Topic

Where do we go now - after GLITCH and FAUNASPHERE.??

Like many other players here, l was a FAUNASPHERE player. FS closed down after 2 years for similar reasons, and luckily we could take refuge here in Glitch.
So now we all have to experience another close down of a game we loved so much.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative game like Glitch?
l realy hope so, so many of us can meet in another game.

Wouldn't that be great?

Posted 12 years ago by Lucysixty6 Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I'm really sad to see this wonderfully humorous game go. :( My computer can't handle large download games, so Glitch was a sweet little browser-bit of fun.

I'm going to keep following this thread, and hope that I can find some more of this community in another game.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kebechet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd suggest IMVU

Its not a game, but its sort of a virtual reality without the complications of Secondlife.

The avatars are grotesquely sexualized and stereotyped and the 3d world is a nuisance (I like 2d) but maybe we can hope Tiny Speck will come out with something similar so that we can have our awesome/cheeky/ironic  Glitch Art back?   

One can hope...
    Posted 12 years ago by Treesa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • some one explain to me why all these super stupid looking, obnoxiously 3D, grindy games are still up and running while GLITCH IS DYING???? 

fuck the unwashed, unintelligent masses. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Papa Legba Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I will probably burrow myself back into my text RP game and WoW and LotRO. I enjoy all those as much as Glitch, but for different reasons, and none of them can fill Glitch's shoes. Or rather, the gaping chasm in my soul that will be left by Glitch.
    Posted 12 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • www.imvu.com/

Who says a game has to be a game with rules and competition or that  a chat room has to be in a separate category  called a "chat room"?   We're still in a golden age so far as social networking/gaming is concerned and still making it all up as we go along.    I don't like seeing things forced into pre-defined categories before their time.
    Posted 12 years ago by Treesa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll put in another vote for Travians (with an s) www.travians.com

Travians (with an s) has very similar graphics to Travian (without an s) but totally different gameplay.

Travian (without an s) is a vicious no holds-barred village management and warfare game. In my experience of trying it three or four times newbies are ruthlessly pillaged and their structures destroyed. It is therefore the exact opposite of Glitch.

Travians (with an s) has no viciousness. It mainly revolves around helping various NPC's by solving fairly simple puzzles and quests, and thereby opening up more of the world to explore. There's a player versus player combat arena but as far as I can recollect it's optional and the fights are non-destructive and only have very simple cartoon violence. As I recollect the plot takes about eighteen months to work through. You can decorate your house if you wish, and it has guilds which human players can join but I never investigated how they work. It's browser based, free to play (but I think some house decorations might involve a real world payment). It also features a pig :)
    Posted 12 years ago by John259 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If you like something very unique try out  The Endless Forest.

I will give a heads up, there is no talking whatsoever. At least the last time I played. Basically you are a deer type creature and you age and roam around and interact with others with body language. There are no real goals that I've found, you can do things like collect things to put on your antlers, but mostly it's about exploring and interacting without a voice. I find it very relaxing to go to when I've had enough of typical MMO's. 

And like others I've played Mabinogi. I could be wrong on this, as I haven't gotten that far, but there are things you can do in it that you don't have to fight and still have a good time. One of my characters is a strict musician (I myself have been a musician since I was 5, so it really appeals to me). You can write your own music and actually play it in game for others to hear on a variety of instruments. That is really what draws me to Mabinogi.

I'll have to give some of these that were suggested a go. My first MMO was also City of Heroes (my husband and I actually met each other in game ^_^  so I was particularly sad to see that one go), and now this :(  I'm hoping maybe TS is working on another MMO for the future for us all to enjoy.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sanwei Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well for a quick fix of a game that's non-violent but fun Harvest Moon 3D A New Begining just came out on the Nintendo 3DS. It's a lot of fun and while the main game is solo play it does have a limited multiplayer mode. It's probably about the closest thing to Glitch in terms of gameplay you'll find and yes in this one you do get to choose your avatar's look, even change hair and clothes as the game progresses. Overall it's a fun game. Those of you getting refunds can use the extra money to get it..... We'd need a Harvest Moon thread here to share friend codes though if we want to multiplayer together.

If someone were ambitious enough a multiplayer Minecraft Glitch server could be created. Heck we could even incorporate Glitch elements into the Minecraft world.....

