Topic

Where did your username come from and what does it mean?

I'm always interested to know these things and I know I can't be the only one! :D

Mine is the name of my favorite color. A vivid, bright, bold blue. I also want to name my actual child this, some day. I'm going to be one of those weird parents that names their kids all sorts of weird things (not as farfetched as "Pilot Inspektor") like Silhouette or Viridian, haha.

Posted 13 years ago by Cerulean Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• My name is my name (actually first name and last name initial). I've gone by my real name ever since the days after Compuserve (where you were two numbers separated by a comma). It helps my friends find me.

I thought of changing it when Glitch goes live but I am not sure that's a good idea since no one I've met here will know who I am then.
    Posted 13 years ago by BarryW Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Rachel is my real first name. When I first signed up for another game (faunasphere), I didn't know the difference between a log in name and a user name. Dumb me!  arrrgghh! And fs didn't let folks change names. gr-r-r-r 

When I was invited to glitch I kept the same name since so many former fs players migrated at the same time and  I wanted them to recognize me and visa versa so I just kept the same name.
    Posted 13 years ago by GreyGoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Laurali. My name is Laura, middle name Lee, so it's close and it always catches my eye when I see you're online (also, because you've helped me out SO much in the game). I worked with someone who called me Laura Loo (or just Loo). But I named myself after our two black scottie pup brothers, Chester and Elmo. When we refer to them or call to them, we say "ChetMo".
    Posted 13 years ago by Chetmo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I posted this a few days ago in some off-topic thread, and it was pretty to the point to what I wanted to say. So, I'll just find it and do a copypasta:

I've been through a lot over the past few years, and lately I started keeping two journals as a writing exercise: Cerva and Hyaena, Deer and Hyena. In essence, it's the two halves that make the whole of my personality, but in a broader sense, an exercise for the book I'm working on. (And maybe just a little to help me work out some issues.)

I'm pathologically shy by nature. When I use the "Hyaena" name, it's a little easier for me to be more open and less reserved. Under "Cerva", I'd be running away. If any of that makes sense.

Well, maybe it will whenever I finish this damn book.

You know something, though? I've been thinking about changing it to "Baxtali". That's my penname -- half of it, anyway. It means "lucky" in Romani.
    Posted 13 years ago by girlthulhu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am monster. Grrrr. But I am also little glitchy Glitchen with many little mannerisms and several minor quibbles, both of which are definitions of quirk. My parents are not imaginative. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Quirk Subscriber! | Permalink
  • my first name on here was trumple and I have to be honest with you - I have no idea where it came from.  The word just popped into my head.  

I've since changed it match my usual name on internet stuffs.  It comes from a domain name that was gifted to me by my fiance.  www.icatchmonkeys.com .  When the time comes that I have enough interesting things to say and/or start a business, it will be a live site.   

Bit boring compared to most.  
    Posted 13 years ago by icatchm0nkeys Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wanted a name that sounded like a name but was silly, and also related to my interests. I love music and musical instruments, although I don't own either a lute or a theremin. :)

People have come up with some interesting nicknames for me in the short time I've played- I'm often 'Thera' and sometimes 'Lutey' which amuses me because it sounds similar to my real first name :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Theremina Lute Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My username is my nickname in real life - which I earned for coming up with a matrix to figure out who owed what to whom on the last night of a very non-typical trip to Vegas! 
    Posted 13 years ago by matrix Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm enjoying these stories, so I thought I'd post too even though I haven't posted anything here yet.  Hello!
    Back when I was a kid, one of my favorite books was "Cars and Trucks and Things that Go" by Richard Scarry.  Now I have a 2-year-old son and it's one of his favorites, so we read it a lot.  There's a cool character in it named Mistress Mouse, who drives a tow truck and is always fixing broken-down vehicles... so I decided to make a play on words and combine with a famous inventor, to make Mistress Morse.
    Posted 13 years ago by Mistress Morse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Haha, I was about to revive this but then I saw there was no need! I'm really happy and excited to see new faces here. :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Cerulean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My name is Sarah. I used to know another Sarah, who was a DJ and went by the same name, spelled differently. She eventually dropped it and went with her real name so I swooped in and stole it. Had it for at least six years now!

