Topic

Staff Topic

R2: Preview of even more house features

It's that's time again - Release 2 of houses is upon us!

It will take a while to roll out the changes to everyone - you can leave your house and then type "/home" to be immediately migrated

To see the new features, reload your game client and visit your house (by typing "/home" in chat). The first thing you'll see is that there are no trees or rocks outside your house any more. But worry not - you can add some yourself with "cultivation". Click on the small sign next to your house to get a menu of options. Once you've mastered cultivation, you can try expanding your street and then changing your house exterior. You can also change the style of your home street. Sick of Groddle? Move to Uralia, Firebog or even THE MOON.

That's awesome, right? Wrong! There's more awesome stuff inside. Head to your backyard to switch styles, cultivate the land or expand your yard. Want to make your house interior bigger? Ok! When in decoration mode, click the buttons in the top bar to extend your house or add new floors.

There are a lot of moving parts in this release - we want to hear about bugs, what you like, what you don't like, areas we should expand on or improve and what you think we need to add. Go forth and test!

___
Questions? Please be sure to read this notes:

Note 1: All upgrades and expansions are free at the moment. This is only a test. There will be a housing reset before it is fully launched.

Note 2: If you missed preview release 1, read about it first!

Note 3: You can't move or delete gardens, rocks, etc., after placing them in cultivation mode. But, you will be able to do in the future.

Note 4: Are you missing some items? No, you are not. They are still there. In some cases, if things were placed near the edge of your yard or home street, you might have to expand a few times to reveal them.

Note 5: We are still testing and this is not the final release. There is more to come.

Note 6: Expansions to your land (yard or home street) happen one at a time. This may seem annoying/cumbersome/slow, but: you are testing as a higher level player when it is all free. If you were earning your way to a larger space over time, it would not seem thus because you wouldn't be doing them all at once.

Note 7: Can't find the upgrade (home-shaped) sign in by the back and front doors of your house. You probably have stuff on top of it. Pick that stuff up :)

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
  • I haven't gone through 11 pages off comments, but I planted trees on my street, yard, and the streets of two friends and now they are gone. Will they come back?
    Posted 12 years ago by Josslyn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Josslyn - if you're talking about trees planted before the housing switch to release 2 yesterday, then yes they're gone. But you can add a tree patch to your new street and add a new tree (and many more things that you couldn't have on your street before)
    Posted 12 years ago by Snazzlefrazz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If you planted them post-update, did you remember to pet them each 3 times?  I believe they won't make it unless you do this.
    Posted 12 years ago by Genkicoll Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Could we get some basic information about resource lifespans?   Do they only go down?   Is or will there be a way to recharge them?
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • WalruZ - when a resource becomes exhausted you'll have a 'small project' to reactivate it & reset it back to 100%. You'll also have the option to remove the resource.
  • Fireflies! Fireflies in my house! In my yard! Everywhere! I love it! xD

Seriously, in between what we do have now, and what still seems to be coming, this is awesome! *runs off to play some more*
    Posted 12 years ago by Lilleh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just wanted to add my $0.02 CAD about resource placement in yards/streets:

I agree with those who think they look to "cut and paste-y" right now.  The spacing limitations are too uniform - I'd like to have a forest of overlapping trees, like in Ix, and It doesn't look like that'd be possible right now.  Is the extra empty space included around recourse items necessary for some reason?

Other than that, I'm loving all the new features! 

ETA - I'd also love if my firefly swarm could fly a little higher over their hive! Like sparkly little stars :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Aurora Dellaterra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Now that we know that we will need girders to expand our house and possibly other stuff, why don't you allow us to buy or craft the new hardware (such as Metal Machines)?
    Posted 12 years ago by Ygasuasu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The biggest drawback so far is that I'm working from home today, and it's taking all of my strength to stay out of game until evening.  My oh my do I lobe the new stuffage!

I cannot adequately describe how much I adore the firefly hives.  Having those and herbs in a Groddle-style house... I may be squeeing a little.  Okay, a lot.  I'm having an absolute blast with the interior.  I even have space for my icons in the new house now.  Swoon.

