Topic

Bring Back Asslandina

Name changes are confusing---ask Prince.

Posted 12 years ago by Rennie Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 Next
  • +1 for Acid Cars...wait...what??
    Posted 12 years ago by Chazerei Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think the dinos are endearing and fit Glitch.

Originally, I was afraid of the snot bubble when I heard about it, but it wasn't gross like the snot bubble one of the kids in Windwaker has. The dino I saw in Tambra Tiss looked nice on the street. I haven't seen the others to know if I feel like they blend on those streets.

I also don't mind wandering through the intestinal track, but the butts did throw me off a bit (bright and happy as they are). I'm still not quite sure what I think of them. I did like the area they landed me in, though! It was fun and lighthearted.

As for the name, I like Shim Shiri better. Asslandia made me chuckle, but Shim Shiri sounds more nonsensically Glitchy to me.
    Posted 12 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Totally agree Miss Muffett- lovely idea, just don't get the plonked in middle of street bit. Out of place.
    Posted 12 years ago by Talia True Subscriber! | Permalink
  • While I have no problem with naked glitchen or toilet humour I do have to agree with Talia True that the presentation is somewhat jarring. I usually play zoomed out so that I can really enjoy the beautiful artwork and landscape design that is so much a part of Ur. This just doesn't seem to have come out of the same creative mind(s). That's the good thing about Glitch.......something to suit everyone and something for everyone to complain about!
    Posted 12 years ago by Mostly Mellow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll just leave this cogent point here - www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1h...
    Posted 12 years ago by Benzyl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think its incredibly sad that TS has to cave into the complainers.  Glitch is not for kids, yet they feel compelled to make it sanitized like Disneyland.

If you think Asslandia is a bad name then you are so uptight that I really dont want to be around you, ever.
    Posted 12 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the new name way better than the old one, so much more Glitch-y!
    I'm not a prude, but the old name would have left me cold/meh, it sounds cheap, shabby, tawdry, whereas the new name sounds deceptively sophisticated, cosmopolitan, even cultured ~Glitch Culture. It says what it says, without saying it...a bright name with a dark twist. Love it.
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the new name.  The whole thing was a bit juvenile for my taste (after thinking the streaking feat was fun --- you don't have to be a total prude to have a "turd in the punchbowl" aesthetic reaction), and the name change made it palatably cute enough for me not to mind using it, while still preserving the joke in a more tasteful form, since I know a little Japanese.
    Posted 12 years ago by LinnesetFox Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to what ~Scilly~ said.
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Muffett Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't really think TS changed because of the complainers, they obviously had both images ready for entering the new area. I think someone added that image either on accident or to be snarky, and later changed it to what the actual name was. Maybe just to get a rise, or just to have a little fun? I don't care either way, I've found my new hangout spot:)
    ETA: about the snot bubble -  this is common place in Japanese cartoon art. It shows that the character is asleep, kind of like how American artists use ZZZs .
    Posted 12 years ago by Muncey Mango Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Shim Shiri sounds way too much to me like something out of Mary Poppins.   (Shim Shimini, Shim Shimini, Shim Shim Shiri...) 

-- one of the excellent things about the game is how it represents the imagination of 11 giants, not just 1.  11 giants with 11 different imaginations. Grumbala is fine, but we need the boglands too, and Ix, and other things that are different that we haven't seen yet and that haven't even been imagined yet, and they all need to mix together into one huge imagined thing.
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, you do beam up the dino's shiri, kind of like a chimney sweep would go up a chimney...
    Posted 12 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • LOL, Little Miss Giggles!

eta: That is part of the new name's charm, it sounds so innocent...
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Shim Shiri is really a good name to replace the initial obscure naming scheme.  Imagine how dirty your mind can get after repeating that word over and over?

We don't need to "bring Asslandia back," we only need to refer to this place as "Asslandia" as a very brief memory of Uralian times, but I'll just stick with Shim Shiri since new players will not remember.

Remember the Asslando!
    Posted 12 years ago by Zadow, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just logged into the game for the specific purpose of seeing what everybody was complaining about. I logged off not understanding the problem.

I'm an x-ray tech. I've done more GI studies and barium enemas in my career than I can count. (It's not a glamorous job, but hey! radiation!) Believe me, if you can live through your first BE, you're set for life. Not many bodily functions can bother you after that. But, it's something that I had to do almost every day. You know why? Because all people have intestines, and sometimes intestines don't function like they're supposed to, and you have to figure out why. It's something that just needs to be done.

Really, the only thing that bothered me was the fact that the dinosaurs aren't anatomically correct. But I got over it because the intestines had some pretty good detail. Then I realized that I was kind of having fun. This new area is neat.