I almost wish I could change it but I've had it for so long and I can't think of anything else that isn't already taken.
    Posted 13 years ago by Saraphim Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A character from the anime K-On!
    Posted 13 years ago by Yui Hirasawa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is a misspelled tribute to a special moment on the Colbert Report, in which Stephen completely lost his composure
    Posted 13 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ROFLMAO! That's hysterical!
    Posted 13 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • In an Octavia Butler trilogy, the third sex of an alien species is called "ooloi." I use it b/c I'm a tranny and a sci fi buff. Also, my favorite character in those books is an ooloi.
    Posted 13 years ago by Ooloi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I posted an explanation of m'name in the "who are you" thread a while back, but since this thread is character-name-specific, here I go again:

I deliberately chose something silly, since most of my characters in other games have had more serious names that took ages to dream up. This one took less than 5 minutes. I almost went with "Fellatia" as a first name, because, well, it's awesome, but "Voluptua" sounded more approachable and curvy and playful. My last name was going to be "Sneezebuckets", but there weren't enough character spaces. So it became "Sneezelips", which I like much better. And it's fun to say! Imagine someone announcing it at a concert or monster truck rally, and it gets even funnier. :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Voluptua Sneezelips Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oooh fun xD My name comes from the wonderful webcomic Homestuck. For those who are familiar, no I don't particularly ship DavexJohn. I WANTED to be Dave, but it was taken O: How woefully sadificating. 

Somehow I decided from there to just add John to the end. Go figure.
    Posted 13 years ago by Liza Throttlebottom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I's... a HO! :D~
    Posted 13 years ago by FlirtyvonSexenhaven Subscriber! | Permalink
  • jenderal.cilik

Mine is obviously Indonesian. It's a kind of 'Military Rank'. jenderal means 'General' or 'General Officer' in US Military Rank. The highest rank in our country is 'Jenderal Besar', if you translate it to English directly, it'll says "Big General". But I don't want to grow big, or old, or gettin mature, growing old is boring! >.<

So I put cilik after it. It means 'little' or 'tiny'. It's like Exupéry's "Little Prince", he's a Prince but the little one. And here we go! the jenderal.cilik or the "little general". 

:D
    Posted 13 years ago by jenderal.cilik Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Carnivale Justice - I chose this name as an ode to one of my favourite scenes from one of my favourite television series of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnC2qlHrfIs
    Posted 13 years ago by Carnivale Justice Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I made it up. I cannot resist making up a new name every time I create a character in a game (I have so many for some RPGs now). This is one of two that I've been trying to consistently use online for the past couple of years though~
    Posted 13 years ago by Serilyn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Since becoming divorced, some 20 years ago I reverted back to Miss. My actual name is Melody, how I hated that name, 54 years ago when I started school. Children then in the UK never had unusual names. My Mother was a nurse during W W II and one of her friends was a nurse from the USA , who had a daughter named Melody, she thought it a lovely name, so I became Melody Anne. It bought me grief at school everyone used to say, "What a pretty name and I bet you play a fine tune". These days there are a lot of girls being name Melody, now I love my name. So I thought in Glitch I would become Miss Melody, instead of my usual handle woodentot.
    Posted 13 years ago by Miss Melody Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Reba is a Phish song.  :-D

It's pretty fitting, considering the what-nots here in Ur... www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSs...

Here are some of the lyrics:

Bag it  
    Tag it  
    Sell it to the butcher in the store  

Reba put a stopper in the bottom of the tub  
    Picked up a jar unscrewed the top  
    And watched it drop into the water  

A little scoop of plaster mix  
    Some coffee grounds and mud  
    And then she stirred it with the ladle  
    That her Grandmother had bought her  
    Threw in a pot of melted wax  
    A forefoot and a hoof  
    Apple core, worms galore  
    And a can of some corrosive  

Coconuts and chloroform  
    Some wicker and some cork  
    Toxic waste, some purple paste  
    She hoped was not explosive  
    Reba dip a ladle for a taste of her creation  
    And she knew that what she made  
    Would be the finest in the nation
    Posted 13 years ago by Reba Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Megan64 = my first name + the French department I lived/loved in
    Posted 13 years ago by Megan64 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Back in the day when I first started in Beta in FS I had just lost a dear Appy named Almost Silver and since most who know me know my passion for horses, it was a way to honor him and it's kinda stuck with me. (Certainly not because my hair might be almost ????well, yeah, I guess it is)
    Posted 13 years ago by AlmostSilver Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Don Draper's Guide to Picking up Women - An SNL short

Also from Mad Men (which is on Netflix now), so if you see me advertising items you don't need, you'll recognize why.
    Posted 13 years ago by Messy Monster Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One evening, while I was standing on the fantail of the ferry between San Francisco and Oakland, I saw a cargo ship anchored in the bay named Cherry Galaxy. I immediately claimed it as my Post-Punk Glam Rocker name. But my Glitchen is using it until I get my band together.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cherry Galaxy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I changed the name of Quizara [Tapwid] from DUNE.. they were Fremen priests, to Qizara.  I never did like the letter "u" :)

