Topic

Staff Topic

R2: Preview of even more house features

It's that's time again - Release 2 of houses is upon us!

It will take a while to roll out the changes to everyone - you can leave your house and then type "/home" to be immediately migrated

To see the new features, reload your game client and visit your house (by typing "/home" in chat). The first thing you'll see is that there are no trees or rocks outside your house any more. But worry not - you can add some yourself with "cultivation". Click on the small sign next to your house to get a menu of options. Once you've mastered cultivation, you can try expanding your street and then changing your house exterior. You can also change the style of your home street. Sick of Groddle? Move to Uralia, Firebog or even THE MOON.

That's awesome, right? Wrong! There's more awesome stuff inside. Head to your backyard to switch styles, cultivate the land or expand your yard. Want to make your house interior bigger? Ok! When in decoration mode, click the buttons in the top bar to extend your house or add new floors.

There are a lot of moving parts in this release - we want to hear about bugs, what you like, what you don't like, areas we should expand on or improve and what you think we need to add. Go forth and test!

___
Questions? Please be sure to read this notes:

Note 1: All upgrades and expansions are free at the moment. This is only a test. There will be a housing reset before it is fully launched.

Note 2: If you missed preview release 1, read about it first!

Note 3: You can't move or delete gardens, rocks, etc., after placing them in cultivation mode. But, you will be able to do in the future.

Note 4: Are you missing some items? No, you are not. They are still there. In some cases, if things were placed near the edge of your yard or home street, you might have to expand a few times to reveal them.

Note 5: We are still testing and this is not the final release. There is more to come.

Note 6: Expansions to your land (yard or home street) happen one at a time. This may seem annoying/cumbersome/slow, but: you are testing as a higher level player when it is all free. If you were earning your way to a larger space over time, it would not seem thus because you wouldn't be doing them all at once.

Note 7: Can't find the upgrade (home-shaped) sign in by the back and front doors of your house. You probably have stuff on top of it. Pick that stuff up :)

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
  • Bees! maybe you guys could set up a poll to let people vote on if the crop/herb plots in the front yards should be locked. If you make it majority rules then it might (not really sure it will help) cut down on the complaining if they aren't the way someone likes it.

It would be awesome too if as someone else suggested we could customize the borders of things like our crop/herb plots, and the jellies, barnies, etc.
    Posted 12 years ago by Gizmospooky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Would love to have front yard gardens accessible to other people.  Would be  nice if you could have settings:
    anyone
    anyone except (list of blocked players)
    no one
    no one except (list of accepted players) which maybe automatically adds anyone with a key.
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've noticed that there's no visual cue for how much energy you're spending in the back yard other than what comes up in the local chat
    Posted 12 years ago by FaerieInGrey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Possibly related to my previous comment about the -1% lifespan, this morning I noticed the gas plant on my front yard has died and is now a patch - not sure if it was poisoned or if the game reset it, but now after I planted another gas plant bean the lifespan-o-meter seems to be gone for that patch entirely. The meter for everything else on my front yard still works fine.
    Posted 12 years ago by Boom and Bust Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So far I'm liking most everything about the test.

2 things:

I would like the placement of things in the yard to not be so strict. I would love my rocks to be closer together and I would like to be able to move things should I decide it's not what I want.

The other thing I would really like is a daylight scene wallpaper. I've seen many ideas to make windows in the house but the only scene we have to choose is a dark, bare trees scene. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Sunny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "right now there is no point on giving a key to someone really." - we're very unlikely to let anyone else decorate your house. gardens, trees, etc need some thought

"it would be fabulous if home owners could decide whether they wanted a public or private plot" - allowing some control while not making everything too complicated is a challenge!

Boom and Bust: weird bug, i'll look into it
  • Suggestion: Can we have more than one door to get upstairs etc.? Just so we don't have to walk all the way to one spot of the house to get upstairs?
    Posted 12 years ago by Jojo Bloom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • way too many comments to read, so apologies if this has been asked already:

How can I downgrade plots in the yard?
    Posted 12 years ago by ◘ ▪ Leï.Leï ▪ ◘ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the expansion options, but I don't like that once you place a patch/plot/rock, you can't get rid of it or even move it, it's especially annoying if you change your mind, or if like I did, I discovered the expansion option after placing a small herb garden plot.

