Topic

In theory, how much would it cost...

...to pull TS back together, possibly rebuild Glitch on a more sustainable platform (if Flash really is the problem), and keep it going for at least a good ten years?

I'm just wondering because in my fantasy world I just won a lot of money and I want to know how much to send to fantasy!TS along with my loophole-free contract stating that by accepting the donation, they agree to use it to bring back and maintain the game, rather than spend it on something irrelevant (I know you, corporations!)

So...how about twenty years? How much more would that be?

Fifty?

Posted 11 years ago by Kestin Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• a plate of beans
    Posted 11 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One Game Server.
    Posted 11 years ago by WaLLy3K Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Maybe 40 million for ten years with no growth and no inflation? Semi-random guess but probably in the ballpark.
    But I think the bigger concern would be that if we STILL can't make Glitch a sustainable, healthy growing game, motivation might be a hard thing to find for people working on it. Sure people would still get their guaranteed paychecks for ten years, but that's very, very low motivation to me and to most people who worked here I'm sure. We just couldn't see any signs that the game was gonna ever grow. And doing that for ten more years may be sadder than shutting the game down. We wanted to do something great.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kukubee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *whistles in amazement*
    Posted 11 years ago by La Mariposa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aw, Kukubee, you guys did do something great. Nothing lasts forever ('cept faith, hope, and love, I've heard). We'll carry the experience with us forever. Love you TS-rs. Bunches.
    Posted 11 years ago by Axa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kukubee gave the answer; loads of players. That's what it would cost to bring back Glitch and keep it running. Because let's face it, it would get downright boring for everyone involved if Glitch was stagnant.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • kukubee, darlin', you DID something great.

i think at some point it would have hit the tipping point and become wildly popular, just because it was so incredibly rich and fresh.

but finding that magic demographic was not going to be fast enough to make it pay off for you guys. i think if you all could have afforded to keep it going for those ten years you would have gotten the player base you needed, but you were so asset rich on the front end you needed a better timeline than that.

but, oh my stars! what a world you created! it was like stepping for the first time into narnia or through the phantom tollbooth. it was a world rich and deep enough to live in and a landscape true enough to feel distance and homesickness and it had a sense and system of its own logic that felt organic and whole.

somewhere there has to be a way to make something like THAT and have enough people find it in time to support it.

one of the problems is that your ideal demographic is maybe the kind of person who does not play computer games but would if they had seen a game like glitch.

it's hard to reach those people.

you reached me by accident. i thought: another game? meh. and i left my invitation to play in my inbox unopened for months. and then i went in just to look around because i had time to kill.

and i fell full on in love with it. i dreamed glitch dreams and i lived in groddle meadow. i really lived there as much as i have ever lived in any physical place and i am so homesick for it that i still cry.

you guys created a thing of astounding beauty and depth and it was great. i believe that someday there will be a thing like glitch that succeeds and we will all be able to point at glitch and say it was before its time, but it is the granddaddy of this new amazing thing.

the exiles will never be able to go home, but we once roamed a place called ur. we once lived as giant dreams. we once lived lives of surprise and delight and did amazing feats and we were great.

you wanted to do a great thing, and you did. the fact that it did not last forever did not make it less great.
    Posted 11 years ago by flask Subscriber! | Permalink
  • you have such a wonderful way with words flask. Very poetic ....and very true!
    Posted 11 years ago by Talia True Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bless you, dear flask for saying what was in my heart.
    Posted 11 years ago by Hab Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm working on writing a kind of sequel to Glitch in the Dart language.
    If you want to see a live copy I've got one here: www.paulvankeuren.com/WebAp...
    Posted 11 years ago by Paul ♖ DarkKiero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • nice stuff Paul, do you plan do have some actual multiplayer aspect with the server-side involvement and all that?
    Posted 11 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kukubee, you did great work. No it did not result in fame or fortune, but hopefully it can result in satisfaction of knowing you were part of something unique and sadly underappreciated.

I think most of Glitch's problems were due to poor platform choice, and not reacting quickly enough to poor platform choice. Other issues like lack of customizeability and the "fun factor" were genuine problems, but were fixable (and were actually in the process of being fixed).

I also remain bewildered how often we hear that lack of players was Glitch's biggest issue. Did Glitch ever officially re-launch? Or even publicize that it had moved back into open beta?
    Posted 11 years ago by Yendor Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My husband is coding a game which may appeal to some Glitchen.  I am mentioning it here because our ideal demographic has similarities,  just as Flask said,
    "one of the problems is that your ideal demographic is maybe the kind of person who does not play computer games but would if they had seen a game like glitch.
    it's hard to reach those people."

We are sad to see the closing of Glitch, and thank the TS team for such a unique and enjoyable gaming experience. As yet we are in the infant stages of the Gobbler's development, but  will welcome any interest. Our web site showing screenshots and contact details is
    little-possums.net
    Posted 11 years ago by Pameow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, if I ever won Powerball, I would invest in this game (or whatever Tiny Speck has planned next).

Actually, you would have to wait in line behind Double Fine.  I really want Psychonauts 2.
    Posted 11 years ago by Jardex Subscriber! | Permalink