Topic

Questions About New Housing and Group Halls -- NOW WITH STOOT ANSWERS!

UPDATE:  Scarlett Bearsdale has provided a summary of questions and answers here
Thanks Scarlett!

**  ORIGINAL POST  FOLLOWS *****************************************

I have many questions in my mind about the new housing and group halls that will be coming to Glitch. I am going to post some of them here. Maybe others have questions they would like to post.
HOUSING QUESTIONS

1. Once the new housing is introduced, what steps will current users need to take to acquire a house and what steps will new users need to take to acquire a house?

2. Will a new house consist of a template that can be extended and added to?  If so, will there be one template that everyone starts with, or will there be different starting templates to choose from?

3. Will houses have an exterior that is visible from public space such that any player could pass by, see the house, drop something in front of it, or knock on the door if they wish?  If so, will there be ways to customize this exterior to make something that is visually unique?

4. Will there be spaces with clusters of houses similar to the current housing quarters?  If so, will there be public access to these spaces such that any player can come into them and wander around? 

5. Will the new houses have a permission system that is more flexible and layered than the current permission system which allows anyone who has access to a house to take almost everything that's not locked into a cabinet?

GROUP HALL QUESTIONS

1. Will a group hall look like and function like (a) a building, (b) an outdoor street or streets, (c) an outdoor street or streets with one or more buildings, or (d) any of these a group wants?

2. Will group halls be available only to formal groups or can a collection of players get together and create a "group hall" without also creating a formal group?

3. Will group halls be considered to be owned by their associated group (however such groups are defined), owned by a subset of the group, owned by the entire community, or what?

4. Will group halls be accessible only to those who are members of their associated group, or will there be a more flexible permission system (e.g. public, public w/ blocklist, permanent guest list, limited-time invitation, etc.)?
--------------------------------------------------------

Maybe TS will answer some of these questions, maybe not.  Either way, I'm interested to know what others want to know :)

UPDATE:  See below for some answers from stoot :)

Posted 12 years ago by Splendora Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• This will be fun :-D
    Posted 12 years ago by Osprey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Honestly, at this point, I do think Stoot is really just trying to make us happy :) Which is commendable. But that'd be easier for him if we weren't so dang curious :P So we've hoovered up a lot of his awesome time (Some people's time is precious. Stoot's is AWESOME, for clarification) and should really go back to our regularly scheduled glitching until the time comes :P 

And please, for the sake of staff sanity, do not calculate 8 weeks out into days, add it to the date Stoot posted said figure, and then make an angry forum post on that day if the update does not come. It will be awesome, and most importantly it will come when it does :) Eight weeks was, more than likely, a ballpark figure :P
    Posted 12 years ago by Liza Throttlebottom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree - I consolidated all of the questions and answers into one document so I could peruse them, and it's really quite a lot of information.

Thank you Stoot, for your forthcomingness.
    Posted 12 years ago by Scarlett Bearsdale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The amount of Imagination that existing players start with will be a factor of their Currants and their Level at the time of conversion. Some portion of your Currant balance will be taken away and replaced with Imagination (you may be able to convert from one to another after, with a large amount of friction). Then you'll get an amount of Imagination which is based on your Level.However, we will be converting on a curve: being a higher level or having more currants now will mean you start withmore imagination, but the differences will be reduced. 

So as  I read this, XP and (some) Currants will be converted to imagination on a non-linear scale.   Grinding for either of these probably not a good use of your time.    You'll only get a portion of your effort back. 

Imagination will be earned by doing the same sorts of things you would previously get XP for.  Harvesting, gardening, crafting, eating sno-cones.      

So, I would think you would want to gather resources that take time, such as beans or ore, but not process them, and certainly not sell them.   Processing them is something you would do in order to receive imagination later on, because most resource processing takes less time than ranging all over the world looking for the resources themselves.    You also don't want to sell those resources, because only a portion of the resulting currents will be converted, and at a discount.   Also, since 'crafting' will apparently be part of improving the real estate you have 'imagined', having raw materials to craft with, or to trade for those you might be missing, would be a good thing.      Having finished items like cooked food or ingots may be less helpful.

