Topic

Staff Topic

Official Encyclopedia Asset Licensing thread

Just now, we've added a section to most item pages in the Encyclopedia with some additional assets.  Depending on the item, there are spritesheets, animated gifs and static images in .png format. We are making these available under a "Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported" license which means you can use them in your own projects.

You can read a bit more about this (and some other things, like the availability of end of the world notes) in this new blog post, A Post-Game Update from Tiny Speck. And, if you have questions or comments, this is the thread!

(p.s. We've also made an addition to your individual "archive" pages so that the complete set of spritesheets for each of your saved avatar customizations are available, instead of just the static png files)

Posted 11 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 3 Next
  • Lemo: Regarding the license, it turns out that none of us are lawyers! I just checked. As such, we don't have any sage or lawyerly advice on how to interpret the SA clause for your situation.

Marky: For the avatars, we saved all of your selections to a DB -- hair, color, clothes, face, etc -- and then farmed it off to pool of machines that was dedicated to grabbing each one of those flash assets and combining them into all of the spritesheets needed for your character. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Little Poundcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Lemo: Just my opinion, but I think the license means you can't gain monetarily from whatever you use the assets in. According to the actual license:
    You are free:
    • to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
    • to Remix — to adapt the work
    Under the following conditions:
    • Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work). -- Basically whatever belongs to TS et al must be attributed to TS et al.
    • Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.-- Basically you can NOT gain monetarily from anything you make using any of the TS content.
    • Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.-- Whatever you make with the stuff TS gave us must be distributed with the same license, granting the same privileges to copy, distribute and transmit the work and/or to adapt the work to everyone you give it to.
    It doesn't necessarily mean you have to give out your code, just that anyone is free to get your code however they might do that and can use it under the same license.

That just about covers it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I am obviously not a lawyer. :) (I just researched a bit because I was considering using the assets in some way and wanted to know if donations counted--and I think they do, unfortunately--as monetary gain.)

Edited to add the Construct 2 info and to correct typos and bad grammar:
    With the free addition: Not allowed to be used for commercial purposes (however, it can be used in education and other non-profit organisations).
    The other licenses are referenced here: www.scirra.com/tutorials/57...
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Kridla
    I haven't found any official source that discuss clearly about creative commons and donations,
    but having a look at the full license for by-nc-sa in the section 4.c:

"The exchange of the Work for other copyrighted works by means of digital file-sharing or otherwise shall not be considered to be intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation, provided there is no payment of any monetary compensation in con-nection with the exchange of copyrighted works."

From what I understand, providing the game for free without asking anything in exchange makes it non-commercial, and the donation part doesn't change anything because it's optional and not connected in any way to the actual distribution of the game.

PS: I'm not a lawyer either
    Posted 11 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm so happy to find out about the addition of assets! You guys are awesome. :D

I wish there were gifs of the AFLC frog doing his yoga thing, and sloths, but there are PIGGY gifs and so many many more, YAY!!!

Thank you all so very much!
    Posted 11 years ago by Dwit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Whoops, my bad on the yoga frog. Its gifs weren't public. Now they are!

www.glitch.com/inhabitants/...
  • @Lemo: I did see that in the full license. And, it's true donation is optional. Hmm....
  • Glitch the game that keeps on giving even after it's shut down. Thank you so much for this <3
    It will really help me with a project I'm working on here.
    Posted 11 years ago by Zwitter Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Little Poundcake: thanks so much for making the frog gifs public! :D :D :D The yoga frog was one of my very favourite things in Glitch. <3
    Posted 11 years ago by Dwit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • it helps a lot with Memories Of The Giants, too :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Marky Thirteen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The inhabitants section of the encyclopedia should have Trisor and the Scion of Purple They were quite possibly my favorite parts of the game.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kalmiopsis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, please do bundle them all up for us!
    Posted 11 years ago by Contrivance Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So here is where I am sitting right now...
    In front of Second life (a sandbox 3d world) where I can see a distinct path to taking the sprite sheets and creating usable animated avatars given the correct set of secondlife scripts. Additionally, full street shots could be used along with invisible prims (places to stand) so that the terrain and various standing places could be recreated in world. Additionally Additionally AI coding is slightly far enough along in the game to lend itself to making animals/trees/rocks at the very least interactive.