I could do without the tooty sound at the end, though, but that's just because I think it's a little much. That's all.
    Posted 12 years ago by girlthulhu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm not a huge fan of most of it, I'm not really one for potty humor (I can deal with piggy plops and guano alright), but I agree with what people are saying re: it can all be avoided, you don't have to go there. (And if you're offended at all just by the concept, I would definitely suggest NOT going there. The sound effect is pretty awful, I had to go through the dinos with my sound off.) But people have different senses of humor, and different life experiences and backgrounds - just because they like the potty humor doesn't mean they're somehow less intelligent than those who don't like it.

I think the new name suits Glitch better though, to be honest. I also would like to know the Ur-world backstory about these dinosaurs though, as right now it's true they don't really fit in with the rest of the story (nor the landscape really, but there's only a few of them, it's not like they're in every street... Plus, they are pretty cute, all sleepy and drooly. D'aww.)

ETA: By the same token, just because some of us may not get/understand/enjoy potty humor does not mean we have no sense of humor at all. Let's not make negative ASSumptions about other people here, agreed? XD
    Posted 12 years ago by Sisterly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Some people just have no sense of humor.  As someone who's had colitis for over 10 years and is required to get a "up-yur-butt-a-scope once a year to check for bad things in all the twisty loops, I know how important it is to maintain a sense of humor about all things colon-ish.

Bring back Asslandia (or Asslandina or Asslandiodiadina).  Back it back for all of us who really need a laugh at times.  Let the humor impaired leave this awesome game to those of us who really appreciate it and are willing to put our money where our little glitchy hears (and colons) are.
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If people want a less offensive name, call it Bumland or something. Though Shim Shiri makes me think of a Mary Poppins song....
    Posted 12 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sisterly, the reason there's no backstory is because none of us have created one yet :) LB-O, any ideas?
  • Did anyone happen to create a TP script to Asslandia? Because that might be worth something. (hee hee, TP)
    Posted 12 years ago by dm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Like the name Asslandina. Dont like the art on the streets doesnt fit maybe needs a bit of tweaking like the initial delivery frog?
    Posted 12 years ago by Gruff McGruff Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, after touring and reading a few threads, I don't mind Asslandia, but God used to be a lot more sophisticated. (and do not confuse sophisticated with prudish, please)
    Posted 12 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oshiri=ass in Japanese... just sayin'.
    Posted 12 years ago by Rockadilly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't care about the name change; I'm just glad other people hear the Mary Poppins thing too.

Interesting comment in the other thread about how this could reflect cultural differences, Japan having far less problems with funny depictions of bodily functions and such. (I just skimmed and don't know whether the artist is actually Japanese or whether this was just used as an example.)
    Posted 12 years ago by ZenMonkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Okay, here's a backstory right off the top of my head while I'm on the phone:

After taking a trip to a museum while the universe was still young, the Giants decided to make some dinosaurs. They were cute at first, and dinosaur rides were a lot of fun. But then they started eating all the trees and pooping all over the place, which wasn't so fun. So, tiring of all the replanting and clean-up, they made the dinosaurs vanish in a bright flash of imagination.

Unfortunately, a few dinosaurs slept through it. They had been hiding in pockets of Ur and forgotten in the Unimagining. The Giants felt bad knowing that these dinosaurs would wake back up, completely alone and the last of their species. So, the Giants allowed them to sleep forevermore, and as a tribute to the first time they all agreed to make a living thing together.
    Posted 12 years ago by girlthulhu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll always love and remember you, Asslandia!
    Posted 12 years ago by Guided by Foxes Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Don't really have strong feelings one way or another about the name/lobby area, do have strong feelings about people seeing that many of their fellow (adult) players got a kick out of it and then posting that this sort of humour can only be enjoyed by children.  Bit unnecessary.

New wardrobe item idea: "Asslandia I Was There" t-shirts :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Ms. Beagle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ZenMonkey: I think that roughly 9 people in the entire world don't appreciate ass and fart humor. They just all happen to be in this thread.
    Posted 12 years ago by FyodorD Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 @Ms. Beagle!
    It's been ages since I've changed my outfit, and I refuse to alter it for any reason because of that, but I'd get one of those in an instant! (Can I get an RL one too please?)
    Posted 12 years ago by Jus​tin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for Justin's idea of a RL "I survived Asslandia" t-shirts.
    Posted 12 years ago by Zooo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hear Poppins everywhere
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If acting like people who like toilet humour are immature is unfair, then it's equally unfair to act like those who don't like it are snobby or unfun. I doubt anyone here specifically picked out their own sense of humour in order to offend others, okay?
    Posted 12 years ago by Pyrrhocorax Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok, I don't find it amusing but realise I might have done in my childhood days.  The art style is not my favourite here either and they look strange and out of place.  I expect it will take a while to get used to them.

I do understand that others will enjoy exactly what I don't like about them and that it's good that UR is a varied place where everyone can find something that amuses them.