Put another way, basic resources represent 'potential' imagination in ways that currants or XP and certainly not finished goods do not. 

So, George, IMO, a good background strategy for the next 8 (or so) weeks would be to gather resources, especially ones that take time to track down like tree goods and ores.    Sell or donate gems and blocks depending on your level.  On the day you log in and see your new basic tract home, you would switch to crafting and processing what is stashed in those moving boxes in order to both gain imagination at a non-discounted rate and to improve your housing area.  

I would like to hear other Glitchen's analysis of how this news might affect how they intend to play the game.   
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stoot:  in Farmville, you don't interact with other players at all, the entire economy is run by the "game" (as opposed to other players) and you continually need to either pester other people or pay cash to advance further. Glitch has none of those elements and we're not proposing to add any. Can you explain the similarity you see?  You said this:  " The few remaining things which can only be bought from vendors (with currants) will be made craftable by players. Later, vendors will at first stop buying things they don't "need" and vendor buy prices will become variable. Finally, game-run vendors (generally) won't buy stuff at all. (Our long term goal is to completely eliminate game-run vendors, though player-run vendors would be ace.) 

This sure sounds to me like I will be forced to buy/trade/sell with other players in order to "advance further."  I REALLY hope I'm wrong.

Stoot also said:  "As for refunds, if we intended to make it so that you could get a refund at any time we would have said that, rather than announcing a specific period and a deadline. I think the policy of "refunds for any reason, even if you've already spent your credits, only taking away the last stipend no matter how long you've had a subscription, no strings attached and no hidden tricks" announced with over a month of warning, sent out by email, and posted in multiple places on the site was as generous as we can reasonably be (refunds cost us a lot: I don't just mean the foregone revenue, but the fees and the cost of staff to do verification and processing). "

Really?  That's how you understood my question?  Let me try it again.  I stuck with the game because I love it and hope to continue playing it.  I'm willing to pay to play.  I am not asking for a policy of "refunds for any reason, etc."  MY QUESTION was, if this becomes a completely new game (which, it appears that it might) and I DO NOT LIKE the game that it becomes, can I at that time get a refund?  None of the other "stuff" is relevant, because IF I DO NOT LIKE the game, I will NOT be playing it.  Edited to add:  I saw the "month of warning" etc. and asked the question long before the time was up.  I hoped that the lack of response MIGHT indicate I had nothing to worry about.  I gave TS the benefit of the doubt and my trust.  I hope this does not turn into a "learning experience" for me because of it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Audaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Stoot :"No — you get imagination from the same things which currently give you XP (actions in the world, quest rewards, etc.) It is not something you buy with cash."

a HUGE thank for this direct and clear answer. 
    I love Glitch and knowing that "imagination" couldnt be bought with cash makes me really happy, please keep this game so unique.
    Posted 12 years ago by babi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • He doesn't have to answer our questions, he's doing a service by doing so. In the meantime, he could enjoy his life or develop the game more. Might as well be nice. (Not trying to say that we shouldn't ask questions, just be nice since he's taking the time to do so. Recall the last time you've talked to google's CEO, and there  you go. [Although that is a poor comparison on company size, how many companies are very close to their users though?])
    Posted 12 years ago by Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • In regards to the new housing environments, I just want to say that I can "imagine" what Stoot is trying to get across to us. The concept sounds very similar to what we enjoyed in Faunasphere. In FS each player started out with a small sphere island that could be expanded and designed by the player with items found out in the worlds. It was amazing to see what players could design.

Home worlds had 2 gates. One gate was a world gate and we could choose which world we wanted to land in when we left our home world to do quests or explore. The other gate was a friends gate that would take us to their home world and you could also use their gates to jump to their friends or out to the worlds. 

Sphere design and Fauna breeding are what I miss the most about FS. 

