Topic

Any Secrets the Devs wish unmasking?

Possibly a bit more insight on the Interragation room or the penatly box? Or how about what happened to the gum trees? Anything else we have no idea about? Please Tell Us! I'd love to know that in the end, my butler turned evil and started helping the rooks wipe out Ur in some quest. There was something i've been wondering about awhile too: Whats with the sea monster?

Posted 11 years ago by Taco Assassin Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Wow, the player-created quests would have been fantastic. A great way for players to help each other out (and donate iMG to each other, which was always really high on my wish list). 

And thanks for sharing the Motes Map -- I can see where that might have been difficult to implement, but I love the Plexus look to it where it looks like each place is firing off a different brain imagination synapse or something. Way cool.
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Coco Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh wow! The butler quests would have been so awesome! Thanks for sharing that, Kukubee!
    Posted 11 years ago by Chazerei Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for sharing! I would like to give you a caterpillar, but I am afraid I can not reach to my bags right now.
    Posted 11 years ago by nekomaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree with my fellow Glitchen, the "player-made butler quest" concept is awesome, Kukubee. :))
    Posted 11 years ago by Leïla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aww, the Complete World made me tear up a bit. Thanks for sharing it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Chelseathing Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow. I'm really enjoying these tidbits & images, Kukubee! Thank you for sharing.

I agree, player-created butler quests would've rocked hard. 

This all makes me a little sad, but I shall have to content myself with the fact that I was a part of this awesome awesome world for just a little while. Think about the folks who never even got to see Ur! Poor saps.
    Posted 11 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There's one question I never got an answer to.

Why doesn't Helga have a nose?  (This leads in to a larger question of "What exactly *are* Helga and Uncle Friendly?" but the nose-lacking was the important part to me.)
    Posted 11 years ago by Magic Monkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glad you guys enjoy seeing 'em!
    I'll post more then! Since it's all going down the garbage anyways!

Today's idea that never made it:
    Street Happiness

This was a proposal I was working on that I didn't have time to think through all the way. But essentially, I was working on something where all streets should have a hidden "happiness" meter.
    Sort of like your town score in Animal Crossing or your Environment score in the Sims. And the happiness can be raised by decking it out with various decorations you craft, win, or buy. There was a deeper proposal in the works which included consumable decorations that you can win in Projects/Feats and place in any street in the world. And every street would have their own individual level of happiness.
    Happier streets harbored resources/animals with better yield, trees grow a little faster, quoins with higher output, etc.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kukubee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ooh, this would have been great fun! I know streets could have become "hidden happiness zones" for different clans of Glitchen.

Love all the idea-ness at TS & would have loved to have been in staff meetings when new street names for new regions were bandied about!!
    Posted 11 years ago by katyroo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A Rube-shaped hedge! Need I say more? :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Asthner Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aww I'm loving all these! Thanks Kukubee for sharing :) I had a wish for player created quests, that's so awesome you were working toward that goal. And that map made me gasp, so big! so much possibility.
    Posted 11 years ago by QueenKellee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I made sad to see "since it's all going down the garbage" so much hard work and dreams lost. *big hugs for the developers* We lost our game, but they lost their "baby."
    Posted 11 years ago by ♥shay♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So sweet of you to share all of this with us, Kukubee!
    Posted 11 years ago by Genkicoll Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for sharing. I often wondered if when I petted trees, piggies, etc whether the streets were happier. I always liked to think so. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Today's offering from the garbage bin:

Custom Dolls!