But the time to do all of this would be alot so my question is- if someone put together the scripts for these things could they sell these things in the secondlife game noting that they are charging not for the assets which are freely available but for the script and design? *ASKS Staff*

Secondly is it possible to view the character assets of our fellow players?*asks anyone who may know*
    Posted 11 years ago by Mt Dew Me Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If you bundle your scripts without any content from Glitch, I would suppose you can distribute them anyway you like, as long as they're just scripts (and if they don't retrieve content from Glitch sources automatically). That said, I'm not sure it would feel so great with 2d characters in a 3d environment...

And about your last question, you would be using this API method
  • The problem with selling the scripts is that many glitchen wouldn't be able to simply join second life and start their second-glitch experience (as I am calling it). Additionally in the case of walking sprites, there are frames that I would need to remove per player due to scripting constraints in sl.

As for 3d-2d there is a way to force cam so that it would appear 2d and plus, I think at this point, people just want any peice of glitch back they can get. (at least for me)
    Posted 11 years ago by Mt Dew Me Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is there any video out there with this 2d view in SL? I'm curious to see how it looks

@LP The encyclopedia entry for the Forehorseman has two lil issues
    It shows "0" as the filesizes
    And the "frantic" animation is looped 4 times in both the png and gif (where you'd just need one loop)
  • Mt Dew Me: We're not lawyers, so we're really not qualified to answer any of those questions. The next Tiny Speck project is not a law firm. :) Also note that we will shut down the API when we shut down the other things mentioned in the last blog post. Don't rely on that for any long-term projects!

We still hope to modify the license to something more permissive. Should we succeed, we'll definitely let you guys know. We will be releasing many, many more assets under some sort of license — avatars and clothing, overlays, and location decorations are in progress.
  • @Little Poundcake: Wow, more stuff for us? Just, wow. Thank you :)
  • Ah finally we get an official notice about the API, too bad it has to close...

Do you plan to keep the individual "archive" pages with the spritesheets for everyone on the other hand? The most interesting part of the API "after-glitch" was that scripted access to the avatar URLs to make mini-games easier, there could be just a single php script left for this purpose if the avatars stay around^^

Anyway good to hear about the other assets in progress!
  • With regards to keeping profiles and archives available: we haven't decided yet. 

We still have a single game server running specifically to support all of the things on the website that you guys are still using (home page updates, group discussions *cough*, wardrobe/vanity, profiles, mail, the API, etc.). We do actually need to shut that server off at some point. :) We have to do some engineering to separate web site features from the game server for anything that we want to remain available for the long haul. The encyclopedia is already mostly decoupled from the game server, but anything else is going to require some work. 
  • Please, please, don't shut that server off. If you could just start a Kickstarter for whatever it costs to keep that last server running for the next say 2 years, I PROMISE you we will make it worth your while..... !!!!
    Posted 11 years ago by EgIantine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hope you keep the API server. it would be good.
    Posted 11 years ago by Reepicheep Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Its good to dive into the API every now and then....
    Posted 11 years ago by Marky Thirteen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • LP, thank you guys for keeping it running as long as you have!  There have been a lot of thirteenth hour connections made since the game shut down, and you've done a real service to the community to help us to keep in touch.  Most of my friends are now connected through about five other sites, so we're good at this point, but every last second has not been wasted, and still won't be!

When I talk to people who've never played before about how you've handled the shutdown, their jaws drop, and then they mutter, "if only other companies knew the benefits of it."

I hope you guys see the benefits returned in the years to come,  because the world has to learn somehow.
    Posted 11 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Premature posting sorry
    Posted 11 years ago by MisAdventure Subscriber! | Permalink
  • TY so much - you folks are a class act from start to finish.  And greatly appreciated
    Posted 11 years ago by MisAdventure Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My wife loves the Shepard Fairey style "Hoe" poster that shows up on buildings in Aranna - I've looked through the assets in the encyclopedia and haven't been able to find it.  Is there any way I could get a sprite of this so I can make a t-shirt of it for her?

I would sincerely appreciate it.  (And she would, too!)
    Posted 11 years ago by mojonix Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 3 Next