Problems thus far...  pretty much the Greatest Hits.  Moving the former attic stuff out of my new second floor was a pain (but manageable).  I didn't find the placement of resources very intuitive, but now I know to use the arrow keys in the future.  Like just about everyone else, I had to redo my walls bunches and bunches of times because of accidentally redoing the whole floor.  And oh my oh my do I want a cabinet or three in my new house.

BUT, the coolness far outweighs the roadbumps.  (And finding the bumps is a big part of the reason we're here.)  I'm seriously impressed that such a huge collection of changes is going so well.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Georgia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • hi there! dont know if i'm the only one that this is happening to, but i had a pig stick (placed on my home street) with piggies (of course!) a couple of meat collectors and a piggy feeder.
    I logged in about 3-4 hours ago to collect my meat and everything was swell.
    I just logged in and for some reason, my piggy feeders and meat collectors are gone!
    they're also gone on my friend's street as well!
    Is this a bug that you guys are aware of??
    anyone else having this problem?
    or am i the only one obsessed with making as many currants as possible? lol
    Posted 12 years ago by Izabella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Izabella, expand your street and you will find the missing items.
    Posted 12 years ago by Millie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Izabella - front yards are public, just like normal streets. So, with a few exceptions (*), items placed there can be picked up by people passing through. I suspect your feeders & collectors might have been pinched by a less-than-honourable passing player. (Unless, as Millie suggests, they might be hiding off the edge of your street - that's a possibility if you placed them there before you were switched to Housing Release 2, or if you placed them at the outer edges of your street and your street has now shrunk down in size)

You're best off placing things like that in your back yard where people can't get to them unless you let them into your home.

(*) Icons & gnomes spring to mind.
  • LOVE pretty much everything in this update, as everyone has been saying :)

However -- I didn't realize that we only get one patch for the front yard this time around, so I put it WAY off to one side (thinking I would be adding more) -- now I can't move it or change it and it looks kind of lame... will we be able to move and change these at some point?  I'm also a bit afraid my piggies won't eat it and will die :(

Also, I think others have mentioned -- it's really annoying that everything falls through the floor from second to first story if you're not very, very careful how you place things when decorating!  I've already gotten really irritated by this -- but am assuming it's a bug that will get fixed.

On a separate note -- I had a bunch of herbs planted and lost them all when this update happened.  Not a huge deal, but I'm afraid to plant anything without knowing when the next update will come!  I can't get on here all the time, and don't want to lose any more herbs.  Thoughts?

Thanks, Stoot and TS -- this is really lovely stuff.  It's definitely rejuvenating my excitement about the game!
    Posted 12 years ago by Clarabelle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will we be able to hang our snapshots on the next update?
    Posted 12 years ago by MarbhDamhsa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "why don't you allow us to buy or craft the new hardware (such as Metal Machines)?" - because they're not quite ready!

"Will we be able to hang our snapshots on the next update?" - probably not the next release, but at some point
  • @Millie: my street is fully expanded already! lol nothing found out there!
    My feeders and collectors were never moved and they stayed with the release.

@Snazzle Frazz: i didn't know they were public! and it didn't even occur to me that those items could be potentially stolen!! ugh!!!

TS, is there any way to add some sort of way to secure items placed on our streets like you do with the Piggy sticks??
    It's hard to admit that we have people that gank our stuff!
    Posted 12 years ago by Izabella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Not sure if I should put this here or in the Ideas forum, but I would very much like it if the tongue on the frog house were removable. I like that house, just not that weirdo tongue! :) 
    Posted 12 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Second the requests to be able to jump from second floor down to back yard.  Loved it in my Alakol house, loved it in my Groddle tree house, want it here too, please.
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd also love to be able to put in ladders, like in the tree houses and bog houses. And cave places.
  • @ Clarabelle: I lost some still-growing flowers, too. But with the cultivation of HUGE plots as there are now, I think I can get them back pretty quick.
    I love, I love, I love-love-love-love the Dark Vista and its music! This is looking so good!