In other games, I have also used the names of Chani and Alia, also from Dune.  Qiz usually is in any game where I have more than one character.
    Posted 13 years ago by Qizara Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wein is from Dragon Force back in the glory days of Sega Saturn. Needless to say that this particular game pretty much affected me in various ways - I was twelve, easily influenced and extremely susceptible to visual-aural osmosis.
    Posted 13 years ago by Wein Subscriber! | Permalink
  • After all these great stories, it feels kind of lame to say I picked this name because it fits me so much better than my real one...  but there ya go.
    Posted 13 years ago by Georgia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • back when dragons roamed the earth and teh interwebs was just a series of tubes in Al Gore's mind, a place was created called alt.fan.dragons. many dwaggies frolicked and played there-and i believe some still do. i am very old. i am a dwaggie. i am blu.  and i know who Thomas Stearns Eliot is.  hee hee
    Posted 13 years ago by bludwaggie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am an artist, most of all I enjoy just drawing and sketching. Sketch Book just came naturally. I have loved seeing all of the Doctor Who references around!
    Posted 13 years ago by Sketch Book Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When I joined, I happened to be thinking of my younger sister, and for whatever reason, the homepage reminded me of this show she used to watch called "The Wild Thornberrys."  The protagonist was Eliza Thornberry, and so I became Eliza Thornybur.
    Posted 13 years ago by Eliza Thornybur Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Georgia - There's nothing lame about your choice at all!  :-D  I think that's awesome!!  
    Posted 13 years ago by Reba Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Like many of you, I was confused about user name and login name when I joined Faunasphere. Just plain Mollie was already taken, as were a few other numbered Mollies, so I chose Mollie9. I dropped the 9 when I signed up for Glitch. Mollie is a diminutive play on my real-life initials, and also the name of a sweet-natured cat that I had from the moment she was born (behind the chest of drawers in my bedroom) until the day she died at 20 years of age. Wish my nature were as sweet!
    Posted 13 years ago by Mollie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Because deep down inside, I am just a purple bunny.
    You can critique my French. :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Violet Lapin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Previously I used tattoonan as my ID on games and website registrations, but this time I thought the little glitches had to have real type names and as I use Solo on my BFG games  I went from that and ended up with Zolo, and of course he had to have a surname too.
    Now I wish there was an option so that we can change our nicks as I'd change to tattoonan in a jiffy.
    Posted 13 years ago by Doctor Hoo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Zolo / tattoonan -- Names can be changed from the account page, though there's a 100 currant fee.
  • Mine is my online alternate identity. I've been using Kaessa online since I played Asheron's Call. It doesn't have any specific meaning, it's just a modification of a name that came up in a random name generator. I started using it on the forums at IGN's Vault about 10 years ago, and it kind of stuck as "me". I've been using it ever since.
    Posted 13 years ago by Kaessa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Newcomers: Where does your avatar's name come from?
  • Sid is my name, and Soloveitchik was the surname of my great-grandfather before he moved to the U.S. from Belarus. Kind of boring.
    Posted 13 years ago by Sid Soloveitchik Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That's sweet Sid :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is a character from Doctor Who (I am ~so~ original, I know) 
    But if you're not a fan of the show, let me tell you this: Rory Pond is the most badass-yet-also-utterly-adorable man ever. If you watch the show I assume you know that already. ;)
    Posted 13 years ago by Loki Laufeyson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm named after this 1950s electronic track by Raymond Scott.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cindy Electronium Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Saulie is the shortened version of the username I prefer to use on the internet. I usually go by cherishedsaulie. The first time I cam across the word was at the Futility Closet blog and the definition they gave was: saulie n. a hired mourner at a funeral. I liked how the syllables of the word sounded together. Plus as a smush name, it made sense, kind of ...

For Glitch, I decided to shortened it to 'saulie' because it made sense as a character name.
    Posted 13 years ago by Saulie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One of my geeky interests is reading about and studying different cultures and systems of belief. The Haitian religion of Vodou is perhaps one of the most honest and beautiful faiths I’ve ever come to study.

And so that’s what inspired my name; the ‘Papa’ being homage to Papa Legba; one of the most honoured Lwa/Loa among Vodouisants/Hounsi

Papa V
    Posted 13 years ago by Papa Vodou Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Brothers Karamazov. I'm female, so I stuck an a on the end. Karamazova.
    Yup.
    Posted 13 years ago by Karamazova Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A My Little Pony :P You know, the first ones that came out as toys, they had a set of males which was only released in the UK.
    Posted 13 years ago by Sunburst Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My name is my 501st Legion ID. TK (stormtrooper) 855, reporting for duty.
    Posted 13 years ago by TK-855 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I used to play FFXI a lot. My character was a Tarutaru named Fait. Faitaru was a nickname an ingame friend made up for me. Being as it was the only original name I'd ever used/been called online, I adopted it for most things.
    Posted 13 years ago by faitaru Subscriber! | Permalink