Topic

Where did your username come from and what does it mean?

I'm always interested to know these things and I know I can't be the only one! :D

Mine is the name of my favorite color. A vivid, bright, bold blue. I also want to name my actual child this, some day. I'm going to be one of those weird parents that names their kids all sorts of weird things (not as farfetched as "Pilot Inspektor") like Silhouette or Viridian, haha.

Posted 13 years ago by Cerulean Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9
  • My name is Laura, and I used to work with this older woman who I loved who always called me Laurali.  I thought it was pretty!
    Posted 13 years ago by Laurali Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Eldon Like your naming system, I become Fispug Davbir. Not going to get many friends, I suspect.
    Posted 13 years ago by snygyst Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My RL name is Julie,growing up my mum's nickname for me was/is Joobags. 

In FS i went by the name Joobags,but a good friend i met in there always called me Joos,so hence shortened it to Joo's for Glitch.
    Posted 13 years ago by Joos Subscriber! | Permalink
  • By Eldon's method, I become Angea Katphi. Sounds like a star system.
    Posted 13 years ago by Yaoya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Um ... stupidity?  I had only played one MMO before Glitch.  There you had a user name and got to name "your" animals in the game.  I thought I was naming my avatar (which I was) but thought my user name would be different.  Which it isn't.  She sort of looks like a Marla to me though.  That's why i haven't changed it.
    Posted 13 years ago by Marla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine's what we call our 9 month old son...
    Posted 13 years ago by Shouty McPoopypants Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Yaoya fun learning about your Japanese name
    @PurpleLogic *digs on some Steely Dan with ya*
    @Laurali love your name!

By Eldon's method I would be ~ Marlaw Healan  :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Sayuri Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Eldon - Yorpat Timlaw!
    Posted 13 years ago by That Kid Tyler Subscriber! | Permalink
  • LOL @ Shouty..:D

Loving the Star wars names!

Ashmea Julwal
    Posted 13 years ago by Joos Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Eldon: awesome!  Mine would be Hovkas Laustl.  Doesn't make a lot of sense or sound pretty, but I think its bad ass!
  • My character looked like a little green booger.
    MrBoogs.
    Posted 13 years ago by MrBoogs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is pretty boring - I was signing up for the Alpha testing and needed a name. Google to the rescue. I searched and found a link to a random name generator. After a few spins of the randomizer - I picked this one.
    Posted 13 years ago by Shadowy Time Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Marla-I like your name and she does look like a Marla. Us 70's named chicks gotta stick together :)

My story is this-In FS my username was UnderlynH20 because I like waterfalls. Under=underneath, lyn means water, and H20 well is Water. I thought a human-looking character needed a more human name so Holly Waterfall seemed more appropriate. The H in Holly coming from H20. It's all very symbolic. My Star Wars name would be Acoman Stanor. I guess if you reverse the order its kind of interesting. But I will stick with Holly (or HW) for now. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Holly Waterfall Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I usually use the same username for every site I join and back in '06 I started playing RS with the username Piratethief8, called Pirate for short. But then in I think '08 I started a new account on RS with the username Ice Blk Drgn, called Ice. My old friends call me Pirate, new friends call me Ice. I thought I should just combine the two to make Piratice. Now I use Piratice on all the sites I join now.

The most interesting/annoying part is that no one knows how to pronounce Piratice even though I tell them to call me Pirate. XD
    Posted 13 years ago by Piratice Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My initials are JAS, and "Jas" was a family nickname.  For some reason, my mom sometimes lengthened it to "jasbo" - it seemed appropriate for using here.
    Posted 13 years ago by jasbo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Zev Bellringer was born on the planet B3K, one of the worlds ruled by His Divine Shadow. While still an infant, she was sold by her parents to the Wife Bank, where she was raised in a box with no human contact.
    Somehow she has now ended up in Glitch.
    Posted 13 years ago by Zev Bellringer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I couldn't do my real nickname, which is sad.  My last name is Hovis but everyone took to calling me Ho.  I'm not really a ho, but I guess its hilarious to everyone that my last name has Ho in it.
  • My oldest nephew always called me "Auntie"  When my other sister moved back to CT she was also called "Auntie"   The family was together one day when he called out "Auntie" and my sister (his mom) asked which one.  He screwed his face up and thought for a moment and then with bright eyes and a big smile said "Original Auntie"  My nephew was six then and he is 20 now, so I think I'll keep the name a while.........
    Posted 13 years ago by Originalauntie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My real name is Meredith and my friends lovingly called me "Mere Bear." I am also known for being very tall. Put them together and ya get "tallmerebear."
    Posted 13 years ago by tallmerebear Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is simply my name in another great browser game, Pardus. I signed up here one night right after coming from there. =P