This one would've been relatively easy to do. We already had the technology to do all or most of it. We just didn't do it because I didn't try hard enough to make it happen!
    The dolls would've been crafted with thread/fabric and would've had customizable head/face/hat/body/legs/clothes/etc like the butler. But it'd be a doll you can program with phrases like the gnome. But you'd be able to put it in your inventory and give 'em to your friends.
  • I would have loved the custom dolls, both to have and to give as gifts, (the dev dolls would have been awesome too)
    but
    Kukubee please stop saying you didn't try hard enough, it really makes me sad :'(
    Posted 11 years ago by Faereluth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Those would have been so awesome!
    Posted 11 years ago by Sally Slingshot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The custom dolls would have been a lovely touch, both as gifts as well as home decor. I wouldn't have minded a disco chicken ^^
    Posted 11 years ago by DOOMy Nutpuncher Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You *did* try hard enough, Kukubee! We would have had sooo many custom dolls in our houses & towers!
    Posted 11 years ago by katyroo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Custom Dolls! That would've been awesome. I would've COVERED my house in them! :D
  • Y'all have such great ideas. I'll miss you. *sigh*
    Posted 11 years ago by smileyface Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Custom dolls! Now my heart is breaking a little bit more.
    Posted 11 years ago by Vague Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I want moreee. Kuke, you should give us two a day! We are hungry for more! *licks lips*
    Posted 11 years ago by NightDraconis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, awesome. I so want a Rube hedge and a piggy doll. Like, here, at my house.
  • Thanks guys! It is sad to think of all the things that we didn't get to do, but if we did them they would've been in lieu of other features that we ended up doing instead. And there will always be the "I wish we had done this and that" feeling. I'm proud of the work and the people I worked with to do the things we DID get done!

But enough of that sappy crap! More stuff we DIDN'T do, cause that's more fun to talk about!

NightDraconis asked for two, so here's two.
    They're sort of in the same family of fundamental goals.
    After we did quoin sharding, I realized we can use that technology on all sorts of things where people get bonuses for doing activities around each other.
    So I thought...

Birthday cakes: GROUP CAKE EATING!

aaaaand...

oOOoOOoo stories by the camp fire!
    This one would've been cool if it extended beyond home streets and allowed people to build campsites that deteriorated over time on any public street as local, impromptu gathering circles.

I wanted to give people more and more reasons to want to hang out and do things together like what sharding started to do.
  • Ooooh! Awesomeawesomeawesome. And I feel a tiny bit sad. But thank you so much for sharing more things! Love them.
    Posted 11 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Man. This stuff. This is the type of stuff I loved about this game. I'm not upset we didn't get it, just knowing you were thinking about giving us this type of stuff is amazing. For that matter, the game always felt like this - like you were all finding ways of making things more awesome just because you could. This stuff. This is why I played.
    Posted 11 years ago by foolbunny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I feel like even though Glitch may not have been self-sustaining, it was a fantastic incubator and testing ground for new innovations in game mechanics of the sort Kukubee is unveiling. While the new ways we learned to play together, socially and collaboratively, could easily be exported to other games, I don't believe they would have been so easily discovered in any other sort of gaming environment. Glitch really cultivated such innovation and gave ideas and experiments the space to grow and evolve with and around both players and devs. THAT'S the value of Glitch that I cannot see being replicated.
    Posted 11 years ago by Jenllip Subscriber! | Permalink
  • LOL, love the marshmellow idea. I'm a big fan of cooking mama too :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Tabbykittie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • omg kukubee, these items are so cool! I love all of these ideas. I really hope one day we can revive Glitch.
    Posted 11 years ago by ☠ lala512 ☠ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kukubee!!

Cake, I had been asking for a sharable cake for umm . . . hold on . . . ok around 15 months, just ask E-yon, amazed to see that it was considered and yours would have been even better . . . ((hugs))

And your camp fire would have so fitted in with the idea I had for touring holidays in Ur . . . what possibilities.

I agree with the others Glitch nurtured a culture that allowed us to explore our imaginations . . . I wish I'd be brave enough to share my ideas with more than a few . . . hey ho . . . lets see what else you have in that dustbin lol maybe there's ideas there we can use in another world :D
  • That full map..... :'(

Will Glitch ever reopen?
    Posted 11 years ago by Klikini Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh yay, I didn't think asking for more would work xD love those cakes and the campfires Kuke :D
    Posted 11 years ago by NightDraconis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So cool to see all the things that might have happened!

Was there any plans for ride-able animals? Would love to have been able to ride a chicken or piggie around Ur. It could have been faster than walking.

Imagine traveling along streets dangling underneath a butterfly as they pull you along!
    Posted 11 years ago by VickyAlice139 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • jdhfjkshf. So many things that could have happened but didn't...;(
    Posted 11 years ago by Akane Tuna Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Birthday Cake & Campfire ideas are awesome! Maybe then there could have been party hats & motorhome/camper coats to wear.
    Posted 11 years ago by Vague Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yay for campfire ^^
    And version 10 million  would have been the one where glitchen could actually sit on stuff :p
    Posted 11 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just want to know how the streets got named, and what other regions would have been.

