Topic

Staff Topic

The Art of Glitch • A Hardcover Book of Images from the Game and World of Glitch

We can't save everything in the game. But one thing we can preserve is the art.
So we put together an Indiegogo (like Kickstarter, except they like Canada) campaign to make a hardcover 10" (wide) x 8" (tall) full page image art book featuring all the unique styles of the regions of Ur, characters and houses, and of course the amazing snapshots that you guys took.
Unfortunately, the cost to produce the books is very, very high. So that's why we decided to crowdsource the costs.

Because if you guys want to commit to making it happen, you can bet your dong I will commit my butt to making the best book possible for all of us.

If the campaign is successful, I will be reaching out to everybody who worked on the game and each and every single one of you guys who want to contribute to the campaign for input on what should go in the book. It is, after all, for all of us. And we should cram in as much as we can to create the ultimate tribute to what we shared here.

If you want to see The Art of Glitch happen,
Help make it happen!

EDIT:
Please read before posting questions
--------------------------------------------------

The way the campaign works is that all contributors to the campaign will receive the book (in the format as designated by their perk level). After the campaign is over, there is no guarantee that they will be for sale in bookstores, Amazon, or anything.
However, I will be ordering an excess amount of books due to the price cut I will receive in ordering in multiples. So I will have a bunch of extras remaining. I can't guarantee everyone who wants to buy one after the campaign will be able to buy one from me afterwards, but there MAY be some. I hate asking people to follow me on twitter cause it's such a lame thing to do, but when the campaign is over and I know how many books I'll be selling, we will mention it from @kukubee. I also like the idea of offering the PDF version of it after the campaign is over too, but again, there are rights I have to work out with Tiny Speck for anything I do post-campaign. So please bare with me and know that I am trying my best to make every one of you happy!

Posted 11 years ago by Kukubee Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I love this, and I will have to get the book as soon as I get the money. 
    I only have one dong. Does anyone know the exchange rate?
    Posted 11 years ago by snygyst Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What if so many people donate, they don't have enough art to make the book? What if it is so big it costs a SQUILLION dollahz to post? 

we can do this!
    Posted 11 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @shhexy corin: If they have too few art they can include my giant shrine ;)

www.glitch.com/snaps/PA9SGI...

I'm sure there are tons of others who'd love to have something of theirs in it too :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Pickle Bob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I understand that Innie. I'm just in a shitty place. My husband's work cut his hours to about 21/wk, and despite that, my family won't understand our inability to buy christmas presents for them while we try to pay our bills on $800 a month. (pro-tip: that's completely impossible, it doesn't even cover the two things that come out on the first of the month)

My city's struggling to feed hungry families for Christmas, because nobody has enough left over to donate. There are no jobs. Or rather, the jobs all want you to have 3+ years experience at the exact same job, and they want to pay you minimum wage for that experience.

I'm having a hard time not thinking about the good all this money could do, that's all. I feel the same way when I look at most of my family, and the things they buy, too.
    Posted 11 years ago by Biohazard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *hugs biohazard* I am so sorry for your hard times, especially this time of year. Stand up to your family and put your foot down. If you dont have it, you dont have it. This is SHOULD be the season of love, not the season of stress.  I will pray that work gets easier, money gets better, and your family gains some understanding and compassion.

I have been there, and omg I have felt that. *hugs*  Loves!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aw, geez Biohazard. That's a terrible thing to be going through and I'm sorry to hear things are so rough. I obviously didn't understand what you were trying to say at all when I wrote my earlier answer. The US has food stamps but it's still bad here too. Families with low income qualify for less aid than people who are unemployed so they still have to rely on the food banks. I just donated some money to my local food bank, well, just because it seemed like a Glitchy thing to do.

Do keep in mind that Kukubee also just lost his job at Tiny Speck. I wonder if some of the big donors are trying to give him and Brandi some money to live on while Brent puts together the book?
    Posted 11 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Making my living as an artist, I can't say I'd rather someone gave money to anything other than an artist whose work they support. I really hope some of this money goes to the pocket of kukubee, and not all to the books.
    Posted 11 years ago by glassy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am sooo excited about this but I have to wait until January to contribute.  This feels like a yearbook, almost.  Except more important.  And prettier.  And with fewer people you can't stand in it.  I am in the process of convincing my mom to get one too.

Oh, Pickle Bob, nice snap!  And holy cow--er piggy.  I'd like to see that one in the book too.
    Posted 11 years ago by whimpypotato Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kukubee, I'll donate to help with this as well, but it will have to be around the 1st week of January. 
    One thing I would dearly love is a Glitch image "skin" (like the ones sold by Skinit) that can be put on the outside of a laptop or on the outside of the protective cover on my new eReader, a Kindle Fire.   In fact, I'd buy a couple of these, one for the laptop and one for the eReader, if they were available.
    Posted 11 years ago by Talaria Wingfoot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Kukubee  We know you will make the book great, but part of our hope is that you will get paid also. You are a fabulous artist but artists have to eat. Make sure you take some salary or a percentage or something for yourself.  I'm glad to have something to look forward to in the spring.
    Posted 11 years ago by Leelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will these be available after Christmas?
    Posted 11 years ago by Wondermelon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The project goes until Jan. 19, so you have until then to donate in order to get one, Wondermelon. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I figured out my problem and managed to buy a book, yay!

It won't let me put in an APO address (US military overseas) so I had to send it to my parents house.  
    Posted 11 years ago by Feylin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kukubee, you truly are the best!!! Thank you for this! xoxo (((Kukubee)))
    Posted 11 years ago by Hab Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Here's my final icon snap....I'd absolutely love it if this could be considered for the book :D

www.glitch.com/snaps/PA9SGI...
    Posted 11 years ago by Pickle Bob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So glad to be able to do this!
    Posted 11 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have a terrible weakness for beautiful books and gladly forked over some money. Thank you so much for doing this!
    Posted 11 years ago by Tourmaline Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My Glitch refund came through, so bought myself a book. I'm really going to miss this.
    Posted 11 years ago by Rammi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is using PayPal the only way to pay?
    Posted 11 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i was able to pay by credit card - its no an immediate option at the start
    Posted 11 years ago by Loupin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ordered!
    Posted 11 years ago by WallyMcBeal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Please put the Hall of Unused concepts (I don't remember the official name for them) into the book :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Liniki Ileina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If enough is raised, will hardcover copies be able to be sold? Because i'm not able to contribute right now... I really want to buy a physical copy though... :c
    Posted 11 years ago by Moogle55 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kukubee, is it possible to put some of the extra money into doing a proper production run of these? I think many of us would love to order a book, and would love to support you, but $65 is a little hard to come up with so close to the holidays.

Guys?  Anyone else agree?
    Posted 11 years ago by barbara Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm also not able to contribute, but would love to buy a copy when things improve. Please consider?
    Posted 11 years ago by Bitsy Nubbins Subscriber! | Permalink
  • barbara I 100% agree.  After the holidays book release pretty please?
    Posted 11 years ago by Bean Boof Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Man, I missed the chance at a cubimal. Any chance we will be able to buy just a cubimal stuffed animal in the future?
    Posted 11 years ago by Evallia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @barbara One thing I will be doing (mostly out of necessity to hit a price drop!) is ordering a whole bunch of extras. I won't be doing a MASSIVE run mostly because I don't want a stockpile of books in my bedroom so I can't 100% promise they will be available for everybody afterwards. But if I do get the chance to offer them outside of the campaign, I will mention them on @kukubee's twitter (for a lack of a better way to update people) and how you could get them.
  • I know it is already funded, and I don't have much money, but you can count of my money backing this book! I love glitch, and i'll support anything for it. Cant wait to hold this book in my hands.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lady Snugglesworth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It'd be great if a paperback run could be done either as part of the campaign or made available after the fact... I'd really love a copy but $65 is a lot for me right now, as I'm sure it is for many. >:
    Posted 11 years ago by tozoku Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This rocks. Spent more on this than during the entire game of Glitch! 
    Posted 11 years ago by caseorganic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's satisfying to know where the money is going. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Guider Subscriber! | Permalink
  • RoboYeti, SR Assistant Hero II.  Looking forward to March.  $250 well spent!