I am very excited to see what TS has planned for us and am sure it will be a very pleasant surprise. I usually hate change but trust the vision of TS and can't wait to see what the future brings.
    Posted 12 years ago by Breezy Meadow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I couldn't agree with Rook more.  Whilst many of us pay to play Glitch (some of us don't), that does not give you the right to be rude about it. Yes, you are paying for good service, and yes, you are getting that. Like Rook says, it is EXTREMELY rare to be able to talk to a high ranking company official and ask them questions directly. I am actually surprised that Stoot has given us so much information already. I can completely understand why he can't say a lot of stuff as many aspects are still in development and are subject to better refinement. I say we all wait until we see the finalised product in 8 weeks time and stop the Spanish Inquisition. Audaria, probably best to wait until then before making any decision about leaving. No point speculating at this point.
    Posted 12 years ago by Anderella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stoot, I love you for all the info.. Love you sooooo glitchin much
    Posted 12 years ago by October Blue Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stoot -
    1.  Will we be able to choose environmental background/landscape?  A small group of us that play live in Florida love our beautiful white beaches and azure water and would LOVE to be given a chance to have a beach as a landscape option.
    2.  If we belong to more than one group that we would like to be a group hall member, will our house allow connecting to more than one group hall?
    3.  Will there be new animals introduced?
    4.  Will there be any additional new content/quests added to the game prior to the relaunching?
    Posted 12 years ago by MzMunchken Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ah, I have a follow up question, if it is possible to answer.

Regarding this Q&A:
    Q: If the new houses are in our imaginations, how will they relate to the rest of Ur? will my front door always take me to the same place or will its destination be somewhat variable, à la Howl's moving castle?
    A: Most likely they will be variable.

Could you clarify? Do you mean that the destination will be variable, as in random each time I leave (which could be charming,) or variable as in could-be-reset-at-my-whim (which could be useful.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Scarlett Bearsdale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh. My. Gosh!  If you think I was rude to Stoot, then surely you must think Stoot was rude to me.  My tone was no more abrasive than his. Forgive me if I don't buy into the "worship the developer" camp.  Neither do I ascribe to the "customer is always wrong" theory.  Oh, wait.  That's not how it goes, is it?  I guess my retail background is showing. 

No, he doesn't HAVE to give us answers, but he said that he would and has been doing so.  I am not asking for trade secrets. I am waiting until the changes take place to decide about leaving.  I hope to stay.  I plan to stay.  Unless this is changed to a game that I no longer recognize or enjoy.  My question is both valid, and reasonable.  At least as much so as all the other questions in this QUESTION thread.
  • Audaria, I'm wondering if you question is something that the staff might feel more comfortable answering in private on a case-by-case basis, rather than in the forums. Once the answer appears in a public setting everyone is going to assume it's law set in stone for all circumstances, and that isn't the sort of thing businesses want to happen. I recommend sending in a bug report with the question, or contacting one of the staff (probably Blanky?) directly. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Shepherdmoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Audaria - I'm confused, you asked if you could get a refund and he said no pretty clearly, so how are you misunderstanding what he said? 

Also, did you not see this when you subscribed?

Please note:
     Glitch is a beta product and will be changing pretty dramatically over the next several months. These changes will be for the better, but they are changes nonetheless!

I'm sure you knew they unlaunched and that drastic changes were underway. All I see is that you're complaining that you might not like the changes and that you'd want your money back? You took a leap of faith and you now have to brave the road ahead, no takie backsies.
    Posted 12 years ago by Emerald Hill Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Audaria: I think stoot was pretty clear that the answer to your question is "no, the offer of refund has ended". And why should you have a refund? You pay to play now. If you leave, you stop paying. I don't understand why you would even expect a refund, the fun you have now does not disappear retroactively so why should it be refunded? You can even stop paying and continue to play.
    (I also do not understand why you have a problem with trading with other players, but I guess we all have different preferences in the game.)

@Walruz: Interesting to read your assumptions on strategy during the coming weeks. But they are really uncertain. E.g. it could be that building up currents now turns out to be very beneficial; despite being non-linear, the imagination gotten for currents during conversion may be "cheap" compared to building up that same imagination through grinding or exploring after the change. We don't know and it hasn't even been decided yet accoring to stoot.