Another game I've got my eye on is called ArcheAge. Won't be out for probably more than a year but it's being called a sandbox MMORPG. You get to plop down a house and farm anywhere in the world you want. Guilds can build castles and naval vessels. Overall looking like a fun game.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dreadd Jester Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, I too want to know why the ugly dumb games are alive and our beloved Glitch is dying. T_T I hate gross graphics. I hate losing my friends. Bah. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Daffodilette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok guys....ive done some research.Keeping in mind to make it a browser game...or try to...and Free to Play Model..
    .i already actively play http://www.transformice.com/.....which is an Browser MMO of Lemmings for simple explanation. 1 world with many many rooms, F2P , can make privagte groups - Tribes

http://www.puppetguardian.com/ Game is a F2P MMORPG, Browser Game, one world, (there is a seprate aditional site for the Japanese version, this is the English version site)lots of crafting , 

Has a subscriber option, $5,a month, great community, BTW the owner / designer is the person who made Howl's Moving CastleI

F2P, and this next one is pretty ideal..text game but very quirky, humorous and fun. Only text game thats held my attention: Ridiculous scenarios based on a choose your own adventure style game model -  also mostly adults
    http://www.nationstates.net/
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have played Onverse for almost two years and it has some great features -- a variety of residences to buy or build. You can use game points or real money to buy or build residences (a variety, from penthouses to forest cottages, castle towers to estates) in several different regions. You can get clothes and accessories (free ones as well as those you buy) and customize your avatar, sit, run, dance, fly. There are all kinds of vehicles, from broomsticks and animals (horses, panthers, etc.) to snazzy cars and hoverboards. There's zapping for player points with which to buy stuff or you can purchase credits. You can play free or get a subscription or just buy some credits. The graphics are beautiful. There also are feats and games. The downside? A very juvenile community. Some more mature types, but they don't talk as much! Mod support is excellent. I'd still ike to find something like Glitch, though. Onverse is ok for sporadic play, but it isn't anywhere near as good as Glitch or our beloved Faunasphere. Keep those suggestions coming!
    Posted 12 years ago by Mollie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fine. Mabinogi. I hope my account hasn't been deleted or somethin' 'cause of inactivity. You have to download the game, but that's ok.

Combat really isn't necessary. My character sucks at combat anyway. You can cook, sew, play music, gather herbs...It's really a beautiful game. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Sororia Rose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • www.there.com
    Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Okay, changed my mind. I think Mabinogi is out of the question. I asked in a forum:
    mabination.com/threads/6346...
    It's probably worse off than Glitch is now.
  • Free Realms is worth a look. I love the graphics. Reading Mollie's post, Onverse sounds a lot like Free Realms, but I like the graphics at FR better.
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Free Realms is distinctly less fug than some of them. /bookmarks
    Posted 12 years ago by Annuska Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I tried Free Realms when it first came out. Didn't grab me. I actually mostly play combat games. Glitch was a departure. I'll give Onverse a go but I'll probably end up playing KingsIsle's new Pirate101. I've been meaning to try it out.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I tried FR. Didn't like it, really. It's not as nice as Glitch is. Ha, nothing is as nice as Glitch is. I think we're not gonna find a complete replacement, ever.

That being said, Transformice?
  • Hmmmm. Know what? I never played another MMO before glitch. A friend got me into this. I've had a look at some of these other games and flip me, the graphics look AWFUL. I didn't realise how much of my enjoyment of glitch comes (came?) from the superlative artwork... argh.
    Posted 12 years ago by geekybird Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ugh. I do not want to be a sexbot, an elf/orc, a mouse, a pixelthingy, a Sim, a warrior, a ninja, a pirate or a bloodthirsty intergalactic monster-killer. I just want to be a quirky little side-scrolling avatar with a snarky sense of humor and an itchy butt. Maybe I will go for the deer game but I kind of want to talk and I think I will get bored without more to explore. If only Little Big Planet were an MMO with customizable sock-creatures. *SIGH*
    Posted 12 years ago by Mistress*of*Fishies Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch was the oasis in the desert of unsatisfying, maddening, tedious, juvenile MMOs that I wandered for years and years and years. I tried so many, and found so many SO wanting.

