Topic

Staff Topic

R2: Preview of even more house features

It's that's time again - Release 2 of houses is upon us!

It will take a while to roll out the changes to everyone - you can leave your house and then type "/home" to be immediately migrated

To see the new features, reload your game client and visit your house (by typing "/home" in chat). The first thing you'll see is that there are no trees or rocks outside your house any more. But worry not - you can add some yourself with "cultivation". Click on the small sign next to your house to get a menu of options. Once you've mastered cultivation, you can try expanding your street and then changing your house exterior. You can also change the style of your home street. Sick of Groddle? Move to Uralia, Firebog or even THE MOON.

That's awesome, right? Wrong! There's more awesome stuff inside. Head to your backyard to switch styles, cultivate the land or expand your yard. Want to make your house interior bigger? Ok! When in decoration mode, click the buttons in the top bar to extend your house or add new floors.

There are a lot of moving parts in this release - we want to hear about bugs, what you like, what you don't like, areas we should expand on or improve and what you think we need to add. Go forth and test!

___
Questions? Please be sure to read this notes:

Note 1: All upgrades and expansions are free at the moment. This is only a test. There will be a housing reset before it is fully launched.

Note 2: If you missed preview release 1, read about it first!

Note 3: You can't move or delete gardens, rocks, etc., after placing them in cultivation mode. But, you will be able to do in the future.

Note 4: Are you missing some items? No, you are not. They are still there. In some cases, if things were placed near the edge of your yard or home street, you might have to expand a few times to reveal them.

Note 5: We are still testing and this is not the final release. There is more to come.

Note 6: Expansions to your land (yard or home street) happen one at a time. This may seem annoying/cumbersome/slow, but: you are testing as a higher level player when it is all free. If you were earning your way to a larger space over time, it would not seem thus because you wouldn't be doing them all at once.

Note 7: Can't find the upgrade (home-shaped) sign in by the back and front doors of your house. You probably have stuff on top of it. Pick that stuff up :)

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16
  • I placed some plots in the front/back yard experimentally/accidentally and now I'm stuck with them and have to - 'wait for it to wear out'? that's kinda annoying and crappy or are clunky and obstructive UI wind ups to be expected for a while?
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Punny Many Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Kerlick, that is not likely to change. Same as with doors, you have to go into decorate mode to upgrade them if they have something in them."

@eric that's wonderful, I hadn't discovered that! Thank you.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kerlick Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Pascale, we had that conversation amongst staff, and more people said "I like them as separate garden types!" than said "I think we should have a single garden type!". So we have separate garden types :)
    Posted 12 years ago by eric Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Pascale, changing the plots to both herb and vegetable would screw up how the community gardens are organized. That is the only motivation I see to keeping it this way, beyond just making it more challenging for players deciding what to install in their homes (remember these things will cost stuff in the future, even though they are free now).

EDIT: staff response as I was typing this. There you go!
    Posted 12 years ago by Shepherdmoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lettuce, stuff in houses, including stuff in SDBs and shelves, will go into moving boxes when housing resets.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fnibbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Miss Punny Man, there will be a way to remove cultivated items from your yard, but it is not ready yet.

Also, clunky and obstructive UI wind ups are our bread and butter, so get used to it!
  • "what is the rationale for separating vegetable crops and herb patches?" - they require different soil!
  • "or are clunky and obstructive UI wind ups to be expected for a while?" - this is a test. for reals
  • Why do some secret bookcase doors have a gap in the bottom shelf and others don't?

Comparison:

www.glitch.com/snaps/PHF7GO...

www.glitch.com/snaps/PHFEQQ...

Just curious! 
    Posted 12 years ago by Sirentist Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One other comment on the shrinkage of garden plots: it really diminishes my enjoyment of the detailed artwork.

@eric Well, I can see why staff might like 'em separate. Me, I'd like to mix'n'match.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • " Why do some secret bookcase doors have a gap in the bottom shelf and others don't? " - up vs down
  • I'm glad to see there will be a way to remove items.  I cheerfully put something in a very stupid place!  

I am. . . frankly disappointed and sad that it pretty much looks like having your house anywhere but in the forest is going to cost real money, if the tags on things are accurate.  (although in the BACK yard, there is one 'free' swamp option, but not in the front -- is this an oversight, or an in progress thing?).

And one thing is driving me crazy.  PLEASE for the love of Mab put the doors back on the keyboard select option.  Needing to switch to the mouse makes things difficult for me.

Other than that, really really excited.   Still looking forward to proper cabinets, but thank you so much for more SDBs!

(oh, one suggestion -- when I added a floor to my house (THANK YOU) everything in the attic ended up in it.  Things in the attic should stay in the attic, please?  I put stuff there I specifically don't want getting yanked into SDBs, and for organization.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Teamouse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sirentist, that should be because the one without all the books in it still has a job you need to complete to make it a working door; when the job is complete, then the door would have all the books. Of course there could also be a bug.
  • A suggestion for the future, maybe: It'd be nice to be able to hold ctrl or shift or something and do a couple of panels of wallpaper at a time (as opposed to only one single one or all of the wall). Or even if the paper you picked out would stick around as you did single segments would be nice. It's really tedious papering one segment, then having to choose the paper again and do the next.

Another suggestion (though I feel like it may be moot in the future from things I've read): I'd love it if the Lost Woods music played for the Bewitched Backwoods and its matching front yard (rather than Groddle music). I think that's my favorite out of the music I heard for the different backdrops!

