Topic

A change to rook attacks......

I think it would be really cool if a rook attack didnt get cleared up in time, it would spread to another street, then to another. If they didnt get cleared up in time, it could run a chance of taking over an entire zone.

Chances of that happening would be slim, but the ability to have it happen would be SO FUN!

Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• and then everyone gets a sparkly pony?

A SPARKLY PONY, INNIE....WITH SPARKLES....

and possibly a potato
    Posted 12 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think that would be fun...especially the bit about sparkly ponies.

People respond to rook attacks so quickly that the chances of it happening are pretty slim, but still, the POSSIBILITY makes it awesome.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lily Linguistic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i would really like it if a rook attack meant something.

oh. did the rook attack? yawn. it's always the same.  the rook comes. peopel run to toss stuff in the shrine. there;s no consequence to it. it carries less importance than a bottle of trantsforming potion.

so yes. 

give it some weight. give us a reason to show up.

until a rook attack carries any consequence at all, i;m going to encourage people to simply walk the other way when one happens.

i want to see what happens when nobody shows up.

you know, for science.
    Posted 12 years ago by flask Subscriber! | Permalink
  • for science!

But yes, +1 for this idea. I really wish rook attacks meant something more.
    Posted 12 years ago by Avery♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Interesting and I do like this.  I haven't really been inspired to participate in many rook attacks, because after the first couple it is so pointless and basically a resource suck.  It would add to the whole rook mythology thingamajig. 

Oh. and I LOVE the new quests. So much going on it is awesome!
    Posted 12 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Edit: Oppdidoo, ignore this. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyn Frog, Esq Subscriber! | Permalink
  • oops redacted
    Posted 12 years ago by Moon Flower Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I went to a few attacks, here is my experience
    As a newish player I'd find an attack, calls for help in global, whereby I'd either get directed to rook attacks group (and invariable annouce in the wrong chat) or find the area suddenly invaded by a group of Glitchen who knew what to do, did it, congrats all round and away they went leaving me thinking what the . . . but . . . awww

As a seasoned player I would head out to a rook attack, try to find the person who alerted, trying to explain to them what to do and how they can help, by which time the area had been invaded by a group of Glitchen who know what to do, did it, congrats all round and away they went leaving them newer Glitchen thinking what the . . . but . . . awww

The only time this was different was when noone knew what rook attacks were exactly like and when Martial Imagination and Piety were new skills, back then we were guided by the Devs bless them :D

So how do we get the balance back, to allow for both new players to experience a rook attack as we knew them and to keep seasoned players engauged and excited to participate.

A new scaled alert system might work,

Amber alert Rook attacks
    For a normal attack once discovered by a glitchen, you would get an amber alert in global (maybe to lower level players only? ) These attacks would be thwarted using the methods we have already but as only lower level players would be alerted they should have a better chance to respond to an attack first.

Red alert Rook attacks

These would be a new level of attack where a whole region was under threat (like the now poorly visited areas of Kalavana and Aranna) Once discovered by a glitchen a red alert would go out in global to all players. In a red alert attack many streets in an area would be under attack simultaneously requiring larger numbers of glitchen to assemble and defeat the foe, the attacks could last longer or require more stun strikes before piety could be used.

If an area is not defended, or a red attack not discovered, or the defense proves to be too weak the following consequence should follow, the area passes back to its unimagined state and would require a feat to unlock.

Restoring an area through a feat would require each Glitchen to contrbute resources and work efforts and could be tied to each Giant, so for example muliples of rocks of varions sorts would be needed for Zille, Hoeing watering and donation of crops would be needed by Mab, when all 11 Giants are replenished/refreshed remembering would occur and the lost region would be reimagined back to its pristine state. (I do think tho that the original upgraded streets should return to their upgraded state and not their base state.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Faereluth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sounds interesting. But what if everybody just stayed on the home streets, all the regions went to unimagined, and Ur went away? Its a remote possibility, but as the game scales up after release, don't discount the amount of rook-apathy there might be. Or even active pacifism.
    Posted 12 years ago by Feldspar Gravity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Dorgan

But what if everybody just stayed on the home streets, all the regions went to unimagined

There would be an Urwide shortage of poop, not to mention no snails and no fiber and no
    places to visit to complete quests like DejaVu or Jethimidah Tower, hmm I don't think it would ever get to be that there would be no Ur at all, and we are the Glitchen of Ur and as such I think that most would be wanting to perserve it and see it grow rather than stand idly by and watch it all fade away.

I think the possibility of actually losing the use of an area would spur us into efforts to protect it, we have grown complacent its time to shake things up a bit and reinvigourate the populous
    Posted 12 years ago by Faereluth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • probably shouldnt be called Amber alert.......Maybe yellow alert instead?  I love the rest of the ideas!
  • I am wholeheartedly in favor of having some weight thrown onto the Rook attacks. Like others, I struggle to find the point in them. After you do one or two, they lack in intensity and urgency. Which is a shame because they are pretty darned cool and I do so love to see them.

I really like the idea of them spreading. I also like the idea of tiers of unimaginedness where streets & regions aren't wholly unimagined but, perhaps, it may take a while (and a lot of attention) before things can thrive on that street or region. At the same time, the street or region would be at a greater risk of having a Rook attack. This way folks looking for that sort of excitement, would know where to go for that experience.
    Posted 12 years ago by Vera Strange Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh Vera, that is amazing!! I love that! (I have street projects coming to mind!.......very complicated one)
  • Making it more urgent would make it much more exciting. Perhaps this could only happen in one area where rook attacks are able to happen to make it more dangerous to be in some places more than others. 
    Posted 12 years ago by magrat garlick Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Also, it seems to me like at the moment rook attacks only happen if someone is on the street.  What if the only requirement were that someone was in the region, instead?  That way they could start spreading as the OP suggested.  Streets would be devastated.  Perhaps once an entire street has been attacked for a certain amount of time it de-imagines, and then the Rook will move on to all adjacent streets, calling in more help from other Rooks, once the hole has been widened enough.  They spread out to adjacent streets.  Eventually clearing out entire regions.  We would have to fight our way in towards the middle, re-imagining streets as we worked our way inside - perhaps a new meditation skill that lets us re-imagine basic streets with nothing on them?  Then when we move onto the street a new skill would be required to re-imagine the street back to the way it was before the attack again, probably needing multiple Glitches to focus on the project as with martial meditation.
    Posted 12 years ago by FineousFingers Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I second all the voices saying rook attacks should have more impact. What's the fun in it if we ALWAYS win, and with hardly any effort?

Why don't Glitchen get rooked?
    Posted 12 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really like the idea of Rookish contagion spreading across an area (actually, I hate it, but as a game mechanic, I think it would be brilliant).  +1

Also, Vera's suggestion of tiers of unimaginedness reminds me alot of Aranna of old, and the fun I used to have going up there to patrol.  ++++Many for the return of more "dangerous" regions that need to be actively defended. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Grem Sketch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It would be so cool to have to restore streets. I have gone to two rook attacks in my time on glitch then decided it wasn't worth it. Other people seemed to have it taken care of and it wasn't very exciting. I would love to have more of a reason to visit rook attacks.
    Posted 12 years ago by Posie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +111111111111111111111
    +111111111111111111111
    +222222222222223222222
    Posted 12 years ago by Misty Power Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah that would be fun. I ,know the rook destroyed and killed all the inhabitants before we came along. It would be nice if something like that would happen if we left the rook unchecked.
    Posted 12 years ago by Prez. Obama Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Seth : I dunno if I would use the term "nice". Sounds like a secret rookist to me...  I gots me eye one you.... *glares, slowly reaching for my focusing orb in case I need to perform a stun attack* 
    Posted 12 years ago by Grem Sketch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Rook attacks have been increasing in frequency lately, and I've spotted kevbob at at least two of them.  Could big changes be in the works... ?
    Posted 12 years ago by Pale Queen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It used to be more difficult to get to a Rook attack. Woe to the Glitchen who was out of map teleports for the day. Rushing madly through the streets to try to reach it in time. With the advent of home streets Glitchen gather quickly and follow to the area under siege.
    We used to have to work together to stun the Rook with a struggle at times, to have enough Glitchen to focus on the task. Now there are many reviving before the Rook is even defeated. Some have such difficulty loading the street that by the time they do, the attack is over. Nothing left to do but radiate, radiate, radiate.
    Posted 12 years ago by MisBehavin' Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I Enjoyed rook attacks when i first started them but now i've gone away from them, I would all be in favour of spicing up the rook attacks
    Posted 12 years ago by Santa Clause Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Gotta add my +1 to all this!
    Posted 12 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My first rook attack I had no idea what to do and rook alerts was slow that day. What happened was that I left that attack with a million cracks in my screen. Awesome!

Is it possible to disable teleports (directly to the place), follows and summoning during a rook attack? I'm also a bit tired of the begging for summoning, haha. I feel like the rook oughta be more of a bad guy than just a birdie flying around. :D It could directly affect glitchen skills (like teleports and summons). Gives the newer glitches time to waddle to the rook attack.
    Posted 12 years ago by tofuchan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I used to go to assist. Now I go to spectate :D.

It's quite possible for a single player in an unpopular region to remove all the plants and animals unassisted, with a bit of cash and motivation and planning. Mostly because some areas, nobody is passing through.

I like that rookists lend a hand to the rook's work because the rook really needs it. If the OP's ideas were implemented, there might be a bigger incentive to actually fight the thing, rather than try to help it out of embarrassment for its inefficiency.
    Posted 12 years ago by Moehr Ossum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd like to see tweaks to the rook attacks too. They are over so quick, that even hitching a lift with someone is too slow at times.  To me the point of the attacks is the opportunity to work cooperatively to defeat an enemy. More stuns to defeat would be good as that focuses more on the cooperative aspect. Maybe also make it so reviving needs to happen more quickly, or create some other event that needs to happen at the same time as donations so not everyone is mobbing the shrine & overloading it?  More clean up after? 
    Posted 11 years ago by Bluebunny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I did have a forum on it but nobody did anything. One of my ideas was rook could destroy a street and would require a street project. Also +1 and maybe rooks that attack glitchen personally?
    Posted 11 years ago by we are durza Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ^ lal we are durza, i made a thread with the same idea some time ago xD
    http://www.glitch.com/forum/ideas/27858/

an other idea about having the rook starting to attack not waiting for the glitches to start attack
    http://www.glitch.com/forum/ideas/27627/

also this old thread gave me an other idea :D
    http://www.glitch.com/forum/general/22156/
    what about having the rook attack home streets?
    to start with it's sort of strange home streets are immune to rook attacks, that should be one of the many reasons why home streets are more popular than the shared world
    Posted 11 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink