Topic

SUGGESTIONS: We need to find a good game to migrate to....

Please list the games you play that may be possibilities! Thank You! 

Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I've been searching for quirky MMOs, and I found one called DOFUS. I don't know. It looks...cute?
    Posted 11 years ago by girlthulhu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Only one game comes close to Glitch for quirkiness, and that a text based BBS game from the 90's with ASCII graphics called LEGEND OF THE RED DRAGON.  It was the original quirky.  We could probably find an empty server somewhere online or one that is about to restart soon.

lord.nuklear.org/

You get to have sex with, with other players, the barmaid Violet, ugly troll women, Olivia the severed head.  A LORD server filled with glitch players would be a dream come true!
    Posted 11 years ago by Pickle Juice Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kingdom of Loathing has a certain something, as described above. It was partially inspired by Game Neverending, and it was eventually what I used to fill the hole in my life left by GNE. I used to love it a lot but now I can't imagine going back - its just not enough to fill the gaping cavern that will be left by Glitch.

Puzzle Pirates is another almost decent suggestion that I can sort of imagine almost maybe working out ok, but really this whole thread is just depressing. :/
    Posted 11 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't know if these will appeal to anyone else, but these are the games I was obsessed with before I discovered glitch, and am going to dip my feet back into now. The common element seems to be clever surreal offbeat humour and a lack of too much cliche/rigid gender roles (Yeah I don't know why I couldn't get into KoL either) 

Echo Bazaar: Lovecraftian card based game, you wander the underground streets of Fallen London investigating oddities and getting involved with charming tentacle headed strangers and other strange and sometimes disturbing things. Allows you to play as a gender ambiguous character which is nice. Only mildly social. Has various spinoffs now I haven't tried. Totally free, but paying money lets you increase your turns per day.

Popcap games: fun casual games. Not social. Free versions of most games.

Bioware games (specifically Mass Effect and Dragon Age): RPGs with lots of fighting and darkness, but the writing and character customisation is great. Not free at all! I haven't played their MMORPG Star Wars the Old Republic yet, but apparently a subscription free version is coming (I don't mind once off fees, but don't like being locked into a subscription)
    Posted 11 years ago by Sequoia Baer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @girlthulhu I love dofus but the problem is to do almost anything in the game you have to pay.
    @Sequoia Baer swtor actually went free today btw
    Posted 11 years ago by koolaroo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • KoL is fun, but I've never been able to stick to it consistently. Smallworlds has some positives when it comes to creativity.
    Posted 11 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dofus is fun, you should check it out.
    Posted 11 years ago by Muncey Mango Subscriber! | Permalink
  • thanks for this list/thread. i went through all the links and find most things too anime, too WoW-y, or the graphics too gross to hold my interest...or they cost money. minecraft kind of fits those last two for me, not to mention the about/how to play/etc links are all broken, lol. i will keep watching for more suggestions.

the end looks kind of neat though, i think i might try that.
    Posted 11 years ago by jerk nugget Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Discworld MUD has the quirkiness...but it's all in text and does have the adventure game trappings. I wish someone would make a flash based sandbox game based on it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Berta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've been wondering how FlockDraw might hold up as a free creative collaborative chatty online space. it's not a game per se so much as group whiteboard drawing with a chat room, but it can be a lot of fun.

flockdraw.com/
    Posted 11 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *signs up for maplestory*
    *realises it is Windows only*

The End (being browser based) runs on a Mac, I just did one of the first levels and it was fun if rather more hand-eye-coordination-y than I like. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Sequoia Baer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The main game i play is glitch but since its closing here are some suggestions:

The graphics on the mmo Wakfu are good but most of the game has to be purchased.

As for minecraft which is a sandbox i play it often but mostly on servers (glitch servers?) i also make glitch skins on there if anyone wants one...

I play evony in my free time but it takes a long time to upgrade and build once you reach higher levels unlike glitch, wakfu and minecraft.

I visit chickensmoothie a lot but it isn't much of a game more just adopting pets and trading.

