Topic

Staff Topic

R2: Preview of even more house features

It's that's time again - Release 2 of houses is upon us!

It will take a while to roll out the changes to everyone - you can leave your house and then type "/home" to be immediately migrated

To see the new features, reload your game client and visit your house (by typing "/home" in chat). The first thing you'll see is that there are no trees or rocks outside your house any more. But worry not - you can add some yourself with "cultivation". Click on the small sign next to your house to get a menu of options. Once you've mastered cultivation, you can try expanding your street and then changing your house exterior. You can also change the style of your home street. Sick of Groddle? Move to Uralia, Firebog or even THE MOON.

That's awesome, right? Wrong! There's more awesome stuff inside. Head to your backyard to switch styles, cultivate the land or expand your yard. Want to make your house interior bigger? Ok! When in decoration mode, click the buttons in the top bar to extend your house or add new floors.

There are a lot of moving parts in this release - we want to hear about bugs, what you like, what you don't like, areas we should expand on or improve and what you think we need to add. Go forth and test!

___
Questions? Please be sure to read this notes:

Note 1: All upgrades and expansions are free at the moment. This is only a test. There will be a housing reset before it is fully launched.

Note 2: If you missed preview release 1, read about it first!

Note 3: You can't move or delete gardens, rocks, etc., after placing them in cultivation mode. But, you will be able to do in the future.

Note 4: Are you missing some items? No, you are not. They are still there. In some cases, if things were placed near the edge of your yard or home street, you might have to expand a few times to reveal them.

Note 5: We are still testing and this is not the final release. There is more to come.

Note 6: Expansions to your land (yard or home street) happen one at a time. This may seem annoying/cumbersome/slow, but: you are testing as a higher level player when it is all free. If you were earning your way to a larger space over time, it would not seem thus because you wouldn't be doing them all at once.

Note 7: Can't find the upgrade (home-shaped) sign in by the back and front doors of your house. You probably have stuff on top of it. Pick that stuff up :)

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 Next
  • All the new menus have options for expanding, will there be options for shrinking your house/yard at some point?  For example, what if I decide against having a second floor after trying it out for a while?
    Posted 12 years ago by Varroa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't know if this has been mentioned but I'd appreciate a ''remove all decorations'' option. 
    It makes redecorating easier if all items go back to the bags even if all objects will fall on the floor. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Zira Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I want closets! I hate having all my stuff lying about the place.
    Posted 12 years ago by Enoreh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Enoreh,

Staff have said that we will be able to craft cabinets.
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Are there plans for lawn furniture?
    Posted 12 years ago by MarbhDamhsa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the incredible release...it really has been impressive thus far...looking forward to seeing the rest..

Question - when the housing is reset, will we be able to put as many of any resource in our yards, or are we limited to only one of each?  I'm asking, because at one point I might want a yard of all sparkly and then once it wears down, change it over to a yard of jellies...

Thanks for the incredible release! 
    Posted 12 years ago by Uniquely Prime Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry, have not read all 16 pages to see if this has come up but I would like to know if the Alakol music will be an option with one style of back garden.  All that Groddle twanging is driving me nuts.  I like mountains and pines but can't find that with the Highlands music which is so good to listen to in Alakol.
    Thanks.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jolycan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Some of this has been discussed previously & I am repeating it just to show I am glad it exists/will be coming.  I currently live in a bog house & like everything about the interior except the lack of storage. My "dream house" would have a similar interior (I believe that is what was meant by "themed") and since the garden plots, fireflies & mortar barnacles are being removed, the cellar full of storage display boxes (by far my favorite furniture item - and they look great with my herbs in them).  I like being able to put my egg plant & other items in my front yard so others can harvest them too and still be able to put garden plots where they remain private.   I am looking forward to filling up some empty picture frames, too.
    Posted 12 years ago by auntie skeptic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can't say as I am a fan of the SDB.  Seems it would be much better if we could store bags in them, or even more items (ie like kitchen gadgets, gardening tools, etc), not one item.  I miss the cabinet and from what I am reading we will be able to craft our own, thankfully.  I just think changing the SDB's up a bit would be quiet helpful for extra storage and cut down on my amount of bags (which would be super duper nice)
    Posted 12 years ago by Ewyn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for adding bookcases, even though they're just a flat (2-d) door right now.  A home without books is not.

edit: Any chance of a fireplace?
    Posted 12 years ago by Zauberberg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd love to be able to "upgrade" my front door so it matches the interior of the house.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kerlick Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Any chance we can put up signs like those in the public gardens? Just so we can remind Glitchen who use our street gardens to clean up after they harvest.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Mal'akh lol brilliant
    Posted 12 years ago by TheMonsterW/21Faces Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've seen some people ask about this, but I think it bears repeating--will we be able to change the music for our houses in the future?

Seriously, the Groddle Forest music is grating--I'd rather have the swamp music from Jethimadh or Shimla Mirch.
    Posted 12 years ago by Alice Spencer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The house music matches your background, so you can change that until you get some music you like.
    Posted 12 years ago by Shepherdmoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ewyn - that isn't the intention of the SDB.  The SDB was designed as a display cabinet.  Staff have already stated that we will be able to craft traditional cabinets for storing random crap and bags.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aurora Dellaterra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Where did you get the idea that the SDB is supposed to be a display cabinet? If that were the case, why would they have made them hold so much?
    Posted 12 years ago by Audaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Umm, Storage DISPLAY Box, maybe? Storage and display in equal parts.
    From Bees!:
    "Lastly, we've added a new kind of furniture we call Storage Display Boxes. They show up under 'cabinets' in your furniture bag. If you're already in your home, go back into the world and re-enter to get given some. SDBs allow you to show off the items you have, storing as many of that item as you like, without visitors being able to pinch them. They come in a bunch of fancy styles, so you can show off all your hard-won spoils."
    Posted 12 years ago by MaryLiLamb Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The storage display box serves two different purposes.  

1. It holds a lot of something - you can put your planks in it. 

2. It secures it's contents - you can put your funpickle in it and not have to worry about someone grabbing it.     :)
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • lol Audaria, you were being sarcastic, right? Right??
    Posted 12 years ago by Aurora Dellaterra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 771+ replies! o.O
    I guess this is really, REALLY great!
    Posted 12 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Cannot wait for REAL storage I have bags coming out of my wazoo..................on floors, in SDBs,on shelves, in attic, you name it. However I digress, a recommendation, I am currently in WEST SPICE and find the background very cheerful and colourful and recommend it be an option for background for our homes. Some of the current home choices are a bit too dark and ominous....lovely purples and blues but a tad too dark for me.
    What do you think? Thanks
    Posted 12 years ago by PEKES Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Schucks I was in FLIPSIDE not West Spice (wWest Spice nice but again too dark) it is the FLIPSIDE background I find lovely and highly recommend. Delicious shades of greens, pink,choral, yellow and blue. A true uplifting decor. So TS any chance of adding this different bright bacjdround to our options. Than k you
    Posted 12 years ago by PEKES Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Right now I am in Utopia in my new home - I have all resources I need right here ( barnacles, jellisacs, earth, loam  could do with more treees (have 2 max) have mining rocks and a garden - will I be able to afford f this once reset (level 35) ?  I sure hope it is feasible and doable and not only for those at level 60 with big bucks and tons of resources (sorry guys I know U worked really hard and for along time to get where you are) ................... I am trying to level up and learn everything (only unlearn left when fiber arts ends in few hours).  working very hard to maximize my possibilities but I am really concerned it will l be minimal,  disappointing and expensive and hard to attain! Anyone else feel as I do? TY
    Posted 12 years ago by Pekeaholic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • No, I don't feel the need to rush to 60 and be able to have everything right away.  I wouldn't even mind if we had to start at level 1 again with nothing after the major upgrade.  For me, the fun is all in the journey :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Rowan Croft Subscriber! | Permalink
  • While having everything handed to you at the higher levels at the switch might appeal to some, I'd rather see what it's going to be like to earn my stuff for my house/yard...whether through crafting, having to go out to get more imagination, etc. I think the point of the switch is even if you can't afford it right away, you can go in game, and earn more imagination to build out your yard...if that is what you want to do - or craft something if that is your favorite skill set.

I'm with you RC...though I know any mention of resets freak most of the players out.  It's why I'm still such a 'low' level...don't want to rush to 60, and that be the end...would rather enjoy things as I get to them and I'm so not into grinding like many of the higher levels have done...and I'd rather play my own game (ie, don't 'need' to get all the badges or do all the quests, etc. if I don't want to 'play' that aspect of the game.).  I'm more of a strategist than a completionist, I guess.  I'd rather have lots of options to get things done vice one obvious optimized route...so I can make it my own game - to me, right now, things are still a bit too linear (especially within skill sets - for example, once you learn how to make your signature dish (awesome stew/ix beef/etc), if you even need food, then you don't bother with the rest of the recipes unless there is a party or something...seems like a waste of all those other recipes...would like to have a good reason to make all of them outside of just badge accumulation), but hopefully in time that will change.  

I personally think it will be much more fun with the changes at the lower levels, and more boring at some of the higher levels. I'm already bored with aspects of the game at just level 25...can't imagine being 60, with nearly infinite energy, mood, etc...and not need food, etc.  To me the balancing of skills at the lower levels is more fun/interesting.  Wish it was as challenging as you got to the higher levels. Here's hoping the changes will implement some interesting quirks to the game.  And here's hoping that all those level 60's didn't miss out on too much fun by rushing to get there...
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Pink Flamingo~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Good points, Beach Bum. Especially the one about how you'd rather play your own game. Now if only you would apply that attitude to other players, who also want to play their own game - not your game.
    Posted 12 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • TS is trying to make as many gameplay decisions as possible... Possible. At least, that's what it looks like to me :P Putting in more places where players can make choices is always a plus, and I think the housing system is just one more step in that direction. 