I also miss being able to upgrade house decorations before moving them into the house. I liked looking at my options before putting it into the house.

ETA: It would be nice to have the option to "move" your house street to a different area. Like, I love the music in Alakol much more than the standard Groddle music, and I'd love to be able to keep it on my home street.
    Posted 12 years ago by Maddie_Rocca Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lei lei, you can't yet.
    Posted 12 years ago by Wooly Foxlet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Can we have more than one door to get upstairs etc.?" - that'd be good for huge houses. maybe!

"How can I downgrade plots in the yard?" - not currently

"I love the music in Alakol much more than the standard Groddle music" - we've been talking about making music a separate choice from street style, but we've not made a decision yet
  • I would love the music to be independent of street choice! Also, I'm gagging to be able to move my house around the street....
    Thanks for the everythings!
    Posted 12 years ago by mince Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ever wondered how Glitch features work? Tiny Speck's own Märt shows us the inner workings of cultivation.
  • Good one Bees!  Love the picture of Mart...

Thanks for the R2 upgrade, and also the bonus features on Wednesday.   Would love if the music could be chosen separately. I really would love the lost forest music (sooooo miss that old Rook quest), or the groddle intro/tutorial whistle...though, I'd probably never leave my street since I love that music so much...

Love the updates overall...agree with Sunny, it would be nice to have a happy sunshine wallpaper, or a nice sunset wallpaper to use as an alternate window of sorts.
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Enigma~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just a thought, noticed a few people having issues from not noticing they are in Cultivate mode -- might be useful if our avatars disappeared in that mode like they do in decorate, minimize some confusion.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "might be useful if our avatars disappeared in that mode like they do in decorate" - yeah
  • Foolishly changed my backyard to Silent Moon. It was unexpectedly loud, and stuck around despite me both changing the background and /leaving

It got better when I reloaded the game, but holy crap that was unpleasant
    Posted 12 years ago by MarbhDamhsa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • not sure if this is place to ask but a few requests for houses -
    1 ) LOVE having backyard themes -but PLEASE , please make a backyard theme that has the Highlands Music .. please. (perhaps Plush Pasture or Tip Top Trinket could have the Highlands music since they have the nice mountains in background ) .
    2) Please make ALL the coffee tables able to be pulled to the foreground .
    3) would love if the various lamps/light fixtures actually glowed (like the space age future one doe sglow- so it'd be nice to have that ability for other lamps -with the appropriate type glow-color for them ) .
    EDIT- sorry _ now i can see that some of the light fixtures do emit light ( i can see the wall sconces do ) - I think only the log cabin table lamp i have does not emit. maybe need to reload again though.also geisha doll table lamp does nto seem to emit light either
    Posted 12 years ago by serenitycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Actually now I'm having the same issue with the Uralia music (which I wanted to begin with, and have no complaints)
    Posted 12 years ago by MarbhDamhsa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I thought I'd pipe in on my thoughts regarding herb/crop plots in the front yard/street.

I really think all tools and resources should act the same way (from a UI perspective)

Visitors should be able to harvest/pet/water trees, mine rocks, whistle fireflies, and even harvest/water/add poop to the crops in that public space.

Regarding all "tools"; Visitors should be able to use block/wood/metal/fuel machines, collect from stills/milkers/meat collectors, use and tithe the icons, but the visitors can't walk away with any of them (as opposed to random food items left on the street, which visitors could take).  I really don't get why the still works so much differently from milker from the fuel machine.

and I'll echo the comments from some other people that windows or balconies would have been really nice; and some other house asthetics beyond the boxy rectangle would have been appreciated; so the inside feels like what the house looks like from the outside - either curves or jagged or rectangular...