I have not yet made up my own mind on how to play. I probably don't log enough hours for it to make a real difference, either way I will be medium level and not really rich 8 weeks from now :-).
    Posted 12 years ago by Vic Fontaine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hopefully the new housing system will be a money sink of some sort, all we have now is cubimals and parties.
    Posted 12 years ago by Emerald Hill Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really don't think that anyone, least of all long-time testers, is trying to be rude here.  We used to chat with developers on a regular basis, both in the game during tests and in the forums, so we had some idea of what was to come.  We were also asked for our ideas and opinions.  Now a lot of people feel that they've been left hanging, especially since the previously-unfathomable "unlaunching" process.  Yes, the staff has spent years on this game, but so have the testers; we are invested in it too, and we are allowed to (and supposed to) speak our minds.  Please don't turn this into yet another "you gave negative feedback, so I'm going to berate you" thread!

Personally, I like the new content, but I'd like to see more of it.  The new playroom quests are adorable, but they're over in five minutes and are aimed at lower-level players.  The street projects are gone, supposedly being revamped; will they return any time soon?  We were told before launch that the game wasn't built out past level 20, and I still feel that it hasn't moved much further.  Is this still in the works, or is house expansion the planned higher-level activity?
    Posted 12 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm actually really glad that I won't be getting some kind of 1:1 transfer from xp to imagination (or xpimagination, if you will). One disappoint thing about Glitch so far is how quickly I've been able to devour new content.  They add a new quest, I do it the day it comes out and it is over.  They add a skill I learn it, make everything to be made with it, and for the most part the novelty is gone.

I've been level 60 for quite a while now, but some of my friends online are only in their mid 20's.  Those people are playing the game and enjoying it, and the new system has to be designed so that they can continue to play and enjoy it, which means the new housing system has to put things within their reach.  That means that you can reasonably grow your house and do neat things making, say, 15-20k xpimagination a month.  If that's the system, and I start with 4.8 million xpimagination, then I'll just be able to buy up everything I want in one swoop and there will be no need to explore or grow with the new system.

For all those that are worried about losing the work they've already done, keep in mind that the game will be playable for those people who are still quite low level.  Either a) you are one of these people and the new system will be designed largely with you in mind or b) you are not going to have any more trouble "getting ahead" in the new system than you did in the old one.  Having all the money in the world when the new shiny stuff comes out probably makes the new shiny stuff less fun rather than more fun.

P.S.  Please dramatically lower the relative value of shrine donations as a way to generate xpimagination.

P.S.2. Please re-evaluate the xpimagination values of various recipe completions - I know I've flogged this horse before but the problem certain recipes (rice/beans/whatever) gave too much xpimagination is not really solved by a daily cap - it just makes us maximizers feel like we are *supposed* to be hitting the daily cap every day.
    Posted 12 years ago by Humbabella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Audaria:  

It has always been planned, since before the Unlaunching, that this game would have a player-driven, rather than NPC-driven, economy.  

In farmville---though I only tried it briefly and shortly after its launch---products are only sold to back to the game itself, an NPC market so to speak, but expansion of land and other products is gated by the number of friends you drag into the game or by the amount of cash you spend to buy advantages.  Tiny Speck has said they will never require us to drag friends into the game in order to reach content and that they will never limit content to subscribers only, sell advantages, or make the game difficult to play without spending cash.  

But yes, you will have to participate in the economy if you want to sell your goods.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So I assume now that icons will give you Imagination points rather than XP points? This seems to be a total revamp of the function of the game - which I get, it's still in beta - but it makes me wonder about how other things are then affected. If we can imagine anything, why garden? Why have animals? Mood and Energy I assume will still be present, but will be able to imagine mood/energy the way we can with meditation? If our XP/Level/Currants now will barely put us ahead after the change, is there any reason to continue playing until the change?

