Topic

Thought on the rewards from feat rocks

I posted this in a general discussion thread and several people liked the idea, so I figured I ought to post it here in the Ideas lair:  I think it would be fun if all of the rocks gave you something towards an artifacty item, but the most common reward would be 1 or 2 beads that you need like 100 of to make a necklace (as opposed to the "cooler" artifacts that have 4 or so pieces but are much more rare).

That way, artifacts are still something to work towards that will take time to achieve, but no one would have the disappointment of getting currants from their rocks.

Posted 12 years ago by Caiyot Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I've never actually liked an idea enough to post a "+1" with nothing else, but . . . +1. +2 if you can wear the necklace. 100 may be a bit much though, feats seem like a huge to-do that puts strain on the server.
    Posted 12 years ago by Replete Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1.  Nothing else.  :)
    Posted 12 years ago by ennuienta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 100 is just a high number, it could be whatever TS thought was reasonable. I would just rather have something unique to feats instead of currants, which can be gotten from pretty much any activity :)
  • I already posted that I love this idea, but I will reiterate that I love this idea! That's how much I love this idea.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pii Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like this idea. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Scarf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Like Pii, I still think this is a great idea. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Spaghetti Thompson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • great idea!
    Posted 12 years ago by Princess Zircon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Love this idea. Some of us just don't have the time to dedicate to feats because of reality that would put us in a 'top' position. This would make it far more rewarding to take even a small part in.
    Posted 12 years ago by rorschach Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Please please please implement something like this, TS.  I did six hours of grinding today for a grand reward of 300 currants.  I like grinding but THAT IS REALLY DEPRESSING.  Even if the "beads" or whatever are worth less than 300 currants in the end, at least they're unique to the feat, rather than being identical to what I'd get for selling 2 awesome stews.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pale Queen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the idea of getting something other than currants since the "feat currants" feel like any old currants and leave no memento behind (the conch was i nice item, though it did come with a quest). I did like that there were small rocks that contained artifacts randomly since i was nowhere near the top of the leadership board. But i miss my little rocks....a little bit. 
    Posted 12 years ago by kepi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Like.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +eleventy.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fernstream Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1

And I do like the idea of it being something really high-numbered, like 100.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kadi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 indeedy
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyn Frog, Esq Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A very good idea. At the moment I don't feel the feats are worth the time, but this would make it so..
    Posted 12 years ago by snygyst Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I posted my enthusiasm for this idea in the original thread and I'll repeat it here.  If enough people are participating in feats, and everyone gets at least one [item] just for showing up, these won't become mad collectibles with a ferocious market trade, they'll be visible tokens that acknowledge player effort in what is supposed to be a special event. 
    Posted 12 years ago by oscarette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 gazillion to this!
    Posted 12 years ago by Agnes Snatchflannel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 if feats have a reward at all, it should be something unique
    Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There are so many things you could do besides beads/necklaces, too! Like blades of grass to make a grass skirt, small shells to make a wall hanging, feathers to make a feathered cloak.... I'm sure TS could come up with even better ideas!
  • OMGiants!!!  I love this idea!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Firestone1960 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love the idea too. Found depressing getting a bunch of currants for making efforts toward the feat. At least that way you get a special memento
    Posted 12 years ago by Fresh Mango Spirit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1. The artifacts currently kind of seem hard to get for me because I do not have time to sit down and participate more that a couple hours.
    Posted 12 years ago by Llewella Subscriber! | Permalink
  •  I don't agree that the artifact pieces are hard to get -- just participating gives a chance at a piece, which makes them more accessible than the street creator trophies they partially replace.  And since feats are supposedly going to be a regular, ongoing thing, even a casual participant will have uncountable chances to receive pieces and then trade around.  It will just take longer.  And that's as it should be -- I think that is well balanced. 

But there is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge gap between 300 currants and an artifact piece.  Even some currants and a diamond is near worthless for veteran players -- something has to be over 50k currants before I even blink.  I'll spend 100k on a whim.  And with the effort it takes to receive more than one rock, it's like buying a $20 scratch ticket and winning . . . but only a single dollar.  I say this as someone that got one rock from the first feat and happened to get an artifact piece.  I have no reason to be bitter.  But it's also hard to enjoy it when so many are bitter. 

I do think, even without changes, as these go on, bitterness will be less common.  The more feats someone participates in, the more rocks they will open (even if only one per feat), and the more likely they are to get a piece.   Feats will eventually feel less like OMGWTFBBQ MUST DO NOW moments and just be part of the background -- not special events but just another day in Ur. 

I like the "common" artifact with many pieces idea.  Though if there was just one, that would play out rather quickly too.  Perhaps multiple common artifacts with many pieces; perhaps somewhere in the 30 to 50 range each.  That would require most players to trade or buy to complete the commons while still providing progress with each feat participation. 