I'm not sure ill ever find a game as good as glitch though :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Gh0sty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really can not begin to explain how much you guys would like There.com.  Its a 3D client download game, you have avatars, voice chat, you can own homes, ride in buggies, on hoverboards and hoverpacks.  Its just another MMO.......however, there is no questing. Its just hanging out with friends and being silly. 

Well, if you go there, I am Innie there, too.
    Posted 11 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just joined Kingdom of loathing to see how it goes, and have to admit its pretty cute and fun.

the guild on there for glitches and already been made and there are a few members. Just search glitch in guild names when/if you come over looking.
    Posted 11 years ago by Rawthorne Subscriber! | Permalink
  • KoL: guild or clan?
    Posted 11 years ago by Sororia Rose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • lol, I dont remember...but everyone knows what i mean right?
    Posted 11 years ago by Rawthorne Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch is only the second game ever to hold my interest for an extended period of time.  Fortunately, my first game is still around.  If anyone else is interested in playing Lord of the Rings Online, you can find me on their forums (as Cloudie-wan) or on Windfola server as the Hobbit Burglar named Cloudberry.
    Posted 11 years ago by Cloudie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm ZenMonkey in KoL too. Pretty sure I'll be getting back to ascending now. (LazyHardcore4Lyfe!)
    Posted 11 years ago by ZenMonkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • improbableisland.com

I just found this, and it's awesome. Hilarious, silly, no PvP, although you do hit things, you start out naked and then can obtain (for example) a spork and pink frilly panties. I am using a kitchen knife and wearing a clown costume (-5 charm). It's set up kind of like an HTML MUD. Full of great referential humor. Check it out and say hi to me, Ailia, if you see me online.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lady Cailia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've been meaning to get back into MUSH/MUDs. I used to play a pay for perks game called Lusternia. I combat is too fast for me, though and I don't feel like using scripts just to play. However, the story line is very good and the Admin (the Gods) are very active and RP with the players. There's crafts that you can collect for and make. You can also design your own, then submit it so everyone can craft it. That along with the player libraries, histories and other things make it an awesome world. Even though they have tons of non-violent things (debating NPC, collecting, quests, RP, crafts, etc) the game is primarily based around PVP

Also, there's Vangaurd and EQ/EQ2.  If anything, I'd like to try out crafting in those games.
    Posted 11 years ago by EzBreezy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That Improbable Island thing looks pretty great, except for the gender question during signup. I've joined up there as Queenie.
    Posted 11 years ago by Jokes Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The End looks neat indeed, too bad it's not an mmo
    Kinda fun There is back to live, I remember playing it like what...5 years ago?
    Maybe I'll drop by sometime
    Posted 11 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Me and the civility group owner(Bachjess) a long with some of the members if they want to come, Miss melody, Selle, Slippy to name a few are coming a long to my site, It should be open in a few days time.
    Posted 11 years ago by Santa Clause Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My KoL name is Jackiekitten
    Posted 11 years ago by Jackie Jones Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If you like a similar art style to DOFUS, try Spiral Knights. 

www.spiralknights.com/about...

Browser-based & free. Made by Three Rings (Puzzle Pirates). I started playing it about six months ago, it's fun, but I stopped playing it because well, Glitch. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Meow Mix Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There just isn't anything out there like Glitch. I have been through most suggested.  I guess I will just have to stumble upon something that fits, just as I did here over a year ago.
    Posted 11 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Meow Mix - Spiral Knights appears to require a download, did you mean that it can be played in a window?
    Posted 11 years ago by Kebechet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm saving most of these links just in case, but I don't know if there's anything else out there that will be as delightfully preposterous as this game. I really want a fun place that I can occasionally hang out with my mother and my sister like I do here. Something that's casual enough for my mother to handle but can still keep my attention. That's what Glitch was. Ugh, tears. ;-;
    Posted 11 years ago by Sisterly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Here's a few suggestions

Kingdom of Loathing - It's got the same quirky sense of humor, and the graphics requirements are far less (it's mostly text and stick drawings).
    Spiral Knights - An MMO that's highly reminiscent of the old dungeon-crawl levels of Zelda on the SNES.  It runs off of Java, so while you can download the client separately, you can also just visit the website and have the client installed for you.
    Puzzle Pirates - Also by Three Rings is Puzzle Pirates.  All actions in the game are done by playing mini-puzzles.  Graphics are a bit cartoony (think mega-block pirates) but it'll be easy on your computer.  Java again, with either a separate client or a browser-installed client.
    Doctor Who: Worlds in Time - Another by Three Rings.  This is kind of like Puzzle Pirates lite.  You play as a companion to the Doctor, completing little mini-missions by playing different puzzles.  This is a Flash game, so if you had trouble with Glitch at times you might have trouble here as well.