Asslandia wasn't as clever a name as you would expect from Glitch, puerile really.
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for changing the street portal art.  The hub is fine, but I don't think the over-sized, nose-bubbling heads fit on the existing streets. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Goddess Freya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • TS CHANGED IT!! TO WHAT?! WHAT
    THE FUCK :(
    ETA: this is in response to Goddess stating TS changed the street portals. I can't log in to see if this is true. Please someone tell me they didn't remove the dinos!
  • Call it asslandia if you insist, but the change was not a product of conceding to people who expressed dislike for the release name. The name was changed because the staff who are responsible for naming things said that Shim Shiri is the actual name of the place. Stoot said as much in Global at the time of the change.
    Posted 12 years ago by Xiri Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Boy, you know, folks have been itching for something to vote on.  I'd love to spend my votes on a "hell yeah!" or "gosh no!" on the location name.  I bet you'd find that folks are overwhelmingly in favor of the Original Recipe Assandia.  I'm Nate Silver, and I approved this message.*

*I'm not at all Nate Silver.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sloppy Ketchup Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I thought the Shim Shiri name was a little boring when I first saw the tweet. I should have known better. Dirty and sly without being crass (though I think it's probably silly to complain about a crass name when you're getting pooped out a dino butt).

My childhood memories of Mary Poppins are now officially MUCH MORE AWESOME.
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Coco Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Muncey, I imagine she was just up-voting it, not saying that TS has already changed it
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ooohh , I see. Nevermind me :p
  • Has anyone ever complained about Eglesgown Wanks? Cos I don't get why people now complain about Asslandia...if you think that's crass, then what is Eglesgown Wanks? ;-)
    Posted 12 years ago by Alyx Sands Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 1. I wish I could emerge from the dino tush with a strawberry head, or maybe a pig's ass head, because this is like a cool flashback from Noby Noby Boy all up in heah.

2. You know how when someone near you yawns, and then you have an uncontrollable urge to yawn?  Well, the sounds these guts are making have awakened the kraken in me.
    Posted 12 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to Miss Coco

I liked the old name, but I love the new one. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Fawnie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Miss Coco as well.  I think the new name still connotes the same sentiment without being too crass.

I honestly thought I was going to hate all of it from the comments, but for me, it wasn't too bad.  I actually kind of like the whimsical sleeping dinos in Ur. And I am glad to finally see more of kt's art and ideas in the game.

Per the dinos in Ur...I think their colors are good for their areas, but I think they could still be a bit better blended into the terrain.  For example, the one in Kalavana - would prefer the lights to hang in front of the dino's head.  They all seem to just be placed on top of the landscape rather than integrated into it.  Maybe have a tree branch in front of the dino in the foresty areas, etc.

I typically don't care for potty humor, but maybe the sounds have been toned down a bit since yesterday.  Burping out a glitch is kinda funny, and at least gives you an audio tone to know someone new has entered the street.  Farting out a glitch on the other side...well, a bit crass, but it kinda fits the theme, so, okay, I can buy it.  The sounds in the intestines remind me of the sound effects in Unwell Mel...probably why I didn't play that game for long periods of time...but again, fits with the theme.

I love the whimsical new central hub artwork - the blocks remind me of some 3d sphere building from an old game I used to play.  Though I do find beaming up to the dino butts a bit weird, but think their wagging tales are kinda cute.

I just wish one of the Ur locations was somewhere that I tend to go to (maybe one on Ix or Uralia?)...rather than being the new dino-way that connects only places I rarely go to.

Overall, I guess I don't mind it as something different for a 'pass through' area...but I won't be dwelling in these areas for a long portion of the game.  Don't hate it...I actually really like the more whimsical artwork...but don't necessarily love the entire theme. However, I do kind of think it does sort of fit into the whole Glitchy-ness of the game...but I do understand why some are probably turned off by some of it.
    Posted 12 years ago by White Ibis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm on the exact same page as White Ibis: don't hate it, but don't necessary love the entire theme.
    Posted 12 years ago by Persephone Pear Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Some of you need to, oh I dunno, knock back a cup of concrete and harden up."  Baaahahahaha, best line!
    Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @whining prudes everywhere: Everybody poops. Humans find it funny. Get over it.

That said, it would have been nice to use my so-far-utterly-useless accumulated votes on a Name Change Referendum, TS. Oh, need to get that on the Ideas forum!

[ETA]: Looking at after-posters, perhaps I should have addressed that @everyone and said, "People often find it funny."

[Needless snark deleted.]
    Posted 12 years ago by Kip Konner Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I guess this thread is full of non-humans then! I'm delighted with my new species personally. I'm now officially Furret, the long body pokemon.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pyrrhocorax Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Pyrrhocorax Welcome, fellow non-human!
    Posted 12 years ago by Berry Goode Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Vote?
    Posted 12 years ago by Rennie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Everyone who's freaking out about potty humour in glitch is silly. I think one of the key parts to the mood of glitch that I enjoy is the fact that it doesn't treat you like a kid, but still makes you feel like one. They can make jokes about intellectual things and butts and sex and whatever else. Its unbridled in it's creativity, and that is a great thing in my opinion.
    Posted 12 years ago by Grupletruge Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 Next