OK, enough implied negativity...  The artwork and music is fantastic in R2.  I also wanted to say thanks for putting this out; I know more is on the way and the team is doing a fantastic job.  I'm looking forward to the next steps!
    Posted 12 years ago by Sparkly Vampire Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wish I was here to see it, but sadly where I am there is no computer. :( Hope you all have a great time anyway!
    Posted 12 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sparkly Vampire: "I'll echo the comments from some other people that windows or balconies would have been really nice; and some other house asthetics beyond the boxy rectangle would have been appreciated"

Does that mean it's too late and there's nothing we could ever do to make up for it? Because we actually weren't done yet :\
    Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As was mentioned above, the moon music seems to stick around until you reload
    Posted 12 years ago by Treesa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Treesa: all music does (sort of) - we're working on a fix :)
  • Note 3: You can't move or delete gardens, rocks, etc., after placing them in cultivation mode. But, you will be able to do in the future.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THAT!!!!

doing happy dance!!
    Posted 12 years ago by KinOfWolf~♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Something I'd love to do is be able to jump from my top floor down to the back yard instead of having go to the stairs then back over to the yard.
    Any chance of that, maybe?
    Posted 12 years ago by PittyPat is sad Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stewart : I'm absolutely confident that your team is kicking ass and all sorts of new interior housing options are "coming soon"
    I'm absolutely certain you can 'make up for it' and also that Tiny Speck will.

I just thought that R2 was really a trial run for the actual imagination changeover and I might make some descisions on how to spend imagination at that changeover that would be considered wasteful if some serious changes to the internal workings of our abodes come out in a couple of months (ladders, fireman poles, that oven I really want to make cakes and more pii)

Also, I was kinda expecting all of the internal decorations to be removed with this test, just to see what kind of a headache it will be to get stuff out of the moving boxes and back into their proper places.  For example the Wood machine I just assembled on my new second floor of my house... when this house goes away, where does that machine go? does it get disassembled and put in the moving box? is it just going to be on the main floor of my new unfurnished house?  I was thinking the 'moving process' would have been tested in this release (stuff from storage containers, etc...) as it is stuff got pushed off the edges of our screens...

None the less, I have complete confidence in the team and the transition will happen with relatively few hiccups and many huzzahs!
  • Enjoying fiddling around with my new house!  But one issue I'm having is that the "attic" is really tough to see/get to now that I've added the second floor.  I've been sort of using that in place of a cabinet, putting bags up there, but now stuff I store up there is often hidden on screen behind the magic rock or the map, and I have to either zoom or stand on some shelves to see and access any of it.  Would be nice to have that storage space appear a little lower, or have another way to get up there, maybe a door or ladder?
    Posted 12 years ago by Flighty Broad Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Flighty Broad: I don't think the attic was ever intended to be accessable space.  It was kinda an accident.  So I think they are working on better storage solutions than working on improving a 'hack' (hack being a clever/unexpected solution to a problem)

I mean really... needing to go into decorate mode to move stuff around.... not so intuitive.... (but very clever) especially after they closed the hole in the roof that let people walk in there....
  • "I've been sort of using that in place of a cabinet" - what if we just added craftable cabinets???
  • Bug: The Bewitched (something) background does a weird flicker when you first load it, either on your house, or when you walk onto someone else's street that has it. 

Bug? You can't use keyboard for new garden plots? I can't seem to select them via keyboard, or tab between each plot to harvest, water, plant, etc., like you can in Old Glitch.  I much prefer not having to click.  
    Posted 12 years ago by MissInformation Subscriber! | Permalink
  • can we please also keep the old wall colors in with the new ??
    ..i used to have a very nice sort of tan-peach-sunset type color that now seems gone .. (sadly I changed that wall segment and thought i could get it back - but it seems gone .... ) .
    Posted 12 years ago by serenitycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Bees!  Yes!  Craftable cabinets would be great, especially if I could make several and/or continually craft additional slots?
    Posted 12 years ago by Flighty Broad Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Bees! Yes, craftable cabinets with doors would be fine. Better yet, how about a crap cabinet as a freebee to start that can be upgraded later?
    Posted 12 years ago by GreyGoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A few bugs: 

-The same weird flicker when first loading my R2 street, as mentioned by MissInformation.  Also my glitch seems to manifest off the ground? before dropping to ordinary ground level.
    -One of the storage showcase things ate about 350 general vapour when I put them in.
    -Maybe not a bug: When I put full firefly jars into a storage showcase, it shows an icon of a jar with only one firefly in it, which was alarming, but when I took them back out they were all full.
    Posted 12 years ago by Flying Pangolin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "The Bewitched (something) background does a weird flicker" - all backgrounds do (sometimes). this is a know bug we're working on

"You can't use keyboard for new garden plots" - you should be able to. hmm

"can we please also keep the old wall colors in with the new ??" - i'm not sure quite what we took away, but we're going to redesign the picker a bit to allow us to have more choices
  • Apologies if this has been brought up, but I didn't see it in the rapid scan of the 7 new pages since I last looked (which was yesterday... wow)

Dark woods background theme - is it possible to reduce the brightness of the items placed in the front yard? They look like they have their own floodlights on them!
    Posted 12 years ago by arcturus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • NVM
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 1. I agree with Arcturus that things look odd on the Dark Woods background, but I was going to suggest lightening it a bit. I'm all for creepy gloom, but a solid black ground doesn't fit with anything in front of it (including glitches!).

