Topic

Staff Topic

The official shutdown thread …

Glitch is closing. The details are here: www.glitch.com/closing/

We will do our best to answer everyone's questions (but please take a moment to read the announcement and FAQ before jumping in). Information on refunds is here: www.glitch.com/closing/refu...

Over the next few weeks we'll going to be releasing all kinds of things that were saved for later, nearly-done, previously-shelved or are in various states of design. We will do our best to help everyone get the most of the time which remains — you've all been given (or will shortly be given) 2,500 credits and a free subscription.

New signups and payments are now closed.

I feel sick.

[Edited to add, a few hours later]: I feel much better. Thank you everyone, for all the love! Amazing, beautiful and touching.

Posted 11 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25 26
  • Oh, I can't believe this.  I have been in this game for almost two years, and it will be heartbreaking to lose it.  Thanks for all the fun.  I wish it wasn't true :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Tradescantia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There really are no words except… thank you. To each and every one of you. It's been a journey.

- Kump (Matt)
    Posted 11 years ago by Kump Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am crying. Hard. So very, very sorry and I will miss Glitch beyond words. This was my refuge from bad things but the bad things seem to have found me. =( Prayers and best wishes to TS, and thank you for all that you've done.
    Posted 11 years ago by TransplantedEntwife Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you Tiny Speck. Love you guys. (damn, this means I'm never going to get my tiara.) xoxoxo
    Posted 11 years ago by girlhacker Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am feeling FS de ja vu...

Haven't always enjoyed every aspect of this game (as is known from my posts in the forums though many of them from my alts)...but it has been a great place to come and relax and forget about RL cares for a while.  I will miss my close group of friends that I had here.  I will miss the team that built this.  I will miss so much of the lovely art.

I am sad there really is no alternate place to land.  This was a good recovery place for the FS refugees...however, not sure where the Glitch refugees will be able to go...

I hope the best for the staff. Knowing you guys, the core team should have something else up their sleeves...some other non-violent, glitchy MMO that doesn't use flash maybe? 

I especially hope that elf gets his onion rings...

Blessings to you all - the devs and the players...
    Posted 11 years ago by b3achy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm wicked sad about this =\

I was way more into Glitch than my friends, both the ones that told me about it and the ones that made it their life for a hot minute. I supported both when I couldn't really afford it and while i didn't have internet because this was such an amazing idea and i wanted it to succeed.

There were so many cool things...mostly drugs and alcohol, but also an amazing, amusing uncensored community comprised mostly of not children. I remember how excited I was when I got my first bog house and when I was slaving over a cauldron after PM came out...and when imagination first happened... very bittersweet.

legit question for stoot: At what point did you know that you were going to have to shut the game down?
    Posted 11 years ago by MarbhDamhsa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So bummed Glitch wasn't able to sustain itself. But we had fun while it lasted. Hats off to a great concept and creative team!
    Posted 11 years ago by Bodhi Sattva Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Giants this is terrible.  I wish something could be done - as a player without too much money I had often thought if there was say a $5 a month option with no credits and maybe just access to the clothes and furniture I would have bought it.

I guess it's final if you've put up an announcement.  But it's been wonderful and if there is any chance at all of a financial contribution helping, I would be totally on board - say moving to a subscription-based system only, or a Kickstarter to get you back on track.

At the same time I can understand how the pending death of Flash is going to be a major problem.  You've build the entire game in it and you'd have to redo - I can't even fathom how difficult it would be.

I'm so sad to see it go.  But please if there is anything any of us can do to help, anything at all, please let your community know.

And you didn't fail us.  You gave us something beautiful and I for one am forever thankful.
    Posted 11 years ago by Space Core Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lately, I made the remark to a friend that Glitch has been one of the very few bright and shining things in my life over the past year or two. She had watched me go through it all, so she knew that I was telling the truth.

I know I wrote something a few months ago that detailed my love and gratitude for Glitch, but I'm not sure if I really got the whole message across. Or if I really said that you're all my friends somehow, as crazy as it sounds. All the players, all the devs, every Giant and rock and piggy. 

When I would awake from nightmares and couldn't calm myself down to go back to sleep, I'd play Glitch. Glitch was another world where my stalker could never find me. This summer when my epilepsy landed me in the hospital for ten days, I played Glitch. Because Glitch was a different reality where I wasn't hooked up to IVs and EEG lines. When my job fired me because of my epilepsy, I was mad. But Glitch let me cry on its collective shoulder and kept me sane on those long days that stretched -- and still stretch -- into loneliness and a sense of hopeless uselessness.