At any rate, I had too much fun tonight with this, and I'm loathe to go to bed in an hour, even though my eyeballs are saying, "Sleep now!". :)  I can't wait to see where everything goes from here.
    Posted 12 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Teamouse: "And one thing is driving me crazy.  PLEASE for the love of Mab put the doors back on the keyboard select option"... What problem are you describing exactly? sounds like a bug.
  • Rooms with a view:  One of the things most egregiously still absent from the R2 housing schemes are views.  During my brief stay in Alacol, I loved the balconies.  I always buy the house types in Groddle that have windows to the outside.  I love having a view of the mountains and trees.  I know I have a yard, but the inside still feels too claustrophobic.  At the least, can the wall decoration upgrades include a couple of windows with outside views?
    Posted 12 years ago by KhaKhonsu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hm. Both my up and down doors look identical. I'll ask Pascale if she's experiencing any weirdness with her incomplete door. Thanks!
  • I have a question - I was growing some stuff in my plots, and now that they've disappeared, what can I do about it? Was kinda hoping to at least get the results, since they were herbs... :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Crayon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sirentist, the only difference between bookshelf up and down doors should be the arrow on the leaning red book on the left side of the second shelf from the top. (Bees was wrong! Take note, for this is a special day.)
  • @eric My door is the one with the "gap" at the bottom. Functionally it works just fine.

If I go to change the style, the bookcase shown has all its books.

I suspect this happened because when I was working on the door project, I only had ONE plank available. I had to leave the /home to pick up the rest and then complete the job.

I like my gap=toothed bookcase. I hope I can keep it!
  • Is it just me, or are crops growing faster too?

Or is that time is flying because I'm having so much fun…
  • Well now I have gap-toothed bookcase-door envy.
  • Pascale, yeah, sounds like a bug! I can make no guarantee about you keeping your door as is, but I won't try to change it!
  • @staff!eric - I think it might have been me not being fully rolled out?  When I started playing tonight, doors for houses were not appearing when I hit enter.  The gnome and the chicken, sure, but not the door.  I had to click on it manually.

However, 5 minutes after I posted...poof!  Back to normal!  *headdesk*
    Posted 12 years ago by Teamouse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • BUG FIXED!!!!
  • "Is it just me, or are crops growing faster too?" - we've seen this a few times today - it's a bug
  • I apologize if this has been covered 4 times already, this thread is way too large to read all of it...

Am I missing the magical technique that allows you to move or remove a placed feature?
    (For example, I'm not super fond of where my Metal Rock is and would like to place it again or move it.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Nerd of Epic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have a question.  Will there be any way to make interior walls so we can have actual rooms?
    Posted 12 years ago by Cherry Cat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Moving and removing resources is not possible atm. This will be possible in the future.
    Posted 12 years ago by Millie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nerd of Epic, the ability to move cultivated items and ability to remove them altogether are coming. The latter before the former.
  • @Millie and  @eric  -- Thanks a bunch for the info.  Guess I'll just be stuck with my poorly placed rock for a while.  :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Nerd of Epic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Interior walls are coming too.
  • Thank you all for being up so late and being so responsive to all of us!  This is an exciting day and I'm glad you had some time this weekend to rest up.  

Now have another Bugsbury egg and another cup of coffee.
    Posted 12 years ago by Forcythia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It probably doesn't really matter that it's possible to reliably replicate the gap-toothed door, right?
  • idea: be able to save house combinations, like you can save outfits. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Lettuce Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sirentist, do tell! Please!
  • Do tell, like, file a bug report? Or do tell like explain it step by step here so everyone else can reliably replicate the cool door too?
  • I guess a bug would be best. Mention I asked you to assign it to me, plz! Thanks.
  • Damn, there go my fifteen seconds of fame. Okay bug report it is.

*stomps off*
  • Quit breaking things, Sirentist!
    Posted 12 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • She was SWORN TO SECRECY! :D
  • That is so not true! Pascale's just trying to make me look bad because she can't believe she had the cool gappy bookcase in her house for HOURS and didn't even notice until I asked her about it.  Hmph.

*scowls*
  • @teamouse, It's stated earlier in the thread that backgrounds will cost imagination, not credits.
    www.glitch.com/forum/genera...
    So no RL money used :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyn Frog, Esq Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wish I had something constructive to say, but I don't. With this phase of the testing, I am a very happy camper!
    Posted 12 years ago by Mollie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lily Frog, Esq, it is true that the main cost of yard style changes will be imagination, but some style will be subscriber locked. There will be plenty of great ones that will not require a subscription, but we do have to find ways to reward people that help us pay the bills!
  • Utterly gobstruck :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Princess Fi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh for sure, but I was under the impression Teacake thought ALL styles will require a sub/credits/money. I may have misread the post!
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyn Frog, Esq Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wait, there are backgrounds that carry wintry music with them?   WHICH ONES?  tia.
    Posted 12 years ago by oscarette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was also looking to remove something to try something different.  eric thanks for answering that for me.
    Posted 12 years ago by nnvpears Subscriber! | Permalink
  • idea: furniture should be able to snap/align to a grid and/or to surrounding objects (think illustrator/inkscape). right now my shelves & sdbs look a little raggedy on the walls. especially since I nudge them out of alignment a lot when I mean to just grab something.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lettuce Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16