If not this idea, then perhaps more interesting rewards.  Strange potions that cannot be crafted that affect appearance or something silly like that.  Existing stuff like party pack tasters or unopened cubis.  Etc. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes to everything Saucelah said.  

I like the idea of "common" artifacts with many pieces. But I also like the idea of strange potions or something similar as an alternative, especially if these could be designed to have minimal impact on the game economy. Perhaps they could come with a big warning that they will evaporate if not used by a certain date. (Does Glitch have a lunar calendar? I like the idea of potions that go poof when there's a full moon.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Splendora Subscriber! | Permalink
  • From Pii's thread, it looks like the small petrified rocks have about a 22% chance of yielding an artifact piece. I wasn't counting the data that carefully so don't take that number as set in stone.  I don't think we need to ask for "common" artifacts if drop rates from small petrified rocks are that reasonable.

I would prefer to see an interesting low-value item instead of currants though. It seems like cracked rocks should drop ore, not currants.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Great idea.  It's a special event, it should have a special reward. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Pickle Juice Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes it's a special event and should have special rewards. That's what the petrified rocks and artefacts are. Special Rewards

But these special events are going to happen regularly. Yes these artefact pieces are currently quite rare but wait a few months and they will not be. This time next year they might actually be common

I wouldn't  be surprised if they work like cubis and that some artefact pieces  will be commons and some rares. But it's early days yet to know exactly how these will work
    Posted 12 years ago by IrenicRhonda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is a great idea. Love the thought of tiny little collectible bits that we can assemble over time. Like a slow-mo version of people making pi strings on Pi day IRL (9 diff colours of bead are strung in an order to represent the decimal places, creating colourful thingburbles they can...do stuff with. And things.).
    Posted 12 years ago by Voluptua Sneezelips Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My dream would be beads in all different colors, which could be strung together to make a rainbow necklace for my Glitch to wear. But it could be a really exhaustive rainbow! It could have red and yellow and green and brown, scarlet and black and ochre and peach, ruby and olive and violet and faun, lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve, cream and crimson and silver and rose and azure and lemon and russet and grey. Purple and white and pink and orange and blue!

(Yes, I did that from memory. Frightening, right?)
    Posted 12 years ago by Pii Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 indeed
    Posted 12 years ago by Muncey Mango Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1. Love the idea of common artifacts... it might not be of great monetary value, but it serves as a lovely souvenir and incentive to keep participating, even if it's a wee little bit.
    Posted 12 years ago by Twotone Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 most definitely
    Posted 12 years ago by N2ZOrtolanaBlue Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 12 years ago by Daisy Blooms Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This seems to have happened!  Checked the encyclopedia for collectibles and there are now 5 new items, each a necklace made from beads!
    Posted 12 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sometimes I am overwhelmed by the coolness that is Tiny Speck.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1  Great idea, the currant rewards are nothing and give a feeling of disappointment after all that work.  

I ground sparkly through two game days and can't remember how much I got from the rocks but it was a tiny amount.  I also got a message to say that they had forgotten to give me a rock and I was really excited to crack it.  10 currants.  Yay!!!

I
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love that this was instituted! This is one of the reasons why I love this game :)
    Posted 12 years ago by MaryLiLamb Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Caiyot: "I'm sure TS could come up with even better ideas!"

Looks like you were wrong! However, your idea was good, so it is all good!
    Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes I got one!
    Posted 12 years ago by Muncey Mango Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ooh, I got a piece of a Caiyotite necklace!
    Posted 12 years ago by Colette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Caiyotite! Ha-ha!
    Posted 12 years ago by Fly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Whaaaat?  Caiyotite?!?!?  I am grinning from ear to pointy ear at this :D

My day has officially been made! And I love the description, "1/17th of a necklace unremarkable in beauty, low in price, but rich in sentimental value."

SO COOL!
  • Love it :)

And Sauce, "OMGWTFBBQ" made me laugh out loud. Just sayin'.
    Posted 12 years ago by Beans, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 12 years ago by Jessenya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • this thread makes me happy. ^_^ also, I love my beads.
    Posted 12 years ago by Slugbug Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Do the completed necklaces do anything?  Perhaps they could be prayer beads... e.g. once a day you could pray with them and get double shrine rewards, or something along those lines...
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Portinari Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can't even begin to say how much I love that staff/stoot not only listens to players...  but responds, engages and implements.

Hugs to Caiyot to your spot in Glitchen history!!

In my limited involvement... this is second only to the Good Night Groddle Music Box.

Player good idea.... staff listens....  OMFG.....
    Posted 12 years ago by Pirate Apples Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Next time I crack open a small petrified rock to find 20 currants inside I will snap, I swear, I´ll go postal.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mikah Subscriber! | Permalink