Topic

Where did your username come from and what does it mean?

I'm always interested to know these things and I know I can't be the only one! :D

Mine is the name of my favorite color. A vivid, bright, bold blue. I also want to name my actual child this, some day. I'm going to be one of those weird parents that names their kids all sorts of weird things (not as farfetched as "Pilot Inspektor") like Silhouette or Viridian, haha.

Posted 13 years ago by Cerulean Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
  • 'Thimblerig' is a Girl Genius reference - an officer in the local guard force calls Master Payne a 'thimblerigger', a sort of street con artist.  Actually he's a very powerful magician.

Josiah just seemed to go with it.
    Posted 13 years ago by Josiah Thimblerig Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was a kid... and I thought "rift" was a cool sounding, simple, 4 letter word (meaning it could be used for almost any game).... so I replaced the "i" with a "y" to make it "original" and have never looked back. =P
    Posted 13 years ago by Ryft Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is a nickname I use for my cat. His name is Rufus and sometimes he like to hover in high places so I started calling him Rubucopter. I was trying to think of a name for the game and I used it in a previous forum, so I figured why not.
    Posted 13 years ago by Rubunny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My name on Glitch just goes to show how obsessed I was with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and how much I look into detail. I was looking at the manual that goes into the game when I was younger and noticed that I could read the names on the screenshots they had inside. One of the names was Sweetum and ever since then I've loved using that name since I saw it on a game I still love playing :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Sweetum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Cirno + Carrots = Cirnots. ;)
    Posted 13 years ago by Cirnots Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Embarrassingly I used to like to name myself Princess Kitty.  I really liked cats and fairy tales.  It was taken on most websites though so I got in the practice of calling myself Kitty-Princess.  Eventually even that name was taken on websites I signed up for.  I took out my thesaurus and ran Kitty-Princess through it.  I picked Means for Kitty and Darling for Princess.  That is how I got the name MeansDarling.  It's a pretty good name that I like a lot.  
    Posted 13 years ago by MeansDarling Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That's interesting... my explanation seems to have mysteriously disappeared from this thread. :/
    Posted 13 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was in the market for a new username recently, and decided a hat tip to Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book was in order.  It's easily shortened to just Owens, which rather makes me feel like I'm at an all-boys boarding school at the turn of the century.
    Posted 13 years ago by Somebody Owens Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's my Christian name.
    Posted 13 years ago by Sparklebooty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I got my name from when I used to play neopets when I was like 11. My favorite neopet was the blumaroo so I mixed the word cool with blumaroo except for coolaroo was already taken so I used a k. I've been using the username on nearly every site ever since.
    Posted 13 years ago by koolaroo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is a combination of things.  An ex used to call me his tangerine (in reference to my hair color) and I always liked it as far as nicknames go.  When I heard The Hush Sound's song Sweet Tangerine...well, it became a name I occasionally use.  

