Topic

Please Save all our data and archive it.

This is about as heartfelt as it gets here, and I know a lot of people will be with me on this one.  Please save this game in its entirety and all of our data on some hard drives and preserve them.  Maybe today the game can not be saved, maybe it won't even happen in a year, but if this game ever had a way of running all over again, I know I would come back and subscribe the second it showed up!  I know others would come back, too.  

Please, save us and our world, lock it away, and keep its safe.  We cherished the game, we cherished our time in this crazy, bizarre world, and none of us really want to be deleted.

Posted 11 years ago by Kirnan Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I imagine Bees! having a copy running off a computer in his den.  

Wandering round the world, all on his ownsome. 
    Posted 11 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That's a pretty image shhexy corin.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • it could be done using the api, making a raw data copy of each own glitch

but wonder how big is the whole game engine, anyway i really doubt TS will just delete it all, given all the work they poured into it, can't see them deleting it even if no more usable/active
    Posted 11 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • yes, i would come back in a heartbeat.
    Posted 11 years ago by jerk nugget Subscriber! | Permalink
  • But there has to be onion rings this time, no excuses....a elfs gotta eat...

and eat..and eat...
    Posted 11 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hope they save it. I would be back in an instant.
    Posted 11 years ago by Llewella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Agreed.
    Posted 11 years ago by Elendraug Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes pls
    Posted 11 years ago by ◘ ▪ Leï.Leï ▪ ◘ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would subscribe again as soon as I received notice, even if I had to start over.
    Posted 11 years ago by Moehr Ossum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I suggested this, nobody replied.

Someone else did, 9 people did.

Wat
    Posted 11 years ago by Seeen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ace its the timing of when you post. 
    anyway, 1 trillion baillion gaziliion 
    Posted 11 years ago by Misty Power Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll be back too, my character and I will bounce through Glitch again!
    Posted 11 years ago by Lily Alexa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We need more support for this.  Yes, starting over is a thing.  But at the same time, I want my character saved.  Maybe even allow characters to be heritage and transfer stuff from them to new accounts.
  • There is something weirdly appealing about this... not just in case the game ever starts again BUT that your glitch is alive and well somewhere, not written over by some random 1s and 0s. (Yes, I probably need help). In fact even if just our profiles, snaps and achievements etc could be hosted somewhere so that we could look at them from time to time that would be marvelous.
    Posted 11 years ago by snygyst Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I support the notion of Tiny Speck keeping a copy of Glitch archived, whether it be emotionally for our glitchen having a home, for some prospect that if Tiny Speck finds its hot-selling game, that earns it the kind of money I am forced to imagine Robert Kotick, Gabe Newell and John Riccitello sit on top of as padding for their business chair, they might feel able to use objects from the game to program it into a re-release of Glitch or even just so that it is a memorial of the good times Tiny Speck, or even specifically Stoot had when it was live.

If Tiny Speck does get massive (don't overthink it), after all, it'd be cool if anyone that you welcomed to visit Tiny Speck's offices could know they can see the first game made under Tiny Speck. If you get rid of it, and then get famous, then it'd be an opportunity squandered. If you don't get famous, the worst that you'll have is a personal memento.

It might not be viable to run for now, but I think Glitch also portrays many of the values and ideals that Tiny Speck stand for, so it also seems wise to keep an archive for its symbolic value to the company. Of course, it's not for me to make the choice for you, but these are some of the benefits I personally would see in doing so.
    Posted 11 years ago by Rednic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hope they are just closing it for a while and then open it back up. With my Pollen. And my Droplet. And my Grenaline. And my Glitch.
    Posted 11 years ago by Sad Pollen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Agreed. This could and should be a non-flash based game. I hope it reincarnates some time down the line. The world needs more games like this. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Bozzlebee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just really want them to save it all, and if possible use it as a base to transfer over to a new game engine, I mean, at least the code would be there to extract and then convert into whatever new code they use.