And I hope my having been level 60 for months now won't hold me back at all ;) I think it might make a few things too easy, but I think TS can balance the math and whatnot so my 4.8 million exp converted into the equivalent amount of imagination won't be enough to buy me the whole world ;)

In that vein, any word on exactly how much exp 1000i is ;)? Inquiring minds would like to know.
    Posted 12 years ago by Liza Throttlebottom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I decided to make level 60 a goal, when I ran out of many other choices. It was fun for me to make that "mad dash" and do it on my own, when it was still possible (not knowing what will happen after "the change.") I'm not worried about missing out on anything, just as I assume others are not worried about missing out on reaching level 60.

I am playing less now that I am level 60, in anticipation of the changes. I really don't want to get any badges and "waste" the xp when it would earn me imagination after the change. But, considering that I was already feeling like there wasn't much to do, I think I would be playing less now anyway. In fact, I probably played more longer BECAUSE I was working toward 60.
    Posted 12 years ago by Audaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • in decorate mode its annoying not being able to move your view with the mouse
    Posted 12 years ago by The Dark One Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the firefly hills released during R2 prior to this Z-ween.  It has made lighting the carved pumpkins much easier...I remember at one point (think it was first Zween with pumpkins) not being able to find a decent firefly swarm in all of Chakra Phool because they had been ravaged so severely.  I don't know what they look like this Zween, but it was nice just to run from hill to hill in the imagination lawns to refill firefly jars, and find plenty of them and not have to go on a deep Ur safari after US hours to find a few.
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Pink Flamingo~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So when will this be out of beta?    If it seems I'm being rude I am sorry.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mills Nook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I prob missed this question if it was asked. If so please excuse me...Does anyone know what the yard scenes are going to be bought with? Like imagination or credits. And I wonder if when we buy a scene for the front yard will we automatically get it for tha back also or if we have to buy them twice. I just wondered as I have a feeling I will want quite alot of them when they are released lol :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Queen Zipporah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Queen Zipporah, no announcements have been made that would answer any of your questions.
  • Mills, there are still at least two more major testing phases.  No one has any idea when we will be out of beta again.
  • Thanks Windborn for answering, but woohoo my friend Lila had the info! :) TY Lila!
  • Queen Zipporah - re: yard styles, looks like imagination along w/some free? subscriber options as per Bees!' replies (Can't recall seeing any other info in this regard.)

"but will backgrounds end up costing anything? I know some are subscriber locked, but I don't see any prices." - they will cost imagination to switch  - ref

"backgrounds are purchasable using imagination rather than with credits, so I am a little confused as to why some backgrounds require a player to have subscription?" - it's an extra perk for subscribers, but none of them cost credits - ref
    Posted 12 years ago by Christine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is much better than getting a boring generic house.
    It is good we get to move and remove misplaced stuff.
    I think there needs be a coat rack.
    Posted 12 years ago by Catnip Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think the rocks should regenerate because they do everywhere but the yards.
    the rocks do regenerate
  • I still have my fingers crossed that the fruit and veggie house decor will show up in the upgrades.  I will so so miss my fruit and veggie meadow house when it's gone - especially since I've had it since the beta before this one.

But I also love the fish tank.  And the fish mobile.  And the expandable yard.

Fish tank AND corn rug would be perfection.  I like things eclectic.
    Posted 12 years ago by Ida Keen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Someone has asked this before, but I can't seem to find the answer:
    Is there an 'Undo-Option' planned?
    ~if we add an extra floor/extend our gardens, and then decide we no longer want the extra floor/garden, is there a way to undo/get rid of it?
    If yes, will we get the img and/or resources we spent on it, refunded?

My second question is:
    If we use imagination to buy something, say we  like the square windows and we buy them, but then a week later we change the windows to round ones to reflect a new style, will the square windows stay in our inventory to be used again at a later time, or will we have to buy them all over again?
    If they don't stay ours to use at any time, will we get the img/currants/credits refunded?
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think it would be good to test more than one of the same yard item at the same time.
  • Ida Keen - check out the new fruit and veggie furniture upgrades here.
    Plenty of eclectic things in the works!
    Posted 12 years ago by sugarQb Subscriber! | Permalink
  • sugarQb - that's why I'm not really buying anything at the moment... I know that you guys will be coming up with lots of awesome stuff that I will want ALL of
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well I will now stop shopping too, so i can have alot of credits for new stuff and hopefully new home styles woo!
1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 Next