My other oft-used name is song related as well.
    Posted 13 years ago by Sweet Tangerine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Effigy is my favorite word. Well, not quite my favorite anymore, but it was when I picked it and "conciliatory" isn't a very snappy name. I stick to usernames really well though, so I don't think I'll stop being Effigy for years to come.
    Posted 13 years ago by Effigy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My lucky # is 116
    Posted 13 years ago by One Sixteen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My favorite anime series is Fullmetal Alchemist (both Brotherhood and the original), and I wondered what my second name would be if I were a state alchemist in the military in the series (a second name is usually The _____ Alchemist; The Flame Alchemist, for example).  After poking around a bit, I thought it would be cool to pick one of the last words in the dictionary, and I liked the sound and definition of Zwitterion (a molecule with both positive and negative charges).  And thus a username was born.
    Posted 13 years ago by ZwitterionAlchemist Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My Doll!
    Posted 13 years ago by ToffeeFudge Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am Trekkie Gal in two of my hobbies, so it was just natural for me to use it here.  The 'Trekkie' part is because I am a huge Star Trek fan (and a fan of sci-fi TV and movies in general).  The 'Gal' part...well, I would hope that would be obvious. :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Trekkie Gal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • First punny name that came into my head and sounded vaguely Glitch-related. I like punny names in games. Eons ago in WoW, my eventual main started off as an alt. He was Altraman.
    Posted 13 years ago by Axe-a-lot-l Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's a gemstone that comes in a bunch of different colors, so basically I picked it because I love bright colors and shiny objects.  Deep.
    Posted 13 years ago by Tourmaline Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nice thread. Interesting choices. 
    My name was pretty randomly selected. i tried for just Graham, cause i guess I was thinking of crackers at the time of sign up, but it was taken so I taked on the Lord part cause, well, I'm like kind of a big deal, y'know. I added the "of Eli" part cause it sounded cool, no reason other than that. I'm thinking of changing it to Lord Graham of Kajuu cause that's where I live but I might move someday.
    Posted 13 years ago by Papa Legba Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine's a place in London! I may have picked it merely because it sounded pretty. May have. I'll never tell. :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Rory Pond Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've used this name for a couple years now, but I originally stole it from a story I read. That particular Kestin isn't anything like me, but I was trying to decide on a new alias for some website or another, and the name popped into my head and wouldn't leave.
    Posted 13 years ago by Kestin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I use Mixtli because Tlilectic is too confusing for people to type out (both mean "dark cloud").   I usually use nahuatl names on games i play because odds are the names havent been taken yet.  A friend of mine did see a glitch running around earlier with an Olmec name tho...
    Posted 13 years ago by Mixtli Subscriber! | Permalink
  • TRB4 is my initials. Yes, I am actually a "fourth", sometimes I use TRBIV, because I use IV (the roman numeral for 4 on my License) But too often people try to pronounce it as "Truh Biv" Although I am sure some people still try to say "Trab Four" or some variation of it (Treb, Trob, Trub, etc.)

Oh well, but for the record it is quite literally just T.R.B. 4 or the fouth, your choice =)
    Posted 13 years ago by TRB4 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I said to my husband, "I want something that's powerful and cute." Being obsessed with He-man and She-ra, he suggested Adora. He also suggested Adorabalie which is one of his pet names for me (in RL my name is Alie). So, in his and She-ra's honour, I decided to go with Adoralie. It's a nice hybrid and keeps my pet name at home.
    Posted 12 years ago by Adoralie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Airplay" comes from "playing in air".
    I was an avid hang glider pilot for some years and continue to experiment with wind-power and aerodynamics.
    Posted 12 years ago by airplay Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dylan is one of my OCs in Roleplays and my avatar kind of looked like him. I was going to call him Chibi Dylan but the game didn't feel right for that game.
    Posted 12 years ago by Tiny Dylan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It was just the first thing that popped into my head when I found out my first choice (which I don't remember) was taken.
    Posted 12 years ago by Berry Goode Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's from one of my favorite book set when I was a teenager, all my gaming names have always come from that series.

---
    http://www.twitter.com/alittleglitch
    Posted 12 years ago by Yessi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine's from a cartoon by Weebl : www.weebls-stuff.com/wab/te...
    I have no idea why I used that as my username when I signed up though, is nothing like the usernames I've used anywhere else, ever :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Mr LaserExplosion Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine's based on the TV show "Tin Man" (a retelling of Wizard of Oz). One of the characters, a stand-in for Scarecrow, is called Glitch, so I wanted to be Dorothy. (Obviously, I should have been DG, but two letter usernames are usually not accepted.)

It's always awesome to run into another Glitchen called Azkadellia.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dorothy Gale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Seamus Zelazny Harper is one of my favorite SciFi characters. He kept me watching Andromeda for two seasons.
    Posted 12 years ago by Seamus Zelazny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It  was my username on a game I  played a while back and honestly I can't remember how I came up with it back then :/ lol
    Posted 12 years ago by April Time Subscriber! | Permalink
  • my username is a vegetable
    Posted 12 years ago by asparagus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is a super interesting thread.  ^_^

Miso is my favourite kind of soup and George is just a cool name.  Also it's the name of one of the main characters of a show I watch, Being Human (UK version).  He's the werewolf.  I love werewolves.  Also were-hogs but of course that would be Sonic and not George.  Maybe my next username will be Miso-Sonic.

My best friend always jokes that I need to stay away from her cat, because I might turn her into soup (her name is Miss George lol).

The first time I signed up I accidentally typo'd my name and it was MisoGeoge which caused some confusion.  Thank the Giants we can change our usernames lol.  >_<"
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is because i love AVPM, and thats by Starkid, and in another one of their plays (Starship) Taz is a super awesome, kick *brass* (haha) starship ranger. So Taz Starkid was born!
    Posted 12 years ago by Taz Starkid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Good thing I saw this thread. I noticed I misspelled my characters name! Dark Phoenix is a Marvel Comics character that had a story that I was amazed by. Phoenix was an X-Man member. A mutant with mental powers that went cosmic. She ate a sun and threatens the universe. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Dark Phoenix Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Many people asked if my nickname is in Korean :D But no, it's not. It's in Vietnamese but without accent marks. You read it 'meo-ngu' which means "stupid cat" :D that's simply because I love cat =^.^=
    Posted 12 years ago by Bu-chan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i made my username dr hardcore because i am dr hardcore
    Posted 12 years ago by dr hardcore Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lots of people think I'm Brazilian because of the name, but no, it's actually this song.
    Posted 12 years ago by Alberto Balsalm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love your name dark phoenix, its nice to see someone else who likes x-man!
    Posted 12 years ago by Taz Starkid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My name is derived from the Korean word for potato, kamja.  I named my dog Kamja and had a roommate that called him Kamjita.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kamjita Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Have used "Lorelei" online for eons, back when everything was text-based, there were no paynets, you had to struggle with the slow speed of a 120 or 240 baud modem, and there really were "no girls on the Internet" (well, very, very few, and most were using generic or male names to avoid being pounced on and harassed). I needed a login name for a MUD I was exploring ("what is this? only way to find out is to sign in") and, in desperation, thumbed through a pile of crappy 45 rpm records I'd collected over the years. "Lorelei" is the title of a fairly obscure Tom Tom Club (inorite?) B-side (obscure enough that you can not find the version I have on vinyl online).

It's not so much that I dug the song or the band that much, it was just the first thing I came across that was a legitimate name-type word. 

My nick has stars around it because someone else had already chosen the nick without stars. This has become a problem for me in recent years. :) For ten years or so, if you saw a Lorelei online, 99% chance it was me. Not so much, these days. 

I blame The Gilmore Girls, a show I have never seen (and the character on that show apparently spells it Lorelai).
    Posted 12 years ago by ✰ Lorelei ✰ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Last name. :L
    Posted 12 years ago by Volkov Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Here's mine: Years ago I belonged to an online discussion group of the band The Waterboys. Mike Scott was a member and he would drop in to give us updates on his doings. Occasionally he would tell wonderful stories, like how God created Ireland.Sometimes he would create adventures. He had a character named Patch Joseph Lannigan, a down-on-his-luck Irish tinker/thief and Mike Scott would relate stories about him. Then other members would assume other characters, like Lannigan's long-suffering yet genteel wife Laura, and add episodes of their own. These adventures could continue for weeks. It was absolutely magic!One story involved Mike Scott assuming the identity of a little sprite or fairy who had inadvertently been kidnapped by Patch and was only trying to get back home to her "flowerry pot". I liked it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well I usually go by Leilani but people a lot of people read it as anything but that (Lie, Lienai, Lellanl etc). My friend nicknamed me LeiLei and that kinda stuck :D plus, people don't usually have trouble reading/typing LeiLei ^_^

Leilani is hawaiian meaning child of heaven.
    Posted 12 years ago by ◘ ▪ Leï.Leï ▪ ◘ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I always name my toons after pasta shapes :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Ziti Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Bible. She was King Solomon's mother.
    Posted 12 years ago by Bathsheba Subscriber! | Permalink
  • meh
    Posted 12 years ago by Woochi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There's a 3D online game called Wurm Online.  It involves a lot of crafting, building, mining, terraforming, etc.  A good way to raise one's woodworking skills is to improve, or "imp", spindles (a tool which is used only for working with cotton).

I tried Free Realms a while back and enjoyed the whimsical names generated during its character creation process.  "Wondermumbles" was one such name, and it inspired me to combine "imp" and "spindle" this way.
    Posted 12 years ago by Impspindle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • EDIT: Double post due to internet connection hiccup. :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Impspindle Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9