Topic

Staff Topic

The Art of Glitch • A Hardcover Book of Images from the Game and World of Glitch

We can't save everything in the game. But one thing we can preserve is the art.
So we put together an Indiegogo (like Kickstarter, except they like Canada) campaign to make a hardcover 10" (wide) x 8" (tall) full page image art book featuring all the unique styles of the regions of Ur, characters and houses, and of course the amazing snapshots that you guys took.
Unfortunately, the cost to produce the books is very, very high. So that's why we decided to crowdsource the costs.

Because if you guys want to commit to making it happen, you can bet your dong I will commit my butt to making the best book possible for all of us.

If the campaign is successful, I will be reaching out to everybody who worked on the game and each and every single one of you guys who want to contribute to the campaign for input on what should go in the book. It is, after all, for all of us. And we should cram in as much as we can to create the ultimate tribute to what we shared here.

If you want to see The Art of Glitch happen,
Help make it happen!

EDIT:
Please read before posting questions
--------------------------------------------------

The way the campaign works is that all contributors to the campaign will receive the book (in the format as designated by their perk level). After the campaign is over, there is no guarantee that they will be for sale in bookstores, Amazon, or anything.
However, I will be ordering an excess amount of books due to the price cut I will receive in ordering in multiples. So I will have a bunch of extras remaining. I can't guarantee everyone who wants to buy one after the campaign will be able to buy one from me afterwards, but there MAY be some. I hate asking people to follow me on twitter cause it's such a lame thing to do, but when the campaign is over and I know how many books I'll be selling, we will mention it from @kukubee. I also like the idea of offering the PDF version of it after the campaign is over too, but again, there are rights I have to work out with Tiny Speck for anything I do post-campaign. So please bare with me and know that I am trying my best to make every one of you happy!

Posted 11 years ago by Kukubee Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• @~Scilly~
    Danny and I will both be posting updates to our respective campaign pages. Those who opted for email updates will receive them vie email.
    I (and I'm pretty sure Danny will too) will also be emailing our contributors individually to work out any necessary details (confirm shipping address, coordinate any custom perk they may have bought, etc.) when the time is nigh.
    I was also considering doing a temporary google group or something for contributors who were interested in joining discussions about the book contents. But not exactly sure. I'll think of something! But yeah, even after this site closes, you won't be left in the dark especially since you've spent your hard-earned money.
  • Thank You, Kukubee! =D
    Posted 11 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • All signed up & pimped out on twitter :D
    Posted 11 years ago by xombiekitty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If I ever get my refund, I will be buying one. I really want to make it in time for Trucker Dave to be forever enshrined with her buttfeathers, but I don't have a hint of a refund yet for the older transactions and the first ones to come though took a week and a half to clear the bank. (Bank's fault, not TS)

Glitch got me though some hard times, including the diagnosis of a rare brain disorder and now fibromyalgia. I'm still having hard times but it's getting better. Upward and onward right? Right.
    Posted 11 years ago by Trucker Dave Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just had an idea and I don't know if it's really lame or not--ignore if it is. I was thinking it would be really lovely if the ordering of the art in Kukubee's book corresponded to the order of the music on Danny's CD. Now, this may turn out to not be feasible, but if it is, wouldn't it be so wonderful if we could page though the book while listening to the music and have there be a synchronicity between the two? (Full disclosure: I'm old enough to remember Dark Side of the Rainbow ;>)). I'm cross posting this on the Danny music thread. It would be good to see the react (My ego I hope will withstand the crushing blow if it turns out everyone thinks this is lame).
    Posted 11 years ago by Axa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Got my end-of-year bonus today, so my book is ordered! Yay!
    Posted 11 years ago by Aliera Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry, don't know if it was already mentioned*, but don't forget the magnificent soundtrack! maybe a mini customized usb pen with audio (mp3,ogg) ?
    oh well, just a late thought.

Bye guys, and thank you!!!

