Topic

Staff Topic

R2: Preview of even more house features

It's that's time again - Release 2 of houses is upon us!

It will take a while to roll out the changes to everyone - you can leave your house and then type "/home" to be immediately migrated

To see the new features, reload your game client and visit your house (by typing "/home" in chat). The first thing you'll see is that there are no trees or rocks outside your house any more. But worry not - you can add some yourself with "cultivation". Click on the small sign next to your house to get a menu of options. Once you've mastered cultivation, you can try expanding your street and then changing your house exterior. You can also change the style of your home street. Sick of Groddle? Move to Uralia, Firebog or even THE MOON.

That's awesome, right? Wrong! There's more awesome stuff inside. Head to your backyard to switch styles, cultivate the land or expand your yard. Want to make your house interior bigger? Ok! When in decoration mode, click the buttons in the top bar to extend your house or add new floors.

There are a lot of moving parts in this release - we want to hear about bugs, what you like, what you don't like, areas we should expand on or improve and what you think we need to add. Go forth and test!

___
Questions? Please be sure to read this notes:

Note 1: All upgrades and expansions are free at the moment. This is only a test. There will be a housing reset before it is fully launched.

Note 2: If you missed preview release 1, read about it first!

Note 3: You can't move or delete gardens, rocks, etc., after placing them in cultivation mode. But, you will be able to do in the future.

Note 4: Are you missing some items? No, you are not. They are still there. In some cases, if things were placed near the edge of your yard or home street, you might have to expand a few times to reveal them.

Note 5: We are still testing and this is not the final release. There is more to come.

Note 6: Expansions to your land (yard or home street) happen one at a time. This may seem annoying/cumbersome/slow, but: you are testing as a higher level player when it is all free. If you were earning your way to a larger space over time, it would not seem thus because you wouldn't be doing them all at once.

Note 7: Can't find the upgrade (home-shaped) sign in by the back and front doors of your house. You probably have stuff on top of it. Pick that stuff up :)

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 16
  • Bees! wrote: "Where did the rest of the counter styles go? Will they return?" - yes! probably!

Please return my blue tile top counter soon. :D I have tons of Tasty Pasta ready to serve up to the first one to return my spaghetti kitchen. ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by Breaking Dawn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • After getting sixteen out of eighteen wall sections satisfactorily arranged to represent different "rooms," I accidentally wallpapered the entire upper floor when trying to place section seventeen. 

My kingdom for a "back" button or "undo" option when wallpapering!
    Posted 12 years ago by Sirentist Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Help....some of my things are missing from the backyard and no one has a key, so it is not a "friend" theft. They were on the edge of my herb garden. A few bags and a Butterfly milker. :( 
    Posted 12 years ago by Lunarsolar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "I accidentally wallpapered the entire upper floor when trying to place section seventeen." - oops!

"backgrounds are purchasable using imagination rather than with credits, so I am a little confused as to why some backgrounds require a player to have subscription?" - it's an extra perk for subscribers, but none of them cost credits
  • Lunarsolar: expand your back yard and they'll be there
  • So much to love about this update.  Barring an essay, it's all so imaginative and well thought out <3  Thank you, Tiny Speck!  (And might be my lack of sleep, but don't recall hearing wintry music at our homes before? -  adore the remix.)

I'm sure there's more to come, however, if we could adjust the lighting in our homes (separate to the lighting via our backyards e.g., bewitched backwoods ) in the future that would be awesome.  (Edited to add: my apologies, I see others have suggested similar here and here)
    Posted 12 years ago by Christine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I also frequently wallpapered the entire level when I meant to do a section. This interface for this is too fiddly and desperately needs an "undo."
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Are we going to be able to name our streets?
  • I've been too busy playing to read here yet, its way awesome thankyou!! But I had assumed it would be like decorate mode and I wouldnt lose energy?? Just got a nasty shock when I finalized exterior of house and saw my mood/energy levels!
    Posted 12 years ago by Teena Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OMG I just repapered the entire freaking wall for the third time in a row. I swear I'm trying to go slow and be careful. Why does this keep happening?

