for their legal formation.

I can guide the reGlitch project through it's formation. I might even get it as another project with it's own forum within the same domain. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Fokian Fool Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Someone did save all the text from the trees, rocks, pigs, etc....off the top of my head im not sure who. Obviously, just like the art and music you cant use the exact things...but....all should help keep some of the ideas behind Glitch fresh in our minds, at least. I did ask the Glitch looking to make a text game your way too Jokes, thought ti might help....and sent them to Gathering of Glitchen BTW. There is an Art collection forming too Art made from Glitchen...anyway they are over at Gathering of Glitchen too....that also might help:)...so sad to see this game go...nothing compares TBO, NOTHING....anyway....its definatly worth putting our Glitchen heads together to see what we can come up with:)
    Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Somebody else might make a game that is a direct reincarnation of Glitch, and I wish them all the luck in the world, but that person won't be me. What I want to do is subtler—I want to take Glitch as the foundation of a genre, and make a game that is lovable for all the same reasons without being the same game.
  • Update: We now have our very own game website, complete with a forum!
  • Good to hear!
    Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • For your new site, should you need content writers or eventual moderators, please remember me! To create and imagine up a world would be absolutely amazing, and absolutely within my abilities, and I'd love to help contribute to your project in any way!
    Posted 11 years ago by Kurtie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for your support, guys! :)
  • Good luck on your project Jokes, I'll keep my eye on it with hope. xx
    Posted 11 years ago by Talia True Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Check out Animal Crossing, for Nintendo systems.  It was a major inspiration for Glitch, and in some ways succeeds where Glitch did not.  Essentially, in AC, you move to a new town, pay down debt on an expandable house, decorate the house with furniture, help your NPC neighbors, go fishing, catch insects, donate items to the town's museum, draw your own art, apply the art to clothing and more, create your own constellations, customize the town's music, send mail and attachments to friends and NPCs alike, and on and on.  You can visit a nearby city to buy unusual items and meet more NPCs.  When you visit a friend's town, your constellations drift into his night sky, and his constellations into yours.  It's truly adorable.

AC provides more of a creative outlet than Glitch did, which is something that many of us really wanted here.  AC is also non-violent.  (The only violent aspect I can remember is that if you don't play for a long time, you will find some bugs in your house when you return, and you can step on them to make them disappear.)  Like Glitch, it has a sense of humor, cute artwork, and a relaxed style of play.  Unlike Glitch, it provides many long-term goals, and there's no need to wait around for days or weeks to learn a skill.  The days are marked not only with a clock, but also with a sky realistically changing from day to night.  As the real-world seasons change, AC provides appropriate weather and holiday-themed events.  Some versions even provide a find-the-ghost quest, though it doesn't take long to complete, and the rewards are less creepy than a faded heart. :) 

I'm not suggesting that anyone re-create AC -- a new version will be out next year, so there's truly no need -- but there's a lot to be learned by comparing the two games and then reading the forums here to see what players requested most often. 
    Posted 11 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I played animal crossing on the game cube, years ago, and was the only game I ever played happily until Glitch. 
    There's to be a new version?? I was considering buying a Wii just to play the original AC, but if so I will wait and see. I liked it a lot, though not as much as I loved Glitch.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lorian Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There will be one, called Animal Crossing: New Leaf, for the 3DS hand-held system.  You can see a bit of it here, but it's in Japanese, and of course the videos are spoilers, so I have only watched a few minutes. 

The new Wii U has a game called Nintendo Land which contains an AC mini-game.  You can see it here.  It's ridiculously cute, and a lot of fun.  My hope is that those graphics will be used in another new AC game.  I haven't found any concrete information on it, but I did find something about Nintendo staff wanting to use the Miiverse with AC, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If you're looking for people to play with, check out this thread!
    Posted 11 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just an idea: link
    Posted 11 years ago by Malc Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It looks cute but I don't have a nintendo...  :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Hollyhawk Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't know if I ever want to get involved in another start-up, beta-test game again. And Glitch was my first. I can't even imagine how all the Faunasphere people must feel about going through it all again.

However, I loved Animal Crossing! I used to play it on the Gamecube when my kids were little. It would be so amazing if there was a multiplayer version of Animal Crossing!

I have a Nintendo Wii but I don't want to play alone. And I don't want to buy a newer Wii.

As far as the MUD, I feel like that is the exact opposite of what I want. It is a game with combat but no graphics. I want a game with nice graphics but no combat.

I joined Second Life but it seems to be too much for my daughter's laptop and I want something I can play with her. Also, the crafting seems to be super super complicated.

ARRRGH! Why is this so hard? I just want a nice quiet cute little game where I can putter around with my daughter. I don't want to have to do anything real complicated or be attacked or robbed. I like games with fishing and farming. Mostly I like to get dressed up and decorate my house. Can it really be true that there is nothing like this in all of cyberspace??
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Bobbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Come play with us over at gourdianknot.com, Miss B! We might not be able to actually finish making the game, but we'll all be making it together :D. And in the end, it's about getting to spend some quality time together!
    Posted 11 years ago by Moehr Ossum Subscriber! | Permalink