Topic

What do you do for a living?

Just out of curiosity, what do all y'all do for a living?

I'm a user experience architect, which means I help make things (usually, but not always, on the internet) easier and more fun to use.

Posted 12 years ago by Knitomaton Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I co-manage a holiday complex. 

So I get to do anything from cleaning cottages and making beds, to dealing with guests and taking bookings to doing the accounts and website maintenance to light property maintenance.  It's varied :)
    I pretty much do anything that needs to be done on site apart from garden maintenance (I hate gardening with a passion).

Sometimes I get more free time than I know what to do with, other times... not so much.

At the moment, we're just going through a quiet patch, which is quite welcome :) November and February are our quiet months usually. 

Posted 12 years ago by Ebiler Subscriber! | Permalink
  • student/retail, studying to become an archivist
    Posted 12 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • (Relatively) nubby web developer.  User experience architect sounds wayyy awesome :).  Didn't know you could get a job just doing that.  Mind you, my country is probably too small.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lara Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a stay-at-home dad, caring for a 10 yr-old and a 1 yr-old. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Whym Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Props to you Whym!
  • College student. Majoring in anxiety with a minor in slacking.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kestin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm the opposite Kestin. Major in slacking right here :D
  • Management Consultant.  I spend a lot of lonely nights in hotel rooms, so Glitch is a nice way to burn time.  :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Hunter Gathers Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Video editor in television news. Working on doing voiceover as a sideline/new career.

Have also been a planetarium lecturer, museum docent, and online gamemaster in my spare time.
    Posted 12 years ago by TK-855 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What Kestin said, except that I'm taking a year off at the moment for health reasons.

(My actual declared major is printmaking, though I make a lot of different types of art and will most likely end up doing something entirely unrelated for the bulk of my meager income.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Spaghetti Thompson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Elyd: There are days where video editing is my profession, but it isn't my passion - which the other jobs (all part-time) have been closer to: creating/educating.

As an old instructor once said, "You can be money happy or job happy, but it's rare that you'll be both."
    Posted 12 years ago by TK-855 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Program coordinator for an Adult Literacy program -- which helps illiterate adults learn to read.
    The stat for low level literacy in Canada is 42%...not including ESL people
    Posted 12 years ago by ◘ ▪ Leï.Leï ▪ ◘ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Web developer. My money comes from banal projects like business websites, but I keep myself entertained with game-related projects.
    Posted 12 years ago by Reihox Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stay at home mommy to a lovely 18 month old and there's another onthe way. I'm working part-time at amazon.com at the moment, though.  Next semester I'm going to culinary school,!
    Posted 12 years ago by EzBreezy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Seeing as Whym gets props, so does Ralis! ;)

Just now I'm not working because I'm ill. I really picked a great time to be too ill to work in the UK, especially as it's not a visible condition and doesn't impair my ability to, say, walk across a room. Most of the time. So I'm trying to find a low-stress part-time job in a city where they're looking at me strangely because I obviously dye my hair. It's not going too well.
    Posted 12 years ago by Hallirackit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well now, let's see... I pet piggies, pick cherries, bubble and beans, and I mine a bit and make earthshakers....doh! you meant irl.

RoR based web design and system administration, with a bit of graphic-design and advertising thrown in.
    Posted 12 years ago by Woochi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am a retail monkey. I sell a lot of lawn equipment. I also run a small online bookshop w my mom
    Posted 12 years ago by dr kelly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I bake bagels when sane people are still sleeping. I'm returning to school to be an occupational therapist assistant. I'm also an artist and musician :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Teres Minor Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lots of stuff. Animation workshops are a big one right now, otherwise I work as a coordinator on animated film sets (that means I'm the person who knows what the hell is going on), make short animations, illustrate books, make websites, translate scripts and things...

With all of this, you'd think I would be able to make a decent living! :P But it's either a drought or a flood. Right now we're in a drought >:(.
    Posted 12 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a social media manager and acting national sales manager.  Totally unqualified to be the national sales manager, but love being the social media manager.  Plus, not one person at my office has a technological bone in their body, so they have no idea what I do all day.  Sometimes what I do all day is play Glitch.
    Posted 12 years ago by FaerieInGrey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Software developer, internet marketer, Linux security. As geeky as it can get, I guess.
    Posted 12 years ago by Heatseeker Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Software developer for a major corporation. Basically Alice from Dilbert, with straight hair.
    Posted 12 years ago by rebma Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a science teacher.  Right now, it's middle school and I love it, but I've taught just about every grade level from K up to college.  I'd be an ecology or botany teacher if I had my way, but I keep getting stuck with physics or anatomy classes.  Hurk.     

I'm in the middle of a move to Germany, so who knows what I'll be teaching over there when I land a job. I'm certified to teach any science 5th-12th grade, which makes principals gleeful.  Cross your fingers someone over there will hire me right away! :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Feylin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I used to mine a lot to earn the dough, but recently I've learned Animal Kinship so I've cut back on the mining to focus on my animals. These days I wander around Groddle harvesting everything I see.
    Posted 12 years ago by Frandroid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I sell books. National accounts for a major publisher. I'm hoping that books made out of paper will prosper long enough for me to get another 20 years out of my industry. I adore my job. Even the part involving hotel rooms cuz it gives me More Glitch and less Step Away From the Computer guff.
    Posted 12 years ago by Booknerd Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sculptor and Installation artist. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Papa Legba Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a sculptor and an improv actor.  I mostly get paid for the former, but occasionally the latter.
    Posted 12 years ago by ArtOfHands RoboGirl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ohhh, lovely! A couple of artistic folk in the mix :)

@Booknerd, love the name :D
  • High school student...how exciting :p 
    Posted 12 years ago by Karissa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I own and run a yarn shop (brick & mortar, not online).
    Posted 12 years ago by Bunuela Subscriber! | Permalink
  • social media marketing, freelance writing, some web design  
    Posted 12 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a librarian and I love it :)
    Posted 12 years ago by eviljen Subscriber! | Permalink