Edited to add: 

It seems like sometimes it's highlighting both a single section and the entire wall. (Meaning, you can see the highlight going all the way around the room even as it's also highlighting the individual section.) Maybe sometimes it's doing that but it's just not showing me the highlight of the whole wall? I'm not giving up though. This wall is not going to get the better of me. I'm smarter than a wall, dammit. I am.
  • Huzzah! Thank you, Bees! :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Lunarsolar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • this is all sorts of amazing!
    Posted 12 years ago by rach.the.emobear Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A couple of bugs: When there are multiple things in front of my door house, there is no tiny door icon, just the label about it being the door to my house. (I get a picture of the chicken and chicken stick I could also hit, but not the door.)

I don't know quite how I did this one, and I tried to replicate it, but haven't succeeded so far. I think it had to do with putting the second story on my house and jumping into either decorate or cultivate mode, but somehow, the game lost focus on my glitch. I could not use the camera and I could only see the air above where I was no matter the screen (in house, Ur, or whereever) See: http://www.glitch.com/snaps/PUV6VHS8HKG29AG/1509-d0d5ffda5b/

Exiting and re-entering Ur solved it. Minor bug, will try to replicate.
    Posted 12 years ago by LokiPDX Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "And might be my lack of sleep, but don't recall hearing wintry music at our homes before?" - it's new. only for some street styles right now

"This interface for this is too fiddly and desperately needs an "undo."" - yeah

"Are we going to be able to name our streets?" - in the future
  • P.S. From what I can tell, the simultaneous selection of single and all wall panels only seems to happen on the second floor.
  • Odd SBD behavior: When I deposit metal ingots, it doesn't ask if I want ALL the ingots deposited.
  • "it's new. only for some street styles right now"

Thank you for the clarification, Bees!. Hope it's here to stay <3  *feels sorry for the other streets*
    Posted 12 years ago by Christine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The smaller crop plots are kinda hard on my aging eyes. Any hope we'll be able to zoom in again one day?
  • Dear TS Staff,

Thank you for the new toys to play with. I look forward to playing with them, and to earning upgrades etc in the future. Thank you for being awesome and I'm sorry there's so many grumps.
    Love,
    Lily Frog, Esq

PS. I have a sloth bed. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyn Frog, Esq Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd like orange rims on the rectangular windows for the House of Whimsy, please!
  • Resource respawn on home streets and back yards is amazingly fast!
  • Two things. 

1) I know it's been alluded to, but I'll say it straight up - I wish when I added a second (or any other) floor, the stuff in my attic migrated up to my new attic, rather than suddenly being strewn about. 

2) I wish there was a clear all button that would automatically move all the furniture in my house back to the inventory.
    Posted 12 years ago by GirlWhatSqueaks Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just piping up to request, one more time, that we be able to go directly INTO our homes, rather than landing on our street first.
  • Do you guys want bugs here or in the bugs forum?

Another minor one: I filled my firefly jar from the inside my house firefly mound. The firefly jar graphic became larger than the other jars, the icon being taller than the white surround box. Picking up the jar and moving it to a different spot repaired its size. Was a 7/7 fireflies. Tried to replicate using firefly mound 3/7 in front of the house and it didn't replicate.
    Windows 7, Chrome browser.
    Edit: It did repeat once, but only from backyard fireflies... and then the next time it left the jar too small. I feel like Alice... 
  • Loving this release!!!  So many choices and it was VERY fun to play!  

One of the things I would like to see is an undo button, so if you expand your house, and it's too big, it could be undone.  Or if you wanted to remove a plot etc.  That's really the only change I can think of right now.  