Evidently I have not yet pulled myself out of the pessimism phase of dealing with the Glitch closure news! I will give some of the games listed above a try, since I do truly have an optimistic nougat centre, truly I do.
    Posted 12 years ago by Payday Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Antilia looks promising.
    Posted 12 years ago by Emilia Rosalinda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • oh, my.

i am disheartened at the state of the glitch diaspora.
    Posted 12 years ago by flask Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Antilia does look interesting.  But this was my first ever BETA anything and now I am scared.  Why invest time if they aren't even going.
    Posted 12 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will research them all!
    Posted 12 years ago by Gordon Lughsen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, I just tried Second Life.  In half an hour I managed to turn my avatar's head into some sort of box and get stuck completely stuck down a hole in the airship station. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • While I enjoyed the gameplay in Glitch, or lack thereof, it was the community that I will miss.  WoW is my main game and coming to Glitch and opening up general chat was like a cool drink after being stuck in a desert.  In one Glitch day, conversations ranged from astrophysics to parenting to operatic video game themes to the best type of food to eat at 2am.

I will miss it very, very much.  :-(

Free Realms is looking like the next choice for me, if I don't get lost in a blackhole of Facebook games. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Asplode Goboom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I used to play The Endless Forest a little bit. I actually even remember when it first came out because  my friend showed it to me. (The same friend who showed me Glitch, actually!) It's kind of a weird concept... you're just a deer with a human head, walking around a forest.

It's pretty though! But it's kind of frustrating without communication. I'd want to be all, "Hey, you, wanna go down to this pretty pond and do deer things?" but you can't. I wish they would put in some kind of built-in communication system with pre-made selections, like, "Follow me!" or "Friends?" or something like that. Maybe they already have-- it's been years since I've played.

Also, the company that made The Endless Forest is the same one that created The Path, which is a beautiful and haunting single player game. :)

I remember when Free Realms was being advertised on Neopets! But after Glitch, none of these games really look appealing. :\
    Posted 12 years ago by Phantasmagoria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • In regards to some games posted here:

IMVU- Back in high school my boyfriend wanted me to try this, it's terrible.
    NationStates - I play this! I have three accounts, my main one is Grandais.
    Endless Forest - I'm really skeptical about this one. I've read an SA article about it numerous times and it seems more that the devs never added any content.
    Posted 12 years ago by Avnas Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I played Wizard 101 with my nephew and while it is for children, it was fun and a great way to get to bond, so I may try the pirate one out and see if he wants to do that too. He is getting older ( 10 years old) and he is into console games with all the bloody nasty ... I would love for him to get into another game like that, but doubt it. I am just going to have to keep my eyes peeled and try some out.

I play WOW, but that is just my fun exploring and kill stuff game, I am a hunter on there. 

I want something different, with a community sense, because that is pretty much what made Glitch so awesome for me. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Okay, my early verdict is FreeRealms is cute but a bitch to navigate.  You'd think being essentially a kids' game would mean it had an *easier* interface, but no.

Sigh.
    Posted 12 years ago by Annuska Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've said this before in several other threads, but if we can get a big chunk of Glitch to play GalaxSeeds, we can get more attention from the company and they'll update it every week and stuff. Galaxseeds is a game much like Glitch. Has the ability to plant, (and fight, but that's like a aiming game), this is a free game, no cashing required. They have quests, and there are funny item descriptions, graphics are cute, you can visit online people's house, and I think at least 1/2 of you players will like it if we get the company to start updating the game more.
    Posted 12 years ago by I Love You TS Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I give up. I don't like having my heart broken. Glitch was my first MMO and now, my last...

*dusts off his SNES*
    any one up for Mario Kart?
  • FreeRealms! That's the other game I used to play too. I got super bored with it after a while. Then again none of my friends were playing it. That's the main reason I stuck with glitch. LOTS of buddies to chat with.
    Posted 12 years ago by Gwyn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Any games that dont have to be downloaded?
    Posted 12 years ago by Polly Nomial Subscriber! | Permalink
  • FreeRealms is bad, its also aimed at a younger crowd. Conversation chatter goes through a pre-made filter which denies your whole sentence if it even vaguely catches a whiff of what it considers inappropriate ( Even if it isn't, DENIED! It's bad >.<)  

Its the Global chat on Glitch and caring community that I will sorely miss.
    Posted 12 years ago by Opportunity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As I said in other topics and ill make it known, quite a lot of glitches are planning to come across to my site (Atween) it's a virtual pet site.
    Posted 12 years ago by Santa Clause Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't trust any site with the word tween in its name. I feel that I would be bombarded with Justin Biebers and One Directions....ugh. 
  • Anyone play here?  http://www.gameglobe.com/

Edited to put in better link :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So discouraging.  Most of these games are for children.  One of the things I loved most about Glitch is that it is aimed at adults.  I like most kids, have several in my family, lol.  But it changes the whole nature of a game, having to censor every word, or constantly explain things that the player should be finding out (like reading the dang wiki or tutorial).  Glitch is so open, and easy, like chatting/working with adult friends irl.  Isn't there anything out there with an adult community?  I know it cant be Glitch, but we really do need something to turn to.
    Posted 12 years ago by Marina Pina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mentioned Guildwars 2 in another thread. If you can get your hands on a trial key there is a free-trial event going on atm. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/november-2012/
    Posted 12 years ago by Opportunity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It really is a sign of the 'Real World' that we, who prefer working together for the greater good of UR (and home) community, Harmony and success of our Glitchen (and RL) friends do not partake in the MMO's of violence, blood, gore & death (most anyway). We live in an upside down real world and it's sad to say it will only get worse. I truly hope to virtually see YOU again.
    now it's twice bitten.  maybe 3rd time will be the charm.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mystbecky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There is always "Pirates101" or "Wizards101"  we only have to battle funny looking creatures. :/

but alias, there don't laugh, snarl or scratch their butts
    Posted 12 years ago by Mystbecky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Papa: The word is only the the scots way for between. In no way has it got anything to do with children. The game like glitch is aimed for 14+ members (although on the register page at the moment it says 13) Anybody under 14 will be blocked from all forms of communication until 14th birthday, Simples, If you spot someone who might be under 14 its easy enough to let us know which is unlikely during alpha and beta as it will be you lot :P

Marina: Funny you should talk about the adult humour etc in a game, in the world maps that are going to be in the game, there will be some subtle adult content and you would be free to swear in a suitable manor (as in not repeatedly spamming the word etc) on the forums or in any other manner
  • @Santa, when registering ... what's the magic word? :P tells me I'm incorrect, figured it was the standard answer to that question...???
    Posted 12 years ago by PANsy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Perfectly aceptable question, It's hoggyfrog125

The reason why I have not really said it is because there is no point until I get the links up so you guys can do something. When my world maps get shipped in then the links shall be up :)
  • "Welcome PANsy. Thank you for joining Atween!" I look forward to checking it out when it's a little further along. :)

Also if anyone likes drawing games I'll throw out these two that I sometimes play
    iSketch (username OrigamiCrane) and Doodle or Die  (username deegan)
    Posted 12 years ago by PANsy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've been wondering, myself, what I'll do once Glitch shuts down (besides hoping that Tiny Speck will eventually be able to revive it or create another game that oozes charm like this one does). I checked over many of the suggestions made in the thread, and now I'll offer some of my own.

Puzzle Pirates (www.puzzlepirates.com/FAQs....) (someone already mentioned this) is similar to Glitch in that its graphics may be deemed "childish" since they are cartoon-y, but many of the players are adults. The game does not have gore, and ship duties are performed with casual puzzle gameplay (Bejeweled, etc.). There is player-vs.-player combat, but that, too, is a puzzle, or you can compete on the market by running a shop. Examples of shops are tailors, carpenters (ships and furniture), blacksmiths, and alchemists. Everything from ship to shop to homes can be decorated, and players lucky enough to become governor of an island can customize it as well. Essentially, Puzzle Pirates is a true sandbox, directed by players, but a downside would be that it is somewhat hard (at least for me) to get into a comfortable social circle which is a really big part of enjoying the game. However, if several of us from Glitch decided to play, we could join the same ocean (server) and start our very own pirate crew.

I'll post some more if I think of any, and I'll keep browsing through the suggestions. I've though about playing some of these before, such as Travians.
    Posted 12 years ago by Vexia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i personally like ypp www.puzzlepirates.com/ i'm usually a traditional-ish mmo person but ypp is puzzle driven. as in pseudo-puzzle games like bejeweled. it's strangely fun for what it is
    Posted 12 years ago by Priestess Mint Subscriber! | Permalink
  • nin ja'd twice. well then
    Posted 12 years ago by Priestess Mint Subscriber! | Permalink