P.S. - can my sketch be http://www.glitch.com/snaps/PHFSJG15KAD2RJA/120920-fc5595fa17/  ?  teehee!! <3  I love you, Kukubee.
    Posted 11 years ago by RoboYeti Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't have much money, either. I wish the book was cheaper than $65. I can barely afford Christmas gifts for my family right now.  :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Corixis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will the quota of Sr Assistant Hero be increased? I really want the cubimal! Or could there be another cubimal project? 
    Posted 11 years ago by Pola Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Kukubee

One thing you could consider, easing the strain on your home's space, is leaving the electronic version for sale for longer. It's something, at least, for those who can't manage to save up in time, or who miss the probably-very-quick sale of hard copies. It's also probably easier to manage longer-term, since etsy lets you sell digital works (as evidenced by all the knitting patterns ;) )
  • If I want both the hardcover and the PDF, I have to donate twice/separately, right?
    Posted 11 years ago by bumblepuppy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bumblepuppy, the page implies that you don't have to. The level for hardcover says that you get "everything" that the previous level gets, and the previous level gets a PDF :)

Hopefully you can get a real-er confirmation cause I barely know what I'm talking about.
  • Biohazard is correct. Every contributor gets a PDF version by email.
    And leaving the electronic version up for sale longer is an idea I like!
  • Spike (the artist behind the webcomic Templar, AZ) has reported great satisfaction with selling PDF copies of the graphic novels she produced (Smut Peddler and Poorcraft) via GumRoad:

gumroad.com/

And the things I've bought from her on there were very low muss, no fuss on my side of the equation.
    Posted 11 years ago by Ginko Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey, if I don't contribute (since I'll be out of town) will I be able to buy the book by itself(i.e. without a 'perk')??? Like just hit a 'Buy Book' button??? Please let this happen as it will definitely increase sales for you guys! Also, what will the cost be or has it not been deduced yet due to fluctuations???
    Thanks and sorry for so many questions!
    Posted 11 years ago by Hersche Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kukubee, thanks for the confirmation → contributed!
    Posted 11 years ago by bumblepuppy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kukubee, I am so happy you are doing this book. I totally added my contribution as soon as I saw this. It's gonna be awesome!
    Posted 11 years ago by Codex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • And if i just can't contribuate but i'll love to. It will be realy sad if the young peoples or the ones who cant contribuate can't get a look at this book. Can you try to do something?
    sad  the game ends :,( :,(
    Posted 11 years ago by Tchåle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh man, I really hope the .pdfs stay up longer. I can't spare the money for either right now. I'm in the middle of a huge expensive move : /
    Posted 11 years ago by Derkhan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • For the special Thank you page in the hardbound book, is everyone going to get a full list of all the contributors, or is it a personalized thank you page for each person?
    Posted 11 years ago by Zarq Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Also threw monies at this! Ironic really. The only other game I own both a soundtrack and an artwork-book from is Okami and the company folded not long after releasing it. It is actually very similar to Glitch in some ways. It has beautiful settings and music, and a lot of the game is about making flowers and trees bloom and feeding animals.
    Posted 11 years ago by EileenAlphabet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • YAY! I can has for Christmas! :D I can't wait! It shall sit next to 'The art of Okami' :DD
    Posted 11 years ago by Grubble Shnub Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @kukubee If you want to include a snap of the Kukubee Army, might I suggest this one, which includes hilarious commentary from Brandi? http://lem.to/p/lJVB

Or maybe this one where you talk about boners....http://lem.to/p/jxj0
    Posted 11 years ago by Caiyot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Question: These forums will be closed at the end of the year, and both Kukubee's and Danny's campaigns will close, not long after...where and how do we all keep in touch, until we get our books and music and assorted goodies, and get updates on progress of orders, etc?
    Posted 11 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink