Topic

Staff Topic

R2: Preview of even more house features

It's that's time again - Release 2 of houses is upon us!

It will take a while to roll out the changes to everyone - you can leave your house and then type "/home" to be immediately migrated

To see the new features, reload your game client and visit your house (by typing "/home" in chat). The first thing you'll see is that there are no trees or rocks outside your house any more. But worry not - you can add some yourself with "cultivation". Click on the small sign next to your house to get a menu of options. Once you've mastered cultivation, you can try expanding your street and then changing your house exterior. You can also change the style of your home street. Sick of Groddle? Move to Uralia, Firebog or even THE MOON.

That's awesome, right? Wrong! There's more awesome stuff inside. Head to your backyard to switch styles, cultivate the land or expand your yard. Want to make your house interior bigger? Ok! When in decoration mode, click the buttons in the top bar to extend your house or add new floors.

There are a lot of moving parts in this release - we want to hear about bugs, what you like, what you don't like, areas we should expand on or improve and what you think we need to add. Go forth and test!

___
Questions? Please be sure to read this notes:

Note 1: All upgrades and expansions are free at the moment. This is only a test. There will be a housing reset before it is fully launched.

Note 2: If you missed preview release 1, read about it first!

Note 3: You can't move or delete gardens, rocks, etc., after placing them in cultivation mode. But, you will be able to do in the future.

Note 4: Are you missing some items? No, you are not. They are still there. In some cases, if things were placed near the edge of your yard or home street, you might have to expand a few times to reveal them.

Note 5: We are still testing and this is not the final release. There is more to come.

Note 6: Expansions to your land (yard or home street) happen one at a time. This may seem annoying/cumbersome/slow, but: you are testing as a higher level player when it is all free. If you were earning your way to a larger space over time, it would not seem thus because you wouldn't be doing them all at once.

Note 7: Can't find the upgrade (home-shaped) sign in by the back and front doors of your house. You probably have stuff on top of it. Pick that stuff up :)

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16
  • Not sure if anyone has posted this (but I don't recall seeing it). My garden plots at my Kajuu House have shrunk http://www.glitch.com/snaps/PUVSGG1ULJE2EBJ/2040-a4f6967689/ !
    Posted 12 years ago by foolbunny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • foolbunny - yep, this is known about... the new houses have smaller plot sizes and that's folded back into the old houses. Given that the old houses are going away in the not-too-distant future, it's apparently unlikely that anybody will fix that.
    Posted 12 years ago by Snazzlefrazz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • NERDGASM!!!

*dies*
    Posted 12 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just a few things I can think of now:

- Craftable cabinets: YES PLEASE!

- Smaller plots: I'm not such a fan of this, partly because I feel like the smaller plots are harder to click on, but mainly because the resulting smaller herb/crop images aren't as pretty.

- Positioning items in Cultivation: I agree that being able to adjust the depth of cultivation items might be good. I do think that being able to place certain items closer together (mainly crop/herb beds) would make for a more effective use of yard space. They were close up on one another in community gardens, so replicating that at home would be nice. I understand that part of this is so that one has to make an economic choice about what resources to have & how many, but aesthetically, spacing everything so far apart just doesn't look that great.

I've only come across one seeming bug: sometimes rocks (particularly my sparkly rock) don't seem to get "used up" as you're mining, which means I can mine something like 10-15 times in a row before the resource starts to deplete (sometimes more).
    Posted 12 years ago by Cricket Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is there some way you can make it so you can drag a swath of wallpaper instead of individually clicking each square?
    Posted 12 years ago by MarbhDamhsa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh. My. God.
    Oh. MY. GOD.
    OH. MY. GOD.
    OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD.

THIS. THIS THIS THIS. THISSSSSSSSSS. THIS. *hyperventilating*
    This is *EXACTLY*, *EXACTLY* what I've been dreaming of what housing should look like since way before we even knew housing updates were going to eventually happen. OH MY GOD THIS.

PERFECTION. YES.
    Posted 12 years ago by Arii Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had herbs planted in my garden!  Now they're gone, and I've expanded as far as I can.  Are we just going to have to do without?
    Posted 12 years ago by Thy Nguyen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Whenever I change the style of my house, the music from the previous style overlaps with the new style.
    Posted 12 years ago by ☠ lala512 ☠ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wanted to add some peat to my front yard but was told I didn't have the space. So I expanded my yard. Still not enough space. So I expanded again. Still not enought space. Finally after 3 expansions I had enough space to add Peat.

Shouldn't something like this take only 1 or at most 2 expansions of my yard? If I was using Imagination and had to spend 3x whatever it would cost just to have the space for a little Peat I think it would be frustrating and way too pricey.

Was this just a bug?
    Posted 12 years ago by The Cat Face Subscriber! | Permalink
  • All I can say is I'm Loving It!!!!! The game keeps getting better and better! Thanks devs!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Fstra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Cricket, some rocks have 150 chunks rather than 50, and they appear full-sized until they're mined down below 50.  It's intentional.
    Posted 12 years ago by Granny Weatherwax Subscriber! | Permalink
  • First this is very cool!  I love the expandable, build-able house.  It did ask for 10 boards to make a door but that's OK.  I have plenty.

1) I'm having a music bug where when I change the style of my yard, the music overlaps.  I have about three tracks at once going now.  Leaving my test house didn't fix it.  I had to reload.

2) I will be extremely upset if this goes live with all the firebog backgrounds as subscriber-only.  It's hard to communicate how upset.  The one thing I've really been looking forward to with the housing expansion is having a a big house with interesting options in the firebogs but I am a credits player.  The firebog house is available for credits; a firebog background needs to be as well.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can there be a midnight backeyard? I want one for my house.
    Posted 12 years ago by Goddess Girl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really like the new preview, but I have had some problems too. The whole thing has frozen on me a number of times, often in the middle of an expansion. Sometimes everything works but I am unable to harvest my plots. Usually fixes itself but takes a couple of reloads. I agree with Cricket that aesthetically some depth would look better both in the house and in the yard. I assume the reason I learned furniture making was for the purpose of making my own, since so far I haven't been able to use for anything. I really like the idea of being able to add an herb garden and some rocks for mining to my home. Keep up the good work!
    Posted 12 years ago by Princess Cassandra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Moving storage cabinets between house floors is not smooth.  You have to unload the cabinet before it can be added to your furniture inventory, which may or may not be possible depending on how many stacks you've hoarded.  Could there be "move up one floor" and "move down one floor" options in the cabinet menu in decorate mode, please?

Also a question.  Will there be different interior home styles?
    Posted 12 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Someday will we be able to lock doors to upper levels?" - maybe, although we have some other ideas for locked rooms

"Is there some way you can make it so you can drag a swath of wallpaper instead of individually clicking each square?" - you know you can fill a while wall at once, right?

"You mentioned street styles related to the moon or Uralia, and I can't seem to see them." - scroll down?

"I had herbs planted in my garden!  Now they're gone" - the old gardens, rocks and trees in your test house were removed - you'll have to grow new ones

"Whenever I change the style of my house, the music from the previous style overlaps with the new style." - known bug

"Finally after 3 expansions I had enough space to add Peat." - that seems like too much. i'll look into it

"the reason I learned furniture making was for the purpose of making my own" - furniture making will not be available until we do the final switchover to new houses, otherwise we'd have to take away everything you make when we reset housing (and that would make everyone mad)

"Will there be different interior home styles?" - yes
  • I love the new stuff ^_^ I really miss being able to put in a cabinet for some of my bags though.

While the storage boxes are totally awesome, everything can't be put in them and my test house is totally clustered after I moved everything (exept the animals) from my old house to see how it would fit...
    Posted 12 years ago by Tsuki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Tsuki: good job we're bringing back cabinets then... ;)
  • "Finally after 3 expansions I had enough space to add Peat." - that seems like too much. i'll look into it

There's an area of ground that gets added to the home street on the left side which is sloped. You can't put resources here so there may come a point during street expansion where you have to add 3 or so sections in a row without being able to place more resources. It makes for an elegant looking street but it's also rather wasteful of space and I think people might grumble when they're paying for those 3 unusable sections.
  • Okay, I’ve read all 14 pages of comments on this thread, and I don’t think this has been asked....

Are there any plans to allow glitchen to create one or more outbuildings in their backyards? I’m picturing maybe a workshop for machines, a wall for tools and garden implements, and other garage-y/shed-y type ideas.
    Posted 12 years ago by dm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for machine sheds/garden sheds/garages/workrooms.
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • what Snazzlefrazz said
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The new features are simply brilliant! Glitch continues to be something very special.

Just to put in my two cents re future directions:

Glitch is a game that features interdependent decision making, and that's what keeps it interesting for me. However, at present, the game seems a bit out of balance w.r.t. what a single player acting alone can do vs. what a group of players working together can do. Before the game leaves beta again, I'd like to see changes or additions that will allow players to work together to shape some part of the game world in ways that transcend what an individual player can accomplish. While I wouldn't want such shaping to be invulnerable, I think some degree of robustness would be beneficial.

I'd also like to see individual players have more ways to share their creativity and generosity with others, even when not online. Being able to customize one's house exterior is a good step in this direction, as is the new snapshot sharing. However, I read a strong desire for some small bit of the game world lying beyond one's front door that players can decorate in a more open-ended fashion for public viewing or use for sharing with others in a more controlled way.

Finally, I gotta tell you I love the attic! In my RL home the attic is where we put stuff we don't have any immediate use for and don't want to look at. I love having a place like this in my Glitch house. I think it would be humorous, though, if keeping the attic organized would be just as impossible in Glitch as it seems to be in RL.

EDIT:
    Forgot one thing: I think the game would have broader appeal if some things were harder to achieve. For example, I can get a trophy by painstakingly collecting all of a certain kind of music block, or I can get the trophy simply by having them handed to me. Perhaps future trophies could be made to work differently.
    Posted 12 years ago by Splendora Subscriber! | Permalink
    • Tsuki: good job we're bringing back cabinets then... ;) Posted 2 hr ago by Bees | Permalink
    +1 Yippee!
    Posted 12 years ago by GreyGoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't know if it was already asked but to put a street on the signpost in place of a friend, at least one to be our main entrance into Ur.

And a shed yes.

And as a decoration some kind of steam-punk lightning alimented laboratory-chirurgical equipment (with a window showing a stormy weather) and then i can invite Glitches to be "parts" of some experiment. (No I won't laught maniacally.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Ouaf Lechien Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Are there any plans to allow glitchen to create one or more outbuildings in their backyards" - in the future, yes

"I'd like to see changes or additions that will allow players to work together to shape some part of the game world" - yes!

"put a street on the signpost in place of a friend" - this is very unlikely. the houses are in imagination-space, not connected directly to Ur
  • This is AWESOME!!!

I do have one thing though: make it easier to place stuff in cultivation mode. Right now, I click on a spot, and the whole barnacle pod (or whatever it is I'm placing) slides over, beyond the limits of where it can go. I'd like to be able to click and drag the barnacle pod (or rock, or firefly hive, or garden) right where I want it to be, instead of clicking and clicking. 

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned or if what I'm saying is not clear. 
    Thank you for reading my post!
    Posted 12 years ago by janeey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Splendora: Forgot one thing: I think the game would have broader appeal if some things were harder to achieve. For example, I can get a trophy by painstakingly collecting all of a certain kind of music block, or I can get the trophy simply by having them handed to me. Perhaps future trophies could be made to work differently.

The different achievements & trophies for different things all work differently and it's inconsistent across the board. eg
     - the music block trophies just require you to have held each block once at some time
     - one of the other trophies (spice?) requires you to hold all items simultaneously
     - the Giant Lover achievement requires you to have made the items yourself
     - the Egg Hunter trophy consumes the items when it's awarded

I ache for the day when all the collecting trophies & achievements are consistent. And I agree with you - I'd much prefer them to go the way of the Giant Lover achievement & require the person to do the work themselves.

One gotcha though: in the early days of icons, higher level players would make icons for friends & pass them around. Then the Giant Lover achievement was announced & people were saying "errr... I've got 11 icons... but I haven't got the achievement. A friend gave me one of them, but I don't know which". Things could get similarly confusing if people were passing music blocks to their friends but you only got the trophies by getting one of each from the source yourself.
  • Snazzlefrazz: And a further wrinkle to those plans?  With something you find rather than make, it's hard to track how you got it.  For music boxes, there really is no practical difference between finding one lying on the street or being rewarded with one by either a tree or a friend.
    Posted 12 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bug or Feature?

Firefly hive in back yard only spawns new fireflies if I am in my house or back yard (happening intermittently).  Front yard hive spawns regardless of my presence.
    Posted 12 years ago by Soupie♨ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's wonderful!  You guys are doing a great job!

A few feedbacky-things:

--A music-token-like item to change the default background music would be splendiferous!  I adore the bog backyards but fell in love with the beautiful Lost Woods music, and it's actually making it very difficult to decide between them.

--As other people mentioned, depth for placing objects in yards would be great! 

--The "HOLD ON A SEC" when loading a cultivated object makes me giggle every time.

--Can we have housepets?  Aside from fish and livestock and cubimals, I mean--like little minipets that would just live in our houses.  Like cats, or crabs, or octopuses, or hamsters. :D

Thank you for all your hard work!

P.S. I think the firefly hives, jellisac mounds, and barnacle pods would look cooler if they were more attached to the ground.  Also if we could stack them closer together to kind of build the surrounding landscape, instead of just having a lot of plots, that would be ideal!
    Posted 12 years ago by Ring Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Are there plans on letting maybe friends place their house on my street ? So there would be two houses on street, a shared street. If this is not planned yet, I would like to come to the office and draw this idea on of your white-boards, thank you. ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by MonkeyPantz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "make it easier to place stuff in cultivation mode" - just use the arrow keys

"Firefly hive in back yard only spawns new fireflies if I am in my house or back yard (happening intermittently).  Front yard hive spawns regardless of my presence." - bug, i think
  • Thank You!!!!! Way more than I ever dreamed just amazing TYTYTY 
    Posted 12 years ago by Yarf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One small problem I noticed is with the lights that have a glow effect around them - it's especially noticeable with the fluorescent ceiling lamp because it has quite a large glow that reaches almost down to the floor.
    It seems the hit box for the item needs to be made just the size of the actual light, because it makes placing anything underneath it unclickable/unselectable.
    Hope that makes sense!
    Posted 12 years ago by Mathilda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 1. After the last release, I was able to place things on top of my storage boxes. If this was a bug that you fixed, I humbly request that you unfix it. :) 

2. I agree with Arcturus that things look odd on the Dark Woods background, but I was going to suggest lightening it a bit. I'm all for creepy gloom, but a solid black ground doesn't fit with anything in front of it (including glitches!).

3. I echo the request for Highlands music!

4. I also wish there were more flexibility in placing cultivated objects in the yard/street. I realize this might not be possible for technical reasons I wouldn't understand, but having things so evenly spaced does mess with the aesthetic you've so beautifully created!
    Posted 12 years ago by Dr.Maud, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Maud - I can put stuff on top of my storage boxes, this might be a bug on your end?
    Posted 12 years ago by Lettuce Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I didn't want to make a new thread for this question and I don't see it asked here. My big bags have shrunk when I set them down in my backyard. Are we having shrinkage to some items?

Example pics here and here.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "My big bags have shrunk" - we're doing some resizing of items to make things look better next to each other
  • The plot on my street has just hit 0% lifespan for the second time since the beginning of R2. Seems ... fast, especially compared to the barnacles that just wore out today and I harvest them all the time.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aleph Zero: yeah, that seems wrong. still some balancing to do
  • Wow awesome! Tysm for your answer Bees!! I really like the big bags smaller. So so so much better for space.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a little disappointed by how it seems swamp homes are going to become subscriber only features, considering they currently are not. I currently live in a swamp home, and I'll hate to see it go.

Having subscriber only features is understandable of course, but when it's something being taken away from nonsubscribers it's a little different.
    Posted 12 years ago by Masked One Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bees: " you know you can fill a while wall at once, right?"

I know that (can't speak for anyone else) but I don't necessarily want to change the WHOLE room. I used different wall coverings to create spaces in my house in lieu of walls, so I might want a stretch of 4 or 5 "panels" in one covering, but I don't want to change the whole wall. As it is now, I have to do one panel at a time. I suspect this is what the previous poster meant as well. It would be nice to have a repeat button or to be able to drag the covering to the number of panels that we want to change.
    Posted 12 years ago by Audaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bees you are doing an great job answering questions thank you.

Is there any chance we will have a spaceship house or even a phone booth aka a time machine? 
    We have an awesome set of spaceship items and interior furnishings and the toxic moon to land on but, well a house looks kinda daft....

A lighthouse home would be cool too, I'm sure TS has lots more house designs up their sleeves than what they have shown us so far!
    Posted 12 years ago by Teena Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Is there any chance we will have a spaceship house" - maybe?
  • That's cool and all.
    But my Glitch still needs a toilet.
    Posted 12 years ago by Volkov Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks Bees, I sure hope we do have spaceship. :)

Just had to look twice lol, all my DG4 and DG5 music blocks have blue on them instead of green.
    Posted 12 years ago by Teena Subscriber! | Permalink
  • No toilet for your Glitch!
    Posted 12 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have yet to poop, myself.
    Posted 12 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16