This thread rocks.
    Posted 11 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nifty! I like the cake, but especially the campfires. I've wanted a real campfire ever since the first time I saw one of the bog campfires.

Though we'd need the option for what I do when roasting marshmallows -- setting them on fire and waving them around.
  • I often wondered if the other animals were drawn

www.glitch.com/ballot/anima...

and if so what resorces were planned for them,
  • Wow, Alpaca got a high amount of votes. I wonder how an alpaca would look like, drawn by Kukubee. :)

This topic makes me miss Glitch even more. The staff and community were all really nice, and the game was the cutest game I have ever seen. But also I am curious about what could have implemented into the game.
    Posted 11 years ago by Luna Neko Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have to say how much I love seeing all the ideas that didn't make it into Glitch -- thank you for sharing!
    Posted 11 years ago by Orange Canary Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can see I am in fantastic company....still enjoying what we can of our beloved Glitch.  I look at my album of precious snaps and enjoy "seeing" my home, my animals, my possessions, friends, the scenery.  I have enjoyed reading about what could have been and love the cake and campfire ideas.  The love for Glitch runs deep.  Thanks for the time we had and all that is being shared.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pick A Lily Subscriber! | Permalink
  • <3 <3 <3 I love it! 

But also, I love my marshmallow burnt! ;p 
    Posted 11 years ago by NutMeg Botwin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • nom nom cake nom nom
  • I don't know the sort of development secrets that Kuke does, or more accurately, I don't really remember any since I wasn't too deep into cooking up stuff, but I have something that was peculiar to me which sort of secrety.

When Game of Crowns was in development and we were testing it before launch, I constantly referred to it as Crown of Thorns, much to the amusement of my colleagues. I think it was some subliminal thing conflating the name Game of Thrones (and twisting thrones to thorns) which people were often discussing in our internal IRC channels. I don't watch it, and I'm not particularly religious, so it was rather bizarre it got stuck in my head. I had to catch myself in Live Help a number of times, and probably let it go out as that on an occasion or two. To this day, I still mentally correct myself when thinking about it.
    Posted 11 years ago by kevbob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • HA! Kevbob - there might have been some push-back if your name had stuck!

BUT that does raise a question - did the staff all agree on how street and region names should be pronounced? I remember a thread sometime back on how we each say certain streets. (Siuruan Untold or Quluuwaa Luwa, for example).

ps. I absolutely want a piggy topiary.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Kukubee (or any other Speckers):

I was playing Animal Crossing the other day and noticed some similarities between some of the igloo games and interactions with the Rube. Can you confirm whether or not Animal Crossing was a source of inspiration?

Likewise, were there any specific games that folks at Tiny Speck would say notably influenced the design, art, and gameplay of Glitch?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
    Posted 11 years ago by Lead Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I know for sure that there were ghosts for the faded heart that were never discovered and listed in the Glitch Strategy list. I know this, because I spent the last days in the game trying to get my faded heart (it just felt so fitting to end the game with that deed done).

I cried my heart out about not being able to complete the quest on Global on the very last evening (EU time), and a very kind member of the staff started giving me subtle hints where I should still check (trying not to hand me the location on a silver plate, I still had to put effort into it). After another two or three hours of running circles through the last two remaining regions and still not finding the last ghost, on the brink of giving up because it was getting REALLY late for me) the same staff member took me to a street I had triple checked before and then led me to certain spot where I saw... absolutely nothing. I started jumping and must have touched something invisible, because only then did the ghost appear and thanked me for finding it. My guess is that this ghost was for some reason bugged, so that a normal player just could not see it (but members of staff could).

We chatted a few minutes after that, and then I was let in on the information that in fact there still were undiscovered ghost locations.

I will refrain from naming the staff member (I am sure you know who you are!) because I don't want to cause any problems for the person in question - you can out yourself now if you want - and perhaps reveal the undiscovered ghost locations, if only to complete the archived information on Glitch Strategy! :-)
    Posted 11 years ago by Bradogar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As an avid ghost hunter and hunt/tour operator, I'd love to know about the undiscovered ghost locations. I had 49 locations charted (only 40 listed in the wiki), including one that couldn't be seen even with the faded heart. Where were the others??
    Posted 11 years ago by Kip Konner Subscriber! | Permalink