Topic

Is there any point to the subway now?

With the addition of the new area, I wonder who will still bother to use the subway. Do people only use it to get badges now?

Posted 12 years ago by Reirei Umezaki Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I've been using the subway to get around - I like it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The subway goes to way more than 6 regions.
    Posted 12 years ago by Shepherdmoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah I think if you use both together you can cover pretty much the whole world.  I think shim shiri or whatever it's called branches out to a lot of the places that the subway doesn't reach.
    Posted 12 years ago by Horakely Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It doesn't require me to go through butts?

Really, after you get full teleportation and writing, there is no big point to the subway.
    Posted 12 years ago by QuinnR Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I use it mostly to get badges but I also do stuff while I'm waiting.    Sometimes I use it to make the rounds for shrine donations
    Posted 12 years ago by Treesa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I use it to deliver ImaginatUr issue updates :)
    Posted 12 years ago by ennuienta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Subway and Asslandia cover different regions. Also, the subway is on the pop-up map making it more useful from that POV. 

TP is great unless you play in a long stretch and suddenly find yourself wanting to go somewhere with no map ports left for the day. Then it's back to hoofing it :)
    Posted 12 years ago by M<3tra, obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love the subway. It will be sad if they removed it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kurtie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I use the subway when I've maxed my TPs for the day. I love it!
    Posted 12 years ago by Dr. Babycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The subway is cheap and inconvenient, bit like me really but useful at the end of the day when you're almost out and don't want to refuel before calling it quits.
    Posted 12 years ago by Benzyl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hmm, the subway doesn't require you to walk through a dark, claustrophobic feces factory between the front door and the red button?
    Posted 12 years ago by dm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • They complement each other nicely: In regions where rail service is not available, we can take the butts.
    Posted 12 years ago by E D D I E Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm kind of sad there's no dinosaur in Jal.  But, then, I sort of expect that region to have something like a whale or sea monster that takes you some place completely different.
    Posted 12 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I remember at some point, one of the devs mentioning that eventually they wanted to replace the subway with something else.... I suspect this is probably a step in that direction. I suspect we'll either get more dinos later or they'll find some other way to connect more regions
    Posted 12 years ago by Fern Connelly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I will say that the central station is a better than the sequential line of the subway...now to have them added to the map
    Posted 12 years ago by M<3tra, obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love the subway and have always been sad that lack of development and expansion made it nearly useless.
    Posted 12 years ago by Colette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1!  I like the subway.  Revamp yes, retire no.
    Posted 12 years ago by Annuska Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had a friend joining not long ago . and, yes, the subway works - that is how newbies get around at first . as far as badges .. hmm . dunno, I wouldn't do them, the badges, I mean .. too boring.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lellie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm another who loves the subway and would be sad to see it go.  It's stylish in its own way.
    Posted 12 years ago by LinnesetFox Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's the best way to meet people new to the game! Other than that, it's a relic of a simpler time...
    Posted 12 years ago by N2ZOrtolanaBlue Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I use the subway a lot! It is a nice place to go when you don't know where to go :)
    Posted 12 years ago by acreditando Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I use the subway and will continue to use the subway unless there is no other way to get to a specific location.  I plan to avoid the new travel method completely, if possible.
    Posted 12 years ago by Talaria Wingfoot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Any fashion we have to get around Ur sans teleports is a good thing, IMO.

I also do not mind hoofing it, because, hey, QQs.

What is the point of anything in this game, would be my question.  I love the fact that if there is any "point," it's one we've defined for ourselves.
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I also walk a lot, unless I really want to be on the other side of the map immediately for a particular reason- trips to level four east happen a lot for example
    Posted 12 years ago by Fern Connelly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for having the dino heads added to the map!

+1 for revamping, rather than retiring the subway!  It would be nice if the subway stations had more going on inside them.  An IRL subway station would have shops or at least a newspaper stand, so maybe the stations could have small crop gardens and some paper trees?  Maybe a coffee machine, or an "ice machine" with a single nubbin for scraping.
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Portinari Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Miss Portinari for more things at stations.