Maybe Glitch was an escape, but it was an escape I sorely needed. An escape from my fear of meeting new people, from my thunderstorm brain that I can no longer trust, from an empty bank account. I was safe in Glitch. I didn't feel safe anywhere else -- if that makes any sense.

I'm crying right now because it's slowly sinking in that Glitch won't be around for much longer. I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't know what the Glitch Diaspora will bring. My heart aches for the uncertainty -- where will everyone go? 

I'm honestly crying too hard to finish this -- and I don't cry all that often. Just, thank you everyone for everything.
    Posted 11 years ago by girlthulhu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am utterly devastated by today's news that Glitch is closing the doors to Ur. Please pass along my condolences to the team. Thank you all for being brave enough to bring your vision to life.

This gamer will miss Glitch dearly.
    Posted 11 years ago by Scapes Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I always wondered when I was going to play Glitch on my iPad, it always seemed like so much work to have to play it on a laptop... but I guess I never will.  It's a shame that all this vibrant world is being thrown away with (what appears to be) almost no effort made to port it to an iOS or Android app.

Once you're on a tablet/smart phone, the loading screen between zones seem like a perfect place for ads (there's so much free screen screen space on them as it is)... and with IAP, the credits could be bought directly from the app and billed to the phone (rather than a 4-click system to buy credits in the browser).  Given how quickly ideas turn into apps on the iOS and Android marketplaces, I can't imagine this would've required more than a month given that all the graphics, text, and ideas already exist... why not give it a try?

While we're on ads, I never have seen a sponsored product in this game.  I see "Monster Beverage" as an item in various Facebook games, clearly a promotion for Monster energy drinks, but they never appeared here.

Speaking of Facebook... I always wondered why this didn't have a Facebook portal.  It has all the right things for a Facebook game -- all your achievements and levels could be posted automatically to your wall -- but, for whatever reason, this game was always on its own little site all by itself.  (Unlike iOS/Android, Facebook doesn't even require anyone to rewrite it... just embed it in a frame and call it good.)

In my mind, these things directly monetize the game immediately... and even if someone says that sponsored items or in-game ads would "ruin" the game, a "ruined" game for one person is far better than no game at all for everyone.
    ...I imagine these were all discussed, even if we never saw any of them tried.

It was fun for the past year or so playing this game off and on... it will be missed.  <3
    Posted 11 years ago by Xarabydun Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks to Stewart and the whole team, everyone involved, thank you for all your hard work and efforts. :(
    Posted 11 years ago by cmpx Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you, TinySpeck, for bringing to life the most brilliant, sweet, imaginative, fun, and addictive game I've played in a very long time. This game has been the absolute most fun that I've had for the past 16 months. I have loved and labored over it. I have found love while playing it. I have lost sleep and missed meals over it. I have made so many wonderful friends while playing it.

To say I'll miss Glitch would be an enormous understatement. I am truly saddened and devastated by the announcement of Glitch closing for good in December. All good things must come to an end, but I always thought Glitch would endure. I never dreamed that Glitch would be but a blip on my radar. 

I can't say goodbye... I think everyone here - community and staff alike - are phenomenal!

xoxo - CS
    Posted 11 years ago by CoffeeSnob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really want to say this...I haven't been an active player for a loooong time...just came back in the last while with a big bunch of good RL friends...and now everything feels like Faunasphere all over again. It's really shocking.  I loved this place, and now I'm going to miss Glitch so much :(

I guess it was really ambitious to do this after what happened to FS. I've never really liked this type of MMO--or anything that got too big of a community where I couldn't remember everyone's names. But FS, and now Glitch, were firsts. I really hate seeing this happen, and everyone must be feeling the same way.

All the changes, the new maps and streets that I would explore, like Jal or Naraka...I just don't know what to say :CCC It was amazing. Every moment of it that lasted. Later, my brain will probably realize what all of this means, and I'll be crying into a pillow. 

But for now, good luck to you all, especially the staff. I hope everyone will enjoy this last month.
    Posted 11 years ago by Halomarch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "You have $224.88 in payments which are eligible for a refund."

I have had a hell of a lot more than $224.88 worth of entertainment in the past year since I found Glitch. Enjoy a drink on me, guys, and thank you for the fun.

I will miss this game terribly.
    Posted 11 years ago by Perion Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for all your work and for having a dream that we could all share in.
    Posted 11 years ago by nautical Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks so much for everything; I've been here less because my new job has kept me super-busy, but I loved this game. It's really the only MMO I ever played, and I don't think anything will measure up to how much fun it was to be an explorer in such a fantastic world. Thank you all.
    Posted 11 years ago by Cantaloupe Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I honestly thought this was a late April Fool's joke.  I just...can't believe it.  My friends and I came over from Tinier Me and it's just - I love this game so do they.  There's no violence and it's so relaxing that I've literally spent an entire day playing it without doing anything else.

For the short experience that I had though, it was amazing and I hope you guys come back with another game.  Good luck to the staff, you deserve it <3
    Posted 11 years ago by Camyz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hate to be in denial, but I just cant suck myself away from the forum after the update.

Please please, consider if we all paid. Put up a survey or option if you must to see what the outcome is...but I believe most people here would happily pay a subscription to keep the game alive. things are different if players dont know they will lose the game...but with this news, Im sure many more would rally to help save glitch. 

Give us a chance to prove it? Just say how.
    Posted 11 years ago by Rawthorne Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can barely see through tears to write this - that's not a reaction I've had before to the cancellation of anything. 

The world's been a better place with Glitch in it. You haven't failed: you've brought joy and love to a lot of people for years. Thank you so much. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Kaseido Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am really sad. Also, kind of in denial. 

What I really want to say is THANK YOU. Thank you, Tiny Speckians. Thank you fellow Glitchen. Thank you for creating and giving and participating and conjuring up this lovely place. The amount of creativity and good-heartedness... I have loved every minute of it. You TS people are creative in a way that I find continuously inspiring. Thank you for creating this and showing us the craziness of your minds (and your hearts).

I really love Gitch. And I really appreciate all the hard work that went into it. I will talk about Glitch for years to come.

You people are amazing.
    Posted 11 years ago by emdot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There are no words for how much this game means to me. My cousin, who lives in Washington, and I are always looking for games where we can have fun together and chat. When my friend first told me about this game, I thought it sounded interesting, and once I started playing it I couldn't stop. I never stopped talking about it to my parents, who asked me how my pigs were doing, and they both were amused and impressed by the game. I play it with a lot of my friends, and have met a lot of fantastic people on here.
    This game is unlike any other that I've seen- the people, the graphics, the thoughts that go into this game are phenomenal, and I'm sad to see it go. I wish there was something we could do to keep it up, as I can't imagine anyone not wanting to play this brilliant game. Good luck in life to everyone, especially the staff members, and thank you for bringing us this game for the time it was here.
    Posted 11 years ago by Chillykins Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :*(
    Posted 11 years ago by Gadzooks Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh no!  Such sad, bad news.  I have thoroughly enjoyed exploring Ur, and attempting to explain it to my friends.  Gonna miss you all.  Thank you Tiny Speck for all the good times!
    Posted 11 years ago by Gaalen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dear TS team, thank you for having created such a hilariously strange, off-kilter, beautifully ridiculous and terribly fantastic world filled with punning trees, partying pigs, and so so much heart. I love you for it and wish you all the best. I will miss this game very much and am so sorry that it has to go.

Sincerely,
    Your piggie loving, spice plant petting, sparkly picking fan. 

P.S. Keep imagining and carry on! 
    Posted 11 years ago by hermitthekrab Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well... this blows.
    I really loved this game :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Sinsario Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I will miss this game, the community, and all the memories I've made while in it. I wasn't always the most social of persons, but what people I did meet were the sweetest and kindest of any gaming community I've ever been in. Glitch did something no other game has for me, made me feel like I wasn't going to be attacked for doing something wrong. I'll miss every tree I've petted. 

Thank you Tiny Speck, thank you so much.
    Posted 11 years ago by Ristretto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, I know this car has already done crashed, but....

Is there ANY way we can get a miracle Glitchmas? Maybe around a belated Splanksgiving? Some kind of send off.
    Posted 11 years ago by needlehabit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • And now the loading music is the ringtone on my phone. Even though every time it rings I will feel sadness, it will be also a reminder of all the fun that I have had with Glitch.

Saying so long but not goodbye. And thanks and good luck to everybody, players and staff!
    Posted 11 years ago by Andrew Tobolsky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I fell in love with this game the moment I set foot in Ur. The witty characters and dialogue was just too much to handle sometimes, and I could always count on the game to make me feel better when I needed it.

This game was the highlight of my life when I lived back in South Caronlina; I will never remember that endeavor without also remembering the comfort and relaxation I felt playing this game. <3

I wish it wasn't so! I wish there was something we could still do. Good luck to you guys! I'll miss this game so much. ;__;
    Posted 11 years ago by Asys Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Now that I'm coherent: hugs to all of you, TS. 

I have been cranky and critical on the forums for the past week or so, and I just want to put out there that it was *because* I love this game like cake, and I am not a very tactful person.  The fact that Ur is a cohesive, seamless -- well, at least the Seams are well hidden -- beautiful and immersive world makes me happy down to my toes, which is the only reason I get a little yappy when my immersion is broken.

I still want to live in Cauda (or possibly Tamila, or Folivoria...)

So.  Have my $37 and my love.  You're all brill.
    Posted 11 years ago by Annuska Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Also, could we all have one final singalong to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkkIwO_X4i4

Start wearing purple, wearing purple
    Start wearing purple for me nooooow
    Posted 11 years ago by girlthulhu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh gee. This is such sad news. Please, keep the money I paid for playing, pay your staffers for work well done. The only thing that I ask is maybe we get the chance to download all the beautiful music in a lump file... all the musicblocks and the conch music... and the amazing background tracks that we loved to hear. Goodness knows I could idle in areas just to hear the music.

Pretty please?
    Posted 11 years ago by Eveshka Subscriber! | Permalink
  • From it's first baby steps in early Alpha to the bionic leaps it takes today, Glitch has been an utter joy. Thanks Stuart and the whole gang for an amazing couple of years. I've met such lovely, sweet, generous and wacky-fun people.  Hope we shall all meet again somewhere.
    Posted 11 years ago by Chelseathing Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you all for your hard work, your dedication, and your amazing creativity. There was so much love for the world of Glitch evident in the art, the music, the gameplay, and y'all are probably the nicest bunch of devs and support staff ever to boot. I wish you all the best in the world.

(Also, I know I don't know the whole story, but I suspect there are some venture capitalists out there right now with whom I would like to have Some Words.)
    Posted 11 years ago by Ella Minnow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stewart and all Tiny Speck staff, I'm so sorry for you, this must have been a terribly difficult decision.  Thank you for creating a wonderful, beautiful, friendly and fun world that I have been fortunate enough to enjoy for over a year.  Your game fostered a fabulous community, and I loved its cooperative rather than competitive nature.    
    Posted 11 years ago by liln Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is heartbreaking :'( I've thoroughly enjoyed this game and will always remember it. I wanna thank you TS team for everything you've done, you've given me many hundreds of hours entertainment and I can't think of how else I could've spent it and had this much fun.
    As for everyone I've met, had a hearty conversation with and passed in the streets of Ur, thankyou and I'll miss you and the community!

Good luck for wherever the community ends up! But as for this moment, i'm gonna enjoy my last month as best I can!
    Posted 11 years ago by Britt_39 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Put me down as another person who was kept alive and sane by Glitch, even if I've only been playing for a month or so. Thank you so much for creating this wonderful world.
    Posted 11 years ago by Curiona Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had a terrible terrible day and I came home to this.

AGAIN.

I am sad.  And angry.  I poured a lot into this game, even though GNE broke my heart, even though y'alls didn't tell me you were putting The Real Game up until after some folks had been playing it for a year and more.  And you broke my heart again.

p.s. after a couple hours to calm down -- still sad, not angry at *you*.  You know I love you guys, right?
    Posted 11 years ago by Fnibbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you, Tiny Speck, for the honour of living inside your imaginations for a little while. It was a dream ... the best dream. I wake up with a smile on my face. Thank you.
    Posted 11 years ago by Cygnoir Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I feel let down, but not by Stoot and the devs and other staffers. This has been an amazing ride all the way and I will miss everyone and everything about it. Sad, sad.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mollie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Very sad news... The Glitch community has been so amazing, and it was a great experience while it lasted...

Thank you to everyone (players and staff) who have made this game so awesome.
    Posted 11 years ago by Varaeth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm so sorry to hear the news. I wish I were an Angel Investor and could throw bags of money at you, or that I were still a tech recruiter so I could help all of the Tiny Speck team find great places to land.

You accomplished something really cool and innovative in the world of gaming and I hope you're proud of yourselves.

I also wish I had some words of comfort for your team. This has to be a crummy day. I'm so sorry.
    Posted 11 years ago by Gomi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm going to miss this game so very, very much...but I'll miss you wonderful people at TS even more!
    The humor, beautiful art work and all of the cool things that we could collect and do, are memories that I'll cherish forever - but without y'all I would have never known any of it.
    So HUGE (((HUGS))) to my most favorite thing about Glitch, the awesome Glitch team!!

Hopefully, we'll meet again on some other wonderful thing that you've created. <3 <3 <3
    Posted 11 years ago by sgjo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Awwww.  :(

Thank you for sharing your world with us.
    Posted 11 years ago by sadiekate Subscriber! | Permalink
  • TS has been a bright, shining exemplar of how a company can interact with its customers. Well done, Stoot & Co.

I'm very sorry to hear that Glitch is not sustainable. While I've drifted away from playing in the last month or two, I thought that the game would continue to grow and thrive—even if it wasn't catering precisely to MY needs, expectations, or desires. 

The community created by developers and players is magnificent. The evolving glitchy ethos has been delightful. I honor the artists and all the creatives & coders who made Ur so beautiful. I hope that the impulses behind TS and Glitch will not fade away altogether, but somehow find rebirth in another new and wonderful enterprise.

And on a personal note: without Glitch, I wouldn't have met Ooola and Lyell, and that would have been very sad.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Tiny Speck and Glitch, 

I will miss this game more than almost anything. I dont play games online, but I love this one. I got my roommate and my Girlfriend to start playing it and they both love it. It is very sad to see this all thrown out the window with almost no effort (though I know you have all spent countless hours (days??) trying to find a way to get it to work). It seems to me that you had one basic problem, there was no real reason to Subscribe except for upgraded clothes and furniture, which is not really what the game is about (to me at least). I agree with many on here that Ads might have been a way to save you, as would be facebook (though thats its own problem with too many people and even more lag most likely).

What I would have liked to see is a game with a huge world, that you can go and just spend hours in and lose yourself, you can talk to people from across the world and make new friends, and the game is just a portal into that. This is what you made. The only way I can see that you could have saved it is to offer something better for a subscription (such as monthly Subscriber only Quests, or other more tangible in-game perks for the dollars) as Clothes and Furniture upgrades did not seem worth the $5 a month for me. However I was truly going to subscribe come Christmas anyways to support a truly fantastic game that you have graciously allowed me and my friends to play for free for over a year. Everyone I have talked to has said that a month free trial to get them hooked was all they'd need to be willing to pay something like $2 a month to keep playing, without any perks. 

However I digress, I will miss this game. I feel more sad and hurt by this than I probably should, but I know that I will never be able to find a game as great as this ever again. I will keep looking but this combination of fun, great people and randomness; though I will most likely not ever find it =(

I wish everyone at Tiny Speck the best of luck in finding new work, This is truly a double blow to all of you. I look forward to seeing what new "Chat technologies" Tiny Speck will come up with, and please know that just including that name will likely get everyone who ever played Glitch to use it, keep that fact close and know we will all be looking for Glitch to be revived, so if you ever get that crazy idea again, please go for it...
    Posted 11 years ago by WxFisch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch was beyond my wildest dreams. I hadn't even thought it possible to find such a community online and assumed my days of having a 'home' game were long since over. Stumbling into Glitch and all the people who are a part of Ur was like discovering chocolate again for the first time.

I'm so sorry for all of us that this has not worked out. Beyond sorry. Sign me up for mailing lists, petitions to reality against this sadness, financial backing of future projects -- anything.
    Posted 11 years ago by Payday Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am just heartbroken.  I heard about this game from a distant friend, checked it out, waited months for a beta invite, and promptly fell in love.  I spent more on it than I did on any other online game ever, F2P or not (too early for a refund, but I'm not worried).  I was overjoyed to hear some of the talent that was coming on board to help make Glitch.

I'll miss every little scrap of dialog from every tree, rock, dirt pile, creature, critter, and foe.  I'll miss a chat with a sense of camaraderie and an unspoken generosity from players.  I'll miss having a game where I can be more queer than myself, rather than just another armored doofus hitting monsters over and over.

I'll miss you, Glitch.  I hope Tiny Speck has many more surprises for us in the future!
    Posted 11 years ago by Puckish Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is the best game I've ever seen on the Internet. I'm so depressed :( This just sucks so much, and I hope something is done to prevent this :( Glitch is the best way to escape reality and everything, and now it's gone :(((
    Posted 11 years ago by Finley Linker Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25 26