Obviously there are limits to imagination that I can't understand without experiencing it myself. I keep picturing it like a very extensive tinkering, limitless capabilities to build any physical items in the game. Of course I am one of those typical resistant to change users - this is a big scary difference from the game I know and love. I know TS has been great to me so far, I hope for the best in this as well!
    Posted 12 years ago by Csophae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Shepherdmoon - I agree that they might prefer to answer this type of question privately.  That's why I sent an e-mail when we first got the back-to-beta announcement.  I got no response.  I asked in the forums.  I got no response.  I finally got a response today, and Stoot made it sound as though I was asking for a laundry list of concessions from TS.  I was not.  So, to those who are saying "asked and answered" I will explain, that I was just trying to clarify my question.

glum pudding - thank you.

To the rest of you that want to chastise me or give me "answers" I really wasn't asking YOU.  I was asking TS.  No offense, but the only real answers come from them.  I purchased my subscription during the original beta period, because I love the game and wanted to support it.  I still do.  But if the thing I paid for is changed so much as to render it unrecognizable, then it is reasonable to expect the availability of a refund.  Otherwise, it would be seen as a classic "Bait and Switch" 

@Saucelah - I read all the old threads (back when they were not old) about the economy. We debated the pros and cons ad nauseum.  There was never a concrete definition of where it would go, just that "there would be changes."  By the time the game went live, it seemed safe to assume that there might still be some small changes and evolutions, but that the basic structure was set.
  • If our houses are no longer tied to an address/region, what music will we hear when we're at home?
    Posted 12 years ago by Gelderlin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You won't get music unless you purchase a floor-mounted radio that allows you to listen to music from whatever region you like.   With more imagination you can connect it to Pandora.   With enough imagination you can craft a 2-story servo-mechanical musicblock juke-box as an accessory for your vaulted-ceiling entertainment room. 
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Audaria The answers other gave (with there being the warning on the page when buying a subscription) answers your question perfectly. You were warned the game is changing drastically, and decided to buy a subscription. If the game ever gets to a point it's not worth a subscription, then don't resub. That's the nature of MMO's, especially ones in beta. They're constantly changing. 

The warning was basically TS answering your question in advance.
    Posted 12 years ago by Draron Subscriber! | Permalink
  •  Csophae - You asked, "If our XP/Level/Currants now will barely put us ahead after the change, is there any reason to continue playing until the change?"

My hope is that you would continue to play because you think it's fun. If you don't think it's fun, hopefully you will after the changes!
    Posted 12 years ago by Knitomaton Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Humbabella: those are good points — thanks! We are working through the ramifications of a few different ways of modifying XP/imagination from recipe-making and shrine donations even now.
    Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Audaria:  

As I pointed in many of those threads, the information was out there.  I linked to several interviews where Stoot specifically said they would transition to a player-driven economy.  Several people argued against it, but I don't think it's smart to crowd source design.  Several people even refused to click on my links and said they never wanted to interact with other players or they'd leave -- which really begs the question of why they'd play a social MMO.  

And that's the point, they've called it a social MMO -- not being forced to invite people to play is not the same as not interacting with others in any way.  It's a little dramatic to compare it to farmville.  It's more analogous to the economy of Eve, to the virtual worlds that MMOs used to be.  

I think you should give it a chance.  Having to sell to others via a vendor or auctions is not even the same as forced grouping: it doesn't prevent solo play.  It just creates a living---and quite interesting---economy.  You probably won't even have to talk to other players to make it work.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will there be any role for player-generated content (tl;dr version of question asked here).
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How will things like gems and musicblocks work in an entirely player run economy?

I get these things constantly in the course of my normal planting/harvesting activities, and currently sell them to retain space in my bags (I have collected a full musicblock set for fun), but without being able to sell them to vendors surely they will become worthless?
    Posted 12 years ago by Lukie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Folks, I am really excited for the changes, and grateful to Stoot for the answers.

Here's what I want to know:

1) Will levels still exist as a concept, with bonuses when you achieve them? (I hope so!)

2) I saw something above about all vendor products moving to being player created. Does that include (dun dun dun) Cubimal Boxes?

3) Will the existing badges continue to be achievable? (concerned specifically here about whether modifying your home/neighboorhood is a "street project", whether entering and exiting your home is a "teleport")

I am a little concerned about the currants to imagination conversion, as that seems to favor players who have been holding on to it just-in-case over players who said "well, since it's not good for much I might as well spend it".
    Posted 12 years ago by jello's landscaping Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Audaria — I'm not sure what to say. I am sorry you thought I'm being rude and that I "made it sound as though you were asking for a laundry list of concessions" … it certainly wasn't my intent. I was just explaining what we actually did, since the answer seems pretty obvious to me: if we were going to offer refunds forever, we would have said that instead of saying "until Dec 31st".

It's a like a sign on a store that says they are open till 9pm … theoretically, that could be true and they are also open till 10pm and 11pm and midnight … but it is much more reasonable to infer that they will be closed after 9pm.

As for not getting an answer: not everything posted in the forums will get an answer. More than 99% of tickets submitted through the help system do get resolved though, so if you need an answer, that is the way to go. (Not sure, what you meant by "email", but there was nothing submitted via the help system.)

As for "the customer is always wrong" or "Bait and Switch" … we'll just have to disagree. I stand by the way we handled it. We gave months of advanced warning that big changes were coming, we gave everyone the opportunity to get a refund if they were worried about that … and in any case it's free to play the game, so anyone could get a refund and then resubscribe again later, playing the whole time.

Finally, we're making these changes because we think they will make the game much better, deeper and much more fun. I'd be surprised if there were more than a handful of people who like Glitch now who do not like it much more six months from now.

Having said all that, I'd gladly give you a refund today. Just create a help ticket and say "stoot sent me". (However, I mean "today" specifically — not three months from now.)

Last, on Farmville and "This sure sounds to me like I will be forced to buy/trade/sell with other players in order to "advance further."  I REALLY hope I'm wrong." Well, if you mean anything like Farmville, then yes you're wrong. But if you just meant you'd have to at least indirectly interact with other players (e.g., buying their auction lots or harvesting a tree which someone else planted, etc.) then you're right, but that's not a change from what we have today (but, it is an MMO … Glitch will never be a good game for anyone who wants a completely solitary/solo experience).
  • Pascale: someday, we hope, there will be tools to allow player-created designs for furniture or clothing to make it into the game. You would be unwise to expect this before 2013 though (and you would also do well to adopt a stoic attitude towards it ever showing up: it's not an issue of whether we feel like it's a good idea … just how complicated it would be).

However, I don't think using someone else's blocks necessarily means you are a passive consumer … it totally depends on the granularity: people do some amazing stuff with extremely limited palettes in Minecraft or with Lego.

Glitch won't achieve Minecraft-esque modularity, but we are planning on adding tools for players to create some things (picture/story book items, art for house walls, music making and level creation are the leading candidates).
  • Knitomaton: "My hope is that you would continue to play because you think it's fun. If you don't think it's fun, hopefully you will after the changes!" — that's perfect: thanks! :)
  • I see Stoot answered while I was typing. Thus, deleted.
  • Lukie: "How will things like gems and musicblocks work in an entirely player run economy?"

Good question! Some of them will have new uses, some of them will be useless (but less frequent) and some might be removed altogether.
  • I like these changes, and I'm grateful to Stoot for the late night time put in answering them.  I'm imagining we can enter our home from anywhere (like a snail).  If that's the case, the capacity of our bags and our choices of what to carry with us as we travel will be much less important, since we'll have the effectively infinite capacity of our home on our backs.  And it won't be a huge deal to go back home to do daily things or harvest and re-plant crops.  Stuff like that will remove a lot of friction from the world, though I think Octo's right that it'll also reduce foot traffic in some places.