And this whole game with all its character data can not be more than 100 terabytes.
  • This is a good idea. It would be nice to come back to Glitch, if it ever does live again, knowing that your character and everything you worked for still exists.
    Posted 11 years ago by Ambillina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1

Kind of like Han Solo being frozen... only to be thawed out at a later date!
    Posted 11 years ago by Glondor Glitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by nekomaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    I posted a link to this thread on the official facebook page and I'm hoping and praying it actually works out.
    Posted 11 years ago by Ianto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Please do this. PLEASE.
    +111111111111
    Posted 11 years ago by Asuna Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am all for this. But I don't think they would just let it all go down the crapper without something saved. Unless they knew that it could never ever be workable. I read something somewhere recently that they were keeping stuff. ( I'm not puter savvy so be patient with me please) :) I would come back in a heartbeat and pay money to play even if I had to recreate a new glitch and start from scratch. Starting from scratch sounds like great fun to me.
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Muffett Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Starting from scratch to me is only fine to me if they had some heritage system that gives us something from our old characters.  I will miss my character a lot.
  • It'd be fine for me if they'll give us a badge or something on the next opening as proof that we played Glitch and "ascended", just don't delete our characters! :(

Also, it's weird how no staff member has noticed this thread yet. :'(
    Posted 11 years ago by a pig Subscriber! | Permalink
  • They haven't really been commenting on too many threads, I have noticed.
  • bumpitty bump!
    Posted 11 years ago by a pig Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Staff are looking for jobs. I wouldn't expect a ton of feedback from folks who are having to scramble—during the holiday season, too.

As sad as we are, imagine how they feel.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Feel? Warm and soft, but ...squishy?

What? Its true!  
    Posted 11 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for the idea of all our Glitchen information being saved.. even if you just let us *think* it has been saved, this would be awesome.. knowing that our avatars were alive and thinking well of us somewhere in cyberspace..
    Posted 11 years ago by tuqui Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If you don't have the money for the space, just give me a giant zip file or something of... er, myself. It would make me happy, even if it's just a bunch of SQL files or something.

Thanks. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Lady Cailia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lady Calia, the amount of space for everything in this game would be quite large, possibly up to 50 terabytes.  At least, that is what I would surmise.
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by Aos Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've been thinking about the preservation of games in general and I know that I definitely do not want Glitch to be forgotten.

From a game development point of view, I feel like there's a lot future designers can learn from Glitch. It would be a shame if Glitch is just lost forever with no way of playing it again. Even if you don't make it available to players, please save it. Maybe send a copy to the Digital Game Museum in Sunnyvale, CA.
    Posted 11 years ago by Soiyer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That would be neat, and the game could be forever preserved and seen there...
  • Agree! I have been just assuming that it would be saved. Can you imagine them having the heart to erase those drives? Maybe it's all on some cloud service and they don't own the drives, though...
    Posted 11 years ago by CrazyMooby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Suddenly it is VERY DUSTY IN HERE.

I love the idea of Ur hibernating on a drive somewhere... just in case...
    Posted 11 years ago by Aglet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hope so! :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Pickle Bob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +100 to to the idea of Ur hibernating! It would help with the feeling of loss...
    Posted 11 years ago by Mocha Maid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Don't forget to save the eleveness(i dont think i spelled that right...)! 
    +11
    bumpity bump. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Kristabel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Please, if you can.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pooklet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • All the upvotes for this. Please save our data! I would return to another venture like this if you ever decide to go again. IN A HEARTBEAT I would return.
    Posted 11 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So would I; and assuming I had a decent job at the time, I'd definitely put my money where my mouth is then. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Flapmouse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • PLEASE Tiny Speck, DO THIS FOR US, you know we all love Glitch and we would come back in a heartbeat. This is the worst Christmas in my life and it looks like I won't be celebrating. Also, maybe keep the home page and profile page skills, etc. open so that we can still view our glitchen, I love this game so much. If you came back one day.. I would instantly buy a subscription and join as fast as my computer can process it and my mouse can click it. This would be amazing. Thank you Tiny Speck.

* crying *

Bye everybody, add me on twitter to stay in touch : twitter.com/DrCookieEater
    Or come play fleck with some of us! :) fleck.com/main
    Posted 11 years ago by Dr.CookieEater Subscriber! | Permalink