Just count me among those that hope for things to climb and jump from in the final release, please, pretty please.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dommy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just checked my ceiling swatch options again and the one that used to say "Grey Stucco Ceiling" now says "White Stucco Ceiling" (even though it's not white at all and is in fact very grey). I swear I wasn't imagining it, though. I even have screenshotty proof. Should this go to court, I mean.
    Posted 12 years ago by Agoraphobe Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll second being able to flip the cultivating items.  Some things should be able to face the other direction, but still maintain their perspective. 

Also would like to throw my hat into the ring for balconies, windows, second floor doors to the front (for the bog homes), or to the back for other options, etc.  Also for the return of the cabinets and the old counters which were a bit smaller (love that stainless steel one).

I have to say, when I initially started trying out R2, I only played with the features of the whimsical house which are nice, but not overly impressive (a few different roof lines, a few different colors, a different style or two, but not a huge change to the overall feel design of that house...which is already pretty adorably cool)...however, as I played with the groddle home and hobbit home options - WOW...these are really fantastic!  And I appreciate the diversity on the 'free' homes for those that like to be creative, but can't afford those subscriptions.  It really started to build my confidence in the game again...and I'm so looking forward to the full release!

Also thanks for the labels on the swatches!  That really helps when choosing.  And thanks for the late addition of the starry ceiling!  That's cool too...

I keep finding cool new things...so that's a good thing...
    Posted 12 years ago by b3achy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Flipping and moving the plots and beds closer. I'd vote for that.
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Are we going to be able to have a gap in the floor between levels? So that one might conceivably fall through a hole from the second story into the first story? I've got levitation plans and this is really really important!
    Posted 12 years ago by Moehr Ossum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I call for a hole in the upper floors and a fireman's pole!
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Growing crops really is less fun when the plots are so tiny.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If I select the entire garden and just use arrow keys to go from plot to plot, it's no harder than it ever was. If you are still trying to select individual plots one by one, give this method a try.  Much faster,much easier to get to exactly the crop you're trying to harvest, and the size of the plot is immaterial.  
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, dear...if there are fireman's poles, some will be dancing on them...I mean they already do on the subway...sigh...*cough* DR *cough* ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by b3achy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It would be great if when in your house and expanding, when you expand you don’t leave decorate mode. Please note I don’t have a problem with having to expand over and over again, I understand this is just testing so once its “live” expanding will be harder to do… What I am saying though is that you expand your floor you probably then want to add in more furniture or move stuff around. It’s just a slight irritant that you expand and then have to go back into decorate mode.Also I saw someone mention winter themed things and I SECOND THAT!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Viresse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Now b3achy, what other glitches do or don't dance on in the privacy of their own homes is their business...
    Posted 12 years ago by Magic Monkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • www.glitch.com/snaps/PIF3P1...

SO AWESOME
    Posted 12 years ago by drakodood Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry, I haven't read all of the comments either so I apologize if I am repeating something that has already been said, but I noticed that the far right hand side of my old street appears to have been cut off. My blockmaker is now at the very far end of the street and the things that were to the right of it are no longer present (piggy feeders, pig stick, and pigs (unless they died and the meat was eaten by my remaining pigs). I assume that because the pig stick is not there either that the resources couldn't have been removed by anyone else.
    Posted 12 years ago by acadaca Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry, I haven't read all of the comments either so I apologize if I am repeating something that has already been said, but I noticed that the far right hand side of my old street appears to have been cut off. My blockmaker is now at the very far end of the street and the things that were to the right of it are no longer present (piggy feeders, pig stick, and pigs (unless they died and the meat was eaten by my remaining pigs). I assume that because the pig stick is not there either that the resources couldn't have been removed by anyone else.
    Posted 12 years ago by acadaca Subscriber! | Permalink
  • acadaca, it sounds as if you'll need to expand the right side of your street to find the missing items. I don't think animal sticks are removable by anyone other than you....
  • Are there more house styles to come? I like the mien evoke house style a lot but that's the only style that looks small and has less customization options. So I wish there would be more house styles that are less " over the top " :)
    Posted 12 years ago by MonkeyPantz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I believe they said somewhere in here that more house styles/street styles/everything are to come. I'm sure they've only given us a tiny taste of the designs we'll be able to use when it goes live.

And acadaca, in the OP, this line probably applies to your situation:
    Note 4: Are you missing some items? No, you are not. They are still there. In some cases, if things were placed near the edge of your yard or home street, you might have to expand a few times to reveal them.
    Posted 12 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh no! I didn't realize the front yards were accessible by the public! I just went and planted a whole bunch of herbs out front. :( Gah!

Generally this is so much fun to tinker around with (have to keep reminding myself not to get too attached to everything, as not all of these changes are going to stick once everything is finalized). Looking forward to being able to move cultivated items around. A suggestion though - make it easier to place cultivated items precisely, like you can inside the house. And an upgrade button for the crop/herb gardens would be great (I placed small ones in my back yard and it's driving me CRAZY not being able to up-size them, especially now that I know people can go to town on my front yard crops).
    Posted 12 years ago by Lady Laughsalot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love love the update.  I was seeing the front door of my "new house" when I approached, now I don't if there's a butterfly in front it, I just get a choice of the butterfly or a blank space (and assumed correctly that it was my front door).  
    Posted 12 years ago by Tooth Fairy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "I've got levitation plans and this is really really important!" - hehehe

"I call for a hole in the upper floors and a fireman's pole!" - that'd be awesome

"Growing crops really is less fun when the plots are so tiny." - sit closer to your screen to increase fun

"It would be great if when in your house and expanding, when you expand you don’t leave decorate mode." - good idea!

drakodood: i love it!
  • Lady, front yards are public but herb and crop plots appear to be locked entirely to the owner. I've been a wonder through a few front yards and I've not been able to pick anything.
    Posted 12 years ago by jiva Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Drakodood, I love it, too!  It makes me think of a castle, which brings to mind a new design new houses could possibly have... lol~

What you've got to love about Glitch is the endless possibilities. heh :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Genkimama Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Changing the look of the things we can cultivate (dirt piles and peat aside) would be neat, so that they would match the over all scheme, for example having different shades of wood or possibly metal or brick options for the "border" around the herb and crop gardens.
    Posted 12 years ago by Viresse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Whew! Thanks, Jiva! :D
  • I got some help in my front yard to test out machines there -- thanks, Daffy Lurksalot! Passersby can use machines in your yard and get what they make for themselves, so machines are not like crop garden plots but like front-yard trees.
    Posted 12 years ago by Vocable Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I heard that locked plots on front streets was a bug. Just what I heard. Confirmation please?
    Posted 12 years ago by Fernstream Subscriber! | Permalink
  • These new streets, backyards and houses are awesome, thanks! I especially love that now I can wonder through the streets and each one is different, with different background and different music. 

And I would certainly extend my subscription because I just love your work.:)
    Posted 12 years ago by nekomaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fernstream - a am fairly certain a dev said that it is not a bug, but by design that your crops are yours not to be picked by random passer-bys.

oops - the froont yard should be public:

www.glitch.com/forum/genera...
    Posted 12 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "I heard that locked plots on front streets was a bug." - sort of! we've not decided quite how we want home streets to work
  • Bees, right now there is no point on giving a key to someone really.

I shared everything with my friend who has a key,  now he can not even help me gardening, help me decorating my house, he is basically a stranger in the front yard and part of inside. can't we make the keys so that whoever gets a key has the same rights as the owner? or maybe adjust the settings ? Full access , medium access etc.
    Posted 12 years ago by Tylerr Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Re: front yard plots - it would be fabulous if home owners could decide whether they wanted a public or private plot. If they wanted a public plot, they could choose the setting and a little 'All may plant, all may harvest' sign would pop up alongside the plot. No sign would then indicate a private plot.
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16