Topic

Tips for twitchy quests (like Walk Towards the Light)?

My fellow Glitchen, I am not gifted with Twitchy Thumbs (there, I said it!). When you combine that with just a little lag, it makes quests like Walk Towards the Light nearly impossible, and incredibly frustrating - which makes for a most unGlitchly state of mind.  This gives me sadface, because nowhere else in Glitch do you have to be coordinated, which is part of the reason I play this game.

I tried being clever and using spinach or levitation (which is how I get through tricky areas in other parts of Ur), but the mouse-over said that would give me an unfair advantage! Obviously, whoever wrote that does not understand just how uncoordinated some of us are ;)

What I'd really like to see is a choice to complete the quest on Hard level (so those who are good at and enjoy this kind of play can have fun with it) or on Easy level, where the ledges stay lit for just a few seconds longer so that players like me, who need to line up before jumping, can solve the puzzle aspect without beating our heads against the wall of too-quickly disappearing ledges. Seriously, knowing the sequence but trying and failing to complete it over and over and over again because I can't time my jumps just right is just not fun.

Since that's NOT the case, does anyone have any tips for me? Right now, the best I've come up with is "ask my boyfriend to pilot my Glitch for me" :P

Posted 12 years ago by Caiyot Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Double-clicking the game makes your character jump to the spot where you double-clicked.  It might be a bit easier for you to click on a platform (twice, quickly) than it is to jump using the keyboard.
    Posted 12 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hmmm. Double-clicking jumped me towards a platform, but not onto it. I actually find the mouse much more challenging than the keyboard, because I have wrist problems and repeatedly double-clicking hurts.

Thank you very much for the suggestion, though!
  • I'm the same as you, so I just had to spend 15 minutes or so trying again and again, practicing the jumps until my muscle memory got the sequence and timing down.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aurora Dellaterra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How do I get to Go Into the Light?
    Posted 12 years ago by Dr. Babycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just can't do this quest. I usually play from home on a laptop with frequent lag, refreshing, etc.
    But I eventually have completed other quests. This week I stayed at work (huge server) to try "Walk Towards the Light". There was no lag anywhere else. I got past the first platform jump and that was it. The movement was like swimming in quicksand (I imagine).
    This quest is likely the LAST thing I'll acomplish.
    Posted 12 years ago by Patricia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, I gave up on this one, too.
    Posted 12 years ago by Colette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hated this quest SO MUCH.  It was zero fun for me.  I eventually finished it but it was one of the very few places in Glitch where I felt like I'd wasted my time.  (I feel kind of the same way about Fernucopia, which is sad because it makes me unwilling to go into ANY basements, even though I like most of them.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Pale Queen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • After trying and trying, I too gave up on it. I just don't have the coordination and the lag is a killer.
    Posted 12 years ago by Snickersnee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I finally got it, but I was sitting there wondering what extreme level of coordination TS thinks we have jumping as I failed repeatedly.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had lag too, making the quest impossible for me.
    Then I did refresh / reload of the game, and after that: no lag for me and could finish the quest.
    Maybe that is an option.
    Posted 12 years ago by Hunab Ku Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had some lag problems too and I am a poor jumper.  It took me a little time to "train" myself how to jump but I did complete it.  I probably did it must easier than some of you but it did lose the "fun factor" after about the 4th miss.  I would like to try it again to see if I can improve.  I agree that maybe some of these jumping/speed challenges would be more fun if there was an "Easy" option.  Many people just can't jump well or fast and lag is a constant problem.
    Posted 12 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • try running glitch in a browser that you don't use for anything else. Sometimes this alone can eliminate a lot of the lag.
    Posted 12 years ago by Moehr Ossum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I finally did it! I enjoyed the sections where the ledges stayed lit and you had to figure out which color combinations to use much more than the ones where you had to time it just right (which is frankly impossible with lag), but at least it's out of my quest log! I did use a browser that I almost never use (Opera) and managed to not get lag until I'd finished. Phew!
  • Yeah, this quest is lousy and unplayably difficult for me.  
    Posted 12 years ago by CoffeeSparkles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hate complaining (tho the husband wouldn't agree with that!), but this one is making me MAD. Like, Throw the Computer Out the Window Mad. Can someone post a cheat or a trick or something that will cause me not to quit completely?
    Posted 12 years ago by traypup Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't usually have any problems with the more twitchy quests, but for some reason I had a ton of difficulty with Walk Towards The Light. Something about the jumping physics in that quest is just... off. Felt like I lost any and all momentum if I even thought about correcting my jumps in midair. I get that the jumping physics are different there to account for different levels of high jump and to disallow Levitation, but something just seems wrong with the way jumping handles there.

Maybe, as a method to counter lag, each press of the light buttons would keep the platforms lit for a half second longer- that way, given enough time and button presses, even laggy users could have a shot at completing the quest.
    Posted 12 years ago by Wrench Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Have to agree...hated this quest too. Lag made it damn near impossible to get through. In hindsight, I kinda appreciate the difficulty, because it's like a spiritual quest...there is struggle and difficulty, but the reward was the following quest, The Last Pilgrimage of Esquibeth, and the hardship only made the reward that much sweeter.

With that said, lag makes it much more difficult for some of us, including myself, and the ONLY way I managed to get through it at all was with the use of hairball flower, seeing as how spinach and levitation were greyed out. Munch the hairball, go to the far edge of the platform and take a running leap through the lights...the extra speed helps combat the lag.

Devs, take pity on those of us with severe lag, and please don't nerf this solution...all hail the mighty power of the herb!
    Posted 12 years ago by KitchWitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Rainbow Potion. That is all.
    Posted 12 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Certainly not a tip for completing the quest, but it sounds as if there's more than one Glitchen here who, like myself, have problems (and more than a few) navigating areas that require timed jumps...boy, do I have a Group for all of You!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Dahlia DreadNaught Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Heh, that's the only quest I've not yet completed. I will try again eventually, but it's much more annoying than fun for me as well.

I wish we could throw barrels at the person who designed this quest and Summer's Day.
    Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dahlia, that cracked me up!  And yes, I am now a proud member of the Crap Jumpers Group :) 
  • Hooray!
    Posted 12 years ago by Dahlia DreadNaught Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Dahlia - I didn't know about this Group. As usual, I missed it :)
  • Dahlia, thank you. I'm crying laughing -- and I joined immediately.
    Posted 12 years ago by Colette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Many apologies for the difficult jumps, we tried to make challenges but precise jumping doesn't seem the way to go. I've extended the duration of the timed platforms by 3-4 seconds, I hope it eases the tension.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lisa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aww, thank you, Lisa! I'm sure that will make the quest much easier for the legions of Crap Jumpers to follow in our footsteps :)

I'd like to note that while that aspect was frustrating, I found the color switches themselves to be fun and cool, and I liked that they made little mini puzzles to solve!  TS really does have an amazingly responsive and creative group of devs. Hats off to you!
  • Thank you, Lisa. I shall try again ("takes a deep, but shaky, breath and tries to smile bravely")
  • I'm stuck here: http://www.glitch.com/snaps/PHF2TPQR35D2TPR/124554-bf5cbb7597/

The controls are super, super finicky, and I cannot make it past the second platform, and I am not normally a crap jumper.

Can someone please tell me what the secret is to beating this quest?
    Posted 12 years ago by Espresso Chai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I advise you not to slow down while you're running those platforms, Espresso Chai, or you'll fall. Just look where you're trying to land and effing give'r. ;) It took me a couple tries (and ladder ascensions of shame) to nail the timing and know where to jump next, but not many.
    Posted 12 years ago by Wednesday Last Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Walk Toward the Light is a pain when my browser goes "twitchy" and I can't precisely coordinate the timing/spacing of my jumps but I can do that one. Mental Block, though, had me tearing my hair out getting my little Glitch to land and then STOP before he fell off.
    Posted 12 years ago by Teem Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, god, don't even mention Mental Block to me. I got so effing frustrated with trying to jump on a stack of blocks for the fifteenth time and my little glitch just wandering right off the edge that I actually started crying, which is just absolutely ridiculous. I finally got through that one and I'll never let the magic rock send me into one of those stupid quests again without waiting for other people to establish its suck factor first.
    Posted 12 years ago by blitheandbonny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Woot Woot Completed !
    Posted 12 years ago by pearlsnow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am playing glitch because (mostly) it is not a "Mario-kind-of-game" ... I simply do not enjoy hectic bouncing around. So of course I suck at these quests and quite honestly, I do not plan to waste another second on them.
    I just wish there was a way to make them disappear from my quest-log *sigh*
    Posted 12 years ago by Gfrastsackerl Subscriber! | Permalink