When I was young there were lots of vending machines on stations, wonderful mechanical machines that you could buy sweets and chocolate from.   We also had platform ticket machines, would be great if we could collect tickets from each station or something like that.   
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yessss. Subway stations would be an ideal place for the game ticket machines, perhaps GoC booths since they've vanished from upper Ur, maybe a specialized vendor a la Ilmenskie, bulletin boards.... a crab wouldn't be out of place here and there, kind of like a reverse busker.  And that's just stuff that already exists!
  • I love the subway! For 50 currants I get to chill for a few minutes and meditate.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dorothy Gale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes!  The Subway goes to more places in a less disgusting but rather more boring way.  I seldom use the Subway as I prefer to walk around Ur (I have all the sub Badges).  If I am in a hurry, I teleport.  The Dino-ports are funny even though I am put off a bit by the ASSinine manner of travel.  I was just a little disappointed that there was not more to this.  I had expected that maybe we would have to jump on the blocks which were the same color as the Dino we planned to be sucked into or maybe even something more devious.  After all, there is no charge for this transport so perhaps it could stand to be a bit more complicated.

The Art?  I am surprised to read some of the comments.  Of course the Art fits!  Why should it not?  The world of Ur is creative and beautiful and diverse.  I love all of the art!  The art is what kept me here on my first day when I was keyboard challenged and considered not continuing.  On that day I loved the Meadow, the beautiful art there was reminiscent of Faunasphere for me.  The gameplay I was not so sure of but then I saw IX and that did it, I had to come back.  Now almost two years later I am still coming back.  No, a little Ass transport is not even the least deterrent.  I don't expect to use it often, if ever again, but it has it's place.  It may grow on you but, if you don't like it, just don't go there.
    Posted 12 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Since Shim Shiri only connects outlying regions without subway service, the subway is essential for those Glitchen who can't teleport to get around in the more central regions. Imagine being a new player again, without teleport skills: do you really want to have to walk all the way across the middle of Ur?

To address those who don't like Shim Shiri, for whatever reason: Luckily, it only connects outlying regions so using it isn't a necessity for most game play--yet.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kip Konner Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i like the subway, and i have some teleportation but set one of my points at a subway so i can get to more places. it's irritating waiting for it to get going (a couple of minutes in game seems like a year) but i use that time to reorganize my bags, auction items, etc. (or eating my lunch, since i don't need two hands on the keyboard!)

of course, i've lived in boston for more than a decade where the subway is slow, inconvenient, overpriced, with no stands or vendors etc, so maybe to me this seems like a massive upgrade :p
    Posted 12 years ago by jerk nugget Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Keep the subway please - I love the ads there and while I'm going places I can cook/grind/tune. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Saphy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love the company of the subway when I go with friends. I like jumping around and even do some cooking/meditating.  I have all the badges, but I still enjoy going once in a while :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Jessenya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like taking the subway when I'm more interested in the journey than my destination.
    Posted 12 years ago by Anaglyph Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The subway connects a lot of worthwhile places at a cost much less than your TP cost.  It still needs to be expanded out to some outlying areas.  Asslandia connects areas I have no real interest in, so I personally was disappointed.    There's still no Andra love. 
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree with WalruZ, the subway should be expanded. Keep the main loop, but connect some new spurs to it.
    Posted 12 years ago by dm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would be all for a re-vamping of the subway system for sure! I don't think it should be got rid of entirely. I have T5 powers, but I still use the subway. I think a "grand central station" idea is good too.
    Posted 12 years ago by Ladyceres Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like having the subway when I have used up all my teleportation 
    sometimes if I am running low on energy I pop onto the subway and just meditate 
    Posted 12 years ago by Deus Marionette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes!
    Posted 12 years ago by snygyst Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Perhaps the late, lamented street construction projects can be reimagined as subway extension projects.
    Posted 12 years ago by Teem Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes. Badges!!!!!! I love badges!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Coley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the subway, i don't use it often anymore. But it has its place, for those out of teleports for the game day, and those that cant teleport yet. And i like that you can do other things while you wait. Expanding it would be a good idea. But things like a vending machine or newstand, foodcart, would be nice.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • as others have confirmed above, the subway stops and asslandia stops are in different locations, so yes, there is still a point
    Posted 12 years ago by Arietty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Come to think of it, a couple of subway stations could have hidden and/or locked doors that led to secret back passages to... the back passages.

"You got your dinosaurs in my urban exploration!"  "You got your urban exploration in my dinosaurs!"
  • I sure hope the dinos dont replace subways!  I've tried them, and wont again.  Just don't find it funny.  Good thing I can teleport.
    Posted 12 years ago by Phoebe Springback Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Much as teleport is convenient, I've always enjoyed using the subway.
    Posted 12 years ago by Woochi Subscriber! | Permalink