I like the idea of being able to enter the world where we last were (like leaving a party space or Hell), but it'd also be cool if we could add one or a couple of favorite streets to our signposts, sort of like our saved teleport points.  Pros: having a habitual street to exit on if they so choose could help people who crave a sense of place or have a bad sense of direction and those who want a gathered neighborhood with their buddies could get some of the effect by pseudo-anchoring their homes to the same street so they'd have a chance of running into each other when leaving home. Downside: It's a lot like a free teleport if I can just enter my home wherever I am and exit at Palsa Mosch.  Even so, I don't think it'd be bad so long as you limit how many there are and have some limit around editing so it doesn't act as a free *map* teleport or undercut your subscription/teleport token sales too much.

Later maybe a group of neighbors could get a group hall which would create even more neighborly encounters, maybe with doors back to members' homes as well as doors from home into the hall.  I'm visualizing something like a Mazzala condo building, because those are so cool, and it would be a pity for them to disappear forever.

Economy-wise, I don't mind having to buy stuff from the auction house instead of vendors, but I might hate having to sell everything via the auction house, since it takes some thought to price things and then you have to wait for it to sell to get the currants.  I think KoL's system where the game doesn't sell much but will buy almost anything back from you, usually for less than you'd get selling to other players in the mall, allows a pretty robust economy while staying fun for different types of players. You can make a lot of meat if you put some effort into the market, but if that's not your cup of tea you can get by quite comfortably just autoselling.
    Posted 12 years ago by Zauberberg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Next time I log in I'm gonna dump a bunch of Lemburgers on Stoot's in-game stoop.

^_^
    Posted 12 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • what will happen to the keys?
    Posted 12 years ago by Gwynne Subscriber! | Permalink
  • stoot - thank you for that response. I'm not going to ask for a refund today. As I said, I would have requested the refund at the time of the unlaunch if I I had NO faith in the game. Perhaps I'll wake up in the morning and kick myself for not taking you up on it, but I hope not. As for the "Bait and Switch" I won't know if I agree with you or not until the changes are made. That was kind of my point. "The customer is always wrong" remark was directed at the posters who called my post rude, not you.

I DO agree to disagree with you that you "gave months of warning that big changes were coming." What the announcement said was "...Playing Glitch will be a very similar experience to what you’ve become accustomed to over the past couple of months, except punctuated with some big changes to the fundamentals (like XP, energy and housing) and the addition of functionality that puts more creative power in your hands and allows you to have more of an impact on of the world of Glitch. To that end:..." Nothing about the economy.
  • Like Audaria I am concerned about the player-only economy interactions.  I like to sell stuff to vendors and know what it is going to fetch.  I have no RL friends who play, and I hate bargaining.

However,  I have been with the game since the start and I have heard of changes which sound dreadful before this.  Things I am sure I wouldn't like.  Things that would have spoilt it for me.  So far I am still loving it!

There are bits I don't do.  I am not at all comptetitive and don't play the games, but I am glad they are there for others.  I do interact with others and do co-operative stuff.

I trust Stoot and TS.  He has never let us down yet.  This whole social experiment (sorry, game!) has been his baby and I can't see him spoiling it now, so I am going to wait and see.  I have a feeling I will be forced into enjoying something new when it arrives. ;-)
    Posted 12 years ago by Cassandria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The more I read, the more excited I get about all this!   Jukeboxes!  Chooseable (?) backgrounds,
    wall art!  Luv it.   In the meantime, I'll just keep playing the way I've been all along and having fun.

Ooh, and thanks for the new cute achievements, a nice diversion.
    Posted 12 years ago by Phoebe Springback Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have questions but I find it difficult to find the answers.  Questions are asked and when the answers are given I have to scroll back and forth.  I have to scroll back to find the question that is being answered and then forward again to find the answer and then back...  I'm dizzy.

My question may or may not have been answered.  I have accumulated many items in my current home.  Many of these are building supplies that I might need if we have to build anything for the new houses.  Lots of foods, herbs, veggies, etc. as well are stored.  Will I lose all of this one day when I login and find I am "imagining" a new home?  You say Hoarding will be useless but it is, in fact, mostly useless now unless there is a market for it.  The recent Garden Wars have motivated me to save things I don't need in case it is needed later and similar wars make getting these things difficult.  I would like to sell it all (I need the currants) but I don't want to login and discover that I will need, say, bricks for my new home and I can't make them because the resources are being grabbed by the greedy and currant mad players.  What should I do?  Sell because I will lose it when the new system is implemented or continue to hoard it because it will be useful in House or Group Hall building.

I apologize but my imagination is nearly tapped out and I cannot imagine how this new system will work despite the many answers in this thread.
    Posted 12 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am still digesting all this info and answers from Stoot. I am quite sure I will have questions in a bit . In the meantime- I must make some comments with a question :

Stoot- I see your comments to basically say "theres an enormous amount of balancing and math to this curve on converting to Imagination system " - I just want to say please remember the long time players .
    (I"ve only been here since public Oct 2011 ) ,Many of veterans here seem to be faithful with their time, money , and beta feedbacks, helping new glitches voluntarily , etc etc.
    Please DO NOT invalidate/dis-enfranchise (dare I say dis-respect) them by making the curve favor NEW/ in-coming players more than the veterans.
    I've experienced this "leveling the playing field" type thing before in other games and it was bad every time. I'm sure you knwo this already but--- mostly the Long time players are your games dedicated fans : they spend RL money in subs and credits , they blog about your game, they invite friends and family to play (who spend more money) and they build and maintain fan sites (ie free publicity and community building) .
    Ive personally experienced ,in other places ,the wrong kind of field leveling that alienated the loyal veteran player base and a majority of those players left the game and the game was seriously, adversely affected in the short and much longer term. I've heard similar stories from my friends that played games that I never did play - as well. Seems many companies get this field leveling thing wrong.
    I 'm just asking - Please keep that in mind when you are working on the curve ratios? thanks.
    Posted 12 years ago by serenitycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was hoping at least the Tool Vendor would continue to buy my items so that I'd have the currants to buy stuff I needed from other players. :p
    I am extremely disappointed that we'll be forced to find actual player -buyers for our items if we want to sell them, or donate (?) to shrines to get some kind of return on otherwise useless items.  Still, I'm overall very excited and happy about the upcoming changes. :>
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Miso George - I have heard nothing about having to find our own buyers. It sounds to be more like an expansion of the auction house function. We offer things - people who want them have the chance to buy. I don't see Glitchen walking down the street calling out "new lamps for old, new lamps for old."
    Posted 12 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Brib Annie who said "Will I lose all of this one day when I login and find I am "imagining" a new home?": I too was worried about this very thing! But stoot answered it WAAAAAY back on the first page and he said: 

you don't need to worry about moving your stuff — that will all be automatic.
    Posted 12 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • No vendors?  Buy from other players?  Say it ain't so!  I have very rarely purchased from the Auctions because most items are way overpriced or at least priced much more than I want to pay.  I sell to Vendors at a loss because I do not want to participate in the Auctions.  The very few times I have sold at Auction, I sold for value or even a little less.  Other auctioneers do not appreciate this and I understand.  I only sold out of need not for huge profit.  I auctioned the produce I needed to auction for a Quest and, if I remember right, I sold 2 or 3 other items when I had an urgent need for some currants.  I really do not want to sell at Auction or at my own store.  I am just not interested in operating a business or buying overpriced items from other players.

I am very anxious to see the new features introduced.  Some of the rumors have me worried about buying, selling, houses, etc. have me on edge and I feel like I am sitting in the waiting room at the dentist.  Please end the agony "SOON"!
    Posted 12 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ... maybe if enough of us speak out against it, they won't eliminate *all* the vendor buying...?

/hopeful!
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Too many words for me to read up in this piece...

#1 Stoot, thank you for taking the time and talking to all these Glitches about new stuff when you didn't even have to really reveal any of this.

#2 Sounds like a whole lot of cool stuff on the way. I like cool stuff. I'll be sticking around and not asking for a refund. From what I've seen so far, I have faith that you guys will come up with some crazy, amazing things.

#3 Don't really have anything for a #3, but I felt like typing it. :-)
    Posted 12 years ago by OPP Subscriber! | Permalink