The decorating and cultivating went well for me and I love all the new goodies we have!  Thanks TS for an outstanding update!!
    Posted 12 years ago by kat65 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Following someone into her expanded new house, she became invisible, not so on street.
  • So, for whatever it's worth, everything on all of your floors can be manipulated regardless of where you are.   For example I added a floor and dropped some stuff up there.  If I go back downstairs and zoom out I can pick up objects on the 2nd floor and place objects up there.  This is probably by design, but I can see where it would be nice to restrict access to objects that are on the floor you are on.  Of course to be truly useful you would need locking doors as well.  This would allow you to have floors that guests could not access or interfere with.  More like an idea really. 

So far so good. 
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, and I don't see an 50K alkol-type spread or anything even remotely like it.   Sad panda. 
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "When I deposit metal ingots, it doesn't ask if I want ALL the ingots deposited." - we'll investigate!

"I'd like orange rims on the rectangular windows for the House of Whimsy, please!" - we'll see!

"I wish when I added a second (or any other) floor, the stuff in my attic migrated up to my new attic, rather than suddenly being strewn about." - only single storey houses have a real attic right now. it's tiny on taller houses

"I wish there was a clear all button that would automatically move all the furniture in my house back to the inventory." - interesting idea
  • There seem to be some issues, at least with the "frog" house, with the way animals move on the street: they can't get past the house entrance, the tongue, if they are on the entrance side -- instead, they just go up the tongue and get stuck there.  

At first I thought it was a problem with the pig stick, but I'm pretty convinced that's doing what it's supposed to and it's just the tongue.  I could be wrong though.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @WalruZ... you can still drag them to the top "attic" space and get them out of reach... so you have 3 floors now...

One more weird size bug. Came in to old apartment: the garden had "shrunk" graphically:
    http://www.glitch.com/snaps/PUV6VHS8HKG29AG/1536-8019099c09/
    Reloaded, no change. Replanted garden no change. Checked another apartment. No change. Win 7, Chrome (latest)
  • When I was cultivating my backyard, after I finished I noticed my mood and energy levels had reduced (quite a bit as I was playing around - lol).  Is this meant to happen?  If so we need to see the mood and energy indicators when in cultivation mode.  (Still a very awesome release though :)
    Posted 12 years ago by dmnddgs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Improvements to cultivation:  When first placing items, the rulers are very useful.  However, it is not clear at first that your item is actually going to take up that entire space, since the items' images are so much smaller than the ruler size.  I thought it was just a target guide to help placement.  Since only about 3 items can fit in a base size yard, I would have been much more careful to place items up to the very edges of the space, if I had been spending currantcy for this.  I think some sort of marking indicating the areas occupied by items and the edge of the house, while in Cultivation mode, would be very helpful.  This being in addition to the not allowed icon while placing the next item.  Also the ability to tweak the placement of an item during the same cultivation session, or just in general, would be a good idea.
    Posted 12 years ago by KhaKhonsu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Um ... I bet this is a bug, but I think it should be embraced as a feature. My barnacles are restless, and I like it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Editing your outside house and/or going into cultivation mode now behave like house decoration mode: no energy loss!
    Posted 12 years ago by eric Subscriber! | Permalink
  • woo hoo - thx eric  :)
    Posted 12 years ago by dmnddgs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "There seem to be some issues, at least with the "frog" house, with the way animals move on the street:" - known bug

"Came in to old apartment: the garden had "shrunk" graphically" - yeah, that's going to stay like that for now:)

"My barnacles are restless" - hehe. bug!
  • WOW - it's been a lot of fun playing around w/the new house styles, love all the options. I'm sorry you are getting so many grumpy whining type comments, but change can be difficult.
    I do have a comment, when you go to pick your house style and customize the roof, siding, etc. it's a bit hard to see what it will actually look like (must be those older eyes); it would be great if there was a way to do a zoom type function to see it more clearly (more life sized). Now while it's all free it's not a big deal to change things if they don't look as good when they are just sitting there on the street, in the future I am sure it will be very frustrating when you aren't happy w/what you have chosen.
    I think way earlier in the discussion someone said it would be nice to be able to see how different furniture items look against your existing set up, sort of a pick what you want and they confirm you actually want to buy it, kind of like the wall swatches work, you actually see it placed and then confirm the purchase. Furniture doesn't work like that now, maybe it could in the future.
    Sorry for being so long winded, thanks for all your hard work Bees! (and your fellow dev's)
    Posted 12 years ago by Gizmospooky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I didn't read this whole thread, so some of this may be a repeat, but here are my comments:

LOVE everything about this! Thank you for the update!! There is so much to do here I spent several hours on it and could keep going but I need to sleep some time. I only saw some minor issues: 

1) some items do not fit on tables, etc, as perfectly as they used to (example: on an end table, the black vase seems to hover above it rather than resting on it). 

2) An "undo" button is sorely needed while in decorate or cultivate mode for all actions that don't require a confirmation. 

3) Adding furniture to the upper level is difficult because quite often the item will just fall to the lower level (when it is placed slightly closer to forward than the limit). 

Can't think of anything else at the moment... this release is nearly perfect :) 
    Posted 12 years ago by Shepherdmoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Things I love so far:
    The Hobbit House

The Firefly Hive and Jellisac mound

The fact that the upstairs and downstairs doors don't need to be in the same place.
    Posted 12 years ago by KhaKhonsu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "it's a bit hard to see what it will actually look like" - yeah, a zoom would be nice

"I think way earlier in the discussion someone said it would be nice to be able to see how different furniture items look against your existing set up," - we're thinking about a way to do this that makes sense
  • Perhaps there could be a way to preview or enlarge the different street styles instead of having them just show up as thumbnails? I loved all of them, and it took me a while to apply them all in order to get a better look at them. Just a random thought.

(By the way, this release is AWESOME.)
    Posted 12 years ago by madance4 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bug: if you place a storage display box above a fuel maker, when you click on it to add things you walk to the fuel maker but then can't place things in it. Being over the fuel maker messed with your ability to deposit. In this picture, I can add to the block above the blockmaker, but not to the one above the fuel maker. I'll leave my 2nd story house with this intact so it can be replicated.

http://www.glitch.com/snaps/PUV6VHS8HKG29AG/1547-40eef3b6f3/

This glitch snaps feature is great for reporting bugs!
  • (even if i don't reply to you directly, i read every post and note down your requests/comments)
  • Eric - Thank You :))  Much appreciated!
    Posted 12 years ago by Teena Subscriber! | Permalink
  • SDBs should be upgradable in place without having to remove the contents.

Sorry if this has already been filed/mentioned.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kerlick Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kerlick, that is not likely to change. Same as with doors, you have to go into decorate mode to upgrade them if they have something in them.
    Posted 12 years ago by eric Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Have to say that this continues to be more and more impressive the more I play around/fiddle with it.  Was sort of non-plussed with the housing exterior options until I started to serious play around with changing ALL the options...WOW...there are sooo many unique styles and options....this is seriously impressive. 

One thing I noticed was a cool new hanging decoration when I had all my items in the furniture inventory showing...however, it doesn't appear to be in the filtered down decorations set of furniture.  Also checked in lighting for it, and it doesn't appear there.  Thinking it might need to be tagged for decorations...I mean some people probably really need that disco ball or fish mobile in their homes... :)

Great release...thanks for all the hard work.  Looking forward to water/beach options in the future...
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Pink Flamingo~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Since there are no longer any place dependencies for growing different kinds of crops, what is the rationale for separating vegetable crops and herb patches? As far as I can see, we could just as easily mix and match. There don't seem to be any lingering game mechanics that require separate plots.

Am I missing something?
  • When housing resets, what will happen to all of our stuff in SDBs & shelves? Will it all pile on the floor?

Related: it would be nice to be able to select multiple items at once and drag them between 2 pieces of furniture when decorating. It's a pain to pick up every little thing on a table to transfer it to a shelf.

P.s. this update is AMAZING! It's like the Ikea catalogue meets an infinite bank account meets LSD!
    Posted 12 years ago by Lettuce Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 16