2. After the last release, I was able to place things on top of my storage boxes. If this was a bug that you fixed, I humbly request that you unfix it. :)

3. I echo the request for Highlands music!

4. In some back yard/street combinations, I can hear both kinds of music at the same time.

5. Will we ultimately be able to build divider walls to create smaller rooms together on one floor?
    ANSWERED! (yes!)

6. I also wish there were more flexibility in placing cultivated objects in the yard/street. I realize this might not be possible for technical reasons I wouldn't understand, but having things so evenly spaced does mess with the aesthetic you've so beautifully created!
    Posted 12 years ago by Dr.Maud, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think I remember someone a few pages ago saying that it seemed too weird to have egg trees and herb patches out in the light.  I think I'm starting to agree.  However, it's much too useful to have so much flexibility in designing your home resources.  I think there are a number of possible solutions, either cosmetic or structural.  Maybe every egg tree built on a light theme street comes with a big picnic umbrella to give it shade, and cherry trees in a dark yard get a sun lamp?  Or you can choose to have your yard start above or below ground, and you have to spend imagination to excavate either up or down to expand your repertoire of choices?  I think it would be nice to take into account the nature of the ecosystem of Ur.
    Posted 12 years ago by KhaKhonsu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My butterfly can't go lower than in the capture below, even when i place the stick farther off the house.

www.glitch.com/snaps/PA9MHI...
    Posted 12 years ago by Ouaf Lechien Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ouaf Lechien: weird, we'll look into it
  • Hmmm... I built a new level, went through my door, and now although my glitch has gone back down again, the camera view is still set to the upper level.

Edited to add: view was still to high when I left the house or re-entered world. Reloading the game fixed it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Idalia Dahlia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I only started playing around with the new updates this evening and I have to say I love every single thing. I had no problems working with the decorating, house/yard expansions and cultivating - no bugs or weird events at all. The only problems were with my family being deafened by my eardrum-thumping squeeeee noises!

The outdoor area choices are lovely and creative and make me very excited for the other things which are still to come. I haven't seen anything that I could be unhappy about in the least.

I only want to add my vote for the following things:
    1) Highlands music: yes, please! :D
    2) Making all things shareable in the front street: visitors can harvest from all resources (including milkers, collectors, etc.), but they cannot remove them: yes, please!
    3) Having herbs and egg plants growing in the sun: yes, please!
    Posted 12 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  •  it seemed too weird to have egg trees and herb patches out in the light.  I think I'm starting to agree.

If you're not comfortable with them growing in the light, simply select a background that suits their normal environment more!
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  •  it seemed too weird to have egg trees and herb patches out in the light.  I think I'm starting to agree.

If you're not comfortable with them growing in the light, simply select a background that suits their normal environment more!
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "- we've been talking about making music a separate choice from street style, but we've not made a decision yet" - ref: Bees!

Please, yes.  This would seriously be awesome; it would make being at home that much more meaningful.
    Posted 12 years ago by Christine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes to being able to make music choices - and to the Highland music being one of them!
    Posted 12 years ago by Cristy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hello,

I don't know if this has been reported yet or not (but with 13 pages of comments, it might have..), but there you go. You mentioned street styles related to the moon or Uralia, and I can't seem to see them. I just see the lovely Groddle ones (5 of them), and that's pretty much it..

Good luck with the rest !
    Posted 12 years ago by Nezutori Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Limited access floors
    Someday will we be able to lock doors to upper levels? There are things that I like to place in my home that are effectively "lying around" and it can be cumbersome to place them in decorate mode. It would be really nice to just have areas in my home that are unreachable by Glitchen without keys.
    Posted 12 years ago by La Mariposa Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16