An Aegis is a shield, or protector.
    Posted 13 years ago by Aegis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine comes half from surfing the web and half because at the time of creation I was working a particularly serf-like job at a Borders Books. So I combined the two thoughts, added a zero at the end to really make sure that 'McJob' feeling hit home and voila! Serfer0 at your service!
    Posted 13 years ago by serfer0 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Serfer0-I used to work at Borders too. Well actually Waldens but I loved my serf-like job. Well until they all went out of business around here :(
  • Kerheb = Ker-Heb the ancient Egyptian priests who were masters of the temple ceremonies, reciting the religious texts and oversaw the funeral rites.
    Posted 13 years ago by Ker-Heb Subscriber! | Permalink
  • SC for South Carolina. 803 is the area code I lived in. I'm no longer there (back in CA now), but SC will always be "home" to me.
    Posted 13 years ago by Essie Kitten Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a kid trapped in a very old man's body.  My mind is still watching Sesame Street, my body is finding it harder and harder to climb stairs.

I was going to use Big Bird, but didn't want the hassle of too much double entendres.
    Posted 13 years ago by Snuffleupagus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Holly Waterfall.
    Cool! How hard did we work at that job tho?
    So much Harry Potter, so much carnage....
  • @ Holly and serfer0 - I work at Borders! no way!
  • @That Kid Tyler
    No way! You still have a job?
    Good for you!
    You must be selling Lindor Balls like a mofo!
  • You bet! Can't sell a Rewards Plus for crap though. They have me doing everything all over the store as like an extra person. Even in the cafe. The Borders here is the top performing in Florida!
  • I have a fascination with the Aurora Borealis, but the a game I played in the past the name "Aurora" was already taken. So I went searching for another feminine name and found "Linnaea Borealis" which both a pretty flower and has "Borealis" in it as well. Since then all my characters have been _something_ Borealis. Kind of lets people know who I am, even when switching characters, etc.

My l33t haxx0r name I've been using for about 20 years now is "ShockValue", but that didn't seem to be all that fitting in this game.
    Posted 13 years ago by Vicereine Linnæa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If I used Shouty McPoopyPants' logic, then I should either be Mugwump or Lumpling (which is what the daughters were in-utero), but I prefer WhizGidget.
    Posted 13 years ago by WhizGidget Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @sc803  I too have the same problem with SC.  I went there for my Graduate work (USC, the real one, not that fake southern cal one) and I moved to france for a year... SC is always on your mind... such a great place.
    Posted 13 years ago by frenchphenom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Eldon lol! using your method I would be Mohgow Heaoxf - I like the MohGow - but the Heaoxf could do with improvement! 
    Posted 13 years ago by Momo McGlitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stolen from a silly movie I like. According to IMDB, the official spelling is "LeeLoo." But it's my name and I'll spell it any way I want to. :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Lelu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have too many silly online identities and I wanted something akin to a real name for my little Glitch. I also wanted it to be entirely unrelated to my real name and, indeed, gender. While impatiently wracking my brain for a name (just wanted to get in and have a play) I chose a slight play on 'half a mo', as in " I'll be there in...". I actually like the shortened 'Mo!' that at least one of my friends now uses - fits like a warm faroe jumper (one for my wardrobe please, devs).
    Posted 13 years ago by Arthur Mo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm jelliclecat in various other internetty places, for love of the poem. (I haven't seen Cats, though, and I rather wish people would stop using it as a conversation starter and then going "huh?" when I mention T.S. Eliot.) But, one of my cats is definitely a gumbie cat and I liked the name Jennyanydots. 

I may switch to Jellylorum, though, even though she doesn't have her own poem.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jennyanydots Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Season 5 of Doctor Who had recently ended when I joined, and I stole Amy's name. I love how it leads to meeting other Who fans in Glitch!
    Posted 13 years ago by Amy Pond Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My name comes from my 2 dogs, Missy and Keyra. Missy gone to doggie heaven, Keyra is as old as dirt but still kicking.
    Posted 13 years ago by miskey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love all of your stories. I have catching up to do with replies! Haha.

I'm also loving all of the Star Wars names, lmao. I remember I had to generate a Star Wars name at some point, too... I think it may have been to create an account for TOR... another MMO which will consume my life, lmao.

Not to mention Zelda: OOT for the 3DS launches in 2 weeks and I'm going to be obsessed with that, too! Gahhhhhh!
    Posted 13 years ago by Cerulean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love all the names too.  @Cerulean, I could have gone with a favorite color, but naming myself purple just seemed too boring (besides, I'm WhizGidget everywhere else anyway)
    Posted 13 years ago by WhizGidget Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My husband and I are geeks. We live a geek life. In a geek house. With a geek dog. Surrounded by geek things. We drive "geek" cars. We have geek day jobs and own a geek business. So I guess you could say we're kinda geeky :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38078593@N07/5778442725/

For a number of years I've been known by a handful of "geek" names. When we created our Twitter accounts a few years back all the variants I used previously were taken. I settled on g33kgurrl and he took g33kguy.  We have expanded that out to be our identities across all social media and gaming. 
    Posted 13 years ago by g33kgurrl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 1 - i like rhythmically-oriented music

2 - a reference to the beat frequency, a sort of phantom frequency which the mind perceives when two different tones are played simultaneously, equalling the difference between their respective frequencies
    Posted 13 years ago by BeatFreq Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A sea term used for sailing international races.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jellybelly Baby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I used to be a moderator on a now long dead and gone virtual pet site back in... '03? I think. 
    I had the username Bear, as that's my name... well it's what most people call me IRL.  
    I found I'd never get any peace from users there, they'd hassle me constantly, wanting me to unban them or they'd just want to whine at me about stuff other mods/staff did.   
    I was talking to the other mods about it and they said I had a reputation with the users for being 'too nice' and a pushover, so that was why I was being hassled much more than they were. I was told that the only solution was to get evil. 
    Evil seemed a little too harsh, but Ebil seemed just about right. 
    It worked. Changed name, No more Mr. Nice Bear. 
    Ebil was born and I got much less hassle :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Ebil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sI...
    Posted 13 years ago by Sir Duke Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I live in a log cabin in the woods!
    Posted 13 years ago by Cabinwood Subscriber! | Permalink
  • TKT and serfer0: I'll challenge you to a Rewards card selling duel any day! I was the top seller in my store and then got transferred to being a manager in another store. I hated being a manager with all the paperwork and hiring/firing crap I had to do. I give WAY too many second chances. So, I backed out of that position and went down to lowly bookseller again. Loved it-know kids books like the back of my hand. Well used to-its been 10 yrs now. Yes, there are WAY too many HP books, and Star Wars books and titles from John Grisham; Sue Grafton; Janet Evanovich; Nora Roberts; etc. However, I will be sad when there are no more paperback books available and I am forced to get a Kindle-like object.
  • Animal Lover Laura

I was 13 when I made it up so it sounded cool back then, and I wanted to go onto zoology.
    Posted 13 years ago by Ani Laurel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • See 2:12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NomSOOfi4jE While not inspired by this specific mashup, this version seemed somehow apropos.
    Posted 13 years ago by Mac Rapalicious Subscriber! | Permalink
  • These explanations are so fun to read!

Mine's a syllable from each of my three names.  Usually my user names are some variant of the first one I used to go online, but for some reason I felt like changing it up this time.  :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Radasha Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9