*now, I look two lines up and see it being discussed :D
    Posted 11 years ago by .gatto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • aaaaaaaaaand i've officially paid my $65 :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Octavious Orion Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Got my holiday bonus and am now looking forward to my book!!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Grizelda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My family ordered an art book for me for Christmas! Yay!!!! Best present ever! :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Tabbykittie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • BF ordered me one for Christmas :) Although the closing of Glitch was the worst graduation present ever (I graduated Dec 8th), its demise led to the creation of something tangible and physical, something not just virtual. Had Glitch not shut down, we wouldn't have been able to get this beautiful book for a while longer. Thanks to everyone for making this happen.
    Posted 11 years ago by Liniki Ileina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Weeeee! Was finally able to order mine today. So happy and I can't wait to get the finished book in March.
    Posted 11 years ago by buddhakitty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I bought a second Sr Apprentice Hero for my mom, do I need to fill out the form twice to have her information added to the book? 
    Posted 11 years ago by Rusty the Sismanaut Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Rusty asks an excellent question. If a purchase has been made on someone's behalf, how do we ensure the recipient's avatar is included in the book?

Assuming we have to fill out the form on their behalf, what if they don't have an indiegogo account? Do we provide a link to our own?
    Posted 11 years ago by Voluptua Sneezelips Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I bought but don't have an Indiegogo account. So I just put that in my form. I suggest you just put your own if you want that. Presumably you used your own email address when you bought the gift?
    Posted 11 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, when I filled out the form I just added my mom's info to the "comments" section. Just wanted to be sure that'd be good enough. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Rusty the Sismanaut Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Voluptua Sneezelips
    If you bought a book on someone else's behalf, they don't need an indiegogo account. Just link to their avatar/profile on the form. The indiegogo account info is only used to match the form to the purchaser, so the purchaser can use their indiegogo account on 8 million forms if they bought 8 million times.
    And also if you bought 8 million times... thanks!
  • @Kukubee
    Voluptua Sneezelips deleted her account, so I'm not sure she'll see your message.
    Posted 11 years ago by Silvery Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hi Kukubee - I bought the digital copy, but if I scrounge up enough loose change in time I want to spring for a physical edition. Can I upgrade my pledge?
    Posted 11 years ago by Spaghetti Thompson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Silvery Thanks for the heads up!

@Spaghetti Thompson Yep, but indiegogo doesn't have upgrading built into their system. What we did for a few people is asked people to contribute again and choose "No Perk", and contribute the difference and send us a note so we can connect the two and note the upgrade manually
  • Rad! Thanks for the explanation.
    Posted 11 years ago by Spaghetti Thompson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was all sad to discover that the music campaign was shorter than I realized, but relieved when checked this campaign and then all like :O when I saw that it's just $3,329 away from $100,000 with 11 days to go!  We can totally do this you guys!!

(and it's taken me way too long to finish putting together my list of snaps and I know that Kukubee is all gainfully employed and moving on and things and such but I hope it's not too late to recommend snaps!)
    Posted 11 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @katlazam
    Of course it's not too late to recommend snaps! I'm still going through everrrryyyyyyyy one of them that gets posted in that thread.
  • I just found out about this.  I'm in when I can figure out how to swing it.  Gotta have this.

Was Silky and Silky-M depending on when we're talking about. Left because the game was so good my husband was upset about me playing, if that tells anybody anything.
    Posted 11 years ago by So sorry Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had a specific question and I put it in the comments section of the google doc.
    Posted 11 years ago by diaveborn ♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Only eight days left, people... and less than a thousand dollars to go to 100,000 dollars in total! Hurry up, please, it's time!
  • I'm having fun picturing Kukubee's accountant's reaction to the $100k transfer that will happen when this campaign is finished.
    Posted 11 years ago by Biohazard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • C'mon, Supermega Goal!

ETA: 100K broken! OMG you guys are awesome!
    Posted 11 years ago by DOOMy Nutpuncher Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hahaha, I came here to squee about the 100k mark too! This was pretty much my reaction: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp7z0xTl8x1qfez7e.gif
    Posted 11 years ago by Drakani Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wooooot! Yay!! Awesome!!! =D
    Posted 11 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Has anybody asked for anything custom?

I'm receiving email addresses for every contributor and what perk level they purchased.
    I'll be taking a good amount of time reaching out to each of you guys individually and working out shipping, current addresses, and any custom perk details before I ship anything out.

Posted 40 days ago by Kukubee

If we want something custom, it seems like we need to purchase something first before we can ask about custom stuff, but how do we know what tier to purchase at?
  • diaveborn - I think the custom would be the plush cubies or t-shirts. They are listed in the perks for each donation level.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ahh, thanks.  (I've been hoping I could get one book with two avis.)
  • Oh god. I want  the art book, but when I go to pay through paypal, I can't even though I have enough money there. It asks me for my card but my card gets denied.

Can't I pay with the funds I have on my paypal account?
    Posted 11 years ago by Janun Harmaa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I paid with paypal funds, Janun. It didn't seem hard. I actually have had the opposite problem, where I can't seem to stop paypal from using whatever funds are in it, even when I want to use my credit card.
    Maybe you missed a link or a little bit of text that would have helped you? Try again but read every step maybe, if you skipped some before.
  • Okay, it seems I have to have a card linked to contribute, but my card gets denied. No book for me then it seems. :/
    Posted 11 years ago by Janun Harmaa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yay! $100,000!! Our final feat completed! :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Tabbykittie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Augh... Kukubee is there any way I can contact you about this campaign? everything is conspiring to make it so I get the money to pay for the hardcover version of this book after the campaign ends, please let me know if I can put in for the PDF version and kick you the extra afterward, and still get the book? I'm going to put in for the PDF now anyway, but I really, really want the actual hardcover version. :<
    Posted 11 years ago by Derpmage Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Only 23, yes twenty-three hours left to get this book. Less than a day to get the art of Glitch in your house or on your computer. The electronic PDF-version is only 15 dollars, if you are short on cash. Hurry up, please, it's time!
  • Just had an idea (and forgive me if someone has already mentioned this). Glitch was a kinetic, multisensory experience. Given the campaign's incredible success, why not include a DVD with each hardcover book? It could simply incude the YouTube videos that were uploaded by Tiny Speck (trailers, tutorials, new feature promos), the two that Stoot uploaded independently, Danny's soundtrack promo, and anything else that may be laying around. You wouldn't have to produce any new content. Blank DVDs are cheap, DVD duplication is cheap, and the discs could be inserted in a vinyl sleeve stuck inside the back cover of each book. I recently worked on a book where we did this very thing and the hardest part was the physical labor of applying the discs to the books.

I know that some will say that this is unnecessary since this material can be streamed online, but a DVD will deliver better quality audio and video and it will offer a degree of permanence that the Internet can't match. Of course there may also be rights and permissions to be worked out, but the Tiny Speck crew seems to be pretty easygoing and reasonable about that sort of thing.

I think a DVD is a great idea. What do YOU think?
    Posted 11 years ago by Polly Paperclip | Permalink
  • I would love a copy of the old trailer. It still pops in my head sometimes.
    I'm not sure on whether it's a reasonable request, but it sounds like it maybe could be? You could probably even recruit one or two Vancouver Glitchens to do the manual labor of attaching the discs, by bribing them with a book or tshirt or print (if any are left by the time the books are done)
  • Ten hours left... Can we make it to $110,000?
  • Kukubee,
    I ordered the book
    I want it to be for another Glitch. I can't log into Indiegogo (for various reasons) to contact you.
    I am sure you will get in touch and find out which lucky Glitch the book is for, yah?

thanks so much for this,
    harriette
    Posted 11 years ago by harriette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • harriette that's what the survey is for, it's the Google Docs hotlink in the most recent update on the indiegogo page and you don't need to be logged in to see it :)

That asks which Glitchen the book is for and for a link to their profile page.
  • i just contriuted 75$ :)
    thanks for everything! lots of great memories
    Posted 11 years ago by Seifer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is there any way at least the PDF will be available afterwards? I know it says on there the books won't be available after the campaign. Unfortunately I don't have cash on me until tomorrow, and there's only about 3 hours left. ;-;
    Posted 11 years ago by Chihiro Jones Subscriber! | Permalink
  • finally came out of grief and contributed. i know when it comes in the mail i'll be crying my heart out (tears equal parts joy and sadness)
    Posted 11 years ago by melody dean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This was asked in Danny's thread but this seems to be a better place: How can we get different looks shown on the two books if we contributed to both?
    Posted 11 years ago by MaryLiLamb Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Congrats on the final tally, Kukubee and everyone else who's working on the project! You guys rock!
    Posted 11 years ago by DOOMy Nutpuncher Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Congratulations, Kukubee!