All of these games are mostly free, though you can pay for either more access, special features, extra spending currency, etc...

Another site to note is GamerDNA.  It's a site where you can connect with other gamers based on games played, genre, etc..  The list of games isn't nearly as exhaustive as I'd like, but it's a great place to collect all your games and profiles in one place.  You can find me there as Fiddler.
    Posted 11 years ago by Duke Orsino Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just  started  smallworld  its  surely  is not  glitch  but  its  worth a  try    so if  u play  I am pinkie pinkston  of  course 
    Posted 11 years ago by Pinkie Pinkston Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Does anyone know of a game with a good crafting system? Gathering and crafting instead of combat to advance my character was such a fun change.

Isn't Lusternia one of the Iron Realms games? I played Imperian with a friend years ago but some really abusive players kicked my character out of her guild and I permanently lost skills I bought with cash. My friend's character was actually tortured in-game. Just appalling stuff. Iron Realms wouldn't do anything about either situation. You couldn't pay me enough to load up another Iron Realms game if that twit Mihaly is still in charge.

I think it's time for Torchlight 2.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've made an Excel spreadsheet of these suggestions - game name, who suggested it, and comments about it - and will be checking some of them.  I'm loyal to Kingdom of Loathing, but want a second game for alternate play.
    Santa Clause, I'd be very interested in what you've got cooking with your proposed new site, especially since some of my Civility Group friends are going to be part of it, and will IM you later.
    Duke Orsina, I'm very interested in learning more about GamerDNA as it does sound like a way for those of us who have bonded as solid online friends to stay in touch as buddies no matter which game(s) each of us eventually migrate to.
    Rawthorne, I'm not sure why you felt the need to set up a brand new clan on KoL since there's so many KoL players here who are experienced and already in well-established clans that would have all the resources to assist newcomers to get a solid start and grow and enjoy the game without getting frustrated right away.  If you'll WhiteList me to your new clan, I'll stop by and drop a bunch of helpful items in the clan stash though. As a Pastamancer, I can make a lot of the essential first foods and drinks and potions and stuff that will help a newcomer through the early quests.  I'm norsegodofmischief on KoL.  Other Glitch players who are also KoL players include (Glitch name, not KoL name) - TransplantedEntwife, MisBehavin (who is my clan's own beloved NoPeekN and also PeekAchoo on KoL), Kazehas, Taztaboo, Oopsy Daisy, Synnia, katlazam, Little Miss Giggles, ZenMonkey and Jackie Jones.  There's quite a few others.
    NutMeg Botwin, I'll mention your Facebook group for Glitches in the Civility Group forum.  I'm not on Facebook, but a lot of Glitches are, and it would be another good way for many of us to stay in touch and continue the wonderful friendships that have formed on Glitch.
    Posted 11 years ago by Talaria Wingfoot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sure Talaria
    Posted 11 years ago by Santa Clause Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Spiral Knights has a hitch guys, you have to pay for energy to even get anywhere not that far into the game.
  • Lyrical: You get 100 free energy every day, and for anything beyond that you can either pay the company or buy it from other players.  Plus, they run free elevator weekends fairly often, so you can adventure without using any energy at all.
    Posted 11 years ago by Duke Orsino Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Talaria, even if you hadn't said so, you'd have outed yourself as a KoLer with that spreadsheet. ;-) Thanks for doing that! Hope to see you in the Kingdom.
    Posted 11 years ago by ZenMonkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I play this game called Eternal Lands occasionally. It's a 3D MMORPG, fantasy world where you can pick what kind of skill you want to head in. You can focus on mainly one skill, several skills or every skill if you feel like it. The community is friendly most of the time, but you will always come across that one dickhead every now and then. It's a fun, social game, but takes somewhat grinding to level up.
    Here's a link if you want to check it out www.eternal-lands.com/
    My name is MoTioNKi11a ingame if you want to meet up.
    Posted 11 years ago by NiFi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • With Spiral Knights i don't doubt thats the case, i just remember gettnig really frustrated with energy consumption, but it has been awhile since i've played it.
  • I used to play over at www.dofus.com a long time ago then gave it up when RL took over from playing games.  Beginning of last year I played www.wakfu.com which is the successor to dofus and it was a lot of fun. Lots of interaction with other players, great crafting system and places to discover...  Then i got my glitch invite through and totally dropped it.

Both dofus and wakfu require a client download and if you want to do pretty much anything at all interesting then you must subscribe.  I may go back to wafku again, unsure tho...

Spiral knights is a very clicky game, i played briefly but it was just too too hard on my hands with the constant battling.  it's available to play through kongregate if ppl want to check it out...
    Posted 11 years ago by Arietty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Let me know if you have another go at Wakfu, Arietty! I had a very similar experience - began playing it, and then found Glitch a couple of days later and totally dropped it. And had trouble finding any other players while I was there.
    Posted 11 years ago by Payday Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Eternal Lands looks cute. Not terribly imaginative, but cute. Might check that one out.
    Posted 11 years ago by Jokes Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll be over at Maplestory while I'm waiting for www.wildstar-online.com/en/ to come out...
    Posted 11 years ago by Sondi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't know if you guys want to do this, but there's an old abandoned game for a few years that are like Glitch, but it really just requires other players. But soon other people kept on leaving and leaving... So we can get all the Glitch Members to go here. Free game, graphics are cute. The only problem is you can't type EVERYTHING you want. 

Here's the link of this game. GalaxSeeds
    Posted 11 years ago by I Love You TS Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Some of these suggestions above look ok but so far nothing is truly GREAT like Glitch. 
    In searching myself, I went to the website mmorpg.com and set up parameters of Fantasy game-free-etc so that the list included Glitch and these are the others games that fit the same categories:
    A Mystical Land
    Club Penguin
    Dark Ages
    Diablo3
    Dungeon Overlord
    Endless Blue Moon
    Endless Online
    Fantage
    Fantasy Tales Online
    Free Realms
    Furcadia
    Hello Kitty Online
    Island Forge
    Kingdom of Drakkar
    Lands of Hope
    Myst Online
    Realm of the Mad God
    zOMG!

Good luck all!
    Posted 11 years ago by Holly Waterfall Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes! I love you TS, I believe you are right! Galaxseeds looks good. Signed up. Will play Onverse for the beauty. Galaxseeds appears to have the humor! Thank you! Signed up for Dofus also, very long download.
    Posted 11 years ago by Priscilla Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Priscilla Parsley, now, all we need is more players to join... 2 people aren't enough. Sign up, and if you did post it here to advertise it!
    Posted 11 years ago by I Love You TS Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Personally...Nothing can replace glitch. It is truly a game of magic, and nothing can hold a candle to it. To try to find a replacement is impossible. What we need to do is exchange information, sing goodnight groddle, and wait for the end.
    Posted 11 years ago by The Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Spiral Knights is a good game if you're into dungeon romps, but the dev team is very small, so major content updates are somewhat far inbetween.  You technically CAN reach the end-game while remaining free-to-play, but unless you're a shrewd merchant, you'll probably get bored before that happens.  My suggestion to anyone who wants to try it:  play without paying until you reach the end of the Tier 2 missions, and if you're still digging the game after that, wait for them to run a promo, then drop $10 - $20.  If the promo item is a box, don't open it - instead, hold on to it for a few months, then sell it when you run low on funds.
    Posted 11 years ago by Guts Duodenum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Shotglass Checkers sounds pretty good right about now
    Posted 11 years ago by MarbhDamhsa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Had a look at most of these games and they are pretty awful, tbh.
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink